Artemis Fowl movie

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Zaart, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    i saw that there was a movie supposed to be about artemis fowl, i was quite happy \(0v0)/
    so i watched the trailer.
    in the first few seconds "you are stronger" and we see him training with kendo

[​IMG]

well even tho i still remember the moment when holly short broke his nose in the first book okay why not, even if it make him a bit too perfect (i think the fact that he had to rely on butler for everything physical for all the beginning and slowly grew to be more badass was one of the reason why i loved that story, also i think he never became more than above average)

then, there is a "the plot? the fans don't care about the plot, let's just put artemis fowl on it and peoples will watch" moment where they utterly destroy any hope i had that the movie would be good (maybe i am a bit harsh, it could still be good who know? but just because the character have the same name and a somewhat similar backstory it is not an artemis fowl movie, that's a damn fanfiction)
    [​IMG]

also last part of my rant: (yeaaaah also let's forget about how in the book he is supposed to be extremely pale, nearly vampiric with heavy social issues)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    anon likes this.
  2. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I wasn't impressed with the trailer. Was a fan of the books back in the day but I have the distinct feeling that a. this is one of those series thats shouldn't be made into a movie and b. is going to be changed so much from its source material to become patently bad

3. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh...it's Disney so...it's probably gonna end with happiness and fluff. :sick:

DomDomDom and Zaart like this.
  4. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    well it could be made into an amazing movie i think but it would require a lot of money and seven film
    maybe they are doing a sonic (even if it is unlikely) where they show us something lame before making it better?

Femme Fatale likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You remind me of those who say no offense and then go on to insult you.

Give me a break.
    If you regretted it, you would have edited your post.

Shooting someone and giving them candy right after all doesn't make it right.
    You didn't have to shoot at the poor kid.

I know fans can be territorial and bother on delusional.
    But attacking someone's appearance is pathetic.
    If you truly regret attacking the kid's appearance then edit it the sentence out of your post but i doubt you will

6. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    :sick::sick::sick::sick: On Disney could get away with that Sonic fiasco. :barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

Zaart likes this.
  7. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As @Femme Fatale said

8. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    you being agressive truly made me want to ignore you but you are right so....
    seriously man kindness is never wasted you should try to better yourself ^^
    (also if this was you trying reverse psychology, well it worked but most of the time people get even more stubborn, logic and emotion work so much better)
    worse! holly short was a strong female character, "first woman to be on the police force" and she worked twice as hard to show she deserved her place.
    well now they also changed that Q-Q

otaku31, anon and Femme Fatale like this.
  9. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Artemis Fowl - a wonderful book that will be ruined by movie makers who neither understand the story nor the theme. I read the first book a long time ago, but after watching the trailer I actually doubted if the story i remember is right or we have a repeat of percy jackson here.
    Fowl (sounding like foul) is basically an anti-hero evil genius of sorts. He is NOT a good guy. The trailer had me believe he was teen icon people should look up to. Also quite a few things with the female lead has been messed up. I heard the department head/superior of FL was made female which not only ruins the dynamic, but undermines the whole point of the FL being the first female officer. Also fowl gets access to fairy tech from his dad's secret lab ?? I don't remember that being the case. As I remember, Artemis was badass genius bcoz he figured out the fairies' existence on his own more or less. Finally, the first book was basically Artemis pulling a meticulous con job on the faeries. And his Dad's disappearance was shrouded in total mystery.
    So, either I remember wrong, or this movie will suck.

DomDomDom, otaku31, Ruyi and 2 others like this.
  10. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't think you could get closer to my thoughts!
    could be worse, i could have watched percy jackson and i forgot all of the eragon movie

anon likes this.
  11. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh my god I forgot about eragon. That was awful

Zaart likes this.
  12. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    I loved the books, but I feel like the movie has the tone and vibe all wrong. It’s like someone borrowed Artemis’ name and slapped a big kooky Disney-execs approved filter over it to make it more mainstream and acceptable.

Heck, the first Artemis Fowl book wasn’t about him following the crowd or inspiring people or “saving the world,” but disguising himself as a wolf in sheep’s skin to lure the prey into his den and laugh over their losses for his own selfish gains. There’s a cold, sharp, businesslike pragmatism to him that’s all tailored suits and ironed collars, not all this kendo learning stuff (what is that about?!).

I liked him as a kid precisely because he had those anti-hero vibes. When he did start to change, it was all the more meaningful, but don’t excuse his jerk-like tendencies from the start as if they never existed!

EDIT: I watched the trailer again to figure out what was bothering me and I think one aspect is the kid’s lack of cynicism. Artemis was a kid who sold himself off as an adult before being forced to explore his vulnerabilities. He was disciplined, independent, and scarily smart, tracking done fair folk legends on his own and basically doing what he could to salvage the Fowl business while his father was missing and his mother unwell. He really “took over” as the man of the household in the only way he knew how despite being 11 at the time! This Artemis seems to lose control of the situation from the start, being led by Butler to discover his father’s past and then pressured by the demands of the Big Bad to react and act in turn. He’s too much “lost confused kid” and not “poised driven ruthless deal maker (and breaker).”

I dunno, it feels like one of those typical spy kids/men in black/modern fantasy mashup flicks. The books had a slick, cool, espionage feel to them and this...doesn’t really. :/

13. Kuokkanen

Kuokkanen Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like some Japanese novels I've been reading lately: isekai fantasy with super heroes/villains etc. I'll open new thread to rant about it.

14. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zaart and Wujigege like this.
  15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard about the story a few months ago. The Intellectual Property seems to be a gold mine and I prefer live action to books( female characters are usually replaced with adults)
    I might give it a watch but I shifted from Hollywood to Korean dramas in 2012 for a reason.

anon likes this.
  16. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    I once tried to watch the last Airbender, had to fast forward but still took around 15 min to finish. Won't make the same mistake twice.

anon likes this.
  17. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    see I saw the pitch meeting for atla as well recently. The clips they showed of it looked terrible. All the group taichi crap that barely tossed one rock toward someone

18. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're talking about the live action, m night shyamalan avatar, right?

19. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I don't want to ruin my impression of the books.

What's more, a casual Google search has it being:
    • 9% approved on Rotten Tomatoes
    • 1.5/5 stars on Rolling Stones
    • 3/5 for Common Sense Media
    Yeah, no thanks. I've watched movies with bad ratings before, but none of them have come close to being rated this bad. Maybe if I feel like killing my childhood dreams one day I'll try it, just for sadism's sake.

Zaart and anon like this.