Discussion Beatrice - artist and translation

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hannah_GG, Jul 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannah_GG

Hannah_GG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The artist post something on twitter (@nene_cierra). About the upper cover of "please don't share our translations", You guys should check it out. I translated it to english using yandex and damn the artist is angry.

bochucha likes this.
  2. Eshild Barder

Eshild Barder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really can't understand why the artists get angry with traslations. I am seriously asking if someone knows why. They are not stealing them a sell because people who read translations can't even buy the original because they don't understand korean or directly are unable to buy their work from their countries. They are not losing any money at all, at contrary, if anything they can make more money at the long run because if some editorial sees that there's enough interest in light novels/mangwas they can end up officialy translating their work and giving them royalties. Maybe I am missing something here because I am fairly new in the mangwa/light novel world, but I am really confused of why some authors get so mad.

3. Uncopyright

Uncopyright Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhmm.... This is only my insight but the author/artist treat their work/masterpiece as their child. If your child was being exploited, you as the parent will also be angry. As an author, you spend most of the time perfecting your skills and giving it all while shedding tears, sweats, blood and other body fluids you can think of... so you hope that while other appreciates your effort, they can compensate you for all the hardwork you've done. But then you will find out that without your permission someone translated it and distributed it for free for the masses, what will you feel? It may promote your masterpiece but the income that will generate will lessen because someone provided it for free. The masterpiece you worked hard for did not even help you elevate your financial circumstances that can support you to do more amazing piece of art or writings, worst it was exploited and turn to different language without your knowledge. Even if you think on the long run, how can you be sure that those who have read the webtoon/manga/manhwa/manhua/novels from the MTL or fan translated sites will support the legal translations after? So I think they are playing safe and avoid the risk of losing some future income.
    And that is the end of my perspective, if I was in their shoes.

But I, as a reader, was very grateful for those who translated the artist's/writer's piece of work to an understandable language for free with them having the risk of being sent C&D letters from the author/artists themselves, even if the translator themselves do the work for free or just a hobby. It's just if we were able to do so, we should support the original. That is why fan translated versions should be hidden very well from the social medias to avoid getting caught.

Ps. I know the 1st and 2nd paragraph rant is so contradictory, moreover I sounded so hypocritical but oh well do forgive these are only my reflections if I were in their shoes.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. Hannah_GG

Reading List:
    Link
    They're almost caught though. The artist still didn't know that it was being translated, I think? :blobsweat: I think it's already a warning.

QuinSeren and Uncopyright like this.
  5. aoko

aoko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    where? i can’t see anything knew on her page!

6. Hannah_GG

Reading List:
    Link
    The artist already delete the tweet on her 2nd account. I know the translators are already aware of this.

7. Uncopyright

Uncopyright Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope that it will not be the same with The Archmage's Daughter wherein they decided to stop translating the webtoon.
    My only wishful thinking in regards to this is that there'll be no reader who uploads it on IG or any social media accounts just to have many followers. :sushi_peak:

Hannah_GG likes this.
  8. Hannah_GG

Reading List:
    Link
    I think someone SS it and send to the artist. I saw that someone already ss the posts on facebook and send to the artist about the language translators before she delete her tweet.

Uncopyright likes this.
  9. aoko

aoko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So is it alright to continue translating/sharing spoilers here? I WAS SO HAPPY TO BE ABLE TO READ THE TRANSLATION OF THE NOVEL BY @Xiochtl ! PLEASE DONT LET THIS HAPPINESS END HERE!:cry::blob_teary:

10. Marta Tan

Marta Tan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I hope @Xiochtl will be okay translating this for us. Don’t get into trouble! :blobexpressionless:

11. MoonJ

MoonJ New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stumbled upon a post today in one of the manga groups I joined on FB. Apparently someone reported the English and Spanish translated scans to the Beatrice author on Twitter hence the author's anger :blobawkward:
    The scanlated teams are apparently in hiding. I wonder if it means we won't get any translations for Season 2 anymore :(

12. Hypothon

Hypothon Semi-known disqus/NUF smut/shoujo commenter.

Reading List:
    Link
    My question for this though, was the report about straight from the source (Discord group and MDex) or because of some moron illegally sharing it to social media? If its the former, we honestly can't do much more to it at this point since the one who reported it might be an actual self righteous type, if its the latter, then its the usual morons who just don't listen over and over NOT to share it on social media and just keep doing it for their brief moment of attention at the cost of us considerate fans who are poor enough to afford expensive material

Uncopyright and simmi888 like this.
  13. simmi888

simmi888 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't think the scanlations will stop. They might be slower for sure, but they won't stop. There are many sources of scanlations, so stopping them altogether seems rather unrealistic to me. I think it's important that people understand that stopping these fan-based translations will only hurt the author's work in the long run because its due to these scanlations that people from different parts of the world get to know of their work and become invested in their projects. At the end of the day the translations or the scanlations cater to an audience not based in the region where the author works and sells her works, so translations will not impact the business side of her work, as anyway people like me from South Asia don't have access to her original work either because of the unpopularity of Korean novels or the language barrier. I think this is a very negative culture. I do understand that someone has worked so hard on their project, especially something like Beatrice, but this negative culture of monetarily guarding one's work to the point of discouraging budding fans around the globe is counter-productive for the author's projects and popularity. It is off-putting to be quite blunt. Unlike mangas like Naruto with widespread global acclaim and easily available marketable English translations by Shonen Jump, light novels like Beatrice neither have that kind of fan base nor the market. These are just my personal opinions, it was not my intention to cause someone distress if that's what this post has caused.

Eshild Barder likes this.
  14. simmi888

simmi888 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    of
    ofcourse it will be okay to discuss the spoilers because this is a discussion page. Like other novels like Harry Potter, where they have reddit pages to discuss the plot and spoilers, this page is quite similar. Once published, the author can't stop fans or people from either discussing or debating about their works.

louka aya likes this.
  15. I cant stop reading

I cant stop reading Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok I have some questions. The thing is, that I also translate chapters from the “manhwa” and share them on Instagram, (google translated). I don’t do it for followers or anything, but there are not (or there *were not*) many people who translate(translated) them. The other thing is that a lot of people (like me) aren’t able to buy the novel. In this case it doesn’t matter if I post translations, because there isn’t even an official page to support her through buying the chapters. I also translate Manhwas/ Manhuas which are underrated and back then Beatrice was one of them. So what do you think about it ? Is it fine that I translate them or not? And if not - are there any ways to support the author ? [Sorry for my bad english]

louka aya likes this.
  16. 821121

821121 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made an account so I could respond to this. To answer your first point: No. Technically, you cannot translate a paid work for free for anyone. It is not “freedom of expression” it’s essentially copyright infringement, plagiarism (if you now want to say this story is technically “your” work because you’re translating it) and piracy (basically copyright infringement because the work is a paid work, that you are now distributing for free). The author did not ask you nor provide you permission to do so, so no technically, no one (except the author, their publishers etc) have any rights to translate anything.

To your next point, the example you gave for Harry Potter, is (as what you say) a fan made work. Say for example, you upload the actual Harry Potter movie onto YouTube. Then yes, you better believe Warner Brothers will strike the video down and user for copyright, which is essentially what these scanlations/translation groups are doing, uploading the whole actual Harry Potter movie. If you made a fan video or other fan related content like an AMV (or the Syltherin movie), then no, they won’t strike you for copyright because it’s as you say, fan made work. Now what about clips or spoilers or fan images/images from manhwas/excerpts from novels? Now that would be somewhat harmless and somewhat acceptable, because again, it's not like you're out here uploading the whole chapter/novel/etc.

I get that you want to read her work, you want to support her. But if you really think about it, are you really supporting her or are you just trying to justify your own illegal actions?

As it stands, I think a lot of people just need to understand this: All of us who are here and are out here reading scanslations/translations like none of us are in the right. There’s just no way to justify what we’re doing. You make it sound like the author should be grateful that people are illegally translating and distributing her work. This is simply absurd. These authors didn’t ask and don’t need you to do so, because their target audience is/was/still, not you. Instead of making reasons/excuses as to why we should have the “rights” to illegally distribute and translate their works, we should just be quiet and grateful, and enjoy the fact that a lot of these groups aren't caught or have been sent cease and desist letters. In this particular instance (the author of Beatrice) yes, she has sent out court ordered documents to a lot of these translator groups to cease and desist illegal distribution. Mods, please feel free to remove my comment later as I know this was off topic and nothing to do with the Beatrice spoilers. Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    fumaHD, Helistir, Rumby and 13 others like this.
  17. MoonJ

MoonJ New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No it wasn't directly from the source but rather the person on Twitter took screenshots of the manhwa that was posted on Facebook and tagged the author's 2nd twitter account.

18. Hypothon

Hypothon Semi-known disqus/NUF smut/shoujo commenter.

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for clarifying but then I guess, its leaning to point #2. Social media post mostly at fault for being caught, but again, I'm still confused? Who got the author's fury in the end? You mentioned the scanlators? Which english/spanish scanlators? The ones who post at Dex? Did they receive the C&D order?

19. bruh123

bruh123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Completely agree with 821121...like in short, please take your negativity elsewhere & stop trying to ruin a good thing if it is not specifically about Beatrice because this is what this thread is about. I'm sure there's another thread on this site for complaints, concerns, debates, etc. etc.

20. Kappy

Kappy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I agree with 821121. We should just be quiet about the artist getting mad because, yes, we are the wrong side here. It's her WORK, not just entertainment.

Fulminata likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.