Discussion Being transported in a isekai (novels) is boring

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tsuru55, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes it is written that some Japanese dreams of being summoned in another world but is it really that good ? No i don't think so.
    Most isekais are placed in a society where magic take a important role in life but technology is near-no-existant = medieval age minus some novels that successfully incorporate technology (ex:
    I Didn't Even Want to Live, But God Forced Me to Reincarnate!, Binary Soul ending).

So ? You still don't get it ? The big problem is "ENTERTAINMENT".
    You are in a isekai, you become an adventurer or a hero, gain lvls and build a harem.

But after that ? What do you do ? Keep having sex, work and die of old age like in Mushoku Tensei?

The things i can think of are : listening to music (bards (novel Sevens) / theater-orchestra (Throne of Magical Arcana)), go to theatre shows, gambling (Jobless), create some games like othello (I Want to Live a Slow Life in the Countryside After Reincarnation), eating food (eating dragon meat), sight-see the whole world (what is there to see beside boring town, huge mountains and the sea? + killing dragons), train some disciples (but that kinda count into work).
    See ? If you are fast you already finished everything in 2-3 years and you will wish to come back in the modern world (surely with your harem if you had the choice).

So unless someone got a solution to have fun in a isekai (beside having the skill to cross worlds) smart people that thought about it will not accept to go to an isekai.

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you're Momonga and you have too many things to enjoy and experience.

His slice of life is more 'enjoyable' than his 'world domination' life. He really loves his NPCs

JadeWhiteSkin likes this.
  3. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry i didn't watch Overlord after season 1 and ep1 of season 2.

Also i hate and it's kinda the pity that he can't sex. Really too bad.

4. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    You could somehow become a King or a noble and enjoy the having a lot of power over your subjects.

5. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you begin to touch torture+horror+mean orders, humans can't entertain you a lot (magic tricks maybe and skills) and it becomes soon boring.

6. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that isekai worlds tend to be rather large and diverse, and with the methods of transportation usually being slower, and any news of events 'worthy' to visit might not actually reach people interested in time, I would disagree with 2-3 years if they actually do all of those things.

Count on atleast 5-10 years.

And after all that, then someone would likely be very willing to experiment some more, depending on what their current isekai status is which changes what's available for them to experiment with

7. zarvi

zarvi Ojisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't lose hope
    Iirc there an item mentioned here that supposedly can change your race.
    I don't clearly remember when did he mentioned that but i remember him offering this item to someone to changr into angel race.

8. puchipyun

puchipyun Sorry for my bad English, mina san

Reading List:
    Link
    You must crawling when exploring the another worlds

9. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    There's magic tho.

10. Mangikop

Mangikop Observer from the Fourth Wall

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone, please calm your imaginations and let's face life. :blobowoevil::blobowoevil:

leonkam96 likes this.
  11. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the first things I'd introduce would be printing presses, unless magical document replication was already a thing, since I don't know how a Mimeograph works.

I'm pretty sure I could also manage to introduce cheaper paper & ink production methods (though the latter might require also introducing wood alcohols, which again would be a weak point).

So if I could make education & reading cheaper, by the time I could retire I'd hopefully also have an entire new world of literature, of genres we can't imagine not being from what we would consider a fantasy world, to read.

I'd also try to introduce TTRPGs & Wargaming.

leonkam96 likes this.
  12. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    The best way to experience an isekai with a game system would be... None, JRPGs are fucking grindfests, and we already have irl for grinding. Now remove the game system, and we have more options, like actually becoming good in something (magic, the arts, martial arts, unorthodox tomb raiding and dungeon exploration, getting away once she's pregnant, not running away once she's pregnant, discovering contraception, discovering how to cultivate contraceptive herbs, so they don't go extinct, be the cause of a sexual revolution, be killed by yanderes, reincarnate as your granddaughter, found a women's rights movement, make a castle full of women and build a yuri paradise, reluctantly start trading with other areas, get culturally polluted, all the girls become depraved NEETs and hikikomoris, because of your social care system, err where was I going with this?).

The problem with the isekai genre is that it's not exciting enough, because dragons and slimes are of the same scale, and there's no sense of actual otherworldliness, since the worlds don't have much of a point to them, that doesn't revolve around summoned heroes or reincarnated individuals. A few novels actually barely manage with this point, but just barely. Essentially isekais suffer from childish egocentrism and that's their initial appeal, but the reader grows out of it faster than the author could. :D

13. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to in the first place anyway. Clean Bathroom, internet, games, comfy bed!! Are not available, I can't even imagine that, make me more grateful for this life. I don't care about magic, elf, or something, I just wanna laying around on my bed and became a pro lazy man with web novels on his hand

14. puchipyun

puchipyun Sorry for my bad English, mina san

Reading List:
    Link
    The best way to waste your time in another world is : make some people to become your lab rats and do some experiments with them.. Making new species like man with ears on his dick and eyes on his abdomen, also remove his head and switch his nose position in in his butt (bit higher than his ass) so he can smell his gas himself as your torturing..

How evil right ? Hahahaha..

15. Stealth

Stealth Elegant Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    dude... there are dwarves, elves, demons, etc. recruit them then build our hopeless dreams in past world, like..... gundam!!

leonkam96 likes this.
  16. leonkam96

leonkam96 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why did we all come to NU??? We read.
    Isekai or not, there bound to be something for us to read in our free time. Or write a fanfiction/ novel and spread it to everyone

17. imacutemotherfucker

imacutemotherfucker Puyo

Reading List:
    Link
    Even though isekai is boring.
    It quite funny that when we watch anime is pretty much isekai to us

18. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    Simply travelling all cool places would take like ~80 years, if I keep writing novels during that time itll take another 50-100 additionally.
    Oh wait im already dead by the time I travelled all cool places D:

If one had the means (cash) itd be no problem to be entertained for your whole life in medieval times. In Isekai there is even more to do~

Well youd be suffering forever if your only hobby is to have no life or hobbies~ but thats your fault~~ <3

19. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't need to transfer world, I just need a high spec computer to play fantasy games.

I think, in the future, VR will provide a breath taking fantasy world.

20. Suou

Suou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I would prefer going to isekai...if I have protagonist plot armor lol. That aside, i always wanted to be an alchemist making potions and stuff in an atelier.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.