LCD Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shance, May 31, 2016.

1. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Its readable but theres a few important parts that gets jumbled up. Seen worse.

2. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Being mean to her parents as been added to the list of things you shouldn't do if you don't want to see Maine turn into a mini hulk along with messing with her clay tablets...

[​IMG]

Yep that's definitively something scary..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Waaazzap, diamonds and AliceShiki like this.
  3. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Günther is such a Daddy, you can't expect less from him. Now it's time for Maïne shine and show some badasserie. Time to put some nobles in their places.

Such a cute and dangerous little girl...

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *nod nod nod* They should never touch Maine!!!! :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:
    *laughs* Maine as Hulk seems so wrong! She is so frail!!! xD
    Ah, Gunther's behavior was expected, what surprised me was the priest's.

He forgot he was there to negotiate, he let his position get to his head because he is dealing with commoners. If he just wanted to kidnap Maine, he wouldn't need to summon them to the Temple. He needs Maine's money, so he needs her as an ally, not a prisoner.

I was really surprised by how he completely forgot all that simply from having commoners rejecting him... At the same time, it feels nice to have the setting depicting such disparity in classes being this ingrained in people's minds~

5. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, Google Translation. I think some things will never change.

A simple example, master is translated as husband, and that gives a strange vibe when a male calls another male as "husband". Another thing is the "couscous" that Google likes to put in the text (I don't know what is and don't care), or the "temple of the temple" (the chief/master of the temple), the 5 or more different translations it gives to the name of the same character, and the confusion betwen he/she/me/you, so "he drank the poison" became "I drank the poison" or "you drank the poison", and the confusion about the sex of the same character that sometimes became a woman, then a man, then a woman, then a man, then a bucket of the well, then...

In a word, it's insane and reading it will teach you respect for the work of the translators that can create some text with meaning and coherence, like blastron00, yoraikun, and others.

It's insane, it's horrible, but I simply can't stop. It's beyond adiction. I know it's unreasonable, as blastron00 is doing this translation in his free time, and the chapters are beautifully long, but even that... I mean, even if he manages to post one chapter each day, the amount of chapters I read amounts to more than one year of his work.

I won't advice you to read the MTL, as it is very hard to undrestand certain passages, and some others looks like strange invocations of some lovecraftian ancient evil, but I can assure you, this is very interesting, and you won't feel spoiled after reading this and then reading the chapter blastron00 translates. His work is a lot better and you will enjoy reading it even if you know exactly what will happen (and that is rare, as there are always a lot of sentences that GT gives you as pure garbage without any meaning).

Well, this is an advice that comes from someone that read "Harry Potter" and "Lord of the Rigngs" four times at least, so I think I'm not qualified...

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I can attest to how garbage MTL is! I use it as reference when I am translating, and it is absolutely horrible.

It's good for giving you a notion of the chapter is about, but don't go for it if you wish to have a proper understanding...

ElefantVerd likes this.
  7. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Negotiation is something you do with someone you find is your equal. The nobles think the commoners are trash. You don't negotiate with trash, you simple mow down them. You don't ask, you order them. You don't even invite them to the same place other nobles frequent.

He was thinking Maïne's parents where rich commoners, and that means someone that is almost like a noble. He found she is the daughter of a soldier (not even an officer) and a humble dyer, someone that does cheap labour. In his mind, they have nothing and he have everything, no need to negotiate, just order them.

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep! Exactly that! His mindset made him completely forget about the Large Gold Coin right in front of him~

It makes total sense, but it was very unexpected anyway~

ElefantVerd likes this.
  9. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't do drugs and/or MTL, kids.

10. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can't avoid f*cking your brain, do MTL.

Another one from the MTL: if you are staying home while others are going out, you are "answering machine".

I think this image is from the last chapter or the next:
    It wasn't.

This one is in the Maïne's baptism.

[​IMG]

OhChrisis and FranckOA like this.
  11. OhChrisis

OhChrisis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No I think that image is from another setting, just a bit further. since its from the part 2 books iirc

look at the mother belly, its a bit big no ;)

anyway, if you guys want to MTL, get rikaikun(Chrome) or rikaichan (Firefox)
    helps getting a clearer picture by hovering over the kanji's: imgur:com/Cyt16NO.png

12. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I always though MTL means putting the link or text in some translator, like Google Translator, and hoping for the best. I mean, if you want to have a clearer picture of the kanji, you are the translator, and I betcha you aren't a machine...

13. OhChrisis

Reading List:
    Link
    and at that I think you might want to use bing instead, it usually comes out better in my limited experience, like the last part of chpt 71 translates to:

Come on!

A The body became hot so that blood in the body boils, and the head was wrapped in the feeling that it was cooled strangely calmly.

I can see that the whole body is stained with anger. "This is a fun line.

Don't touch your mom and dad. When I stepped out a step ahead, the head of the temple, who was laughing so much, looked at me with an astonished eye for some reason, even the long priest who was watching the situation while sitting quietly, and the priests who were able to rushed.
    vs
    come on!

The whole body became hot like the blood in the body got boiled, so the head was surrounded by a strange cool and cool feeling. I can see that the whole body is stained with anger.

"Do not be fucked with this line of letters, do not touch your father and mother."

As I go forward one step ahead, the temple of the temple, who was laughing with great deeds, was one who was quietly sitting while watching the situation and the priests who had fallen in, even the poor priests, even with astounded eyes I saw.
    vs
    That is enough!

My entire body flushes with heat, like my blood is suddenly boiling. Despite that, my mind remains clear, a strange serenity wrapping my thoughts. My anger has flooded every cell of my body.

“‘You dare’, hm? That’s my line. Do not touch my parents.”

When I take a step forward, the smugly-smiling temple master, the head priest who had been quietly observing this entire time, the priests pouring into the room… all of them, for some reason, turn to me in sudden fright.

and cesarakg:
    I suggest you remove the image you posted of the parents, its kinda a huge spoiler for book 2 or 3 if you pay attention

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I use bing and google a lot for comparing them both when I'm in doubt when I'm translating something... Google gives way better results in general, and also tends to keep a better structure too.

15. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    " Don't touch your mom and dad "

MTL seems to be pretty bad with pronouns... And it's quite dubious if you take the sentence as it is...

And yeah @cesarakg you should at least put a spoiler tag for this picture as
    Maine look quite older in it, and her mother's state look pretty obvious...

OhChrisis likes this.
  16. OhChrisis

Reading List:
    Link
    installed Translator aggregator, makes it MUCH faster to read and compare, since you can use like 15 different sites in one program, like google, bing, excite, LEC, atlas, Mecab etc etc .
    so right now I'm trying to see if I can tame atlas to produce a much better results

edit: I gave up on that endeavour... tried a few dictionaries from Hongfire, but still ends up really weird....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  17. FatalStrings

FatalStrings Admiral: Third Celestial Armada

Reading List:
    Link
  18. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Ferdinand got some damage here. Now, that's a strange name for a novel that has adotped german-sounding names for the characters (Ferdinando is Spanish).

Mother is very level-headed, and judged correctly Mr. Ferdinand.

On the other hand, Maïne discovered how weird she appears to others, and how loving and accepting her family is.

[​IMG]
    Maïne attempting to make vegetable paper, with the flowers, abacus, blackboard, and tote bag.

diamonds likes this.
  19. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't find any image of Maïne as super-sayajin...

20. OhChrisis

Reading List:
    Link
    here
    [​IMG]
    just copy image adress and delete the last letter "l" before ".jpg" to make it bigger

diamonds likes this.