Bad Ram?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by FallenLife, Sep 22, 2017.

1. FallenLife

FallenLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently bought 1 stick of ddr3 4gb mushkin ram, when I installed it the computer would start power cycling over and over till I shut off the power from the psu.
    It has 4GB of cheapo ram atm and was working fine till I installed the new ram.
    Is this a bad stick of ram?
    My pc is working again after I removed the new ram.
    I have,
    Cpu: pentium g630
    Mobo: Gigabyte-H61M-S2H
    Windows 7 64bit

2. schmidtcooper

schmidtcooper Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read what your motherboard's manual has to say about adding RAM and what is compatible and how to arrange it (slots).
    Generally speaking it isn't a good idea to mix new and old RAM. Sometimes a motherboard can make it all operate at the specifications of lowest performing module (or sometimes lower than that even), but then you are wasting money on the purchase of the higher performing memory.

Also try adding the new ram to slot A1 and the old to C1

3. DyingLegendZ

DyingLegendZ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    check what kind of ram is comparable with your cpu and see if your ram is the same

4. burningphoenix

burningphoenix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To check if it's the ram, replace the old stick by the new one. (it could be a faulty ram slot on the motherboard) You can also use memtest86 to test your ram as long as you can boot.

5. schmidtcooper

schmidtcooper Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might want to check the bios settings as well, it might not play well with your ram speeds

6. FallenLife

Reading List:
    Link
    Well my motherboard is a micro ATX so there is only 2 ram slots on it, and I check Intel's site and the type is right(also just searched the ram by the code and it matches with the type the cpu can handle).
    I'll try placing the old stick where the new one was. I read online that mixing ram is generally fine as long as they match what the mobo and cpu support. So my current guess is either a bad stick of ram or a faulty slot.

7. JerryHatrick

JerryHatrick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thought you were talking about Genius Doctor Black Belly Miss for a moment. Just read the early 500 chapters. Damn cute sheep.

8. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    if you test it with just the new stick and it keeps rebooting then:

set bios settings to default (copy or take pics of the settings before resetting bios)

if after resetting bios settings it keeps the same behavior, then ask for warranty, probably faulty stick.

9. Midnight Rain

Midnight Rain The 5th is around~

Reading List:
    Link
    Is both of your ram having the same mhz? Have you tried using the new ram only?

10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Try taking out the old ram and putting in only the new one.

If that works, see if there is any bios upgrades for your motherboard.

IS the new ram you bought 1066mhz?

11. FallenLife

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the new ram is 1333mhz so I tried with just the new ram in the slot where the old one was, and still power cycled.

Even if the ram were different it should've went down to 1066mhz if it worked as the other one is 1066mhz.

I'm not getting bsod it's just power cycling with the new ram by itself or paired with the old. It's still fine when I have just the old stick and I tired testing the old stick on the other slot too so both ram slots are working.

12. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad RAM can manifest in a lot of ways. Boot looping or not getting through POST are both symptoms of bad RAM. I'd advise you to run your computer only with the bad stick and use something like https://www.memtest86.com/ to test the RAM. It boots from a USB stick, so as long as you can get through POST, you can test it with that.

MrSplashy likes this.