Discussion Besides money, what makes loot box frowned upon?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Fi, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Enlighten me why lootbox is worse than the usual drop rate?

2. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz rng basically you spend xx money for a % chance instead of just buying it straight up for generally way less

3. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    It is like you trying to buy things at a less price by gambling, doesn't work like that.

Also, I believe CCGs like Ishtaria and Valkyrie Crusade (quitted long ago) lied about their drop rates... wasted pretty dollars to try and get event cards, end up getting japtems.

And then there are the whales...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  4. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Loot boxes has a chance to give major boost in certain things like characters, items and etc that are mostly unlock using real money.

Takes away the long grinding hours to buy special packs that boost the speed.

Can be used as a gambling term to sell item for huge amount of cash.

0000000 likes this.
  5. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm... let's say I play an RPG with crafting element. For the item I want to be crafted, I need 5 material from common enemy and 2 from rare enemy, one of which is rare. each of those material is basically an RNG too. instead of money, we spend time in the old RPG.

6. Einzwalker

Einzwalker Cook-Protagonist Hater

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not guaranteed you will get the things that you want...

0000000 likes this.
  7. Alchyr

Alchyr Master of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    The difference is that loot boxes first of all, yes cost money, and secondly, their contents are generally either cosmetics, or upgrades. In the case of upgrades, it allows players who buy loot boxes to have an advantage over other players (if they're lucky), because the loot boxes people complain about are generally in multiplayer games, not single player games.

In the case of cosmetics, players would much prefer that they simply be given the option to buy the ones they want instead of buying loot boxes in hopes of getting it, and getting a bunch of stuff they don't care about instead.

8. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... this. Suppose that you have 0.0025% chance to get end-game character build in a lootbox, do you have to pin for the chased character?

Basically, we take all possible outcome of drops, from the start of the game to the finish, assign the probability for each outcome where the closer to the endgame content they are, the rarer they are, then shove them into the lootbox. You have a certain small chance to get an infinity+1 sword, but other things are equally improbable.

Honestly, at this point, I do not comprehend what makes lootbox get its bad reputation, as both lootbox and item drop are just gambling/RNG (with better chance to get the right item for oldschool item drop). The lootbox has more extreme range of outcomes, but internal mechanism of rewarding our brain for each hit of success seem to be the same.

9. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    thats cuz of EA and the likes
    you remember the star wars problem?
    you wanna play a certain char like darth vader then you gotta either spend at least 600$ on lootboxes or grind away 6000hrs theres no good option

10. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You invest time working ingame (also known as playing) to gather stuff OR you can (unless it's quest related) just buy them from other players.

Lootboxes are the ingame equivalent of you going to some clothing store wanting to buy some shirts and return with no money, 2 bras and 3 panties you do NOT like (even with your possible fetish, it's either the wrong size or style), 7 jeans that do not fit you, some shoes that totally clash with your style and a hat that gives +1 aggression to any bully who sees you. But NO F*CKING SHIRT.

If you want that shirt you have to:
    - Steal your fathers/mothers credit card
    - Spent enough money to buy yourself a car
    - Finally come home wearing the shirt that you want
    - See that your father/mother has a new belt
    - FEEL that your father/mother has a new belt
    - Be grounded for life with no computer, smartphone, etc.
    - Have to return all that stuff you bought (including your shirt)
    - Cry like a bitch about your father/mother being unfair and you only wanting a new shirt and ... yadda yadda yadda.

And THAT is why lootboxes are hated.

11. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh... Because lootboxes makes it the main reason why devs make more dlcs than the actual games? Also, lootboxes are why we are given games that are too repetitive, a undevelop cycle of unfairness(due to given huge advantages to people who can buy them) and makes us want to play free games because developers care for money than making games.

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN and Avrnea like this.
  12. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gambling, duh. It'a an addiction and a mental disorder.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  13. Synchrotron

Synchrotron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lootboxes are essentially Schrödinger's cat. Although instead of 50-50, you will almost all of the time get sh*t loot. Not only that, the probability list is not always accurate. Some devs even use the list to fool players and get the juicy money you worked hard for.

I only buy it on a game I'm playing if there is a drop multiplier event.

Fi likes this.
  14. MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN Planet sized warrior Tony without wisdom teeth

Reading List:
    Link
    I also enjoy paying someone so I can pay them again for a loot box I can't wait to open one.

15. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    It looks like gambling, and it for all intents and purposes is: Australia (?) recently completed a study, which found that it was psychologically equivalent.

And we don't want gambling in our childrens' games, now do we?

It's a form of gambling that escapes the strict regulation.

AMissingLinguist and kenar like this.
  16. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    well... then that's one reason that I found besides money.
    I don't know, the old school RPG does feel like gambling too when it is stripped into the basic number crunching?
    Then does the player feel that their 10 hours of game time equal to 1$?
    Hmm... is it the almost instantaneous nature of the loot box itself then? or the worse probability?
    Hmm... elaborate please? yeah, I'm aware of the practice of shifting the probability spread when you are identified as "whale" or spender (which is rather scummy for the developer).

17. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Loot boxes are in game gambling. People feel they'll get what they want if they boy enough boxes, but reality is no matter how many they buy they're still just playing with a rng. So end result is easy money off impulse buyers and people with gambling problems. It's basically exploiting people for easy cash. If they eventually get the item they wanted they might complain a bit about how much they spent, but since they still got it, they'll be semi content. As for the endless losers, yeah, they'll probably rage about it on forums, then quit after blowing a ton of cash. For companies either one of those results works in their favor since they made some money off them.

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN likes this.
  18. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    The curse of RNG

19. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    I think dlc's are worst than lootboxes, and i think the fcc is worse than both of them, then ea is even worse with their pr and practices, and I think major telemarketing companies and thier sectional markets is worse than all of them combined.

20. Fi

Fi Chosen One

Reading List:
    Link
    well... aren't the old RPG with crafting element the same? You do the action, then you get a variable reward. Even browsing the internet feel the same at this point. You scroll down, look for something interesting, then your brain will reward you when you perceive that something is interesting. Else you scroll down again. Because you almost always be rewarded as long as you continue to scroll down, your brain get its dopamine hits. Honestly I don't see them as something different.