LCD Apotheosis of a Demon – A Monster Evolution Story

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Aug 21, 2019.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant in general, not just Shedy. I think he's going slow because 1) he's not likely to get another meal this good for a while (unless he figures out the connection to Earth again) and 2) the more panic and fear he sows before he kills, the better the meal tastes, according to Shedy. So its in his best interests, and also likely his hobby, to play with his food.

2. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    The players would probably be pretty worthless against Fiorfata. Honestly, unless they get a major power up before being sent, I'm not sure they'd be much use for smashing saplings either. Still, the cat probably knows that, so I wonder if they'll be powered up directly or put into monster-weapon avatars. Either way, I hope they're smart enough to focus on the saplings. If they die to Fiorfata they'll just be giving him a direct path to Earth.

3. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm kinda surprised that no one decided to be a bunny beastman.

4. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If she's only at 130k CP at level 32, then she's still going to be much weaker than Fiorfata after hitting level 99 if she doesn't rank up into a demon lord herself. Though, as her power level starts getting closer to his, she should probably start holding back a bit to keep his confidence levels up.

Well, on the bright side, dealing with them shouldn't be that hard. She'll just have to drag the fight their way and they'll all die quite quickly.

5. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    It occurs to me that she's no longer anywhere close to Fiorfata. As such, she could use the World Tree Network to travel to all the trees and quickly destroy them while the dragons are keeping him occupied. They should be quite good at baiting him after all, and can even drag him around in areas with minimal populations. If that ever stops working, then the World Tree can simply tell her and she can go back to what she was doing, but with much greater ease since she'd be much more powerful.

6. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because if you forgot, rabbit beastmen don't exist and never have existed on this world. I'm sure that had some kind of effect on what they could become.

7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    But they can create whatever kind of vessel they want. That's how they made all the warmachine style monster avatars. I find it very hard to believe that none of the developers tried to create a bunny beastman avatar after Shedy started becoming popular.

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    "Marlene the Sage wanted the glory to be hers alone." You have to wonder if this woman ever did anything to justify her title as a Hero.

So, what happens if the dark pixies destroy one of the saplings? Does the world tree get infected? Does she still get the white stone?

9. Neiden

Neiden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There were Rabbit Beastmen before.
    It's just that they were so popular with nobles for some reasons that they went extinct.
    Damn perverts destroying a Blessing like the Rabbit Beastmen should be hanged by their balls/ovaries.

RealSaMu likes this.
  10. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Why wouldn't she. Its just Shedy doesn't seem to like them pixies much. Too bloodthirsty for her taste I guess

11. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Because anything killed by the pixies becomes a pixie. That being the case, it may prevent the world tree from reclaiming the sapling's soul, thus preventing the birth of a new sapling, and thus preventing the creation of a white stone.

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    So, why not just teleport behind her and stab her a few times? Or direct her Causality attack at the gun instead of its wielder?

Why wouldn't Marlene know to target the explosions at the MC's feet? She an f'ing combat mage with centuries(?) of experience. She should know more about explosions than most soldiers ever could.

Is there a reason why a gifted mage wouldn't have been able to cast any spells after being seized by Shedy? Or to prevent foreign magic from being shoved into her? Or for her to have failed to have defensive measures other than the sacrificial talismans? Or are we just going to blame her being insane for her unbelievably incompetent showing in that fight? Seriously, if you gave those tools to any random villager A, they would have given a better showing than the supposed Hero mage.

13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    She probably wanted to maintain her distance until she knew what she was dealing with. Also, MC doesn't have much combat experience either. As for why not target the gun, the talismans may protect the wielder plus anything on them. Otherwise forget targeting the gun you can target their clothes or the rock they are standing on. So I am guessing they are like a protection field and anything in the field is protected.

Same reason why one punchman doesn't know martial arts? She is a genius at magic, and her talent was caught early. So most of her fighting exercise would be knights protecting her and he just shooting overkill magic. Which wouldn't be a problem for large monsters which most of them were. Small monsters that are strong and fast are generally pretty rare.

That said, I think her fundamental problem was that she didn't think an indirect hit would do enough damage. And she has limited amounts of bullets that each one she considered precious.

End of the day, either can be a correct call. The difference is that the corporation has been recording her fighting style and coming up with countermeasures. So it isn't to say the soldiers attacking someone's feet is always the correct answer, it simply a correct answer against fighting HER. And what she would consider most troublesome.

The magic power difference between Sheddy and the mage is worlds apart. Do remember that the Demon Lord is 6X stronger than Sheddy and she is at its mercy like a bug. 1000 of Sheddy's mana only hurts 100 mana of the Demon Lord and 100 mana of the Demon Lord hurts her 1000 mana.

The difference between Sheddy and the sage is even larger.

If not for the fact that:
    1) The sage made special countermeasures against her
    2) Sheddy was conserving mana
    3) Sheddy's lack of battle experience

This wouldn't have even been a 10 second fight in the first place.

14. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    I think heroes are just born with good stats and that’s it

15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I was under the impression that the Sage had fought a great many enemies, most of which wouldn't be large monsters. After all, most large monsters have hordes around them.

Also, aiming an explosive at a target's feet instead of the target is just common sense in general. Its much harder to dodge/miss. If there's a delay in the explosion, you might not want to do it. Same goes if there's special armor considerations. But otherwise, aiming for the feet is usually the best call.

As for indirect damage not being enough, after the first few misses it was obvious that a direct hit wasn't going to happen unless Shedy was off balance, and she'd already seen that the explosion could knock Shedy down. So, indirect hit to destabilize followed by direct hit to kill. If she didn't believe that even that would work, then she should have run away long before she ran out of ammo.

I get that there was basically no way that the Sage's magic was going to hurt Shedy, but it might have protected her from being grabbed, allowed her to teleport away, created a clone of her for Shedy to grab instead, etc., etc. Pure power isn't the only determinant in a mage duel. She had studied magic her entire life and was widely acknowledged as one of the most gifted in her field. She should have been much, much better at using it than Shedy whose only been doing a small number of spells for a very short period of time. She almost certainly couldn't have killed Shedy, but running away shouldn't have been a problem for her.
    I thought they were blessed by elementals, which caused them to have greater talent in their field and exhibit unique traits?

16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Hordes are always weak monsters, if you ever played a mage class in an MMO, you AOE them down.

To be honest, I think that is mostly Earth logic. We here on earth are bound by gravity. In a fantasy world with stats, someone jumping into mid-air, double jumps and etc would make fighting far more complex. If anything, aiming above them to keep them grounded would probably be a better strategy as you limit their movements on a 2d plane.

Even more so since jumping into the air tends to be standard reflex. (based on playing games where people could fly or jump beyond human means).

If you remember, Sheddy points out that she possibly could have been hit if she rapid fired faster but due to her hesitation in using the bullets there were short gaps which let her dodge easier.

Shooting the ground or near misses wouldn't have made a difference in terms of getting a 2nd hit in. Hitting the ground would have whittled down Sheddy's mana. But I don't think the sage realizes Sheddy is made of pure mana, otherwise she would have used a different approach. Instead she most likely thinks sheddy is a living demihuman with high regeneration and morph abilities. So you need to take them out with 1 strong hit.

And I don't think running away would work, I mean she has gone mad, even if she killed the Dark Lady that wouldn't solve the whole world annihilating monster thing. If she still kept her cool, she would have found a way to make them both kill each other via mutual KO.

Realistically a spell wouldn't have stopped Sheddy at all, she could easily nullify it with her abundant mana. Not to mention as a magical being that doesn't feel pain in same way humans do, she could just go through it if she accepts the damage.

But do remember, the sage has never fought someone with higher magic than her. Even the other heroes are melee combat types. Magic creatures are also rare.

She is also more of a researcher than a combatant in the first place.

17. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    that is one way to look at it except she fight behind the soldiers by firing magics indiscriminately. Although indiscriminately isn't exactly correct since she's purposely letting some orcs alive to make an achievement farm.
    Sadly, author only uses the magic as a tool to advance the plot. They didn't use it as one of the element of the story and explained/constructed a kind of magic system.
    it's been hinted that the human relied too much on the mana provided by the sapling which can be taken as they don't polish their technique nor their tactic good enough to combat monsters and only rely on the raw power of the equipment/technologies provided by the temple. It was even stated in the last five chapter that they stopped relying on the heroes if I'm not wrong.

18. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    reminds me that one time where Ainz planted magic air mines when he fight shalltear in overlord.
    I don't remember there are any magic based creature (something like a demon) in the story besides Shedy. Author did mention that there's a possibility of a demon taking over the world tree if the world tree summon an actual demon which in turn will make a demon lord notice the world tree. I like the part about the demon where they serve as a kind of balance system not just simply a wicked creatures. That doesn't stop their cruel acts, though. :blobReach:

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Explosions are AoEs...

Unless you have a way to kick off the air, this is actually the stupidest way to handle it. After all, if you're trapped in the air, then you're super easy to hit (comparatively speaking). Though, if you're worried about that, and you don't have a remote trigger on your projectile, then you should still either aim at the ground or use a different weapon entirely. If you can't hit with the explosion, then you're certainly not going to hit with the projectile.
    She said that, but I think that was her inexperience showing. Muskets are not rapid fire weapons anyway. Even if the Sage had been super confident about spending her ammo, she still wouldn't have been able to fire quickly simply because she had to reload after each bullet.
    Why would you say that? It was clearly stated that the explosions were strong enough to knock her down. That isn't me speculating. Its what the author actually wrote.
    Whether or not it would work doesn't have much to do with her being mad though? I mean, it can explain why she didn't do it, but it doesn't explain why she wouldn't have been able to. Well, unless the madness had completely destroyed her ability to focus well enough to cast spells period, but that wasn't mentioned.
    I don't think you actually read what you quoted if this is your response...
    You don't get the title of Hero by being a researcher. It was stated on numerous occasions that she did in fact go out to fight, both with the other heroes and with various armies. She may have also gone out solo, but I don't recall.
    True, but that's for humanity as a whole. You don't get to be a Hero by slacking off. Though, its possible that she's been doing research and slacking off so much since she got the title that she's completely forgotten how to fight.

20. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Unlike the blademaster and the warrior, the sage only doing it for the fame and title. She trains and/or acts enough to get them.