Discussion Arachne vs Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by armad224, Apr 16, 2021.

Tags:
?

Which do you think is better ?(at least finished the short one and read a part of the long one)

1. arachne

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  1. armad224

armad224 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    those two novels one is short and extremely good , I recommend to everyone but the other is annoying and too long and is filled with unnecessary lengthening
    can you guess which one is the good one and which is the bad
    Arachne
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

[​IMG]

2. king cooly

king cooly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed both.
    You should also keep in mind that most writers aren't professionals and that most webnovels are pretty rough around the edges.
    Things usually get better with light novels.

Miercing and Napelynn like this.
  3. Dyone

Dyone [Ice cream] [awkward duck] [Yonyon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kumo is, imo, sufffering from it's success.
    it is succesful, therefor the author makes more and also has to bring it to a satisfactory(?) ending.

But due to the quantity rising, and the amount of background info too, the quality starts suffering.
    Even if the quality is objectively the same, it doesn't feel that way since it can be considered "a succesful novel" which increases expectations.

perhaps it may have been smarter to cut out a few of the (side) stories and write them as spinoffs/ side novels. (shun's adventure for example), with a few perspective shifts instead of a large number of side stories going into details, though i did enjoy the approach due to it's forshadowing potential and how well it made use of it, by making us (atleast me at first) think it was all happening at the same time, despite there being a large time gap perspective-wise.

but eh, overall i think the author did a good job, though i feel like it may have been smarter to end it earlier in a clean way like
    "kumo joins D's pantheon"
    and leave an open ending for a potential sequal series.
    (i'm aware that the spoiler may be unneeded but i feel like i need to add it for some reason)

Miercing likes this.
  4. CovetousWolf

CovetousWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didnt read first, but Kumo is just typical japanese isekai.
    There is nothing good about it and nothing bad, if you are avarage reader/
    But if you want depth, good plot, good characters and etc. - then almost any japanese novel it is not what you are need to read, especially ANY isekai novel.

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Kumo" has significantly better writing and better world building than just about any of the other isekai webnovels. Hell, the characters even have personalities and goals and stuff like that - when do you ever see that kind of thing in these kinds of books? (And if you do, please direct me to them.)

6. CovetousWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Many of KR or CN novels if you count them.
    From JP the last thing i was reading: My death flags are not ending(or something similar), Slime something something and i something about power in the shadows.
    Also asking for a good isekai novel is no no. There is no good isekai novels. All characters are immature, stupid and idealized. You will almost never find isekai novel with characters similar to Fang Yuan from Reverend Insanity, Leylin from magus of the warlock world, MC from FFF trash hero or Lucien from throne of magical arcana.
    Characters from jp isekai are always beta males or some character with exaggerated feature like loving to eat, sleep or harass little girls/boys and etc. They are all same and boring. Their worlds almost always illogical, like killing demon lord but without explanation what is this demon lord or how humanity survived before they were developed enough to craft weapons and etc.
    There is almost never any character development in isekai novels because they are written mostly for stupid teens who are yet to develop a taste for good books.

randomilo likes this.
  7. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't read archane yet so gonna go vote for Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka

8. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not on novel updates to read short but good novels. I'm here to read long trashy episodic novels. It's like, sure the Wire is an amazing TV show, but why not just sit back and watch Sam and Dean fuck up some paranormals in Supernatural? If I wanted a real good quality read... I'd read real books. Not that all of them are good reads, it's just easier to find them there than here.

anyways, I wouldn't say Kumo is a typical Japanese isekai. It's more self-aware than that, but you oinly really find out later in the story. If you think it's a typical Japanese isekai, either you haven't read many of them or you haven't gotten far enough into Kumo for it to subvert some of your expectations.

9. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    That's exactly it! There are a ton of competently written Chinese and (probably) Korean novels. Decent characterization and world building should be common in just about any of these books that are worth paying attention to.

But the thing is, "Kumo" is a Japanese web novel. And within Japanese web novel circles, none of this can be taken for granted. Most of the noteworthy books on Syosetu are written by people who have no idea what good creative writing is, and they don't care that they don't know. "Kumo" is an exception in that the writer actually knows what he's doing, and I think that a competent isekai novel is a pretty big deal. Honestly, if more isekai novels were as written as well as "Kumo" I'd read a lot more of them, and I'd change my outlook on them.

10. CovetousWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Being less smelly piece of shit still doesnt mean kumo is not a piece of shit.

11. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    That's one way to look at it. But if a reader has any interest in Japanese isekai, then "Kumo" is definitely a good way to go.

12. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's nothing developed about the characters you mentioned, except maybe trash hero at least non of them are better than kumo

13. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bro, no game no life and Konasuba are Japanese isekai novels and are amazing.

14. CovetousWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    I didnt talked about development. Both Reverend insanity and warlock of the magus world - already mature and developed characters from the begining. They will not run to save random loli in trouble, they will not play hero like stupid kids. What is developing in this worlds are other characters and world which responds to actions of MC.

1) Konosuba is a comedy and i like it but you cant expect from parody/comedy genre anything like solid plot and character depth. It is notheir purpose.
    2) For me no game no life is piece of shit. Like, why another world are playing games of earth or how a immortal and magical beings can be defeated by random things like supernove, hell, even now humans cant be sure what exactly is happening in space but author is trying to portray any shit MC is talking like a solid truth.

15. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems to me that you want a specific type of hero/genre and anything different is bad for you

16. powwder

Reading List:
    Link
    if you watch the movie for no game no life it actually explains a lot. It's based on the 6th volume. also you can't take novel math or novel science seriously since it is fiction.

17. CovetousWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, i saw anime, i saw it was a shit without any logic(for me) i droped it and forget.
    Like any random magical being can defeat MC just by starting a game where magic involved but instead they are playing stupid games from earth, lol.
    Also there is many holes in logic of the world.

powwder likes this.
  18. powwder

Reading List:
    Link
    The logic makes sense later but if your not interested that’s cool sinc everyone has their own preferences.

to explain the logic though basically in the past there existed gods and they created races and fought each other for control of the world. Countless lives were lost and humans were basically powerless nothings that had to hide to survive. The war ended when a human basically devised a plan to trick the other races and end the war. His actions caused the god of games to be born and become the one true god and since that humans wish was for war to end the one true god outlawed killing/murder and all that stuff and made it so everything is a game.

if your talking about logic as in they play games from earth, that’s just because it’s a fiction novel and something people can easily relate too. Instead of making this weird new game and trying to explain the rules they can just say chess and people get the general gist of it. It’s like when they bring “science” into novels with magic. The MC knows how normal fire burns and that somehow makes his magical fire stronger kind of thing.

19. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    I basically prefer Kumo Desu ga Nani ka? than Arachne haha the reason? because i've read the former first and got me to particularly like Monster MC genre

20. CovetousWolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Even in your explanation there is already flaw, like, how humans are going to survive against beastfol, elves, angels and demons and etc.?
    Also thats the point. I just cant read a novel where author trying to justify things in novel just because it is a novel. Like you can explain how knowing how fire burn can improve your ability to use fire magic because universe is vast and there is likely that laws are similar everywhere but you cant explain a place with different history, culture and races having same games as earth by saying "it is just novel so accept it".