Babel Realm and is it really what it claims to be?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by PercherTM, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PercherTM

PercherTM Go go power ranger!

Reading List:
    Link
    So babel realm, a new translating website and it looks like its a pretty huge one at that, spamming releases like nobodies business. The novels seem to mimic each other and it appears that on their website several works have thousands of chapters!
    Too good to be true right? well the catch is. Its all machine translated.
    I should get to the point? Ofcourse lets see.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/ultimate-master-of-martial-arts/ (even the bloody synopsis is MTLed)

heres a milder example, chapter 1, first few paras of 'Returning after 10,000 years cultivation' (yes the title appears MTLed too, or the english sucks in which case i apologize)
    'My father was caught in jail for a crime and committed suicide with hatred
    Originally, Grandpa Zhong couldn't stand the excitement and died'
    so basically having your son die makes you so excited you just explode! yes its a joyful thing having your flesh and blood die in such a hateful manner. Ofcourse 'originally'
    Same chap a few lines later
    'My mother got into a car accident on the highway and was hit by a truck while she was still alive. She was suspected of murder'
    Who's murder? did she off herself? wdym while she was still alive? did the truck-kun eat her alive?

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/super-dragon-slaughtering-system/ (chapter 4 onwards)
    Please give it a read, the page says its translated upto chapter 12 but heres the catch, it isnt. Starting from like chapter 5 the quality drops significantly, you can literally see the machine translation unless 'cuttlefish' is an actual way to refer to someone. (no its not a nickname, ill quote "return my cuttlefish to me" cuttlefish here being a girl the villian kidnapped)
    So its clearly machine translated from that point on, so is it valid to machine translate something and pass it off as a proper translation so other people no longer retain interest in truly translating (or reading it cause of the quality) it?

Babel seems to be to just be a paid comrademao.com
    What i wanna ask everyone here since i dont really actively participate in the community, is it really alright to pass machine translation as the real deal? I mean we all know how to click on auto translate. Is it really appropriate to literally spam the website with 'translations' when you just copy paste what google did for you?

Is it really alright to claim you are 'translating' a work, laying claim to it so other translators are dissuaded from actually working on it?
    (did i mention you can actually pay to read google translated works! yay! spending my money on normally free and easier to access features!)

SUMMARY TO ALL THOSE WHO DONT CARE TO READ: Basically, is it ok to machine translate something and claim it as a legit work and then to add it to this site. (making money off google translate and well literally making actual translators not wanna work on it cause apparently its already picked up) @babel realm.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    AMissingLinguist likes this.
  2. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp let me get my pitchfork and torch I think it’s time for a good old fashioned lynch mob

3. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's straight up a mtl without changing anything then you can report it to the staff through report button found on your NU's profile page

AMissingLinguist and Sabruness like this.
  4. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    If they don't advertise themselves as MTL and you find them on NU, report them.

5. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the criteria for NU is that it has to be edited MTL. so the question is: is it edited MTL or straight MTL?

pcheshire and AMissingLinguist like this.
  6. Donuts

Donuts Endless surge of emotions

Reading List:
    Link
    The name is cringe af

7. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    their translations are fucking ass for some but the most popular novels are actually quite readable, Against the gods in particular. Then again i reread the translations when they catch up anyway so meh.

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Babel Realm is most certainly not "new". They've been around for over a year, at least. Many of their oldest translations are simply no longer available for one reason or another. They've frequently lost them for various reasons.

Yes, they MTL on a large scale. Novel Updates does not accept their unedited machine translations, and any you see linked here have been edited. Beyond those linked here, they offer further chapters MTL'd for the impatient. I do not believe their unedited MTL is a comparable alternative to LNMTL, but they may have some novels LNMTL does not offer.

If you find any chapters from them linked on Novel Updates that you do not believe have been edited (and this means you have compared them to the results of machine translation software and found a match, not that you believe the quality is poor), then please report those chapters. It's always possible we missed something.

I did not realize they were actually selling access to their pure MTL chapters; that's hilarious.

pcheshire, Wujigege, mir and 13 others like this.
  9. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are edited but not that great ones, from personal experience. They are better than LNMTL by a long shot though.

10. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, this is a rebrand. Babel Realm's a pure MTL site which was formerly known as Babel Novel/Babel Chain. The reason popular novels are 'better' is because they bootlegged a lot of the terms and stuff from licensed translations like Wuxiaworld's ATG. The reason the others are even worse is because they have to do it all themselves, and they don't have that ability. They are essentially a slightly improved lnmtl, in that their algorithm is better but they mainly rely on users (hopefully) fixing stuff for them and building up their library.

mir, Westeller, a101011 and 3 others like this.
  11. a101011

a101011 [Hero Martial Porcupine]

Reading List:
    Link
    Good thing I searched before posting a new forum post, was about to ask why Limitless Sword God isn't updated all that much when it's listed as completed on the site. Reading the replies here answered that question.

12. PercherTM

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is, ill use an example,
    The first novel i mentioned has a MTLed synopsis i dont think i need to read this one to explain it.
    the 2nd novel, they straight up MTLed from chapter one. its nearly unreadable and it only gets worse.
    the 3rd novel its full on MTL from chapter 4 onwards. they claim to have fully translated upto chapter 12. try reading it and see

13. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I have just personally compared their translation of 'Super Dragon Slaughtering System' to the results of Google, Bing, Baidu, Iciba, Tencent QQ, Systran and Yandex. It was wildly different. At a glance, it's a terrible translation, and I'll be the first to agree with you on that. Unfortunately, it does not match the results of direct machine translation, and does appear to have been edited, however poorly.

Novel Updates does not accept or link to the results of direct, unedited machine translation. We do, however, accept edited machine translation and make no effort to judge the quality of that editing. Novel Updates is, ultimately, just here to keep track of all the disparate translation projects going on, and will not arbitrarily exclude them based on their quality.

Which is good, because some of the most popular translations being tracked on the site are of objectively poor quality. Of a standard that I, personally, would reject given free reign to do so. That is not, at all, in the interests of the people who enjoy reading these novels.

Of course, if you can prove these translations have not been edited, we'll be more than happy to remove them on the spot.

mir, Sabruness and kenar like this.
  14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm there one old thread about site announcement I think it was babel rain and it mark about that site is mtl
    please wait a moment

oh that another
    as as nuffies lover mod stated babel not new one

Wujigege likes this.
  15. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FYI, they use their own in-house MTL system.

Westeller likes this.
  16. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    @Westeller

babel.png

Like @rwxwuxiaworld said Babel use their in house mtl system. It make words flow smoother but still have hiccups like above picture.

Westeller likes this.
  17. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I'm quite sure they do. To the best of my knowledge, they also have people proofread their chapters prior to submitting them to Novel Updates, however ineptly. ... When they first started translating over a year ago, they publicly split their translations between those they MTL'd and those they had actual translators working on - individual MTL'ers or otherwise. We only accepted the latter. Over time, they've made many transitions. Their platform, methodology, and even their name, have undergone multiple revisions. Each time, we've had to adjust how we handle their releases accordingly - even rejecting them wholesale at one point. Our last understanding with them, as I recall, was that they would only submit chapters that had been edited.

Now, again, if someone can prove they are submitting unedited chapters, we would be more than happy to remove them.

Additionally, a glance at their forums tells me they're also trying to further crowdsource and systemize proofreading at the moment, so I strongly suspect any such proof would be overturned by their next iteration.

As above. I'm afraid a few term mismatches doesn't prove much other than incompetence.

readerz likes this.
  18. PercherTM

Reading List:
    Link
    they have fans proof read their work. its like comrademao. just paid

readerz likes this.
  19. AcasualPawn__

AcasualPawn__ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Comrademao is pure MTL site, they don't proofread anything.

20. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC they have BOTH MTL and edited MTL on their site

iirc the very first time something is posted there, it's a very crappy edited mtl, like tapread

and then their users can put a "bounty" on the novel to get other users to edit it and earn points or money

i also recall that they've also tried to get actual people to work on their chapters by paying them money like you've said

so we have some novels that are actually very readable and more or less as good as HTL, but some are just as bad as tapread's

iirc, they were also called babelchain too for a time and they paid out crypto to people who edited a complete chapter

also like he said above, the novels i've seen on NUS that babel(Whatever) submitted are not pure MTL

if you go to their site, you'll see so many more novels that are pure mtl that are not submitted to NU

it's just like how several novels that used to be on WW are obviously badly edited mtl and we also still have some crappy mtl on qidian right now but neither of these sites are being prevented from posting their edited mtl onto NU

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    kenar and Westeller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.