Request Author Messages to Readers

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Raphael, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I was watching message from Kindhearted Bee the author of MGA to the wuxiaworld readers and I was wondering if any Web Novel authors from some other well known xianxia web novels have done something similar and if they have were can I watch or read them, when I say something similar I mean leave a video or a message for their non-Chinese readers.

Ravi likes this.
  2. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    from what ik not many Chinese author do that kind of things. there is 3 or 4 Chinese author ik who do that stuff(leave a message for their non-Chinese readers) one is author of MGA n the other one is author ISSTH n i forgot the other 2

Ravi likes this.
  3. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    the author of that slime tensei novel, he gave permission to the translator

Ravi likes this.
  4. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres not many "video's" like MGA's author did, but most authors in webnovels usually just leave a note in the bottom of a chapter mentioning over sea's fan's and all that. Video's are extremely rare.

Ravi likes this.
  5. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    There's another long post on Wuxia World that RWX translated. I'm assuming you already read that since it's linked on Bee's message.

CDLevit and Ravi like this.
  6. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not 100% , but I think the author of Legendary Moonlight Sculptor ( Korean) contacted those translators to stop after Volume 20, because it had been licensed to be professionally translated and sold or something. Either the author or someone else related to marketing it atleast, but I can't remember which group(s) posted the message / reason why they stopped translating.

7. Anoncommander1

Anoncommander1 The Commander

Reading List:
    Link
    actually nope. Royal Road and Japtem is the one asking if it is okay for them to translate LMS into English and the author himself give them a green light but the translation shouldn't go over vol 20. when the novel translation was about half way or so into vol 20 they asked permission again to go over 20 but at that time the author seems like already making a contract to publish LMS in English with other company. but now that company which handle LMS English version already go bankrupt for some reason which i forgot.

Not many author from xinxia or wuxia or from ncode know that their work was being translated by fans since some of the translation group doesn't even ask for permission to translate the work. Kindhearted Bee can make this kind of video for fans outside of chinese because before FBT has contact the author himself when he ask the author permission for translate his work into English. and i doubt the author of xian ni/ ISSTH video that was posted on WW before is address to fans outside of chinese community. well i only watch half of it so i am not to sure but i think the author just want to promote his own novel.

8. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that later part, but I remembered something atleast. I was a bit curious when people continued translating as normal , now at the 26th volume or so, but either I skipped out on that part or noone mentioned that the company went down on one of the sites.

9. Anoncommander1

Anoncommander1 The Commander

Reading List:
    Link
    nah they just continue translating and doesn't ask for permission from author just like any other site.

10. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not Xian Xia, but the authors of Slave Career Planner & Parallel World Pharmacy noticed English translation of their work. The author of slave career management mention about the english translation in updates announcement, while the author of Parallel world Pharmacy e-mailed the the english translator (Joeglens) to say thank you.

11. Red Nation

Red Nation Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder how these authors would feel if they found out the translators were making money off their stories.

12. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer is too obvious though. What would you feel if you see someone selling the cake you made without having any cut therefrom?

EDIT: I just have to tell that there are still some exceptions. For example, if you ask permission to the author, and he's ok with it, then good for both parties. Additionally, it gives more people to see his work too. The author can think of it as an advertising expense. So, it can also work in both ways.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  13. Red Nation

Red Nation Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk dude, that's a slippery ass slope. If I'm advertising something usually the persons who's stuff I'm advertising gets some type of money from it. And that usually involves contracts. And that usually involves lawyers. And that usually involves people ending up getting sued for breaching a contract. That and I think its corny to make money off of someone elses work, especially since I understand just how challenging coming up with shit is.

14. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, it all comes to returns in the end. Good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.