Discussion Being an Orphan

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PinoyReader, Nov 17, 2019.

1. PinoyReader

PinoyReader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw this anime movie "In This Corner of The World" and in the last part there was an orphaned girl struggling in the ruins after her mother passed away. How do you think the orphans survive in real life? It must have been really devastating having no one to depend on when they are still young. This really made me cry and left a mark of grief

lychee and Deleted member 155674 like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminded me of 'Grave of the Fireflies' movie :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:

Silv3r2117 and pkhyber like this.
  3. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    It was a horrible thing to happen.
    But if you want to know more about the bombing of Hiroshima from the perspective of its victims, read Hiroshima by John Hersey.

ongoingwhy likes this.
  4. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is worse than grave of fire flies scene.
    At least they were not injured (although were sick)

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  5. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops, can of worms opened.

Orphans survive like they always have. Scrape for food, beg, find a backer or at times don't survive. It's the story of human civilization, there will always be suffering like that. Even in 1st World countries you get orphans.

I won't be too sympathetic to the Japanese as a people though, at that time, they were the ISIS of the world, religious racists that worship their Emperor as a God and their mindset caused a lot more deliberate disasters than what happened to them.

To change their racist fanatical mindset, they needed to lose the war or they would continue to be a blight in the region. It was only post war did they become more liberal and open minded. Relatively. They're still mildly racist though but not as bad as the past.

kenar and Ursula like this.
  6. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, the classic ugly side of the war

Is true peace just an illusion?

Ursula likes this.
  7. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    No, the American government dropped the bombs to test them. Everything else was just an excuse.

8. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    People can have their own opinions about this. As for me personally, I really don't have a lot of sympathies. Was it messed up? Sure. But the Japs were a fucking nightmare back then. No matter how much damage and innocent life was destroyed by the nukes, Japan easily was the cause of double or even triple that travesty. Read up on the amount of rape, child butchering, and slaughter to innocent people JUST from attacking China.

Bitch about it all you want, it ended the war and stopped even more senseless deaths in the process.

9. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Each time i see some post like this, i always think of one word :
    "hypocrite"

ongoingwhy likes this.
  10. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_war_crimes#World_War_II

War crimes were committed by both sides. These are just those that were reported. Who knows how much more were covered up. History is always written by the winners, after all.

11. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they didn't drop the bombs to test their lethality, they had already done so at the trinity site.
    The use of nuclear weapons was two-fold.
    1. To deter the Russians by the displaying of American military might, during the eve of a new world order.

2. And, using it would enable them an option other than a full scale invasion of mainland Japan, which would have cost an astronomical amount of casualties on both sides. The invasion would have been many times worse than the battle for Okinawa. It was then decided to dromp the bomb on Hroshima and Nagasaki in order to swiftly end the war. It wasn't because they had wanted to test it.

Everyone was racist at the time. And yes, the Japanese commited extravegently horrendous operations and acts of cruelty to which they still won't fully aknolowegde. But the populace, though devout to their emperor weren't the cause. It was the warmongering military and emperor that is to blame.

Not against the Americans. The japanese war crimes on China has a left a wound that till this day hasn't been mended. Though i doubt the Chinese would wish for that wound to be mended. Americans also commited horrendous actions on the Japanese. Americans were worse to the japanese in their bombing raids, than they were to the Germans. Both sides took a vast amount of civilian lives. But imo Japan was worse.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    kenar and ongoingwhy like this.
  12. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on circumstances and opportunity - death, drugs, prostitution, organized crime, orphanage/ foster homes, adoption, military. If you're interested, you can read up on orphans in war zones, in specific countries, reddit stories, etc. Human suffering is endless.

lychee likes this.
  13. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    Your point? I simply said it ended the war. You are free to believe what you want but it doesn't change THAT FACT. As for war crimes, I'm not defending them, they should be held accountable. But it's war. As generic an argument that is, that's the case. It ALWAYS brings out the worst in humanity.

kenar likes this.
  14. Bitty Kitty

Bitty Kitty Innocence ~ Purity ~ Hint of Soap!

Reading List:
    Link
    Bitty Kitty wishes everyone could be happy.

Bitty Kitty wishes all the bad people could live in one place.

Bitty Kitty would then avoid that place.

Bitty Kitty continues to chase a dandelion wish off this post.

lychee likes this.
  15. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    And? My point had nothing do with if they did the same things to Americans. I simply said they were a fucking nightmare back then, and it's the truth. Pearl Harbor IMO just showed how much of a coward and insane the Japs were. The Americans were worse to them because we just got sneak attacked and they were in jungles and densely covered areas. Germany was a massive well-developed country already. It was very easy to pick locations to bomb. Plus they were already over there and had the resources to plan accordingly. Japan they didn't.

I'm not saying we better, we just weren't worse... That's what war is.

16. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "War Crimes" is an interesting term. It's as if supposedly rational people want to make a claim that war itself wasn't a crime.

kenar and ongoingwhy like this.
  17. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, to the Japanese the Americans were a nightmare aswell. Pearl Harbor happened because the Americans cut Japan its access to Oil which was needed to further their imperialistic agenda. They expanded into the pacific as result. They didn't do it because they were cowards, it had become an impposibility for them to not act. I am not sure i follow on what you mean by jungle and densely covered areas. But if i understood your point currently then no, i am not talking about bombing forests, i am talking about the massive bombing raids that occured post-midway. And just to get this out, i am in no way defending Japan. It was shitty country back then, with lofty imperialistic ambitions that would have soaked all of Asia in the blood of innocents. The actions of the Japanese militrary command and the Emperor are inexcusable, and its sad that the Americans ignored their crimes after the war.

18. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    Battle of Okinawa not Osaka. Osaka is a city in the middle of Japan while Okinawa is that island to the south of Japan

19. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    My point is war crimes committed by soldiers shouldn't be used to justify the killing of civilians.

By the way, if this is enough justification for dropping the bombs... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States

20. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    It has now been corrected, thanks!