Discussion Asian Culture Questions - History/Modern

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cynge42, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Cynge42

Cynge42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand women being able to use their maiden name. I'm wondering if the women in China, Japan, Korea, etc. are usually referred to by their maiden name as a norm.

For example: Ning Xi marries Li Su. They have a son Li Ye and daughter Li Wei.
    Then Su Miao sees the family at the park and she thinks, "Oh, there is Li Su, Ning Xi and their children Li Ye and Li Wei."

Is it just a light novel thing or do people actually think of married women by their maiden name?

2. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure this was normal...i think it's kind of more like ... Instead of changing your name, you gain a title of wife using the husbands surname. And how other people would address you would be determined by your relationship to each other.

Its a bit more westernized nowadays though

Cynge42 likes this.
  3. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, I checked the site this time for this answer..

Question 1: Do the hospitals not provide breakfast/ lunch/dinner for the patients?

When I read the light novel they bring food from home. They make sure someone from the family takes care of the person in the hospital.

Question 2: Where are the nurses and dietitians? Or what do the nurses and dietitians do?

4. mangoberry

mangoberry beatsaber is too addictive...

Reading List:
    Link
    as an american vietnamese person, my mom uses her maiden name so probably

Cynge42 likes this.
  5. Cynge42

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want my earlier questions to get lost in the shuffle, so...

Question 3: What is the deal with warm water being offered to drink?

I have no less than 5 ice cubes in my water at all times. Warm water makes my stomach upset.

Standard question: Light novel thing or actually takes place in real life?

6. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some history.

Cynge42 likes this.
  7. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very common belief that cold water is easy to get a stomachache, or cough, or lower your temperature leading to you getting sick easier. I suspect that it's bc long ago when water wasn't as clean it is much safer to drink boiled water and the knowledge just didn't modernize.
    Also in the same way you find warm water upsetting to your stomach there will be people who find cold water upsetting (ex: me ;), unless it's really really hot) but don't worry there are also many Chinese ppl who also like to drink cold water

8. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a family responsibility thing, and a belief that hospital food isn't as good and ofc home cooked food would taste better. It's not that there are no nurses but that the family wants to be there to show their care

9. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Outside of perhaps very low to under a percent being Asian, I am not Asian AFAIK. However, I personally would prefer my first name be used vs. my surname. Also, I would prefer honorifics not be used in my name, be it first or last name.

10. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    In China, iirc married women don't change their names but as mentioned earlier they get to be called something like "Madam X", X being the surname of the husband's household.

In Japan, you must adopt one surname per household. Either the husband or the wife must be entered in a new family registry. One common slang for divorced people is "batsu ichi" or "one strike". That comes from the fact that the family registry was usually handwritten in the ward office so if you have a divorce, you would have to have to be struck off on one document and have your name rewritten again in another registry. Of course, you can also be a 2-strikes, 3-strikes... lol
    I think I've already mentioned in another thread, but I have a Japanese surname and since my home country doesn't oblige people to change their names after marriage, I kept my maiden name as it is. This confused the hell out of people when I introduced myself as my husband's wife while living in Japan since we didn't have the same surname. A couple of times people actually thought I was married to a Japanese person.

Fulminata likes this.
  11. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, i'd like to answer as an Asian that comes from a country with different cultures than china, japan, and korea XD. hope that it helps ^~^

There's a generally accepted idea in my area that drinking cold water after a hot meal could upset your stomach, and drinking cold water while you're sweating like hell is a surefire way to get a cold.
    Another perspective that could be useful comes from my grandma, who usually served her visitors a boiling hot tea so that they could chat longer while waiting for the tea to cool down. But it's not always the norm. Currently, it's more popular to serve cold drinks such as juice or fruit syrups.

Q 1 & Q 2 : nahh, they do serve foods for the sick patients. As for having family members to take care of the sick person @ hospital, it's more of an emotional support. But in some cases, the nurse really wouldn't do things like bathing the sick person etc, and it has to be done by the family members.

It'll depends on the family's culture (there's a dozen of culture in my country). Sometimes, it was the norm for the husband to actually marry into the wife's family. Sometimes, it's the opposite and works much like the western practice. But the most common practice in my area is that the woman retains her own name, although people that are aquintanced with the husband would usually call her as "madam x", with x being the husband first name. In any other setting, including professional setting, the woman is usually adressed by her maiden name since the lractice of changing one's name after the wedding is not exactly the norm (again, in my area. differrent place/province calls for a different customs).

12. Coffea to Ell

Coffea to Ell 【❀ Sleepy Bunny ❀】

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as my knowledge, majority people use it. However, now things slowly change. A lot of modern people give their children's name like western or use mixed language.

They do provide it.
    For family bringing food, it's just parents "concern" things. They believe, the one who will have the most care for their children is they self. Like idiom " mother hen" right. :blob_grin:

Usually for rich family. Because the rich family usually hand over their children care to nanny. So, in hospital they cared by nurses.

They believe
    1. So that doesn't have stomach ache
    2. Healtier
    3. Keep body warm, so doesn't have lag movement
    4. Cleaner than pump water however clean they are

Yes. They will have the name " unfaithful" and "tainted" attached. Because they believe it was the woman's fault. They believe a woman must stay at home for their children and not running everywhere every second.
    A woman who running everywhere and seldom seen at home usually they referred as "bitch". That's for a very traditional people. However things slowly change, now they allowed woman to work as beside being a teacher outside home.

Yes. They do. Because lineage things and they see a woman as a "weak" person. So they doesn't happy having many girls as their children because of that.
    I dont know the specific precentage, however even now they aren't that happy having a woman child.

That's a real life thing. It's a tradition thing.

Yes, even now. However now slowly change. Although the mother and grandma generation still have this frame of mind

:cookie:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020