LCD Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shance, May 31, 2016.

1. kryuzei

kryuzei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh, the translation has reached temple arc already? maybe it's time for me to read the translation again desu

2. DiPz

DiPz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This chapter is something else huh...
    The gray robe priestess being called at night in that hidden door..

And that situation in the orphanage... this is just sad.

3. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    This part of the novel... Well, in the novel's world, if you aren't a noble, you are a thing. You can be disposed of without much thinking, and if you aren't baptized, then you are even less than a thing.

This is not only sad, this is very cruel. It makes me remember of this, too:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

People can be cruel and insensitive, and very self-centered. It really hurts.
    [​IMG]

4. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maine could also take advantage of Delia's vanity(?) by using beautifying techniques as rewards...

5. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This series sure gives a stronger vibe than nearly all others that this is in fact "medieval"... in all it's ugliness.

6. Bakanogami

Bakanogami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember how well it's been articulated at this point in the story, but in Bookworm's already screwed up and unequal feudal society, the Temple in particular is a particularly corrupt and awful place at the time of the series that both nobles and commoners don't really want to interact with more than they have to.

7. Chaku

Chaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets hope maine can change things around, so far unlikable characters have managed to become likable, I wonder if this will happen to Delia, right now shes repulsive, I dislike her intensely, but I also couldn't stand Gil, I dont anymore, so maybe Delia can turn around and become less bleh...

I am hoping that the Orphans will be saved, I'm not sure how she will do it...

8. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    The difference in values is so big they can't even communicate... Gosh, this pseudo-medieval setting is so f*cked up.

9. DiPz

DiPz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fran is really growing up on me huh..
    He's really trying to understand Maine and have the guts to try different things to satisfy her, now that he knows how much Maine took care of her servant how far can he go to support her..

10. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Girls are raised to be nothing more than sex toys. Those that got impregnated are getting rid off. Boys get education and sold at high prices. This is so inhuman. Urano calls it "excessively self-centered style of management". Seriously, my dear Japanese girl?

11. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All sorts of creepy stuff out there in real Earth history.

Anyway, one thing that occurred to me to comment on is the title of the series itself:
    本好きの下剋上 ~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~ (Ascendance of a Bookworm - I'll Become a Librarian At Any Cost!)

I've no idea how the series goes longer term - at this stage, I've not read the raw or any spoilers. So don't take any of the following as a prediction or something...

Anyway, given the events to date, I have no problem at all with the title translation but there are certain connotations with the words used that are quite a bit darker. 下剋上 (gekokujou) has been translated as "ascendance" but the word really requires a more detailed explanation. If the series really goes down that path, then perhaps something like "The bookworm's ruthless rise to power" might be closer to the intended meaning.

For the subtitle, "at any cost" doesn't just mean to the MC. It could be at any cost to anyone. If it requires a bloody revolution for her to become a librarian, then so be it.

CountryMage and jubjub3000 like this.
  12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    But I like his values of "Murder all the children? You have a good point". Maine despite her circumstances is pretty blessed compared to many out there. If you look at the undertones, there are a lot of stuff happening that are pretty dark, Maine just has been doing a good job of ignoring them due to her one track mind.

I think she is trying to rationalize things logically so that she doesn't explode in fury. Her values and their values just differ too much, so she is rationalizing things as neutral as possible.

Just based on the titles of the volumes, it is pretty clear she is going to go up in social ladder. Well even without that, Beno has already made it clear her value due to having so much mana is pretty darn high. Add in her economic value from her workshop and inventions. But just like always, she simply doesn't realize it.

gangbuntu likes this.
  13. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly i don't really find it weird at all at that timeline, which is in the early stage of middle ages.
    it might be revolting for us but considering that inhumane slavery was a thing 200years ago i still think this is mild in comparison.

14. jubjub3000

jubjub3000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    slavery is still a thing today in some countries, ya know.

15. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    true, but they aren't as inhumane as before, where slaves aren't even treated better than livestock.

jubjub3000 likes this.
  16. jubjub3000

jubjub3000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No it's still the same in some places, underage sex slaves, labourers and more types of slaves still exist even today.

17. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    There's tons of inhumane treatment out in the world (worse than what you picture), without the need of that label, and yet there are still people labeled as slaves today.

jubjub3000 likes this.
  18. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    New chapter up !!

19. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Delia has went full tsundere! I repeat, Delia has went full tsundere!

jubjub3000 likes this.
  20. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Maïne, a girl with a gift for picking poison mushrooms...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Poor_Hero, TUSF and Wolfwind27 like this.