Discussion Aren't they half-useless ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tsuru55, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Poison testers for royalties in isekai.
    I am not an expert in this domain nor i want to google it for some reason but SURELY there are some poisons that are slow acting right ? (that can by pass the time of poison testers checking the food)
    AND EVEN IF THEY DON'T EXIST ! Isekais can sometimes have original stuff = can create an artificial poison that is slow acting.

What do you think ?

2. Noor

Noor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    use magic to detect poison instead and problem solved

3. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the poison testers are trained to taste or otherwise detect the poison?

Or maybe it's just as a safeguard to eliminate the majority of easy to make poisons in order to make it harder to poison someone.
    Like how aeroplanes don't let you take a bomb through security, but you can buy the ingredients to make a bomb in the airport.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  4. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m just trying to remember which Isekai novel even mentions poison tasters...drawing a blank here.o_O

5. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kind of, even if the poison doesn't work as you described, there are still slow acting poison that may kill the royalty over time. Those surely exist.

6. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously all the isekai poison testers have the Appraisal-sama skill that is attached to their tongues.
    It levels up when they detect poison... actually nevermind they would be dead.

7. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they just wish they were dead...they train by eating...:blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful:

Durian.:blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful:

8. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh even in real history no poison testers of older times capable enough to tell a slow action poison (or cumulative one) is in the mix.

9. DXHaseoXD

DXHaseoXD [Forever Alone] [Person who tries to translate]

Reading List:
    Link
    Clearly they taste it and have someone cast appraisal on them to see if they have the poisoned status.

10. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I read about some different kinds of potent and non potent poisons in cultivation novels but in isekai ones, I don't think they specialize in poisons, isekai is about magic, OP characters, killing some demon king, harems and in lots of cases NTR, poison however isn't something of much importance in isekai (worst comes to worst, poison someone, if MC with OP powers is there, he/she will somehow heal the 'patient' otherwise they die because the poison is incurable so poison testers must exist in order to die in the place of their master) and that is my own opinion in this :blob_coffee:

Toralk likes this.
  11. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    N
    Not sure if your oppinion change was intentional or not but your post was funny. o_ob
    Forgot too but this series
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/im-op-but-i-began-an-inn/
    but the part about poison tester is in raws/MTL. Got the cliche "poison is really happy to test the dish of MC because it's ultra delicious".
    Both of you thanks for the info.

12. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    True. That is why when i was creating the thread i edited the title by adding "half". They are still useful against all fast acting poisons.
    Oh that is smart.
    Unless it's more smart to use identify/appraisal on the dish if the isekai got the skill.

13. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I would assume in history that poison testers were there because the craft of poison making was not nearly as scientific as it is now and thus were an actual effective force in preventing a king from ingesting poison. I would think most poisons of the time would be fast acting and incredibly obvious in taste upon ingesting them. Not as a rule but the skill and knowledge to concoct a tasteless and slow acting poison would be hard enough to come by that a poison tester would be enough to safeguard a king in this aspect. Plus any king would kill anyone whom was even rumored to have such capability for even the chance that their knowledge be used against them.

As for isekai. Haven't read one where poison was anything but an easily solved problem through magic... because it's an isekai.

14. fuqifeipian4

fuqifeipian4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they train by taking tiny doses of poisons to get used to them and maybe even identify them? I dunno, think I heard it somewhere.

15. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    So true. Thx for the info. Now i feel smarter.
    Yep, cliche isekais with MC healing poisoned people, ah but somehow i feel like there was an isekai where there was dying old man (maybe a king) because of poison where MC didn't save him. But or it's just my imagination or it's just because MC or the isekai didn't have healing skills or heal couldn't solve poison. But again i am really unsure if it exist.

16. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally not related but did you read this ero futa doujin ? Both girls have taken poison from young and now they have really poisonous bodies:
    [Jam Ouji] Kunoichi Hininden

17. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is slow acting poison it means that there is time to get the antidote

18. lazilygrinningcat

lazilygrinningcat Cookie Thief

Reading List:
    Link
    This looks plausible. In case its slow-acting, they just appraise. In case it's not, then the poison tester is dead, confirming there's poison in the meal.

19. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess the poison tester is there so that in case there really is poison, they can use the tester as a guinea pig to find the cure before administrating the cure on the royalty.

20. fuqifeipian4

fuqifeipian4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t think so, but thanks for the rec @Tsuru55