Novel Being the God of Hell is a bother. [0-7]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by valethehowl, Nov 20, 2017.

1. valethehowl

valethehowl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Synopsis: A group of humans dies on a plane crash, and they are away from the cycle of reincarnation taken to be the gods of a fantasy world. One of these humans, the main character, protest that the people of this new world should be given the chance to find their path themself, without immortals being ruling over them. The Highest One, the God that took them from their world, after asking him if he has that much faith in people's goodness, then put him in charge of the Hell of that world as a way to test that faith...

Genre: Isekai, Drama, Humour, Comedy, Slice of Life

Influences: Wakfu, Dungeons and Dragons, Deepgate Codex

I will be posting this story on Royal Road.

Table of Content
    Chapter 0
    Chapter 1
    Chapter 2
    Chapter 3
    Chapter 4
    Chapter 5
    Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    VannVann, Fares and Master like this.
  2. valethehowl

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 0

Rebirth of the Gods

What was supposed to be a simple flight between Germany and Japan turned much worse.

Screams were echoing through the plane, barely surpassing the noise of the air as the wind as they were crashing to the ground.

Strangely enough, Viktor didn't feel scared. He didn't feel anything. Maybe it was the shock of it all, but all he was able to feel was a great clarity as he was looking at the scene around him, every little detail branded forever in his memory. The yellow hair of the boy in front of him, the dying lights of the plane, the noise of the burning engines... everything was crystal clear.

Everyone was reacting differently. Most people were screaming their lungs out, some were passed out, others kept still in their seats, either silent or muttering some prayers.

[Should I pray too?](Viktor)

Certainly that couldn't hurt. Running wild, screaming or waving his harm would not help him survive. Staying still at his seat, curled up, while keeping his head in his arms may have increased his chances of survival by some single digit percentage, but there wasn't much else he could do.

He started reciting some buddhist prayer, the ones he used to be reciting twice per day, but strangely enough that wasn't really helping. Words came from his mouth, but they refused to leave it, as if his tongue was paralized. He noticed that his arms were trembling too, as the wind noise was increasing.

[Maybe I'm not as calm as I thought I was...](Viktor)

That was his last thought, before a huge explosion blew away his consciousness.

[WAKE UP CHILD](God)

Viktor opened his eyes. All he could see was white.

[What happened? Am I alive? Am I dead? Or... am I in a coma?] (Viktor)

Viktor tried moving his limbs. They moved without problems. He was able to feel everything. But before his eyes, all he could see was still a soffuse white light.

[Well... I guess I am alive?] (Viktor)

[I AM AFRAID NOT. NOW GET UP.] (God)

As if his body was a puppet controlled by those words, Viktor immediately got up, his muscles before he could realize it.

Around him there was still that unmoving sea of white light, but other figures were around him.
    Viktor recognized them immediately: they were the other passengers of the plane: the little girl with the pigtails, the young man with dark hairs and the slanted eyes, the bald old guy... they were all here.
    He could count about twenty people, most of them younger than he was.

[LISTEN TO ME CHILDREN. I AM GOD. YOU LOST YOUR LIFE IN THE PLANE CRASH IN YOUR WORLD, AND NOW YOUR SOULS STAND BEFORE ME.] (God)

God? Was this thing for real? Viktor could still feel his body though... was this normal for a soul? Unless he was in a coma and this was all an hallucination...

[THIS IS REAL. IT'S NOT AN HALLUCINATION. YOU ARE DEAD, AND YOUR SOULS ARE TO GO THROUGH ANOTHER CYCLE OF REINCARNATION. NONE OF YOU WERE WORTHY ENOUGH TO REACH ENLIGHTENMENT AND GO BEYOND THE CYCLE, NOR WERE ANY OF YOU CORRUPTED ENOUGH TO FALL INTO OBLIVION] (God)

Viktor was still unsure if he was hallucinating this or not, but the last statement of this “God” was positive, at least for him. It was what he had believed for all his life as a buddhist. Though he was kinda peeved that he didn't reach enlightenment... he had been a good person for most of his life, praying and trying to improve himself on a daily basis.

He was thirty years old when he got on that plane from Berlin to Tokyo, in order to make some sort of pilgrimage at the buddhist temples in the japanese capital... at least that was the official excuse, because he intended it to be mostly a vacation, visiting maid cafés, manga shops and eating in the typical ramen stands. Of course he wanted to make a stop at the shrines in order to pray, but honestly that wasn't his main motivation.

Viktor, a german man, had always been a japanophile, reading mangas, watching animes, even taking karate and aikido lessons, although he usually was quite lazy. Some may even call him an otaku, although the term wasn't really used in his country.

But mostly, he was fascinated by the culture and the spirituality of the oriental country, by the ideals of self improvement and diligency... although he himself struggled to not being lazy and maybe enjoyed the pleasures of good food and feminine company a little too much. Maybe that was the reason he hadn't be able to reach enlightenment.

Oh well, at least he now had another chance in his next life, wouldn't he?

[AT LEAST, THIS IS WHAT WOULD NORMALLY HAPPEN. BUT I HAVE INTERFERED IN THIS PROCESS, AND I HAVE TAKEN YOUR SOULS WITH ME IN THIS LIMBO] (God)

What? Why would he do such a thing!?!

[FOR YOU SEE, I AM GOD, BUT NOT THE GOD OF YOUR WORLD. MY OWN WORLD HAS JUST BEEN BORN, AND IS IN NEED OF GUIDANCE. FOR THIS PURPOSE I HAVE CHOSEN YOU, THE SOULS OF AN OLDER, MORE DEVELOPED WORLD, TO SERVE UNDER ME AS GUARDIANS OF MY CREATION. ] (God)

What was this? Viktor felt disappointment. He believed the cycle of reincarnation and the laws of karma to be absolutes, but if the first deity from another world was allowed to take whichever souls he pleased, then the whole thing was much cheaper than he thought.

What next? The Enlightenment is gonna be some sort of amusement park? Only with less crowd and more ice cream?

But it appeared he wasn't even allowed to find that out. This god had taken them to be his servants, or something.

[WORRY NOT, CHILDREN, FOR IN MY WORLD, YOU WILL BE AKIN TO GODS. YOU WILL HAVE POWERS BEYOND THOSE OF THE MORTALS, AND YOU WILL RULE OVER THEM.] (God)

That's a good offer... too good of an offer, Viktor thought. There have to be a catch.

[ALL I ASK FROM YOU IN RETURN IS TO OVERSEE YOUR SPECIFIC DOMAIN, BE IT WAR OR PEACE, LIFE OR DEATH, FIRE OR WATER, LIGHT OR DARKNESS. EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU WILL BE GIVEN THE POWER TO MAKE SURE THINGS WILL PROCEED FAST AND STEADY.] (God)

Here it is. So we will be some sort of celestial bureaucracy. Are we gonna spend the eternity surveying things, writing reports and going on divine business meetings? Is this “God” gonna be a stereotypical office boss, telling us to fix our necktie and respect the schedule?

Viktor always hated bureaucracy. An eternity as office worker would be quite like hell for him.

But as if God readed his mind (which was possible), the voice answered again.

[WORRY NOT, FOR WHEN YOU WILL TAKE PLACE AS GODS OF THAT WORLD, YOU WILL BE LEFT TO YOUR OWN DEVICES. I WILL NOT INTERFERE DIRECTLY FROM THAT POINT ONWARD, AS IT WILL BE YOUR TASK TO DO SO IN MY PLACE. ACTUALLY, YOU WON'T PROBABLY SEE ME AGAIN UNTIL THE END OF TIME. LITERALLY. SO YOU WILL BE FREE TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. GOOD OR EVIL, WORKING HARD OR LAZING AWAY... YOU ALONE WILL DECIDE. JUST REMIND THAT WITH YOUR POWERS, ANY DECISION YOU'LL MAKE WILL HAVE HUGE RIPERCUSSIONS, AND THAT EVEN DOING NOTHING AT ALL IS A DECISION.] (God)

Well, wasn't this lucky? Viktor wondered if any of this “God” words could contain any trap, but he couldn't find any.

He could spend the next eternity doing whatever he wanted, as a god among mortals, without having to worry about anything. Many people would consider this heaven.

Viktor allowed himself to think about what he could do. He could build himself an harem of beautiful women, he could defeat armies with his might as a god, and have any of his wishes immediately granted...

But why would a bunch of random people be allowed to decide the fate of thousands? Just because some “God” told them it was allright and give them power? This wasn't fair at all!

Against his better judgement, he tried to spoke his mind. He wasn't sure about how to talk, especially cause he didn't want to infuriate “God” (after all, he could cast him into the pits of hell, couldn't he?), so he just let out a soft cough, while raising his hand like a shy elementary student.

[Ehm... excuse me, mister God?] (Viktor)

Everyone else suddenly turned to him. Under this scrutiny, he felt like he wanted to bury himself in the ground, if there was a ground in all that white. Public speeches were never his forte.

[YES, MY CHILD?] (God)

[Ehm, sorry for bothering you, mr God, but... ehm... could I say something? If it doesn't bother you too much of course... if you want me to shut up, I will do so! Just...] (Viktor)

[FEAR NOT AND SPEAK YOUR MIND, CHILD. I WILL LISTEN TO WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY AND I PROMISE NOTHING BAD WILL COME TO YOU FROM YOUR WORDS] (God)

[Well, I was thinking that... maybe... you know... maybe your people don't need our guidance? I mean... people should be able to choose their own path in life, shouldn't they? And even if they need guidance, shouldn't they get someone their equal to be their leader? Someone who would life, sweat and die with them? I... I think this would be more right, shouldn't it?] (Viktor)

Suddenly, Viktor felt various hostile gazes dropping on him. Most of the other people were looking at him as if he was crazy, or worse, while muttering under their breath.

[Shut up, you idiot! Can't you see this is a once in a lifetime chance? ]

[Don't ruin this for me! I deserve it after the crap I had in life!]

[Are you crazy!?! Why would you refuse this offer? ]

All the grumbling came to an end when God spoke again. His voice was as calm as it was before, without any hint of displeasure.

[YOU ARE WRONG, CHILD. MORTALS NEED GUIDANCE. IF LEFT TO THEIR OWN, THEY WILL ONLY BRING CHAOS. YOU COME FROM AN ERA OF PROSPERITY AND ADVANCEMENT, AND THIS IS WHY I CHOOSE YOU, BUT THAT ERA WILL SURELY END, AND IN A FEW GENERATIONS YOUR WORLD WILL SURELY REGRESS TO BARBARISM. HAVING GODS FROM A MORE DEVELOPED REALITY AS ETERNAL GUARDIAN WILL MAKE MY WORLD MUCH MORE STABLE THAN EVEN YOURS.] (God)

Viktor tried to bite his tongue, to hold the urge to answer. He always loved ethical disquisitions, and he frequently had lenghty discussions with other people about those arguments.

The others kept looking at him menaciously, as if telling him “Don't you dare...”, but he really couldn't help himself.

[But with each cycle, we advance a little bit. We are more advanced now than 1000 years ago. We have values and standards that were unheard of even 100 years ago! There may still be evil and inequality, but I believe that humanity will surely learn from its mistake and improve with time!] (Viktor)

God was silent for a while. Everyone was looking at Viktor, which felt progressively more nervous.

Did I messed it up? No, I just spoke my mind... and I don't think I said things that would warrant a punishment!

Finally, God spoke.

[ARE YOU SURE OF THIS CHILD? DO YOU HOLD SUCH FAITH IN MORTALS?] (God)

Viktor paused. He stood silent for a second, but finally he answered.

[Yes. Yes I do.] (Viktor)

God was silent, from another moment. When he spoke again, his voice was still calm as always, apparently immutable, but Viktor could swear the voice contained just an echo of amusement.

[THEN, I'LL TEST YOUR FAITH. YOU SHALL BE THE GOD OF HELL OF MY WORLD, CHARGED WITH PURIFYING THE SOULS OF THE SINNERS AND ALLOWING THEM TO REINCARNATE WITHOUT ANY IMPURITY TO HOLD THEM DOWN.](God)

Red flames exploded all around Viktor. He screamed, but because of the surprise rather than pain, because for some reason the flames weren't harming him.
    He felt like he was being dragged down, sinking into a pond, only that it was scarlet fire instead of water.

The voice of God echoed one last time in his head.

[WITNESS TO THE WORST THAT MORTALS CAN DO FOR A THOUSAND YEARS, AND THEN TELL ME AGAIN IF YOU HAVE SO MUCH FAITH IN THEM!] (God)

3. 30NuffieArmy

30NuffieArmy New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, when I when the first few sentences I thought it said fight between Germany and Japan and almost thought this was an alternative history WWII story.

Interesting concept to this story. Turning the generic into something original is always a favorite of mine.

4. valethehowl

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1

The Divine Tutor

When Viktor woke up, he was found himself layd down on the floor, with something hard and pointy poking him behind his shoulders. All around him was a reddish rock plain as far as the eye could see. There were nothing on the horizon, and even the sky, of a pale greyish blue, lacked any cloud or bird. Heck, there wasn't even a sun: the light seemingly came from the sky itself.

[Ah, what the hell is this? What happened? Was that “God” thing all a dream? And what is this thing poking my shoulders!?!] (Viktor)

Viktor moved, and to his puzzlement the thing on his shoulders moved with him. It felt strangely heavy.

[What is this? Do I have something attached to my...] (Viktor)

He looked above his shoulders and immediately froze.

Two huge, black and furry bat sprouted from his back.

[WHAT THE HELL!?!] (Viktor)

He screamed, obviously shacken, and the wings moved panickly in response to his emotion, making him lose balance and fall again on the ground.

[What is this!?! Why do I have those... those “things” on my back!?! What's going on!?!] (Viktor)

He started calming down... and finally he noticed various things. The wings were not the only thing that changed about him.
    His skin was of a dark shade of red, and his hands had talons and claws instead of nails.

He touched his face, and luckily it seemed to be a human one... until he got to his forehead, that had two pointy horns attached.

[What the hell!? Why have I turned into some discount halloween devil!?!] (Viktor)

[Answer: All the new Gods of Domir have been given a physical appareance adequate to their role in the pantheon.] (???)

Viktor, surprised, turned left and right. Around him there was only the desert. But he definitely heard a voice right now!

[Who is it? Who spoke!?!] (Viktor)

[Answer: the one who spoke is myself, the Divine Tutor. ] (DT)

Viktor waited for more explanations, but they didn't come. Finally, he asked again:

[And... who are you?] (Viktor)

[Answer: I am a Divine Tutor.] (DT)

Viktor moaned. That literal answer somehow annoyed him to no end. And the emotionless tone they were given to him made him feel like he was talking to a robot.

[What do you mean with Divine Tutor? What are you exactly? Why can't I see you?] (Viktor)

[Multiple questions detected. The answers will be in chronological order. Answer number one: by Divine Tutor I mean Divine Tutor. Answer number two: I am exactly a Divine Tutor assigned to the God of Hell. Answer number three: the divine tutor is programmed to have whichever shape the God in his charge desires. As the God in my charge, you, didn't express any desire in regard of my shape, I still have to take one.] (DT)

Viktor grit his teeth in frustration. Again with those literal answers! Please, someone save me from this nightmare of a conversation!

But all around him it was a blank desert, so he had to endure it.

At least the third one was somehow useful, he thought while trying to be positive.

[So you will take the appareance of whatever I want to?] (Viktor)

[Answer: Yes, I will.] (DT)

Viktor paused for a moment, before wishing for the first thing that passed through his mind.

[Well then... take the form of a penguin, will you?] (Viktor)

[Answer: yes I will. Shape changing to suit the desire of the God of Hell.] (DT)

Immediately, a small penguin appeared in front of Viktor, floating mid air.

[Whoa! So you really take the shape of whatever I want!] (Viktor)

[Possible question detected. Answer: yes I do.] (DT)

Viktor stood still and silent for some minutes. He had a big confusion in his head, and he needed to sort it out. This Divine Tutor could maybe help him, but he needed to formulate his questions in the right way.

[Okay, I think I got it. What is a Divine Tutor? Are you here to just answer my question or do you have any other function? Also, are you... sentient or just some kind of weird magic robot illusion?] (Viktor)

[Multiple questions detected. The answers will be in chronological order. Answer number one: a Divine Tutor is an entity assigned by the Highest One to the new Gods of Domir in order to provide them with the informations they need to perform their duties. ](DT)

[Answer number two: my function help the God of Hell, you, in any way I can. If you ask for something, I will do anything within my abilities in order to fulfill your request.] (DT)

[Answer number three: unclear question. Possible answer: the Divine Tutor is an entity created by the Highest One for the sole purpose of aiding the new Gods of Domir. I am very real and I am not a robot, but there is a certain amount of magic involved in my creation.] (DT)

Viktor stayed still for a while, assimilating those informations.

[So... I am this “God of Hell” then? And this place is Domir?] (Viktor)

If this place was the “New World” that God was talking about, sure it was desolate!

[Multiple questions detected. The answers will be in chronological order. Answer number one: yes, you are the God of Hell. Answer number two: yes and no.] (DT)

[What do you mean with yes and no?] (Viktor)

[Answer: I mean yes and no.] (DT)

Viktor struggled with the impulse to punch the Tutor, then asked, in an irritated tone:

[Allright, why is this place Domir and at the same time it isn't?] (Viktor)

[Answer: this place is Hell. It function as the afterlife for sinners of Domir, and in this regard it's tied to it. But at the same time it's a different plane of existence.] (DT)

[Then I literally am in Hell right now. Splendid. So, what do we do now?] (Viktor)

[Answer: we do what we are doing.] (DT)

This time Viktor couldn't hold himself and tried to strike the floating penguin in front of him, only for his fist to pass through it.

Evidently that little bastard was immaterial.

[Sooo... can you by any chance become physical? Because I'd really need something to punch right now!] (Viktor)

[Answer: No. Divine Tutors cannot become physical, as we are merely a collection of data. Possible question/need detected: everything else is here to be punched by you if that helps you.] (DT)

Even though the voice of the tutor was as emotionless as ever, he couldn't help but think that it was sounding condescending.

[Thank you very much. I guess I can punch the air or the ground then!] (Viktor)

The bitterness and irony were thick in Viktor's voice. It had been a very bad day for him, and this little mass of literal mindedness was not helping him. In fact, it was giving him a migraine.

He decided to just lay down and think for a while. Unluckily for him, the wings kept getting in the way: first of all they were really big, and second he kept reflexively on moving them.

[Dammit! Is there a way to get these wings out of the way!?!] (Viktor)

[Answer: Yes, there is.] (DT)

Viktor stared at the penguin. He thought of the right way to formulate the question in order to avoid other doses of that spirit breaking literal responses, then asked:

[How do I remove these wings in a way that won't cause me any discomfort, like ripping them away? Explain it to me in detail, and also tell me if it should involve anything that may be negative for me.] (Viktor)

[Answer: all the new Gods of Domir have been given the ability to shapeshift to a certain extent. In order to do so, you just have to concentrate on the appareance you want to have with the desire to turn into it. In order to remove the wings, you just have to concentrate on your present shape minus the wings.] (DT)

[Oh, that's... convenient I guess. Well, I'll give it a try.] (Viktor)

Viktor tried concentrating on his appareance... but he couldn't really do it. For starters, he didn't really knew how he looked like right now, and he was too shaken to think hard about his old appareance.

[Uhm... isn't there like, a mirror here somewhere?] (Viktor)

[Answer: No. Presently, this dimension (Hell) does not hold anything except us.] (DT)

[Marvellous. Wait... can you turn into a mirror?] (Viktor)

[Answer: Yes I can.] (DT)

[Then do so.] (Viktor)

The penguin turned into a big mirror (strangely enough, a mirror just like the one Viktor was thinking about), big enough to allow him to check his whole image.

He had changed a lot, but at the same time it was still him. More like, a devil version of himself. His face was about the same, except far the fact that it was crimson red: he was still sharp faced, with a big nose and lazy eyes (which were yellow now), but now he sported a mephistophelic beard and his ears were sharp too. Also, two pointy horns sprouted from his forehead.

His body however was much more fit, not that he was “totally” out of shape before, but now he was ripped: since he was wearing only a pair of yellow pants, he could see his naked torso. While thin, his muscles were greatly toned and he had six packs like he never hoped to have.

All in all, apart from looking like a halloween costume, he wasn't too dissatisfied with his appareance... except that the wings were far too cumbersome.

He tried to focus, imagining himself without wings. He closed his eyes, concentrating on this task... and suddenly his back felt much lighter.
    When he looked in the mirror again, the wings had disappeared.

[Not bad! Not bad at all! With those out of the way, I can move way better! And if I can take any shape I want, maybe I could try taking the appareance of a sexy girl... ugh!](Viktor)

He couldn't finish his thought that the wings sprouted from his back like springs, making him fall again.

[Goddammit! What is this!?! Why did they grow back!?!] (Viktor)

[Answer: the Gods of Domir have to keep concentration on their shapeshift, otherwise they go back to their original appareace.] (DT)

[Fan-freaking-tastic! I had ONE good thing today and as it turns out it sucks too! How can I keep my concentration on the shape all the time, or while sleeping?] (Viktor)

[Answer: with enough practice you should be able to do that. Also, Gods do not require sleep.] (DT)

[But I like sleeping! Does that mean I won't be able to sleep again!?!] (Viktor)

[Answer: no, you can still sleep if you want. You just don't require it anymore.] (DT)

Viktor again absorbed that information. He stood silent again, sitting on the rocky plain, as if he was meditating.

[You know what? If this was a game, I wouldn't like it. But then again, I don't know the rules. So I think it's time for some study!] (Viktor)

[Hey Tutor! Tell me everything about the powers I have been given as God of Hell or whatever. Also, tell me anything I may need to know about this place. ] (Viktor)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    VannVann and Fares like this.
  5. VannVann

VannVann [Drained] 《Worn Out》 GM

Reading List:
    Link
    I was simply on the main NU page and I saw an interesting title on threads board... And I have to admit I enjoyed reading this. (I hope that the mc will get black Angel wings, pale skin and blue flames around him cuz that's how I imagined him before the description oh and the back of his eyes are black which only makes his golden eyes more enchanting.. oh sorry about the rant ^^) I already can't wait for more. For now I shall return to this page in 30 min or so to see if there is some new stuff.. Keep on the good work!!

6. Belgarion_V

Belgarion_V 『The Supreme Chuuni』『Explosion Loli』

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems good so far Hopes for status tables because LitRPG

7. Fik

Fik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    suggestion.
    make some web for yourself (WordPress will do) or follow existing web to make easier for reader to find this novel

8. valethehowl

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad you like it! For the black and golden eyes, I think that's perfectly possible!
    But the black angel wings, pale skin and blue flames are for another god of this setting!

Working on it!

9. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    While I have a few issues with the TOAA god and MC's faith for humanity

This is good, as in feels hella good so far

10. VannVann

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool the other parts are for the Death God ya? vet the red skin is too much like low lv demon so I can't dig it. So let me add Ann upgrade: ankle (or knee) long silky flowing black hair, no beard cuz again low lv demon instead a beautiful face (cuz God ) and on the right side of the head a single long black horn with a little waves shape.. Again thank you ^^

11. Fares

Fares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow...
    You really did a good job with the plot and comedy so far but try to not push yourself and take your time keep up the good work.
    Btw dose Viktor have a tail?... (i kinda imagine him like the devil from adventures of god manga with scraped wings)

12. valethehowl

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2

Absolute Ruler of Hell

After a long and tiresome conversation, Viktor, who just couldn't take any more of the Divine Tutor voice, just asked it to take the appareance of a book, with all info about his powers detailed on it.
    Reading it was much easier than listening to the emotionless, annoying voice of the Tutor, so Viktor was able to get much more informations.

[Name: Nemesis

Job: God of Hell

Equipment and treasure: None

Divinity Points: 1000

Powers: Master of Corruption, Absolute Rule of Hell, Avatar Body, Divine Magical Senses, Divine Aura (Hell), Divine Magic Power, Divine Creation, Elemental Affinity (Fire, Ice). ]

[Why is there written “Nemesis” as name? My name is Viktor!] (Viktor)

[Answer: Nemesis is the name you have been given by the Highest One. As such, it takes the place of your old mortal name.] (DT)

[Oh for the love of go... no wait, not for his love. He's a jerk. If I say my name is Viktor then my name is Viktor!] (Viktor)

[Statement incorrect. The Highest One has the highest authority. If he says your name is Nemesis, then you shall be known as such.] (DT)

[What if I order you to change how it's written? You have to help me right?] (Viktor)

[ERROR: The request cannot be granted, as it goes against the directives of the Highest One.] (DT)

[Some help you are. I hope you get a virus or something!] (Viktor)

He decided to let it go, and to continue reading. There was a brief description of his powers.

[Master of Corruption (Unique Power)

This divine power allows the user to sense and control the corruption within a soul. This allows the user to read the negative thoughts, memories and emotions of the corrupted soul. The corruption within a soul can also be used to manipulate and control said soul. A controlled soul will experience whatever the Master desires, be it pain, pleasure or any physical sensation. The corrupted souls also has to obey any command given by the Master, as long as he concentrate on it.

The degree of the control the Master have on a specific soul depend on the corruption of it.

When a soul is purified, its corruption becomes Divinity Points for the Master.

Using this ability does not consume Divinity Points.]

[Hey Tutor, what are these “Divinity Points”?] (Viktor)

[Answer: Divinity Points are way to measure the reserve of power granted to the new Gods of Domir to establish their rule. They have various applications, from the creation of Devas and other divine constructs, to enhancing the physical and magical power of a god. Also, they are required for the Gods to mantain their physical form: should they drop to zero, the god would lose his avatar body and be reduced to a spirit.] (DT)

[Ominous. So even the gods of this world are not completely invincible... anyway, what is this “avatar body”? And why are Master of Corruption and Absolute Rule of Hell written in bold?] (Viktor)

[Multiple Questions detected. The answers will be in chronological order. Answer number one: the Avatar Body is a power all the gods have. Your body is simply a shell created by your power in order to contain your spirit, and should it be destroyed you could simply spend Divinity Points to create a new one. As you have seen, you can also modify it and change his shapes in order to suit your desires, although large modifications would require Divinity Points.] (DT)

[Answer number two: the powers “Master of Corruption” and “Absolute Rule of Hell” are Unique Powers, as they have been given only to the God of Hell in order for him/you to fulfill his/your duties.] (TD)

[Wait a second, you said that changing my shape requires Divinity Points... do you mean that losing my wings before drained my Divinity Points!?!] (Viktor)

[Answer: no. Small modifications do not require Divinity Points. Only large modifications, like greatly changing size or shape, would require them.] (DT)

That was a tremendous relief. Viktor almost thought he had spent those precious points on something useless... well, he had to be careful from now on. He looked at another one of his powers.

[Absolute Rule of Hell (Unique Power)

This divine power allows the user to completely control the dimension known as Hell. The Ruler can shape Hell however he wants, making clouds, walls, fire or anything he wants by concentrating and wishing for it. However, he can't create sentient beings this way, and nothing created by this power can leave Hell.
    Using this power does not require Divinity Points]

[Uhm... this is an interesting power. So I can create anything I want while I'm in here?] (Viktor)

[Answer: the limitations of that power is that you cannot make any sentient being, and you cannot bring anything outside of hell. Otherwise, you can create anything you want.] (DT)

Viktor thoguht for a while, looking at the desert all around him. Surely making something to break up the monotony of the landscape wouldn't hurt.

He concentrated, like when he did in order to change his own body, and tried to create something.

[What should I make? A house? A bath? No, let's start simple... let's just make a small tree.] (Viktor)

And immediately, as he finished the thought, a tree grew up in front of him, getting bigger and bigger in a matter of seconds. It was exactly as he had imagined, a four meters tall tree with a vivid green foliage that made quite a nice shadow under it.

[Wow! This is nice! Let's try something else... something to eat! I'll make a cream puff! They're my favourite!] (Viktor)

He concentrated again, and a plate of chocolate cream puffs appeared in his hand with a puff of smoke.

[This is wonderful! At least now I can eat whatever I want! Hell is turning out to be better than I thought!] (Viktor)

And he bit down the first pastry, trying to savor it to the extreme.

So bitter!

He immediately spat out in disgust and started coughing, while the other cream puffs fell on the groun.

[Cough! Bleah! It taste like ashes and sulfur! Why does it taste so bad!?!] (Viktor)

[Answer: whatever object created in Hell is, ultimately, made of the essence of Hell itself. So it's natural that it keeps some characteristic of the matter it's made from. In the case of food, the taste.] (DT)

Viktor made a disgusted face. Then he looked at the tree.

Looking better, he could see that it wasn't exactly as he imagined: long torns sprouted from his branches, and the knots in the wood had the shape of screaming, anguished faces.

[Goddammit! So anything I made is hellish!?! What am I supposed to eat!?! Or are you gonna tell me that I don't need to eat either?] (Viktor)

[Multiple questions detected. The answers will be in chronological order. Answer number one: anything you create with the “Absolute Rule of Hell” will be made out of Hell itself, so it will be, like you said, “hellish”.] (DT)

[Answer number two and three: yes, the new Gods of Domir don't need sustenance to survive or function.] (DT)

[Great. This place keeps reminding why it's called Hell. Anything that seems good about it turns out to be terrible.] (Viktor)

Viktor was more than peeved about this development. He thought he could at least have something to eat, but evidently even this was denied to him.

He decided he had to take a shower and a nap, just to shrug off some of the irritation he had. Hopefully, by using his Rule of Hell power he would get an house he could live in.

He focused for a long time, trying to get any detail of the home he wanted right into his mind, and when he was ready he concentrated his will into making that house appear.

The results this time were more flashy than he expected.

From the rocks of the desert, something huge emerged, as the earth shook. Slowly but steadily, a two story house raised itself from the ground.

It look habitable, but still there were some differences from what he imagined: he thought of a simple house with a white, wooden porch and light colored bricks. This house was made entirely of dark, smoke stained stones, with iron bars at the windows and chains and spikes protrunding from the walls.

[Eh. Close enough.] (Viktor)

At this point, Viktor didn't really care anymore. He just wanted some respite.

So he entered the house.

The interior was as spooky as the exterior: instead of electric lights, torches were attached to the stone walls, and everything was dark and smoky. The decorations were mostly torture instruments, and the few paintings depicted mostly scenes from the Divine Comedy (which wasn't totally of bad taste though).

Everything felt like a torture dungeons from the medieval inquisition.

Shacking his head in disgust, Viktor went for the room he inteded to be the bathroom.

Luckily, the bathroom was marginally better than the rest: there was a huge stone pool on one side of the room, and the other was occupied by the toilets, the sink and the bidet. A big dark wood door opened into a closet equipped with black towels and crimson bathrobes, and also contained skull shaped soaps.

Viktor opened the tap of the big pool, and immediately steaming hot water started pouring.

By the sulfuric smell, it was clear that it was a hot spring rather than normal water... but, at least for now, was a good thing, as Viktor only wanted to relax rather than clean himself.

When the pool was full, he immersed himself completely in it. The water was still scalding hot and didn't show any sign it would cool down, but strangely enough not only that didn't hurt him, but it made him feel better.

He opened his wings into the pool, letting himself floating lazily in it, thinking that it was a great idea to make a pool big enough to keep his wings in it.

He stayed in the hot water for a very long time. He couldn't exactly tell how long, because the light in the sky never changed, but when he got up he felt much more relaxed.

[Okay then. Time for a nap.] (Viktor)

Without bothering putting his pants on (he was alone in Hell after all, without counting the Tutor) he walked to his bedroom.
    It was a very simple room, with only a very big, blood red bed in it. He just dived in it, face down cause the wings on his back didn't allowed him to sleep face up, and in about 10 minutes he was snoring loudly.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Fares and VannVann like this.
  13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I will be watching this thread. Hopefully I will enjoy this story

VannVann likes this.
  14. VannVann

Reading List:
    Link
    It appears that our mc will 'oversleep' ( a couple of centuries maybe) a bit... I wonder how he will shape his domain... guessing by his belief I imagine something on the lines of a psychiatric setting well keep up the good work!

15. Belgarion_V

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't wait to see where this goes!

16. Wildly_Laughing

Wildly_Laughing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To quote McDonald's, "I'm lovin' it!"

Ddraig and Belgarion_V like this.
  17. Belgarion_V

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope it has titles that do stuff lol

18. valethehowl

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 3
    The Goddess of Death

Viktor woke up to the sound of someone knocking at his door.

Still half asleep, he got up, yawning with his mouth full of sharp teeth, and then lazily walked downstairs.

[I'm coming, I'm coming! Who's there?] (Viktor)

A female voice answered him from outside.

[Uhm... I am searching for... “Nemesis”, is that right? I am Basmor, the Goddess of Death. I have a soul you need to take care of!] (Female voice)

Viktor stopped for a moment, still dozing off from his nap and wondering what did she mean with “Nemesis”, “goddess of death” and “soul”.

Then, like a downpour of cold water, the memories of the previous day ( or was it a day? It was impossible to tell the time in Hell) surfaced from his memory.

[Oh right! I'm sorry, I'm coming right now!] (Viktor)

He opened the door. In front of him, out of place in that hellish scenario like a lily in the desert, there was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. She was quite tall and slender (though he was still much taller than her), with silver hairs and grey eyes. Hear features were exquisitely delicate, like those of a flower, but at the same time they also transmitted a sense of rigidy and strenght, like some exceptional work of art made out of silvery steel.

The girl was dressed in simple but elegant white and gray robes, and she carried a hug scythe on her hand. Her appareance was serious and stern, but also elegant and graceful.

A bit surprised, she looked up to his face... and then her eyes wandered down.
    Immediately her ivory pallor grew more red, as she was staring without a word with a shocked expression on her face.

Viktor was surprised by that reaction.

Maybe she is surprised by my appareance... after all, I do look like a devil.

And then his own eyes wandered down, and he realize to his horror that he forgot to wear his pants and now was completely nude in front of that girl.

[KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!] (Basmor)

As the girl was shrieking, Viktor immediately hid behind the door.

[I-I am d-deeply sorry! I was sleeping and I just got up and I didn't realize I... I was... ok gimme a minute! I'll be right back after I get myself dressed!] (Viktor)

Still quite panicking, Viktor ran upstairs, where he took his pants and a bathrobe.
    He managed to wear the pants without problems, but putting the bathrobe on was almost impossible with his wings. He struggled with it for a good minute, before giving up and returning to the door with just his pants on.

When he got back, Basmor was still waiting at the door, with an embarassed expression still on her face.

[Ehm... sorry about that. As I said, I wasn't expecting visits... to be fair, I didn't you other people could get in here! Also, sorry about not putting a shirt, but... ya know... these wings makes it quite hard to dress up!] (Viktor)

[It's... it's ok, mister! Let's... just forget about what happened, shall we? Also, don't worry about your clothes... some other gods with wings have the same problem.] (Basmor)

The goddess was still flustered, and a moment of awkward silence passed between them, before Viktor resumed the discussion.

[Ehm ehm... you were saying something to me about a soul?] (Viktor)

[Oh yeah... it's here with me.] (Basmor)

The Goddess indicated a small figure behind her.

It was an humanoid creature, but it was quite impossible to tell if it was human or not. It was emaciated, shriveled up, skeletally thin and with a completely gray skin.

It reminded Viktor of Gollum from the Lord of the Rings.

[Is that... thing... the soul?](Viktor)

[Yes.](Basmor)

[Why does it looks like that? Do the mortals of this “new world” have all this appareance?] (Viktor)

Basmor gave a confused look at Viktor.

[No, he looked human while he was alive. My guess is that the corruption of his soul made him look like this. But wait a minute... haven't you been on Domir? Didn't you receive instructions from the God that took us here?] (Basmor)

[Uhm... nope. That jerkass simply told me I was the new god of hell and sent me here in a spray of crimson fire. When I woke up from that I looked like an halloween decoration and was all alone here with the Divine Tutor.] (Viktor)

[Oh. So you're the guy that protested against us being made gods then? We thought you had been destroyed or something!] (Basmor)

[No, that god just told me I was going to be the new god of Hell and dropped me here... didn't you hear him?] (Viktor)

[Well yes, but apart from you, all the other gods appeared in the heavens so we didn't know for sure if you survived or not.] (Basmor)

She gave him a little smile.

[Personally, I'm glad that the Highest One didn't hurt you. You were very brave standing up to him like that!] (Basmor)

[Oh... ehm... thank you!] (Viktor)

This time was Viktor's turn to be flustered. Being complimented by such a beautiful girl was not something that happened to him all the days.

The silence that followed was very uncomfortable, so Viktor decided to talk just to end it.

[Ehm... sooooooo... what am I supposed to do with this soul?] (Viktor)

[Uhm... I don't know actually. The Highest One told me that was my job to ferry the souls of the dead to their afterlife... that is, good souls are reincarnated or go to their god's heaven, while evil souls are sent here in Hell.] (Basmor)

[So this is an evil soul? Again, what am I supposed to do with it?] (Viktor)

Basmor thought for a bit before answering.

[The Highest One said that evil souls are sent to Hell to be purified before going back in the cycle of reincarnation. So my guess is that you have to purify it.] (Basmor)

[And how am I supposed to do that?] (Viktor)

[How would I know that? You are the God of Hell. It's your job, isn't it? Besides, you said you have a Divine Tutor. Why not ask him?] (Basmor)

Viktor frowned as he remembered that annoying being. He really wished he could do without its idiocy and literal mindedness, but apparently he still had urgent things to learn.

[Yeah... I have one. I'll ask him later about what I am supposed to do with this soul.] (Viktor)

[Good. Well then, I'll take my leave now. I can't stay away too long or the souls will probably pile up] (Basmor)

She saluted him and was about to get away, when Viktor stopped her.

[Excuse me! I'd have one last question! How exactly do you leave Hell?] (Viktor)

Basmor looked at him as if she just realized something.

[Oh right, you didn't receive any instruction from the Highest One! Well, you do have the Divine Creation power, right?] (Basmor)

Viktor thought for a moment. The Tutor showed him a list of power, and he remembered something called Divine Creation being in it.

[Uhm... yeah. I do.] (Viktor)

[Well, among the things you can create there are dimentional portals. You can create temporary portals anywhere, or you can create a permant portal in your own Domain... you should be able to create a permanent one here in Hell.] (Basmor)

[Creating a portal requires Divinity Points, so you should be cautious with it. My suggestion is that you create a permanent portal near your home: it's much more costly than a temporary one, but it will cut your expenses in the long run.] (Basmor)

[Oh. So that's how it is. I really should study with the Divine Tutor... sorry for bothering you!] (Viktor)

[Oh, don't worry! I didn't mind it at all!] (Basmor)

Basmor gave him a mischievous smile, causing Viktor to feel weak in the knees.

[Now I really must be off! It was a pleasure meeting you! Just one thing: I may come back with more souls in the future, so try not to wander around naked from now on!] (Basmor)

Viktor blushed heavily at that remainder (luckily his already red skin made that unnoticeable) as he watched Basmor opening a portal and going away while laughing.

VannVann, Fares and Ddraig like this.
  19. VannVann

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I have waited for long!!! Good chappa! Cliche chappa! No slap cliche chappa! Thank you, keep up the good work!

Fares likes this.
  20. Belgarion_V

Reading List:
    Link