Non-Fic Anything I should seriously be concerned about Zoom?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm having my first Zoom meeting and I don't know shit. Instructions? I can find them. What I'm concern are the issues users who run Zoom have experienced so far. What should I be wary of when I use Zoom?

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Data mining.

3. Ha-Ha

Ha-Ha A chance to love you, protect you, Shen Anxin.

Reading List:
    Link
    Just make sure your network connection is very good, otherwise meeting and screen-sharing ( if you do use it) may not go fine, there’ll be a frozen screen, broken voices, abrupt log outs are there too.

Sometimes the screen sharing turns off by itself. Be alert of the the 37-40 mins time limit if you’re attending a free meeting.

It’s better not just to admit everyone in the waiting room. Some people with fake names join just for the giggles and shit and ruin the entire meeting by creating disturbances. Just lock the meeting for times like these.

Ofc, don’t forget the possibility of information privacy being breached.

4. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I even stop that when I need to use Zoom?
    Shit.

5. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just prepare some bogus identity to get in anything.

6. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    The security is questionable, you should be more careful I guess

7. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally haven't used Zoom. I actually don't even have a webcam and after a quick check on Amazon, there are pretty much none available. I've seen some youtubers mention the price of webcams have been jacked up massively due to so many people needing them. Oh well. Anyway, learn from the fails of those who proceeded you.

https://www.etonline.com/zoom-fails...-from-home-during-coronavirus-outbreak-144405
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-flashes-seven-year-olds-classmates-Zoom.html
    https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/man-ac...ng-zoom-meeting-with-brazil-president-2230988

Double check what is behind you. You don't want to accidentally show something which may be controversial and have people get upset. In addition, you don't want to show a sheet of usernames & passwords either.

8. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can use it on your phone and you can also use it on the computer without video.

9. Royalkkk

Royalkkk Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are using zoom for educational purposes, then please ready your eyes and ears, remove anything that can distract you, and go sit somewhere bright. Why? Because it’s going to be sosososososooo hard to learn and focus on getting something from it. Try responding from time to time as well even if you don’t like to because it helps you get into the discussion.

10. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the meeting is too long and the person is droning on then you'll probably get sleepy if you're too comfortable.

11. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Just make sure you block the camera when not in use i guess.
    Oh and it has no end to end encryption so beware what you uses them for.

12. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is for laptop. (I do not know about mobile). Also, this is if you are a participant and not the instructor.
    You have the choice to download zoom or join by browser.
    To join by browser click join and then words would appear at the bottom that would say network connection failed join by browser. Click on the blue words.
    It would ask you to input a name. [You may need to do a gatcha].
    [Note: The order above may vary.]
    You may need to wait for permission from your instructor to enter the chat or you can go directly in. This depends on what setting your instructor used/uses.
    [Note: if you need to wait for permission and you are using the browser, your audio may not work so you will need to rejoin.]
    Then you click on join by (computer?) Audio.
    Click on participants and go to your name. You will see if your microphone is on or not. Unless your instructor mutes everyone before they made the zoom meeting, your mic (or camera) may be on. [I do not remember if there are shortcuts to the camera and mic.]
    If you want to see the chat, then click on chat.
    [Note: If you like to have a full screen, the participants and chat will cover ~1/4 of your screen. If you rejoin (or refresh your page), the chat will disappear and your mic (or camera) may turn on.]

Download is the same (skip the browser) but your name is automatically there. Also, you need to download the program before your class starts.
    [Not sure if you can change your name.]

Check the zoom meeting code to see if they are the same because one of my prof used the same code but the date was wrong to access it. For example, A = Tues, B = Wed, C = Thurs, we needed to access the Tuesday class but it was scheduled the next Tuesday which the code was A. There was confusion and there was a lecture. This happened a couple of times.
    Check your instructor name. If there is a red dot beside their name then they are recording. [The top left corner (?) would also say recording.]
    If they are showing a YouTube video, then the audio quality is not good unless they sync their computer which they can find in their settings.
    Hopefully your instructor will give you a mp3 or mp4 recording of your meeting.
    If your instructor changes their camera, the participants and chat tab will disappear giving you a full screen.

You can virtually raise your hand or give expressions. You can directly message your instructor if you do not want others to see your question.

Depending on your instructor's setting, the chat may or may not be recorded.

Edit: I may have misread your 'I can find the instructions' to can't.
    An issue I can think of would be the connection. Not too sure about privacy.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  13. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you attending a public discussion meetings, or something with a more limited attendance (under 100 or so)? if it's the former, watch out for some people spamming pictures, 18-rated pics and the likes. I think Zoom have fixed this problem, though i'm not sure.

Don't use the chat feature for anything personal, even if its the private chat feature. The host still could see the content.

And as a general precaution on vidcalls, make sure that your partner wouldn't enter the room naked while your video is on :cookie:

14. SassyCanoeWizard

SassyCanoeWizard Allure of the unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    I encountered next issues. I needed to have a conversation with professor and so i login beforehand. Good thing i checked: i had trouble with sound. Just dragged levers in sound settings and somehow it worked.

Onto the other hand, if you know that you will have a meeting, login beforehand. I once tried to login only to be stopped by notification that i need to update Zoom before participating

Onto the actual usage. U press the link and it will open in your zoom application which you hopefully installed . The whole process is not hard to get used to