Authors taking their writing too literally

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Alexander Valdimir, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander Valdimir

Alexander Valdimir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wanna make a post about authors who add in realism to such a unbearable degree. When writing novels that isn't to the point where the main interest is to detail the unncessary life information of a popstar. Author must know that they need to give some distance from the real world.

Generally though, author understand this cause of how regardless and illogical the mc tends to prefer the other side of reality. Though what i'm talking about is when author tries to implement some work of reality to make it look.like one day this may actually possibilitly happen.

Like the world online book, mate, i dont wanna be reading reports chapter and chapter. Dont you little wannabe dipshit who argue for it talk about, "Wow so realistic, i cant even imagine being in that situation." Well i do, its call the bullshittery of real life.
    Honestly to those novels that guys just transport into some town and become the hottest shit. Just wanna say that the chances of you causing a pandemic destroying countries isnt small. Their years of developing immune system isnt as well develop,fun things to think about.

So realism should exist however i dont believe it should ever be taking into the most literal sense. Anyone have thoughts on how.much realism.should play in novels?

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  2. Ner0

Ner0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a deep question actually and it doesn't only concern books but also games, movies, painting... all forms of creativity.
    The question one must take into consideration when creating something is how to balance realism (conceivable) with entertainment (make it fun).

To me, it is the most vivid in games. When I see building/management games where the difficulty is too hard due to gathering too few resources or the building time being incredibly slow (which is realistic), it just drains the fun out of the game, it is tedious, it's just grinding.
    The same is true for the opposite. When the game is too easy because the resources are easily obtained or the construction speed is almost instantaneous (sandbox game) it just takes something out of the game. I can't take it seriously.

A perfect game is a mix between entertainment and realism. The same is true for novels.

To make a story realistic, you have to make it slow, hard for the characters and full of potholes. (reality isn't for the soft hearted)
    To make a story entertaining, you have to make it fast-paced, with characters that always triumph over adversity. The characters must be fleshed out but not too complicated or you just grow bored with their story.

You can create a realistic story, but most will find it boring.
    You can create an entertaining story but the interest will wane after a period of time.

Just like a serious story need comedy relief and romance at certain points. A good story must know how to find a balance with different elements. Take one element too far and you'll loose a portion of the audience.

Fulminata likes this.
  3. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    .Depends on what the story is about and suspension of disbelief.
    For example if that guy was transported to some town and all revolves around MC being a doctor that has a moral problem about possibility of killing the population with his viruses - your example would fit.
    If it's about survival - real life shit like boiling water and how to discern mushrooms in the forest will fit too.
    If it's a fantasy in medieval world and then author describes how something is as cool as a lamborgini - well. yeah.

On the other hand, sometime lack of understanding makes it cringy when authors take upon the topics they have no clue about. They could go into realistic details - but because they have a lack of knowledge they may just as well have cut it away and skipped through technical stuff.

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't agree with the OP. Different books are designed to cater to different audiences. It's absurd to claim that there should only be so much detail and no more. Unless it's written poorly I'd almost always prefer the highly detailed descriptions provided they're informative. This is especially true if the descriptions are used to build up the world and to make it come to life. It's vastly better than those stories out there which think that "it's a Medieval-like country" is proper world building.

Gitami and Barnnn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.