Request Audiobooks~

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by akki, Mar 4, 2021.

1. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo~

I've been working from home for almost a year now and a lot of that time has also been spent on YouTube. I've listened to a lot of music, watched funny clips, watched tv shows (that I could find) and listened to some audiobooks of books I've read growing up.

Now I'm kinda sick of songs. Funny clips are good but as I'm working I can only listen and not watch so its not as good. The same goes with tv shows. Audiobooks on the other hand I've enjoyed listening to. But I've only listened to those from from books I know and want to branch out to others.

So I'd like recommendations for audiobooks please. I love horror, fantasy & sci-fi. I'd like recommendations for these but I'm open to some mystery, thriller & crime as well. Share with me what you've listened to and what you like please.

Thanks in advance~

Deleted member 304540 likes this.
  2. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    idk if you want harry potter audiobooks? you might know the story, or maybe you are of the rare breed that doesn't actually know them?
    https://hpaudiobooks.club
    for audiobooks, I haven't actually listened to any fantasy novels yet, only informative books

akki likes this.
  3. Dolidza

Dolidza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For an old classic I can recommen the radio show for "hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" by Douglas Adams. I havent listened to a lot of audio dramas/books but I really enjoyed that

Fulminata and akki like this.
  4. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    After my work.... oooooooh boy you are getting a big list. Just linger in anticipation.

akki likes this.
  5. hayyan

hayyan Gold Brick

Reading List:
    Link
    The Martian.

akki likes this.
  6. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mainly listen to talk radio sort of youtube, but am searching for new material myself. Unfortunately, I can't listen to novels when I work.

As for audiobooks, I recommend Mark F. Smith's rendition of Sherlock Holmes https://librivox.org/the-adventures-of-sherlock-holmes-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle-2/ and other works that he has completed.

I haven't listened to them myself, but the audiobook versions of Larry Correia's Hard Magic is highly regarded. It's read by Brian Pinchot, who was Balki in Perfect Strangers, but is a far more serious voice talent.

akki likes this.
  7. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    are you talking the audible site or just audio books in general?
    I'll list a few outside of the normal WoT series and the like that everyone always recommends.
    for published books, Haruki Murakami has some great magical realism type stories. Ready Player One was an interesting read. S.M. Sterling's The Change series for a different EOW flavor (no zombies) but the first few books are dated, given the first book was written before 1998 and are still being published now, and also dated but enjoyable is Alan Dean Foster's Pip and Flinx series. for something a little darker Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series was decent and Steven Mchugh's Nate Garrett novels are good.
    if you want some fast food self published pulp fiction that covers everything from supernatural to sci fi to urban fantasy you could try Michael Anderle's Kurtherian Gambit Universe (it's gotten huge with dozens of writers writing in his universe).
    Micheal J Sullivan a some good epic fantasy type series. also the litrpg series The World Tree trilogy by E.A. Hooper was or Chatfield's Emerilia series.
    (I'm listening to Michael Anderle's Animus series and Michelle Sagara's Elantra series atm. the first is fun and the second is interesting and well written)
    hopefully one or the other of those might suit your tastes.

Viola likes this.
  8. annna11

annna11 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    books everyone should read in their lifetime

9. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so none according to you?
    I'm just kidding, I know it is just that you can't post links yet (get to 10 messages for that)
    or you just didn't bother in the least after writing a few bold words

10. Euphues

Euphues Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I am enjoying "legends of the first empire" series... I quite like the first 2 to 3 books, but I lost a bit of momentum on the 4th tho.

rhianirory and akki like this.
  11. dilettante

dilettante Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of all the audible ads I heard on yt... Does anyone use audible here? Does that app have good ones?

12. Euphues

Reading List:
    Link
    I am rolling in credits... I have brought all the books I wanted.... and still not using them all... I genuinely have to stop my subscription soon...

The collection depends on the region, some are good some not so... but the narrator plays a big role.
    For example, I remember Colin Bateman's Mystery man series, I can't say for the book, but I recall just enjoying the listening. So I liked it a lot. https://www.audible.com.au/pd/Mystery-Man-Audiobook/B00FMRNLB6

On the other hand, some self-published novels that are trash also got professional voice actors and no amount of good narrating can save those dumpster fires.

rhianirory and dilettante like this.
  13. dilettante

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I just clicked the link and found out there's a 30-day free trial :blobmelt: this free trial things are always the start of my new addiction but well, let's roll :blobsalt:

Fulminata likes this.
  14. Euphues

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember to double check your location, don't be like me end up with both US and AU account only to realise I can only use AU account!

15. dilettante

Reading List:
    Link
    Omo, big thanks!

Euphues likes this.
  16. orangethegreatorange

orangethegreatorange Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I listened to the beginning of Mistborn and it sounds promising. I would recommend listening to it if you haven’t yet!

Euphues likes this.
  17. Euphues

Reading List:
    Link
    The Stormlight Archive also by Sanderson is also worth a listen

Now that I think about it, Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft I also enjoyed very much.

18. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay. The much awaited and anticipated and horrendously late... list of recommendations!

All these recs are ones who have good Narrators as even the best of books will crash and burn with even mediocre narration.
    Names to look out for as the best are.
    Tim Gerard Reynolds
    Ray Porter
    George Guidell
    R.C. Bray
    Nick Podehl

The Martian by Andy Weir (5/5)
    Sci-Fi (very realistic)
    - Super solid book turned movie. I've listened to it well past... 15... times... its great. I love it, can narrate it myself at this point.

Mitch Rapp Series by Vince Flynn (4/5)
    Fiction
    - Good action with good storytelling and character building. I won't say its a stunning series, a 5/5 series of books ill never forget. Its a 4/5. All the books are of consistently high quality and keep coming back with enough originality to keep you engrossed.

Jack Ryan Series by Tom Clancy (5/5 Clancy Era)
    Fiction
    - My favorite long running series. It has the action, the winding plots that lead to sights unknown realistically. Political intrigue as well and the more spy side of the world. Stellar characters and motivations as well as a love for detail that I find amazing. This isn't a listen you can skim through or listen half heartedly, you will miss important things. But it is a series worth the time and focus... even with some books over 50 hrs long. Just fantastic fiction. Just great... it takes a dip after Tom Clancy died though. New authors adding their own thing trying to stay true... they are good. Just not Clancy good.

Divine Dungeon Series by Dakota Krout (4/5)
    Lit-Rpg, Fantasy & Magic
    Arguably less than a 4 but it is really good light listening. Doesnt take an overly lot of focus. Its fun with some negatives. Good light listening but perhaps but it lower on your list of to reads if you like how it sounds.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (5/5)
    - A great series of modern magic. The Narrator takes some getting used to at first but after a bit of time you won't ever be able to picture anyone else bringing the book to life.
    The book has good characters with an expertly paced reveal of the world.

Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson (4/5)
    Sci-Fi
    Great books with comedy that doesnt overpower the books. It comes in just the right dose and time. The reason it gets a 4 is because the later books (starting at like 8) do get a little repetitive. Not egregiously but it is there. The first 6 books would get a 5 from me but the series as a whole now just doesn't quite cut it.
    Still a fantastic series

Replay by Ken Grimwood (6/5)
    Fiction
    Here ss my audible review.

This book blew me away.
    Simple as that.

When i picked this up i had no idea the treat that awaited me. I expected a book that would inevitably delve a little too deeply into specific points in history, a fight against time and space kind of setting revolved around one act as most books with similar premises do.
    This isn't to say those are bad... just that they miss out on something that could be truly great, something that Replay does not skip a beat on and executes fantastically.

To avoid spoilers to anyone, all i will say is that this book dives more deeply into the themes and human emotions connected to such a surreal experience.

This book scratched an itch that i didn't even know i had.
    This is about the highest praise i can give. It filled a void i didn't realize i had until it filled it.

For the really great books saying too much is a bad thing. You just need to read it.

The First Fifteen Live of Harry August by Claire North (6/5)
    Fiction/Fantasy
    Audible Review

This book sat in my library for well over a year before i came to listen to it. I had tried it out initially upon purchase but left it after a chapter. Looking back after so long and having finished this book i can't say what led me to drop this but i can say that whatever it was it was quite the mistake i made.

This book is, magical. The depths to which we explore our protagonist Harry throughout his life is fantastically written and detailed. We see human nature at some of it's lowest moments but also in some of its greatest triumphs. There are no one note characters here, there is real depth and motivation behind the actions everyone takes. Agree or disagree with any as you like, but you will understand that drive and it is so well done.

I don't have very many 5-Star across the board Audio-Books. Some Jack Ryan, some Expeditionary Force. Then it comes down to the very few True Gems like this where i wish i could give a 6th star or ponder a change of how i rate books just so people can know that these truly do stand above the rest.
    A book that so thoroughly draws you in and just makes you feels at a loss once you finish it. Like you have just both gained and lost something so profound that you can't place your finger on it.

I could not recommend this more.

The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman (6/5)
    Modern Fantasy & Fiction
    Now a TV Show that can't capture the true greatness of these books.

There is alot to say about these books, especially the 1st. Just amazing.
    We get to explore the very souls of these characters and what makes them tick with magic not as spectacle but used to further the characters.
    These books give you perspective and ponder carefully you may just come away with something.
    The skill put into the character and the way they interact with everything is insane. Other areas are weaker only because you compare them with this. Everything is in service to the characters and it turns out a masterfully trilogy. Most notably the 1st book but the others meld together and make it whole.
    Now it isn't the best rated series of books out there and I can't for the life of me figure out why. So maybe its just me singing such high praises but I can only pass on what I think.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (5/5)
    Fiction
    It puts the movie to shame. I mean I enjoyed the film but the book is leagues ahead. Like, can't even see how far ahead it is.

Its just great.

Now I know I had two 6/5's. But here is my absolute #1 recommendation for an Audiobook.

Dawn of Wonder by Jonathan Renshaw

I haven't reviewed this really anywhere because I just can't quite put it into words without it sounding like I got paid to review it... paid alot.
    This one is another deep dive into characters, they are my favorite novels. The ones that really put the focus on the characters and the way they interact in the world. Not spectacle.

You follow a seemingly happy Aiden through his normal life. Under the mask of happiness there is pain and abuse, add in a harsh world and you see young Aiden brought low. Past the point of breaking you would think anyone could take. But it isn't just written cheap. You see his hidden strength, potential and intelligence. You see him grow, fight his demons and not always win. But he'll push through all the same. All this is complimented by an incredible world filled with many well written characters. Magic is for book 2 when it does come out. In this one its all about human determination, skill and hard work and it thrives for that.
    It just an incredible read simply put. The author is going through his masters but book 2 is close. It is in the final stages of editing reportedly and has been read by pre-readers so it is coming.
    There's more anticipation here than I sadly made you wait in.

akki likes this.
  19. Fictionaddiction

Fictionaddiction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Download Balabolka an e-reader. go to any text you want read to you. And you're done . there's also a browser extension. called TTS I think.

akki likes this.
  20. Tita von Deeznuts

Tita von Deeznuts Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you considered podcasts? There are a lot of fiction ones, and many of them are free. If you like short fiction, you can start with Levar Burton Reads. There are serial dramas too, if you want longer things.

akki likes this.