Best Novel Review of 2021

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is from Royal Road but it is so awesome

Good but this isn't what I was looking for...
    BY Samlakios4/23/2019, 10:05:01 PM
    Starts as an Isekai novel, hero summoning in times of need, monsters, demihuman village. Then

Cato and the Hero start the revolution act, Cato takes the scientific/magitech route causing an "industrial revolution" while the hero starts the slave revolution. Later on and until chapter 87 Cato story becomes a political/power strife while Hero is discovering things in ruins about The First.

For now I will put it on hold until I get sufficient will force to arduously end reading this story. Why I say this?

Because I was looking for an Isekai story, I wanted to know more about the world, more about the First. I wanted adventures, dragons, goblins, dungeons. Instead I am reading about human society and industrial revolution, I FEEL CHEATED. The story is not bad but wasn't what I was looking for.

Since I am a masochist, I might just read the novel
    @Effugium @otaku31 @jacobpaige
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/2826/a-heros-war

userunfriendly likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get the reviewer's complaint tho. Even I wouldn't want to read about industrial revolution, political struggles and abolition of slavery. At least, the reviewer makes their expectations and reasons clear in their review. That said, I wouldn't want to read your typical isekai either.

Paps, userunfriendly and Wujigege like this.
  3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And this is why I think that review scores are useless. The reviewer is absolutely correct in being disappointed in a book that doesn't deliver what it originally promised to. Some people are going to like this bait and switch because they like the kind of story it develops into, and some people are going to hate it. Both of these reactions are perfectly reasonable, but neither are a particularly good indicator of the quality of the book. But to contrast the uselessness of the review score, the review itself is quite good: it tells us what the story is about, and the reader can determine for themselves whether it appeals to them.

Personally I'd love this change because stories about societal development and radical change. I'd absolutely read it if it were a Chinese novel, but I'm not really into Western webnovels. However, it does remind me of a book that was developed as exactly this kind of story: it's built up over the first three quarters about an aristocratic society that abuses and murders its slave peoples. The very opening depicts young noblemen hunting and slaughtering dozens of 7-10 year old slave girls for sport. But what happens in the last quarter? The story comes down on the side of the slavers. Apparently they're pretty cool people if you manage to impress them, and they'll absolutely change their ways if you ask them nicely. This is the kind of bait and switch that should be front and center whenever anyone talks about this book.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews like this and comments like yours make me want to really publish books.
    Imagine books where readers actually have a say. No I do not mean they decide the plot.
    Readers vote on synopsis like this guy did:
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/32067/never-die-twice

Every single chapter was paid for in advance
    $100 a pop

otaku31 likes this.
  5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a terrible idea because readers usually don't have a clue about what makes a story good. In fact, a lot of writers don't either, and that's why so many stories degenerate into garbage. There's a stark difference between a story written by someone with good writing instincts and one by someone with bad writing instincts. I've seen two books that take the same germ of an idea and put them in similar contexts, but one of the two is one of the most memorable scenes I've ever read while the other has very little impact (other than contrasting with the former). A reader-drive story can only be the latter so there isn't much to recommend it.

I do know of a book that did this though. In "Maoyuu Maou Yuusha" the writer posted the story on a forum and he progressed it based on the input he received. By the way, this is by the same author who wrote "Log Horizon" (and who was in the same D&D group as the writer of "Overlord") so it's not some random scrub. I sort of hate this book though so I'd say that it's vastly inferior.

By the way, I don't think it's unusual for even published veteran writers to have bad writing instincts.

Westeller and Wujigege like this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian novels is a good example but thats not what I mean.
    Readers will not affect the direction of the story but which synopsis becomes a novel.
    I guess I am saying, I want readers to pick a story idea from a number of story ideas and the writer writes it without reader input

7. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I felt like this while reading Summoned slaughter, if you are going to go for Isekai, there is a minimum requirement about the fantasy specifics that are expected.

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.