LCD Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shance, May 31, 2016.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    She better, now that she knows that her life is on the line.

Though I'm a bit surprised she still hasn't asked what the devouring actually is. (Though to be fair she gets distracted quite easily)

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think she thinks nobody really knows what it is.

... Or maybe she is actually smart enough to know there is no such thing as "free" information, so she decided to not ask... Not sure if she already thought that far ahead.

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no way the guild master or frieda doesn't know what it is. That would be impossible.

And now that she says she will look for another way, it would be silly not to ask. Even if the information isn't free, you can ask and see what value it is.

4. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its highly likely that nobody know what it actually is, the only thing they know is that magic artifacts can relieve it.

one thing i don't like about the MC though is that she couldn't draw a speculation about the devouring.
    there are 3 main points about it, first its a "natural part of the body", second "it grows", third "magic artifacts can absorb it".
    if she'd read novels with magic in it, or at least heard of harry potter, then she should've realized its MANA thats shes dealing with.

Waaazzap likes this.
  5. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, is it?

I mean, she is on a medieval society of sorts, and we're talking about a rare disease here...

I think it's pretty possible to exist some diseases that they have no idea what the cause is, but know how to cure by sheer experimentation.

I do think she should ask around though! \(^^)/
    Hmmmmm... Well, I think that Maine has it too ingrained on her head, that she is a normal person, with a past life, and with a sickly and troublesome body.

Like... I think it's really ingrained into her that she is "just your average person", I mean, she lived an entire life like that after all.

Coming to a new world and thinking that she might actually have magical powers, when she never saw anyone ever use any sort of magic (Sure, she saw some things like the contract, but that's not our normal concept of magic) is... Unlikely, I think.

6. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thats completely illogical, think about it, if someone uses a magical contract in front of you and tells you its magic, would you still think its normal?
    she should've already realized that the world shes in isn't a normal world, furthermore the common sense she has would've been invalid the moment magic was mentioned to her.

and to top it off, the devouring was already explained to her, and yet she still thinks its a normal disease? what kind of disease can be controlled by willpower and can be "thrown" into magic artifacts?
    shes either too stupid to think for herself and would only realize when someone says it straight to her face, or shes simply so stupid that this disease to her is a completely normal incurable disease that has utterly no suspicious points.

either way shes stupid.

on a side note, the scenario shes in is quite a lot like what Sonea went through earlier in the story of "the black magician trilogy".
    simply put, during the early phase of the story, Sonea awakened her mana and it started overflowing.
    which if not stopped, would explode, rip her body apart, burn it to ashes along with a small part of the city around her.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Common Sense isn't as easy to break.

Sure, she knows there are magical things in the world, like magical contracts or magical bank cards.

Still, she never saw magical people in the world, rather, as far as we know, mages don't exist.

I think it's perfectly plausible to not consider your disease is a simple case of overflowing mana, when the very concept of mana seems to not even exist.

8. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    common sense (earth's) is easy to break when it doesn't fit with the current world's logic, take for example her transmigration, is that common sense? or the magic contract, is that also common sense? what about the tronbay's spontaneous growth, is that also common sense?

thats the point, where does this "magic artifacts" come from, how is it made, what powers these "magic artifacts", these are all logical suspicious points. by earth's common sense this would've already been utterly suspicious.

thats because shes from the lower stratum, you have to remember that she isn't even aware of what other countries are there within this world. if she was a noble then she'd have a larger scope of contacts, which would probably reveal a bunch of mages making these "magic artifacts", or at least studying them. the nobles themselves are aware of the usage of magic artifacts and they could get them from somewhere, and they could even willy nilly sell broken ones to a mere merchant.

no, the main point is tracing all the suspicious points about the devouring, e.g. what kind of disease has these symptoms.
    • it naturally grows, in the case of the devouring its overflowing.
    • it can be suppressed and controlled by willpower.
    • magic artifacts can absorb it.
    you tell me what else would have this kind of symptoms.

and no, its a flawed thinking that "mana" doesn't exist when "magic artifacts" exists, and this is using earth's common sense.
    in fact, if i was maine i would've immediately be suspicious and ask "magic, what is that?" the moment i hear "magic artifacts".
    in maine's case the word "magic tool" or "magic items" in general just went over her head like its someone else's problem.
    and thats while she knows its the only thing that can save her, the hell kind of stupidity is that?

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So... You tell me she sees the existence of magic artifacts, magical contracts, magical plants and some other magical stuff, and not only that, it all seems to be common knowledge for everyone.

And then, she never saw a mage, never heard of a mage, nor did any rumors of magic being cast ever reach her... And you say it's an obvious conclusion?

Foe anyone reading a book about a magical world, it sure is easy to make the math and reach the conclusion that she has overflowing Mana, but for who is living there? Who has her head full of worries on how to not be a burden and not to cause trouble, and to also be useful, when she has only one year left? You want her on these conditions to suddenly think: "Hey, I might be the only mage in the entire world! The symptoms of my disease totally fit a mana overflow! Let's try practicing magic!!!!"

I mean, really? As far as we know, there aren't tales of mages even on her bed time stories... How farfetched must that be? How can magic items be common enough to the point anyone on the Merchant's Guild have it, but she never heard of a single mage? Surely there must be none in the world.

Seems like a pretty reasonable line of thought to me.

10. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is there is no way she can access any knowledge of how to use mana. Nobles keep silent of these things.
    Even those with devouring only knows that they need that mana out of their bodies so survive. Its like they think of it as a disease that is harming them/killing them. All other devouring patients either get kept on a tight leash and hidden by nobles or they just die out because of inability to get magic tools. Theres also no idea of how to make this tools. Its either broken at first use or kept hidden to normies

Even if shes a novel reader or fiction reader, there are stories that need certain symbols or keywords to use magic.

Just think of Harry Potter, they need incantations to use magic. Theres no need to use mana to use magic tools(flying car and paintings).
    So you cant say that she might think of it that shes a mage because even manaless people like Benno or that Guildmaster can use those tools.
    Even Harry Potter only knew he has magic because of the owl mails the familys receiving and how Hagrid just come to them to take Harry on Harry Potter 1.

the only chapter that i had read that kinda explains mana or devouring is the chapters before next arc, where she is being forced to be an adopted orphan by the temple that will lead to not see her family anymore. Well she did something to prevent it and make it how she wants but thats all i know so far

11. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    shes from earth, shes a self-proclaimed bookworm of earth, with all that word about magic tools it would've been easy to become suspicious.

like i said, magic artifacts doesn't just grow on trees, someone is making them and someone who can make them is aware of what magic is, how it is made and how to use it.
    in the case of the lower-stratum populace, which of them would be interested in finding out who makes magic tools when they're already having problems earning their food? not to mention the upper echelons would without a doubt be hiding the information about the details of magic tools.

not to mention there is no such thing as "newspaper" in the world they're in, furthermore i haven't even heard of bards so the spread of info would also be utterly slow.
    which means to say, the stories that goes around the lower-stratum would be the kind thats more in line with the talks about work or rumors about food, where as the bedtime stories would be like the ones they've experienced themselves.

thats an utterly backward logic, whats the point of worrying about all that when the disease would kill her anyway? its like worrying about getting kicked out of school when she'd be dying before graduation due to a disease.
    the first thing she should be doing is solve the disease, only then should she start worrying about living her life.

in fact, if she was paying attention to her devouring a lot more, then she'd have noticed that it "subsided" when she touched that tronbay seed. now with that as the starting point, it would be logical to think that other magic items can help subside the devouring, the magic vegetables comes to mind, e.g. grow the seed.
    or in other words, she needs to search for those seeds and use it as an overflow check.

i think its more in line to think that everyone has mana in them, and the devouring is just an anomaly that causes the mana to grow too fast for the body to keep up.
    this explains why everyone (so far) can use magic tools like the magic contract, and it also explains why theres no news about magicians or mages. meaning the upper echelon doesn't want the lower population learning about magic, hiding the details about magic, so information about mages would also be blocked off.

but it wouldn't be weird to use those novel's magic system and try it out whether it can solve the devouring or not, rather than waiting for her death to come.

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as she knows, you don't need to use any sort of magic to create a magic tool.

I mean, you don't need to make any magic to activate them, so maybe all you need is the right method and the right tools.

Noticed the Devouring subsided when she touched the Trombay? You mean, back when she didn't even know what was her disease, and was more worried about not being a burden for Lutz than anything else?

You're looking at thinks with way too much of an outsider look, things that are easily available for us, that have a grasp of the bigger picture, and know that she won't simply die in 1 year due to the novel having over 500 chapters, have it easier than her that needs to actually deal with her troubles.

13. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that absolutely makes no sense, thats like saying you can make a bonfire without the fire.

and how are you supposed to know the "right method" without knowing how it works? its the same logic as trying to solve a math problem without knowing how the formula works.

no, she should've noticed the part where she managed to go for longer without lapsing when she encountered the tronbay, that would've been really noticeable when she payed attention to how many times she normally collapses. at that time all her head only has is "BOOOOOKS" and nothing else, hell she didn't even think about how much problems shes causing to others.

in fact, it would've been the first thought most people would pop up.
    "weird, i managed to go for x days without collapsing."
    the first thought would be.
    "i'm probably getting better."
    and that part she doesn't know its the devouring yet.
    later on when she starts thinking about solving the disease she should've remembered it.
    "didn't i last longer back then? how did that happen?"
    the tronbay incident is so huge that it would've been the first thought that pops up.
    "i was a lot cheerful back then, thats one. and then theres that tronbay seed... suspicious."

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't make a bonfire with a fire, you make it with wood, rocks and a spark.

It's the same, you don't need magic to make a magic tool, you just need the right materials and the right method.
    Yep, she was desperately trying to find something to cling to on this world, and that thing was books, so she didn't pay attention to anyone or anything.

You expect her to remember a bit of an unusual occurrence that happened months ago when she was paying 0 attention to it... Yeah, good luck in having such a great memory.

15. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you do realize that "spark" is a fire right?

like i said, explain this "right method" you're saying. give an example.

thats exactly the point, shes too stupid, too naive, she wasn't paying attention to such a really problematic issue that can effectively kill her anytime.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Method? Dunno, get some parchment and use some ink made out of mandrake, maybe the magical properties of the mandrake might make a magical contract.

I don't know how they make magical items, I know that they exist, and I know that there are magical things out there in nature, it doesn't seem too farfetched to think a magical item is made by just combining magical things from nature.

Waaazzap likes this.
  17. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and how are they supposed to know that they need mandrake? and what to draw on the parchment? exactly on what basis did they come into that conclusion to actually make a magic tool?

hint, the moment you start "studying" these you're already an apprentice mage, or an alchemist.

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    By experimentation, by trying to do something with those things.

And sure, they can be alchemists all they want (not mages though), so what? Does that mean they have mana? Because they can learn how to mix magical ingredients to make magical tools? That's the same as saying an engineer has mechanical arms because he knows how to build a robot, it makes no sense.

19. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and how would they even start with the experimentation? how would they know mandrakes even does that? things doesn't just come from experiments, they also comes from making use of the logics from the world, and that logic is built on the foundation of knowing what things are.
    take for example making a magic light tool, without knowing what items that makes light or whats needed to supply the power they wouldn't even know how to start the experiment.

not to mention the spell formula, you can't just simply draw scribbles and pray it works, you need to know the foundation of magic to get the right spell formula working.
    on a side note, there are novels that has magicians without mana, relying on external sources to spell cast, so just because a mage doesn't have internal mana doesn't mean he doesn't know what mana is.

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Still don't change the fact you might not need to have mana or anything similar to make it work out, you just need to study it and find out somehow.