Question Asking if These WN & Wuxia, Xianxia, Xuanhuans Have Proper Ending, Consistent Writing=Worth Reading‽

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Sleep-deprived-enthusiast, Nov 23, 2020.

?

Good ending, good story, worth reading (any genre as long as it's good and meaningful)

1. Renegade Immortal/Xian Ni

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Swallowed Star

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Coiling Dragon

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. The Desolate Era

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  5. I Shall Seal The Heavens

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  6. Stellar Transformations

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  7. Lord Xue Ying

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  8. Inch of Radiance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. A Will Eternal

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  10. The Immoral Executioner/Zhanxian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Heavenly Jewel Change

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  12. The Gate of Good Fortune

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Hail the King

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  14. Terror Infinity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Reincarnation Paradise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Warlock of the Magus World

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  17. Mushoku Tensei (have read manga as a beginner in the past)

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  18. Once Upon a Time in a Spirit Sword Mountain (have read manhua as a beginner in the past)

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  19. Demon's Diary

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  20. Legend of the Great Sage

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  21. Reincarnator

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  22. Death Sutra

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  23. The Amber Sword

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  24. The Tutorial is Too Hard

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  25. Zhu Xian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Sleep-deprived-enthusiast |Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|

Reading List:
    Link
    Title and poll are pretty self-explanatory. I want long books, but ones that won't leave a hurting hole inside my heart and also waste much of my invested time just to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I have heard of these titles a lot but don't know if they're truly good because opinions are mixed or hard to find. You can say your thoughts about the books and explain minor spoilers and general stuff, but please don't include major spoilers.

If you want an indicator of what I like then I'll list all of my well-liked series I've read (I don't know the endings of these examples, I only catch up with the TL so lets not talk about spoilers for these ones):
    Stuff like Transcending the Nine Heavens (especially it's comedy. AWE was said to have amazing comedy, but I don't know if the story truly satisfactory as a whole?), Reverend Insanity, Lord of the Mysteries, Kingdom's Bloodline and The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich (both filler filled. Has developing helpless mc, dense mc respectively), To Be a Virtuous Wife, Martial Arts Master, My House of Horrors, Cultivation Chat Group, Quick Transmigration's Record of Counter Attacks, Pursuit of the Truth which I put on hold, and new stuff like 48HAD, Super Detective and LTBE (both lighthearted action comedy), and Cultural Invasion into Isekai.

edit: If you find this page, I am still checking it regularly for any new opinions so go ahead and say your piece! This would be relevant to me until I have an answer for every book mentioned above and probably help others who want to know if these are good. :blobcozy::blobpopcorn:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  2. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can speak for IET and Er gen

IET, the novel will get a proper ending, but it's very abrupt, like "the bad guy is dead, the end", not the best way to end a 1000+ chapters story, it could really use an epilogue arc so that we can get some closure.
    Er gen, the endings are mostly a massive let down, usually the last arc will be really bad and kinda ruin the whole story with stupid dramatic plot twist. I stopped reading his novel, i'd rather read an average novel that keep the same quality, rather than an Er gen novel that is amazing for the first 3/4 but the proceed to ruin everything with the last 1/4.

Heavenly jewel change was quite good, the very last fight might be unpleasant for some people but it's not that bad. I would recommand it.

3. finalwars

finalwars Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can vouch for HJC as well. Although the last arc was quite messy, its a solid 9/10 overall if you don't count the last arc. It has a satisfying end as well, with not much problems.

From your list, it seems that you are completely fine with anti-hero protagonist. If that's the case, I recommend WMW. The number one thing I always look out for in WN before anything else is the consistency and pacing, and WMW has that almost to a tee. Every arc including the last is solid, but it still has the same problem with almost every WN, especially CWN; rushed ending. WMW would've been an almost perfect novel to me personally if the author wrote 5 extra after-story chapters as it desperately needed one.
    Although quite rushed, it still has a satisfying ending.

4. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    I was torn because I wasn't sure, now I can safely read it, thanks! If the whole book is good I can probably supplement the ending with my own imagination

StressedByTheBooks and finalwars like this.
  5. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay :) thanks for the heads up! What a letdown for being overall great books :( I'll just push off IET and Er Gen's works (and probably not finish Er Gens). So this was the reason when I read Pursuit of the Truth/Way of the Devil it lost steam at 900 chapters (it was one of my favorites!). It's the case of the higher your expectations the harder - and more hurtful - the fall.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    StressedByTheBooks likes this.
  6. NikuMeat

NikuMeat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems like youre into Xuanhuan and Xinxia genre. Judging by those, it seems like youre into an mc with evil personality. I would recommend Reverend Insanity.

7. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, I did read it! It's the first true xianxia I have read. That's not to say I'm into evil mc because I do hate Fang Yuan as a person. I'm more in admiration of their tenacious personalities, interested in what they can accomplish and the question of: how far can they go?

StressedByTheBooks and NikuMeat like this.
  8. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only speak for Desolate Era and Warlock of Magus World.

The incorporation of Chinese mythology is interesting and nice in Desolate. But... I just can't get over the 'romance' in that novel. The general ending is 'okay'... But the last chapter (at least I'm pretty sure it was the last chapter) is cringey for me?

Warlock though... I quite like. He's not "evil" but driven. Haven't read Reverend, I think some people have felt they were similar? But don't quote me on that.

Vague enough?

9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    issth and awe are great for 3/4th of the run before taking a fucking nosedive in quality. So as long as you are willing to pretend that only 3/4th of the novel exists, they are pretty good.

Coiling Dragon is pretty solid. Desolate Era was okay too.

10. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I only really said vague so there won't be spoilers, but general explanations like the "romance part sucked", "an arc was written stupidly", or "filler chapter" are a-okay.

11. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh okay, I can ignore those remaining parts blobmelt_thumbs Those are pretty popular and have generally good reception so I had to know IF those were worth it. I have to ask though, do you know what are the chapters where it took a nosedive? You can give me an estimate of which chapter numbers those are if you don't remember :]

12. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 on “romance part sucked” for desolate.

13. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ttnh is comedy??????what are you reading???

AWE doesn't have amazing comedy. it's just the same jokes repeated over again and again. the ending is utter rubbish and the cn readers raged when it ended.
    over here however, people just parrot what WW says. tbh er gen best novel is issth, but issth isn't as good as everyone here makes it out to be.

same for desolate era.

crazy lich....isn't really funny...i find it difficult to read, as do many others here.

house of horrors was really good at the start...but not so good later on...the ending is good tho

Martial arts masters...i couldn't read alot of this due to the plotholes and the MC's cheat being a huge plot hole as well.

CCG is pretty good, but it's really slow...imho, this is the best novel out of everything you've mentioned here...

i've read several IET novels and they're all very similar. one running joke about his novels is the huge numbers, huge amount of planes. he also does not write harem but has some romance in it, but the romance and family is often abandoned by the MC as he goes on adventures of his own and then maybe u get an update from them like every 500 chapters or so.

all of TJSS novels are the same. they're just tournaments after tournaments. his novels are really boring and HJC is the best example of why you should stop reading his novels.

DD which is highly praised is also just tournaments after tournaments in disguise. in HJC, near the end, he started building his own faction and army, but then instead of them fighting, they did a tournament instead....i mean..what the heck?

tailsman emperor, which WW praised to the heavens also turned out to be tournament. the MC can't even eat a meal in a restaurant without the restaurant organizing a tournament.

Once Upon a Time in a Spirit Sword Mountain tbh is a really weird novel. it starts off without telling you that the MC is transmigrated or reincarnated, yet he often babbles and has knowledge from earth. he even brings his stuff like pyramid schemes and MLM into the cultivation world...this novel has an anime and the anime was pretty good...but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

the tutorial is too hard is....a novel that i really want to like, but i just can't. i once asked in it's thread if the MC ever gets out of the tutorial or if it ends shortly after he gets out which would just suck, and the translated said he actually gets out around the halfway point of the novel. i think a year later, he stopped translating the novel and he's still in the tutorial. i think i was right and it's pretty clear that the translator lied.

never read the rest.

the romance is basically sat on a boat together
    fell in love
    time fast forward
    fight war
    girl is preggy
    girl dies
    mc vows to revive her
    10 volumes later, it's clear that mc and author has forgotten about her
    a few volumes right before the end, author remembers and suddenly asks how to revive her
    last chapter, she's revived!........

oh and also WW -> best novel ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Good is pretty subjective to me as I have read trash novels but still eat that junk - basically as long as a cliche is handled differently in a great/interesting way from all the other stuff then it could work for me, including tournaments (and in return I hate mindless repetitivenes or forgotten stories, characters, and details). I'm basically looking for flaws. So even if much of yours is opinion for me to be honest, I still find it useful, thanks :) ----

TTNH is very dark and grim yet has comedy in between that is amazingly funny in my opinion. It's as funny as CCG to me, and some jokes are more comedic due to the absurdity yet blending of it in the story.

Spirit sword mountain feels just like a mildly serious gag :blob_grin: to me so I'll read it if I'm bored or something

Lich is very difficult for it's dense info-dump and details, clunkiness, featuring a dense protag to boot. One of the long novels I have started with when I had no clue of others, yet I still like the complexity and underlying plot of it. Comedy is not the best I agree and falls short or cheesy sometimes, but I am an easy smiler and there are pretty comedic gags there.

Oh :blobfearful: I only read 20 chapters for MM, hmm.. I'll see for myself.

Really:blobjoy:? I gotta see for myself though for overwhelmingly good reviewed novels because everything out there will have some bad things about them, and it all comes down if I can ignore the shortcomings which in this case is t-o-u-r-n-a-m-e-n-t-s.

LMAO, noted man. tournaments:blobjoy: and I can't stand just putting close characters to the side if the mc have personalities who otherwise really care

I won't read tutorial then, I never really got taken in by the start. What you said also lowered my expectations for DE, ISSTH, and handle AWE carefully :hmm:.

I agree with the My House of Horrors, the great stuff got interspersed with boring parts. It became somewhat of a chore because of the long arc and lack of breathers. But if I have something to pride in, it is the ability to persevere throughout the boredom to dig out the little nugets of gold! Or just that I can wait for things to get better which it did. Either way I can still ignore small shortcomings when it doesn't bother me.

And one last thing, "oh and also WW -> best novel ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -> is this wuxiaworld? or Warlock? 'cause google doesnt explain it specifically.

15. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ttnh is not comedy...i don't know why anyone would say it's comedy or it's funny...this author novels are popular because of the way he writes, which is sadly lost in translation. many of the phrases he writes in chinese are almost poetic, with double meaning. for example, that part where the mc uses one sword to mess up the capital has it's literal meaning, but it could also mean that he basically messed up the capital in 1 move or with 1 swing of the sabre. one of the best phrases i've seen in a novel but he has never written comedy.

this is even less funny than the sacred ruins, which people kept on tagging comedy as it's main genre was it was never funny after the first few chapters.

the whole disappointment with HJC is that for hundred of chapters, the mc and everyone else, including the author was gearing you up for a huge war at the very end. but then later it just became a huge tournament which cemented the idea in me that TJSS can't write anything besides tournament and that's the only thing he knows how to write.

WW = wuxia world. basically everyone here believes that everything they translate is the best thing ever which is just not true. it's popular, and now since they are not doing any qidian novels, they aren't doing the most popular stuff anymore either...

anyway CN novels all have very similar things imho. the first is long separation, which i have come to hate so i often go for dad novels which are so much better.
    IET novels often have family and romance in them, but just like DE, they're often rubbish and just baits that will become long separation or they will just get forgotten as the mc goes on his own adventures.
    ttnh author also has does the same thing. very early romance, and then long separation. followed by the entire bullshit of how the MC claws and digs his way back to the girl, only to find that she's stronger than him. also yay girl power. this author is more or less a feminist who supports girl power which is why his novels are also very popular. basically everything sjw wants. also often good side characters in his novels.
    TJSS novels fall into the same trap. early romance and then long separation. also writes good side characters and harem (i think HJC is the only harem tho, DD is always single love interest with many side characters)

warlock is WMW. i've shared my thoughts on this novel before. the start was fanatastic. the mc had a personality and so on, but later you can just replace him with a sock puppet and there wouldn't be any difference. that's how devoid of personality the mc is.
    it's strange how everyone praises this novel. it's even more strange how people compare this to the MC of RI who still has a personality (basically super selfish and self centered. also sociopath and psychopath)

16. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Well we have our differences in opinions there. Basically I'm fine with the long separation in TTNH because it only happened in the span of 1-2 years. If it had some bullshit about 50-100+ years (like Pursuit of the Truth) then depending on the book I might still read it, but I know most writing like that is unrealistic and frustrating. Well TTNH yeah is also about strong female characters but imo that's way way better than only giving power and talent to males like most other novels (and making all women jade beauties, damsels in distress, love interests) - it's plot convenience yes, but if it has a cause in the story, then better. Most of the writing is pretty much poetic and has multiple meanings, and when it comes to that it puts my imagination and comprehension to the test and it's hard to get into that for most, especially the fights and long scenes.

Fang Yuan for me feels pretty... empty. He has strong character traits and stuff, pronounced in desires and goals but because of the villainy he doesn't feel much human anymore. Demon, as said in the novel, is the right term. I would read WMW but I pretty much expect similarities in personality in WMW's protag because CN's I read usually mishandle the emotionless/ruthless character trope.

I have never actually read a TJSS novel. Doulou Dalu in manhua form is the only one, but I found it pretty shounen like and this was when I first started reading. The build-up of HJC sounds pretty much of a letdown... Well thanks (y)

edit: I never really got into wuxiaworld, I had only gone there for few novels I find interesting but I had read novels there which frankly disappointed me because the original work fell into the downgrading spiral of storyteling. The site is good though and many tl's are from the site, it also has it's merits, and demerits - people just shouldn't overhype it. I feel that it's a good site for those who are starting novels because they won't know which one to start reading and beginners don't have something to compare to...

17. oatesi

oatesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall vouch for er gen and stellar transformation as good reads though I may be biased due to them being my first two novels.

May I suggest way of choices, its pretty slow at first not gonna lie, like really slow at first and isnt yet complete but theres a decent amount of chapters.

18. Sleep-deprived-enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    I relate to having biases. Reading experience is linear (---------->) so what you liked back then (-here------>) and now (------here->) can't be directly compared. Unless you reread it, the number of books you read and also life experience will influence what you felt about a book at one point in time even if the book itself is not great (like the books I started with as a beginner, still have nostalgia and remember the fun).

I actually planned to read Way of Choices later because I feel it is the kind of book that fits my taste, thank you for the recommendation though :]

19. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wtf are we the same person because we read the same thing.

Mushoku tensei - i read till the end. I think this is the template for all other novel of its ilk. When I first read it it was fresh thus I have great fondness to it. The characters are interesting, the plot is good and logical, the world building and magic system make sense, the ending is great and most importantly eventhough its a harem, it is sweet and you don't feel like any of the girls cuckolded or mistreated. MC meet and loved them at different point of his life and he never knew he will meet them again so he's not a scumbag that string girls along.

Death sutra - I read until the first volume and stop because theres no translation at that time. I may continue when I have time. Its really a great novel if you just love MC being stepped on, MC that struggle to death, and MC that do not have any OP power. I love it because the more miserable MC is the better the story becomes. All the characters in the novel have their own Story and their own agenda that jerk mc along here and there but MC persevere. This is a xuanhuan thus more realistic and make the struggle of life and death closer to the readers.

The tutorial is too hard - another novel that I love simply because I love misrable and tortured MC. I read until he get out of the tutorial. He is really OP but his road to OPness is a road of misery and suffering thus you feel like he deserve the power (unlike other MC that get them for free). The aspect I love the most is his mental breakdown and author know how to convey his shattered mind to the readers making us teary.

So these are the top JP, CN, and KR novels that I think you should read. I read most of the one in your list but I think these three are the most impactful to me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  20. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Renegade Immortal/Xian Ni - novel is completed and ending is ok. Part of a bigger universe.
    2. Swallowed Star - novel is completed and ending is ok.
    3. Coiling Dragon - novel is completed and ending is decent.
    4. The Desolate Era - novel is completed and ending is ok.
    5. I Shall Seal The Heavens - novel is completed and ending is good. Part of a bigger universe.
    6. Stellar Transformations - novel is completed and ending is ok.
    7. Lord Xue Ying - novel is completed and ending is ok.
    8. Inch of Radiance - haven't read.
    9. A Will Eternal - novel is completed and ending is ok. Part of a bigger universe.
    10. The Immoral Executioner/Zhanxian - decent enough.
    11. Heavenly Jewel Change - felt rushed.
    12. The Gate of Good Fortune - haven't caught up with the ending.
    13. Hail the King - felt rushed.
    14. Terror Infinity - didn't
    15. Reincarnation Paradise - haven't caught up with the ending.
    16. Warlock of the Magus World - a rushed ending
    17. Mushoku Tensei (have read manga as a beginner in the past) - decent. One of the best JP novels.
    18. Once Upon a Time in a Spirit Sword Mountain (have read manhua as a beginner in the past) - haven't caught up with the ending.
    19. Demon's Diary - felt inconclusive and rushed.
    20. Legend of the Great Sage - raws are dead, novel is not completed.
    21. Reincarnator - felt a bit rushed.
    22. Death Sutra- haven't caught up with the ending.
    23. The Amber Sword- haven't caught up with the ending.
    24. The Tutorial is Too Hard - haven't caught up with the ending.