Authors' racism

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Rhyel, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Ams

Ams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most people confuse Patriotism with Nationalism
    That subtle difference between them is the cause of wars hate and discrimination... history proves it.

Airye likes this.
  2. Ams

Ams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ah.. I'm sorry I didn't make it clear completely.. What I mean to say is that most of them do.. obviously there are those who under their banner of Nationalism and Country's Pride don't acknowledge.. then again these type of acts have been done before and even now. Most of the time it is not the whole Army which is wrong,usually it is just some twisted ones.

3. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    well you know asian country suffered more than west country and because of that some of them hate foreigner ever till now so deal with it

4. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Weak argument and most countries have been attacked at some point, Japan attacked China before the vast, vast majority of Chinese were born.

Though god and devil world having racism makes sense, in such a chaotic world tribal nature would come out strong.

5. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
    So stupid and uninformed about world events.

6. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of calling people stupid, why don't you explicit your point of view?

7. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it's pointless, if he cared he could do a quick google search about the disgusting things that have happened outside of Asia but he prefers to live with the mindset "Only we have experienced hardships everyone else has lived a blessed life" like history isn't full of events like that.

8. Acarnina

Acarnina  

Reading List:
    Link
    In group mentality is a powerful force that most, if not all, nationalities have dealt with. People tend to like others like them more than those not like them.

In the west, there is the benefit of almost universally being the overwhelmingly dominant partner in the mixing of groups. White Europeans, for better or for worse, conquered most of the world and suppressed or enslaved basically every other race or nationality. Thus, when they decided to stop hating other groups, they had it easy: the other was below them, and they were simply making it equal to them. There was no need for revenge or something because there was nothing to take revenge for. And yet, still, white Europeans discriminate against other races.

Imagine how it is for Asians, or Africans, or native Americans, who not only have the in group mentality but also generations of hatred and suppression to deal with. Imagine the Chinese, long feeling themselves inferior to the imperialistic Japanese or the Koreans who have pushed them out. Imagine the Mongols who conquered them multiple times, the whites who forced them off of the world stage, the blacks whose freedom pushed them into slavery.

No wonder the Chinese seem more racist than Americans. They have all of that historical baggage, plus a country that is almost homogenous in ethnicity (thus no incentive not to be racist) and a government that actively supports it because it enhances loyalty to party and country. It shouldn't be surprising at all, and it certainly shouldn't damage the quality of a novel. Classical European writings such as Kipling are not worse for their blatant racism; if it offends your sensibilities, don't read it. Same for modern Chinese writers.

9. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    The Chinese long feeling themselves inferior? Uhhh, I don't think you know what you're talking about friend. Until fairly recently (a couple of centuries) the Chinese were of the opinion that they were the oldest, most civilized and most powerful people on earth.

That was actually one of the major cultural issues that happened between the Europeans and the Chinese; the Europeans (especially the British) were of the opinion that they were the greatest, most civilized and most powerful people on earth and that therefore everyone should defer to them and respect them. And the Chinese were of the opinion that they were the greatest, most civilized and most powerful people on earth and that therefore everyone should defer to them and respect them.
    This resulted in diplomatic hiccups like the British ambassador (after a hell of a lot of effort) getting an audience with the Emperor to show off some of the fancy things the British empire could make so as to open up talks of improved trade. The Emperor of course saw these things as tribute from a weaker power to a greater one as was right and proper, as all gifts to the Emperor were tribute from a weaker power to a greater one.

The Chinese feeling 'inferior' to the Western world is a very recent thing, primarily brought on by gunboat diplomacy when the British went 'Oh really, you have all this history and civilization huh? Well we have cannons. So there.'

xalienxgamerx and Doomr like this.
  10. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess so? Maybe Im a bit racism about China

11. asvaa

asvaa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link

Well, I knew that. My point was all about the sinocentrism. Just sayin'

12. Lengyue

Lengyue Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thinks you are wrong here: Mongol only conquered China 1 time(Yuan Dynasty) but they tried to invade many times, the Qing Dynasty is jurchen's descendant (manchu).

13. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally true. The Chinese thought they were the middle of the world where all the minor powers revolved around them because they were the largest and most prosperous kingdom in the immediate area. 中国 (China) literally means "Middle Kingdom" the Koreans and Japanese had looked up to them in the past, and sent tributes to maintain friendly relations.

14. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    And for thousands of years they were basically right, then the Industrial Revolution happened and violently flipped the table of power balance.
    Unfortunately, the Chinese didn't notice this until British warships were sailing up the Yangtze River, capturing their forts and sinking their War Junks. Unsurprisingly this was a little too late.
    (Of course the fact that certain Qing officials were basically lying their balls off to the Emperor by reporting 'great victories' when in fact they had suffered crippling defeats probably didn't help much.)

15. Demonic Reader lv 451F

Demonic Reader lv 451F 蝶醒, 梦未.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, you never saw any movie about WW-2 yet? :)

16. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah.... not just the author, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Korean, etc... we are all basically racist and xenophobe. Don't try to deny it.
    why?
    Because we instinctively fear the unknown.
    As an Indonesian I have never met an African before. I dont know their attitude, I dont know their more, I dont know whether or not they hostile to me. This is where "knowledge" play a part.
    If all that I have is a book or story about how African are nice people, then my fear of them will be reduced. And when I get familiar with them, my fear might disappear if they are actually good people.
    But if all that I have is a book or story of how African is a weed monger, heroine addict criminals that see my countrymen as easy money, then I migh think that my fear is justified and the African is my enemy.

Fear is one of the strongest emotion that a human had. Hence why many politician use fear to mobilize many people.

Fun fact.
    Just several days ago in my country, there was an unfounded rumor that a person pretending as homeless crazy person kidnapped more than 300 kids for organ harvesting. In an instant, there were numerous lynching against homeless or mentally handicapped people by the fear stricken common people at several cities and villages, especially if they are new residents or just arrived from other region. As you can see, fear of their children at risk to be kidnapped play a part on their active discrimination and hate on unknown homeless or mentally handicaped people. Even when it was just rumor.

Now imagine if at every occassion you are taught that some country are bastard people that had sucked your country dry and now they tried to control and steal all your jobs and money, or that they had greatly insult your religion, or that they have been preventing your country to achieve its rightful greatness. What will you think?

Hence why an united Earth is impossible and any multiethnic country is like a tjme bomb, unless we can do something about our base nature of fearing the others...

17. doomeye1337

doomeye1337 /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Incubator, the messenger of magic~

Reading List:
    Link

yea, except there's also racial hatred aimed towards Koreans in novels such as IRAS. Show me a historical reason ( a real one that's verified by the rest of the world ) that gives China a legitimate complaint in line with such offenses as Nanjing.

Also, there IS a difference between nationalism and xenophobic jingoism...

18. H0RR1BL3CPU

H0RR1BL3CPU [Hotline to Shiroyukineko] [白酒鬼]

Reading List:
    Link
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goguryeo–Sui_War
    Also, Korea did some horrible shit during 2nd sino jap war while working under japan

19. doomeye1337

doomeye1337 /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Incubator, the messenger of magic~

Reading List:
    Link
    "working" while having their culture and language purged and having their women forced into barns as comfort women? really? If Vietnam had a grudge against Koreans, I'd understand, since they willingly committed atrocities during the Vietnam War since they wanted to show their alliance with USA, but China's got no reasonable reason for a grudge here.

20. H0RR1BL3CPU

H0RR1BL3CPU [Hotline to Shiroyukineko] [白酒鬼]

Reading List:
    Link
    Subordinate state. Korea was annexed by japan a long while back.