Authors' racism

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Rhyel, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    Also anyone claiming that Asia has a worse history of atrocities is apparently unaware of the details of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Asia doesn't have a worse history of atrocities, just a longer recorded history of them. Because they have a longer recorded history in general.

There is blood and atrocity on the hands of all our ancestors.

Holy shit, you are seriously indoctrinated.
    If you think ancient slavery (say Roman style) was just as bad as the Transatlantic Slave Trade. You are wrong. Very wrong. The Transatlantic Slave Trade was slavery turned up to 11, then 12 because they decided 11 didn't make them feel superior enough.

That said I don't expect you to change your views, just the fact that you wrote that first paragraph alone indicates you are probably well beyond saving.

2. H0RR1BL3CPU

H0RR1BL3CPU [Hotline to Shiroyukineko] [白酒鬼]

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it on a baidu post by some Chinese guy while doing research for a term called 棍子 while I was still translating. Apparently when Korea was still goryeo they were a subordinate to Japan and plenty of Koreans signed on with the Japanese army to invade China. There, they oppressed the Chinese even more than jap soilders did

Doomr likes this.
  3. H0RR1BL3CPU

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeap

4. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Japan never officially apologized because if it was "official" that would have open them up to pay huge amount of indemnity toward surviving people. But Japan did apologize, just not officially.

That's quite wrong. Take the Tang dynasty for example.
    https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/history/tang/foreign-polices.htm

5. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    US brainwashes its citizens to hate Russia. Propaganda is normal and every government does it.

6. H0RR1BL3CPU

Reading List:
    Link
    When I said worse history, I was referring to the torture methods that were used. Not war crimes Or human rights crimes committed because honestly, when it comes to that transnational shit I get feeling the west wins by a long shot.

7. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is kind of fuzzy at the moment, but Japan's past war crimes came up during the occupation and (I think) they were kind of pressured by the U.S. into apologizing/recognizing the crimes. But at the same time they stated a lower amount of raped and killed. While China stated a much higher amount. (Which is the cause for calling it a huge controversy)

8. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have much details but China, Korea and Japan warred against each other for centuries.

9. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh there have been some damned horrific tortures invented by everyone, admittedly the recentness of WWII arguably allowed the people coming up with horrific atrocities to be somewhat more creative and thus horrifying. But it's not hard to find similar levels of evil in any culture, hello Salem Witch Trials.

And unlike Europe who did the same, they kept records.
    Ancient Europeans had a really annoying habit of burning down libraries.

MadHatter and ongoingwhy like this.
  10. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant the part where Korea did some horrible things to China.

11. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    Doomr likes this.
  12. H0RR1BL3CPU

Reading List:
    Link
    If Japan's apology was officially acknowledged by their government, Asia wouldn't have to deal with their revisionist BS.

13. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    It was probably the usual rape and pillage plus the occasional butchering of entire cities. China, Japan and Korea likes to accuse each other of such crimes but they all did in it the past, even towards their own "countrymen".(Before unification)

14. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    Modern Japanese like to claim that slavery hasn't existed in Japan since the 1600s, which is much like claiming that serfs aren't slaves. (Yes they are.)

Even if they 'officially' admitted all the shit that happened during WWII, we'd still have to deal with their revisionist bullshit. Because we have to deal with everyone's revisionist bullshit.

And now I'm annoyed about historical revisionist bullshit, so that's my cue to sleep.

15. H0RR1BL3CPU

Reading List:
    Link
    Textbook changes~~~ sook ching suddenly became a good thing and Jap occupation of SG was a period of elightentment under the glorious Japanese rule where Singaporeans were all happy. Load of fucking bullcrap my grandparents were downright miserable in those years. I probably wouldn't even be born if their grandparents before them weren't hiding in kinmen
    Edit: that said I blame the British for getting their teeth kicked in in under a month that lieutenant percival fellow was a worthless wanker and he still got promoted to colonel? Hell if you look at historic recounts by locals during those periods the brits were being cocky bastards and wasting their time by literally fucking around with prostitutes

16. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, it's kinda fuzzy. Here are some link that can shade some light into this mess. I'm not posting these just for you, but for anyone else who might be interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women#Apologies_and_compensation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes#Official_apologies

Also read :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes#International_and_Japanese_law.

Doomr likes this.
  17. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I'm not saying it was some joyride across the ocean. Just the fact that there was quite a significant cooperation from locals, not simply traders randomly kidnapping people (although that happened often as well). Internal conflicts do that a lot (that's also how Romans got Scandinavian slaves through germanic tribes). Life was different and attitudes based on skin colour came later (Saint Maurice had a lot to do with general skin colour tolerance back then, until Church lost its influence). White slavery existed and exists even now, but it is generally glossed over for some reason, and in a sense, it is also a type of racism. All lives matter, right?

The external communication, politics and so on does not really matter from the cultural point of view. It doesn't change the fact that the attitude remained superior and arrogant most of the times. On the other hand, they did have the capital to behave so.

xalienxgamerx likes this.
  18. lynette

lynette Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Save A Dog, Eat A Chinese
    Eat A G...
    Take kuru disease into consideration, please don't eat human beings.
    Just a joke.

Well,Qidian is coming, I thingk those plots might be censored.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  19. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh is that so.... I live in asia so I didnt know much about that regard. However, if you look at it as a whole, only the higher up in America do that while China is just .......

20. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be put much simpler - everyone is actually racist, to some extent. Stereotypes, lack of information, cultural environment etc leave their mark.