Question Are the manga versions worth reading?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Walter vi Britannia, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Alone Level-Up (This this mostly what I want your opinion on, manga version called Solo Leveling.)

A Wild Last Boss Appeared (This is just an extra I thought I should also ask about cause I'm asking anyway.)

Because I Reincarnated as a Succubus, I’ll Squeeze Out Milk (I also just remembered this one, so why the heck not? I already read the manga as far as I can, so I just wanna know if I should start the novel all over again or if I can skip beginning chapters.)

Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess’ Fiance (And since I'm adding stuff at will, I'll throw in this one too. I actually read both the novel and manga for this one, I just wanna know your opinion on it to make sure if your thoughts on it are to my liking, so I can judge the others by.)

...sorry, I get off track a lot. Anyway, is Solo Leveling manhwa(?) worth reading? I mean, as in, I want to read the manga version and then continue the story from the novel. If it's not worth it, I'd rather just read the novel. Or if the manga version is better, I would rather just read that one, I honestly don't mind...even if one is further behind on story or translation, I just wanna read the better version.

And also, in no way am I gonna be reading both from the beginning, so don't even consider suggesting that. Even if the story diverges or something, I just wanna read the better version. If manga skipped out on stuff, I'll read novel. If manga has extra parts, I'd read the manga. Simple as that. Why am I still talking?

Edit: Adding another one, Suddenly Became A Princess One Day. Sorry. My mind keeps coming up with stuff. Plus, it's got a harem tag on NU. Can someone elaborate what type of harem and how many characters?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm I enjoy reading it and in manhwa you could enjoy the action scenes more compared to the novel one

Give it a try too.

Silvania and Walter vi Britannia like this.
  3. Silvania

Silvania Has returned to Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... as for Observation record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess' Fiance... The manga is very much quite nice. It carries the spirit of the novel well and I look forward to each chapter of it. Observation record though is way too sweet. Expressions are on point

Solo leveling I like the art and seems to convey everything quite well.

Last boss is almost a cute spinoff, Its nice.

I almost always find the manga worth reading unless it is heavily changed or they cut out swaths leading to awkward skips (Cultivation novels are the main offender here) If it does follow the LN/WN the Manga is generally quite nice as you get a different viewpoint on how the world looks/breathes

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  4. The loner

The loner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Alone Level Up manhwa is really good and has one of the best illustration..
    Observation record also a worty reading for me..

otaku31 and Walter vi Britannia like this.
  5. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I also added another one, Suddenly Became A Princess One Day. Do you guys know of it? Is THIS worth reading? (The manga version I mean.)
    Plus, it's got a harem tag on NU. Can someone elaborate what type of harem and how many characters?

6. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Observation record is on point for me. So give it a try. And its only 8chapters in english.

A wild last boss is good so far. Its at the same arc in the translated novel.

7. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    Solo-leveling, as mentioned by posters above me, has great art. Great character designs, character actions are really dynamic and paneling is really creative. It makes full use of its single-page format and I believe it's the best format for this material as to how the action just flows smoothly. It has nice pacing too. It shifted some scenes and added and subtracted some things but it's alright and not that jarring. One of the best novel to manwha adaptations I've ever seen. Or probably the best because it's really good.

I've just seen Observation Record today and it's also good.

otaku31 and Walter vi Britannia like this.
  8. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    im already reading manga/manhwa/comics/or whatever it is before novels so if there's any mangas for that novels why not ? its make us easier to imagining the scene in novel and Solo Leveling manhwa coloring was superb , the shadow soldiers and mc's cold glint was so cool :aww:

9. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel the same way but some mangas tend to skip out on events from novels. Like Kumoko's manga. Although the manga is great and amazing, it didn't adapt the sidestories. (which is still alright in my book since it's easy to distinguish and read out from the novel...plus the side stories in this one can be read later too since it covers a different timeline...which the main story eventually covers but from a different POV, so I get their decision to not adapt it...and honestly, reviews would've dipped for lack of Kumoko like in the novels which they couldn't afford)

What I'm saying is, some adaptations still gloss over a lot of important stuff to bring us to the juicy stuff.

10. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    well manga's adaptation tend to skip the monologue and some side stories which sometimes important to main story and sometimes doesnt affect the original stories. well if you're very focused to the details, it's better to read both but in my preference i dont mind the details if it's not affect main stories :blobpats: if the art was good im fine with it

11. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'll just say, if it's like youjo senki's manga adaption of the novel, I will prefer it above the novel but if it's like the anime adaptation...then forget it. Although the anime is good, it skipped so many good shit. The manga cut out stuff and simplified things in a brilliant way and it make me feel like I missed out on something.

12. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah though i didnt like genderbender well i've read and watch youjo senki there's many part that been skipped just you said , i think it has to do something with the budget of the studio , well it's common problem of animes:blobpensive:

13. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes....

but don't expect too much there will be obviously gutted parts after-all it's main purpose is to advertise the original source.

14. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    TL;DR: Blah blah blah. That's it. Don't even bother reading it. I wrote it and even I don't feel like reading it.

You don't like gender bender? Aww, it's my favorite genre.
    You're missing out. Though I don't know exactly what you're missing out on.

Well, my reason for loving gender bender is kinda sadistic with no respect for the lgtbt whatever community, so I can't speak for it. I just love seeing their confusion and love seeing them try and cope with a new body and it's difficulties, their awkward social interactions and most of all, questioning their sexuality when they start falling for a man, trying to deny it. I just love it so much. That's why even though I love yuri, I refuse to read gender bender yuri, it feels like such a waste of gender bender potential. Also I don't like it when they easily accept the fact that they're a girl now. That's why I truly don't see youjo senki as a gender bender. At most, I just consider it a sub-genre. (it's still my favorite action manga though)

But I get that you guys feel disgusted seeing a former man making out with another man. I don't, so I can easily enjoy my sadistic fetishes.

I've said this before(somewhere), but I'm the type of person who would hire a male prostitute and a female prostitute and have them fuck each other through their reluctance while I watch. I just like seeing people doing something, something they don't want to do, on their own accord (but no intense shit like blackmailing or NTR cheating involved). Just things that could still be considered cute and lovely.

And I specially get your feelings when they end up bearing children. A person who used to be a man bearing children feels weird to talk about...but that's just the best part for me. I find their own emotional dilemmah an ecstasy to read.

But I still won't read yaoi. I know some yaoi stuff also replicates that stuff where a straight guy fall for someone against their sexual orientation, but I still won't read those. I only read heterosexual stuff. I like when they have the possibility of starting a family, only when its a woman and a man do I feel that a romance is complete and satisfying. But I will still end up liking yaoi stuff with the same emotional drama if I took up one...I know that cause I actually once watched a BL anime thinking it was straight, lol. One of the MCs were dressed as a bride on the cover, not my fault. So anyway, it was too interesting to drop so I ended up watching till the end. Loved it but still felt a bit melancholy thinking how they can never have kids and other stuff. To me, two people of the same gender just doesn't fit. I thought how nice it would've been if one of them was a girl. But then again the story wouldn't have been as good if it was. So I (just now) realized that I might have already been a fan of gender bender way before I read my first gender bender. Lol

Well, it seems gender bender is the only thing that can satisfy my desire for that type of romance and leave me satisfied by the end of it too. Cause I might like the romance of yaoi but I can't be satisfied, and normal romance can leave me satisfied but the process is not enough for me. (oh, and by the 'romance of yaoi' I meant when they're straight. If they're both gay from the start, I don't give a fuck, might as well be some straight shit ending with the characters gender bending to the same gender by the end. Completely the opposite of what I want! Which is basically every gender bender yuri out there.)

...sorry, I am using a phone(which I usually don't) so I can't see how much I've written at one time and it's slow to type so my sense of 'what the fuck did I just write' is a bit messed up. (and I also may or may not be high)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  15. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Sololeveling webtoon made me want to read the novel. So definitely recommend.

I like both observation of self proclaimed villianness and suddenly a princess though but they're not translated that far, as i think the novel is translated ahead of both. And for suddenly a princess i remember the king has a harem but i was guessing it might be a reverse harem as there's more than one guy in the wiki who likes mc. The king doesnt care about his harem so it not very prominent in story, as it focuses a lot on mc and king interactions

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  16. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's exactly like the novel, but with pictures, the artstyle is the best around the block at the moment, comparable to that of LMS or Noblesse
    It does not get very much better as far as manwha are concerned.
    In fact the major concern about the Novel is that it lacks in the description department , which is well supplemented in manwha. They did not omit any information as far as I know, In fact it adds depth trough illustration.

As for gender bender discussion I became "anime-Bi" because of genderbender stuff. irl it's a different story , anime characters dont exist afterall

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  17. kimchi fried rice

kimchi fried rice Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a few changes in the manga, but not big ones

18. nevz091

nevz091 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's always good to see a good portrayal of your liking

19. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I alone , has the single best manhwa art style I have seen to date. For that alone you should get to it. If you're like me (have good memory) you will find that you don't have to read , just scroll and watch the pretty pictures. , because I basically remember what's being said in each chapter more or less from memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.