Discussion Awakening is Racist? RANT

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by NovelsJapan, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    You seem to be misunderstanding something. I already said that while there are some xenophobic Japanese, the vast majority are good people(aka not racist). Did I say it doesn't exist? The stuff you saying makes it sound like the most Japanese are xenophobic.

I'll change your last line a little.
    You're like those people who say: "I've read/heard about Muslim terrorists so all Muslims are terrorists. ". That's just idiotic.

2. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    No I don't. Like I said, I don't hate the Japanese, but they are xenophobic and racist. Not everyone are, that's for sure. But it's in their treatment toward some foreigner which they consider as sub-class human. Chinese are like that too, you can go to a hotel and try to make a reservation and they will tell you there's no vacancy. It's a blatant lie, they just don't want you there.

3. BlackBlade

BlackBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As an American I disagree that blacks and whites universally demonize each other. Sure their are some racist people but it's not very common. Maybe in certain parts of the US there are more racist people like a few southern states, and maybe in certain economic levels as well (from what I've seen it happens more frequently in rich and ignorant/arrogant families, or poor and ignorant families, and also gangs can be very racist), but if anyone tried to say something racist in a public place, or even on tv, they would get verbally attacked by pretty much everybody, and there can be even legal action taken against them. If you say something racist while in a job, expect to lose your job if its reported. There are anti-discrimination laws present here and racism has been a topic everyone is educated on in school here, not to mention by awareness groups and tv, so the public generally understands what should and should not be done. Also it's not just whites and blacks who can be racist. I've heard of some ancestrally hispanic, asian, indian, etc american families who will only allow their children to date kids with the same ancestry and have bad attitudes towards other races.

Despite this I've heard things are actually more racist in some European countries, who maybe haven't been as nationally focused and open about these issues as the US has been forced to be. Consider that the US is a hodgepodge of immigrants from across the world, so people from various different races have to interact with each other all the time, while some countries are nearly homogeneous racially and end up having weird beliefs and thoughts about different races due to lack of interaction.

I'd say the groups who truly demonize each other in the US are republicans and democrats, and to a lesser extent liberals and conservatives. There's also a bit of rich vs poor, but not nearly as classist as it is in say England.

4. AlaAmami

AlaAmami Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well at least you had the time to read it , thanks :)

5. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese have racism and xenophobic issue, according to a 2005 United Nations special rapporteur.

No, I'm telling you what I know about Japanese. I have Japanese friends so I know a bit about the issue. Strangely they don't deny the existence of racism the way strangers like yourself do. But my friends just shrugs their shoulders and say "meh, that's just how it is". In Japan, there's a lot of old people who teaches their view to the younger generation. It perpetuate things, it perpetuate the racism view, it perpetuate the xenophobic attitude. But my friends believe that at some point, things will change in the future. Even today the younger generation are already in revolt against the old system. But their point of view if different because my Japanese friends were raise surrounded by a multitude of ethnicity living in Canada.

6. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why... don't universally think that all Chinese demonize Japan or all Asians demonize Caucassian.
    But they will and certainly people who demonize others.

Also just face it, we are XENOPHOBE at heart and afraid of anything foreign from "the concept of us". We just don't want to admit it.
    We Humans just LOVE something that similar to us, so we are good to spot differences in other people, either through their sex, race, wealth, job, politics, pacifist view, PS or XBOX, sitting or squatting toilet, which one salad dressings is the best, sunk vs sank, etc... We placed them as "they" categoty, not "us". And we can only trust "us" not "they".
    And so, HUMANS tend to be uneasy or dislike someone who different from us / we didn't familiar.
    Even if it just a difference between how much sugar you use in a coffee is enough for you to demonize others. It just the demon ranking is different. Even I, a Yukkuri, also demonize other, people who love xianxia is a Level 1 Demon, while people who do a shitty job by witholding a poor rural doctor due to bureucratic papers problem is a Level 99 Demon. (USA is a demon Level 20-40 depend on their current foreign policy. Local Government is a demon Level 30-80 depending on the current idiotic program)

Of course Japanese would more or less xenophobic. First of all, they don't know whether this funny caucasian/Asian fellow understood local Japanese custom, whether they will be violent or not, whether they will do something that disturb local Japanese value or not, etc. After all Japan is more or less a monolithic culture that didn't familiar with living beside people who had different way of life than them.
    Even a multicultural society can be xenophobic. For example, although my Christian Coastal Dayak neighbors are rather familiar with the custom and culture of Muslim Malays, Catholic Inland Dayak, and whatever goes Chinese neighbors; if they encounter someone from a very different culture that they didn't familiar with, such as a Mormon Germans, they would do an unconscious discrimination and will have severe prejudice about him (due to incomplete knowledge about that culture) until they became familiar with him.

Even American had trouble with this prejudice. That's why, Trump could use successfully use his rhetoric of "Make America Great Again".

MadHatter, Arcturus and BlackBlade like this.
  7. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    In the end what you're saying is that... no idea what you were arguing with me for. You're way too sensitive and overreact easily only to end up agreeing to what was said. I didn't say all Japanese are racist or xenophobic. And I even stated that I don't judge people for their belief, it's their right to be what they want. Some people only see what's on the surface, they think racism is when you get insulted or yelled at. No, racism and xenophobic behavior have a more insidious effect. When you try to find housing and gets denied because they don't want your "kind" in the neighborhood. Or when your children gets segregated in school. Or when you get stop and apprehended by cops more often because of the color of your skin.

8. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    *sigh*

Everyone on this forum and in the entire world, just so you all know, is racist and xenophobic. Yes, you are a racist and a xenophobe. You are and always will be since that is how we humans psychologically operate. Deal with it. @Yukkuri Oniisan has longer and more descriptive posts above on this, but this is what it basically boils down to. So stop beating the dead horse and arguing about this inane topic.

Westeller, Jaded and Stormingtiger101 like this.
  9. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    Err.... what I said,
    This was my first message to you. Whatever I said later does not contradict what I said. I already admitted that there were some racists. But the majority werent.

And what you said,
    No matter how I read this, it sounds like you are saying that all or at least the majority of the Japanese are racist. Of that wasn't what you meant... then you'll have to construct your sentences better.

And dude, you really don't need to tell me xenophobic/racist behavior is. My country has too many of these problems right from religious riots and inter state fights to caste discrimation and denial of housing. So I'm not among those 'some' people who don't understand what xenophobia is.

This argument is going on for too long...

10. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    let me summarize my thoughts on this thread.

Zelda Rap Hero Rhyme - Copy.gif

but i can't look away

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  11. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    So it is as it look, you were over sensitive and overreacted. Saying they are one of the most doesn't mean they are all.

You need to learn to read instead of making asinine suggestion. See what I did here? How do you feel now?

Ok dude.

Then don't add to it. What's the point of arguing senselessly then complain about it later?

12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. D'ya think being overly nationalistic helps a qidian author dodge censorship? The other day I was surprised to read an article posted with a chapter of IRAS. I didn't realize it was that bad for some authors. I imagine they'd want to avoid that, if at all possible, and being openly nationalistic seems like a reasonable way to go about it.

Oh, this is the article I mean, if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

13. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL. I'd say your reaction is way over the top compared to mine. This sums up how I feel now. I found the response funny.

When you say something like as a whole, Japan is racist, it implies that the most Japanese are racist. Is that what you meant? Yeah, then I guess my suggestion was asinine. I hoped that you had made a mistake. You don't need to learn how to construct sentences in that case. I don't need to learn to read either, just had to realise that I was arguing with a bigot.

And no, I wasn't arguing senselessly. I was arguing with someone who I couldn't understand and he who can't understand me either. Wasn't complaining either, I just felt that it was embarrassing seeing that the thread had derailed from its original purpose and only the two of us were participating. Of course, if you feel like adding anything more, feel free to do so. I'll PM you my replies, so that other people don't have to watch this drama anymore.

14. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree. This one is a question of nature vs. nurture, and I'm quite sure it leans more heavily towards nurturing than human nature. It may just be that a child can't comprehend differences between themselves and others early in life, but concepts like racism, and especially something as obscure as nationalism, don't exist in a child's heart.

Saying humans are racists and xenophobic by nature seems like a gross overstatement to me.

Yukkuri isn't wrong, of course... We don't openly trust everyone we meet, we look for common ground with one another, and we're happier around people that agree with us, people that share our opinions, than those that hold different views. .. But that's not xenophobia, and it's not racism.

To begin with, Yukkuri is stretching xenophobia to cover even the smallest of differences between people, such as how much sugar is used in coffee, and that's not at all what the term means. More importantly, the idea that we're truly put off by these small differences lacks the ring of truth, doesn't it? Heck, when are you even going to find a person that eats and drinks all of the same things you do, in the same portions, at the same speed, on the same days? Everyone you meet is completely different from you in all of the little ways. You'd shun them all if that really mattered to you, even subconsciously. Because the sheer number of differences would overwhelm you, if you paid attention to them at all.

Y'know.. I don't even drink coffee. Hate the stuff. Think it's pointless, too.

But can you guess what I feel towards people who drink coffee?

Respect.

Because I've been nurtured by tv shows, movies, books and the people around me to view coffee drinkers as "adult," and "professional" for most of my life. It's a really subtle view, but it colors my perception of coffee and coffee drinkers. So don't worry about me chasing you away for drinking something I hate. Rather, drink it in front of me for bonus points.

Eat whatever you want in front of me, too, because the only thing I'm going to feel is curiosity, if your dinner selection gets my attention at all. If you're going for a first impression with me, make it something unusual. Something I've never seen before. Something new. .. Or just go with something I don't like.. Because, at heart, differences attract.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  15. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Now it's the "you're worst than me" type of argument? Sigh...

I said "as a whole" because I didn't want say Japanese are racist, and having some fool take it as if all Japanese were. Saying "as a whole" meant I was making a generalize statement. Which seem to have fail since I'm having an idiotic argument with you. Now that we have reach the point of name calling, I can call you a cretin?

All that thanks to your contribution. Your effort in derailing the thread is appreciated. And don't waste your time PMing me, if you're too ashamed to post something for others to see, just don't waste your time posting it.

16. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    PMing in a bit.

17. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    No don't.

18. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    I want though:D.
    I did say that if you wanted responses I'd PM you. And seeing that you asked me whether you should call me a cretin, it would be rude for me not to answer lol.

19. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    You can answer here, if not, then just let it go. But if you absolutely want to keep going, just do it in the open. You're starting to get personal so I won't read your mail.

20. Jaded

Reading List:
    Link
    What? I'm getting personal? Did you even read my mail?

I don't mind posting here, but if the mods get mad, I'm blaming you lol.(yeah, now I'm being a kid here I guess)