LCD Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shance, May 31, 2016.

1. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the quality of the work of blastron is excellent, the chapters are long and his translation is top class, and that means he is really good.

I hate the publishing format he choose, I don't know how to binge-reading in tumblr, and you have to use the NU as an index to the chapters, if I'm right... Probably I'm missing something here.

I don't know about waiting for him to complete the translations, 40 years is too much to me, I will probably die long before he gets half-way through it. I hope he got some lottery big prize and start translating full time, one chapter a week. There are 52 weeks every year, and that means that the 500 chapters will be translated in less than 10 years. Let's hope it's not 500 chapters...

About your lack of patience, try a cup of passion fruit's juice. Or don't. Whatever.

[​IMG]

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmmm... He really does seem to lack a TOC... I guess tumblr is a bad platform for hosting novels...

Either that, or he was lazy... It does seems troublesome either way though.

3. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't link to aggregators on NU, use the link to batoto or to the translator's group instead.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
  5. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Another manga chapter was posted on the website of the scanlator group. Ch9

6. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Our esteemed translator posted an update. He was in a period of compulsory slavery (unpaid overtime) but the nightmare hopefully ended.

The good news is that he will have more time to ascendance.

The not so good news is that he is abandoning the retranslation of the spider history. Well, it's more time for our bookworm.

Thanks and welcome back, I would say.

7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooooooh, thanks for the update! I'm glad Blastron is going to have more timr for Maine now! \(^^)/

A shame for Kumoko, I was planning to wait until Blastron finished it to pick it up, bit I guess I might just read it from RTD anyway...

8. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    New chapter from our beloved bookworm. It's the aftermath of the family council.

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hooray for Lutz convincing his mother about it! \(^^)/

This was a pretty nice chapter I think, it was nice seeing how someone finally acknowledged that Lutz is walking with his own two feet instead of being dragged around by Maine~

10. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like an exaggeration. He could prevent them from getting in, throw rocks at them, eat them, etc. And even if they were nesting, would the smell be that bad?

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Birds smell absolutely terrible AFAIK.

And it is hard to shove them away once they already made a nest, those things are persistent.

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmmmmmm... Benno seems to be really angry at Otto... Though he gave up a tad too easily on Maine's apprenticeship... I wonder how much work will he try shoving into her.

Also... He is really amazing, isn't he? Already made a verbal agreement to make Maine make an exclusive deal with his shop before she even started... Benno is too much of a good merchant! >.<

13. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    It's me that forgotten something from the novel or Maïne appears to have forgotten the paper made from rags and recycled fibers. According to Wikipedia, it's a method for paper-making that has more than 2000 years...

Papermaking is traced back to China about 105 CE, when Cai Lun, an official attached to the Imperial court during the Han Dynasty (202 BCE-220 CE), created a sheet of paper using mulberry and other bast fibres along with fishnets, old rags, and hemp waste. Paper with legible Chinese writings on it dating from 8 BCE, while hempen paper had been used in China for wrapping and padding since the eighth century BCE. Paper used as a writing medium became widespread by the 3rd century and, by the 6th century, toilet paper was starting to be used in China as well. During the Tang Dynasty (618-907 CE) paper was folded and sewn into square bags to preserve the flavour of tea, while the later Song Dynasty (960-1279 CE) was the first government to issue paper-printed money.- (Papermaking - Wikipedia)

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel seems to be in a medieval Europe setting, paper wasn't spread in that region back then.

It doesn't matter if the product exists on the other side of the world after all, it would be a lot cheaper to make a parchment than to buy paper from a China equivalent and bringing it to that country.

I was kinda surprised by the power of the contract magic btw, it makes plenty of sense, but I thought it only affected the involved parties... Having it affect uninvolved ones is pretty amazing... I mean, imagine this sort of thing on settings with adventures, monster killing and all that? Would be the most OP magic ever! >.<

15. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Contract magic is scary.

16. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Contract magic doesn't really make sense. A commoner can buy that magic if they have the money like a successful merchant or maybe a whole village co-operating. What doesn't make sense is that something that can potential kill off people high in hierarchy, is somehow allowed to be in public.

Also, contract magic is unnecessary; it's enough with a regular contract and some laws about fraud.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    A commoner can buy it? How can you be sure of it?

Benno has contacts with the nobility, he was probably an outlier, not the norm.

Also, the contents of the contract might need to be discussed with the noble providing the contract in advance, since they wouldn't want anything that could possibly harm them happening.

We don't have any info on how it is acquired, so I wouldn't simply say it makes no sense or that it could harm the upper echelons...

I agree that it is unnecessary, but internet is also unnecessary, yet we have it anyway, don't we? It's a practical thing, so why not have it? Why worry about dealing with laws and cases of theft, if you can just solve it with magic?

18. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did think if Benno might have some connection with Nobles, but if he did -- then Maine would have be given some kind of help from that connection because, to Benno, she is a walking moneybag.
    But you are right, it could have been pre-written. Still, it sounds pretty dangerous and is something you don't want to mass-produce -- I mean so many possible invisible deaths...

19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure his shop sells plenty of things to nobles?

He is not as well acquainted with them as the guildmaster because he is still ascending as a merchant, but he does have his fair share of contacts.

And yep... Definitely not something you'd want mass-produced... *shivers*

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    And turns out that the contract is a lot more limited than Maine knew... Guess our theory crafting on the LCD was pretty accurate! \(^^)/

But interesting, cities have magical barriers, that probably means the work of the city guards is mostly related to paperwork and properly inspectioning anyone entering, than to actually protect the city... Interesting~