Discussion Asian novel summary rant

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Jojo775, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mean to point out how useless, unifromative and ridiculous those summaries are, that's already been established and discussed.
    What I mean to rant about is the usual ending : Will the MC rise or fall? Will the MC become Godking Overlord Master Disaster Pimp or will he be lost to laurels of history?(not that these authors have words such as laurels in their vocabulary) Will the MC succeed in his quest/adventure or will he fail?

What kind of dumbass question is this? Trying to build suspense and failing miserably. We all know that MC's in webnovels have ultra strong plot armor and they will win in the end. Hell some of these MC's have durex extra safe level of plot armor, they don't even feel the plot!

Negiomi, firefox1234 and Wujigege like this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Too many things to complain about but many rather live in pineapple castles.
    As long as there is a big busted waifu or loli, many don't care.
    @firefox1234

firefox1234 and Jojo775 like this.
  3. Bugis-san

Bugis-san Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And then: to be continued in the next episode!

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    After 5 years since I last rewatched DBZ I still hear in my head : Next time on Dragon Ball Z!
    It doesn't matter what I'm reading or watching, it's always Next time on Dragon Ball Z!

Negiomi and Wujigege like this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, what sort of ending do you want?

6. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the authors see a lot of other novel's summary be like that, so they follow the societal norm to 'make the readers guess', I guess... I can deal with those summaries because it is better than the two sentence ones I've seen a lot in other asian novels. There are worst ones around

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I want happy ending :blobuwu: same as everyone else, I'm just saying it's stupid and immature to question the obvious. You know that hero will beat the vilain, you don't ask Will hero beat the vilain, or will he die and with him the entire city?
    That's why quality of webnovels is always trying to reach new lows, they're just copy pasting each other and trying to please teeange noobs instead of bettering their stories.
    IMO the worst summaries are those fake conversation ones, conversation which cannot be found anyone in the novel, tries to be funny and fails, doesn't tell you anything about the novel other than making you question the fuck is this, sounds dumb maybe I shouldn't read it, then you have to check reviews to see what the novel is actually about.

Negiomi likes this.
  8. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    on a side note, a pineapple castle sounds awesome.

dhRPGamer, sirin423, Negiomi and 2 others like this.
  9. JustDiededed

JustDiededed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to read something surprising with real consequences... You may be looking at the wrong place.
    It's very rare for CN to reach this level. Heck, it's probably not even their purpose. And that's why I read them, for entertainment purposes. As long as I'm entertained, I don't care how deep the plot armor goes.
    If I'm looking for "serious literature", as I like to call it, with "real consequences", etc, I'll usually go elsewhere.

Or get luck enough in the NU draw.

anon likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, I was looking for an idiom for delusions and not accepting reality similar to delusions of grandeur but I was stumped :blobjoy:

11. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some novels with bad endings though :blobsweat_2:

12. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I used to read a lot of IET, not that I minded really but I saw a lot of rants everytime one of his novels was completed.

13. Negiomi

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed, as long as it is rot proof and comes with all living necessities at a level of a castle, I'll gladly move in...

anon likes this.
  14. Raphenox

Raphenox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here are my thoughts:
    Summaries in general were meant to describe a novel, a completed one. You see that in many western book synopses they present either a key main idea of the story or provide a quote from the book of an important/catchy scene. Modern web novels are being written as they go along so the story is not necessarily fixed. Sure, the author could have an idea of what he/she wants to create, but its a generalization with minimal concrete details causing the exact of summaries we usually find on must Asian novel summary pages.

I also think this can be seen in many CN novels where characters and antagonists act like brain dead individuals where their main purpose lies in moving the story along and glorifying the MC. The author has a general idea about the arc, but hasn't figured out how to write it causing some arcs to feel more developed than others. This can especially be seen when comparing the beginning of the novel to the later parts of the novel.

In some cases, you will have summaries that will mention a key element in the story because it is central throughout the novel like Martial World and its cube.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Negiomi, runsing, Jojo775 and 2 others like this.
  15. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just waiting for someone to randomly kill off the MC in the middle of the story and have it end abruptly.

GDLiZy, Jojo775 and anon like this.
  16. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe you have dug right to the crux of the matter most skillfully. Many are inexperienced writers and only have the broadstrokes to tie their story together (sometimes not even that). Yes what you said hits the nail on the head

17. Negiomi

Reading List:
    Link
    I sort of hope that some authors who wrote novels and drops them will instead just kill off the MC

But normally killing off MC in the middle will end up as MC getting revived. THE SHOW MUST GO ON..... But I don't wanna

18. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    So, you decided to join the ranks of those who rant?
    Yeah I suppose that is a logical thing to do, maybe :blobsweat_2:
    As the saying goes "if you can't beat them; join them"

19. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been just thinking that, why does no one kill the MC and have another one continue the story?
    I'm not ranting about the endings but summaries. It seems that the less life I have, the more I rant, srsly rants just keep popping in my head when I have nothing to do or look forward to.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  20. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Not all writers are good at promotion. They might be lucky if they have someone who could take of that. Or maybe they are appealing to the basest demographic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.