Novel [BL] His Treasured Person - LH Arc 2 Batch Update (Chapters 3~6)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Ars, Jan 2, 2018.

1. DeanRae

DeanRae Fall's Symphony╏One with the blunt knife╏

Reading List:
    Link
    Daaaannnggg i would have given this hella votes and power stones lol got me at when he was having nightmares. Much tears

Ars likes this.
  2. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, Lu Hao's POV sounds nice. Cause I'm still wondering what he was doing on his computer pre-apocalypse. So secretive... I thought it would be revealed later, like stocking up food and materials or something. Or contacting people, or buying weapons...
    This was wonderful btw. Loved reading it :aww::aww:. Your style really flows and is easy to read and picture everything. Hope to read a lot more from you :blob_pompom::blob_pompom::blob_pompom:.

chamchaworld and Ars like this.
  3. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes please :blobReach::blobReach::blobReach:. Lol, though it's a lot of pressure. But I'm loving the story, your writing style (just realized I've stalked you before), the characters, and I'd love some smut between them, even if it fades to black eventually :blobsmilehappyeyes::blobnosebleed:.
    And kiddie Lu Hao was so cute :aww:.

Einon and Ars like this.
  4. Ars

Ars Simple-Minded Trash

Reading List:
    Link
    hehehe thank you!! Hong Sheng talks about all of his suffering really casually so I'm happy to see that you could sympathize with him hahaha
    Thanks so much ludagad!!! It means a lot to me that you like it hahaha, I also remember your encouragement from the first time I posted a story :blobicecreamlove: Yeah, a lot of info that was glossed over in Hong Sheng POV will get expanded on in Lu Hao :blobmelt:
    Hehehe, okay. When the smut comes, I'll do my best :blobhero:

Oh, almost forgot. I've started posting my BL translation! It's called Picked up a Strange Knight, you can find it in my sig or through NU. It's a fun slice of life that gets smutty in the second half. Don't be afraid of the low NU ratings... it got hit by the anti-BL brigade (sweat)
    I quite like the story, so if you're interested please check it out.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Einon, ludagad and DeanRae like this.
  5. ludagad

Reading List:
    Link
    Bring it on! :3

Ratings never scared me away from BL lol. Only content does (slag seme or too much abuse and dog blood :blobdead:). Anyway, I already got the story in my BL to read list. Thank you for your work~ :blob_pompom::blob_pompom::blob_pompom:

Einon and Ars like this.
  6. Hotarla

Hotarla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I’ve been reading the Knight novel you’re translating, I thought the translator looked familiar lol! Thank you for translating, I like it so far!

Einon and Ars like this.
  7. Ars

Ars Simple-Minded Trash

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay, thank you for reading it!!! I'm actually surprised by how nice the story is hahaha. The author does a good job of writing likeable characters who follow some tropes but have dimensionality as well, and the narration is pretty entertaining. I actually just got stomach-punched by feels while translating chapter 8, and when I impatiently skipped ahead to read the rest through google translate I actually cried a little at the ending... it's so sweet ah 。°(ノд`°)°。

Einon and Hotarla like this.
  8. Hotarla

Reading List:
    Link
    I really want to read more about that puppy-like seme, ahh he’s so cute, I want to see more interactions with him and the modern world lol.

Einon and Ars like this.
  9. Corensi

Corensi Maiden of Purity

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhhh I love how fluffy this is. It healed my heart. But even though I say that, I can't wait for the angsty POV from Lu Hao. I always love a little heartbreak, and I can just imagine how Lu Hao will feel when Hong Sheng dies and tries to eat him in their first timeline. Ah yes, I'm already eagerly preparing tissues.

The childhood arc was so sweet, and just reading how Lu Hao did all he could to break down Hong Shengs's walls was touching. I really liked how you portrayed them. Your characterization made me, as a reader, feel closer to the two darlings. So I greatly enjoyed the whole thing.

Can't wait for more!

Einon and Ars like this.
  10. Ars

Ars Simple-Minded Trash

Reading List:
    Link
    Hiya folks!!
    Just wanted to give a progress update.

I'm currently still writing the apocalypse zombie sequel-- right now my focus is on translating so I only write some scraps and pieces haha :sweating_profusely:

I also wanted to say that I finally started uploading to wattpad. You can see some stuff here- https://www.wattpad.com/user/tinyrobot
    Immortal Teacher and Wifechasing Cultivator is the name of the oneshot (???) that I started writing after reading Seven Unfortunate Lifetimes. It's still incomplete, actually, even though it's about 4k long now the story isn't even 1/5th done, so it might actually be somewhat of a behemoth. I'll be posting it here when it's done, but if you want to take a sneak peek you can hahaha.

Anyway, thanks!! I'll keep working on these stories!!

11. Ars

Ars Simple-Minded Trash

Reading List:
    Link
    To the Start of a New World

Arc 1, Chapters 3 and 4

“Found you!”

Small and chubby hands pulled apart the branches of a bush. Grinning, Lu Hao peeked his head over the hole that he’d made. Behind the window of leaves was a small boy crouched between the roots of a tree, his skinny arms curled around his knees. He had been sitting alone in the darkness, but when Lu Hao broke apart the wall which hid him, sunlight fell through the open leaves and illuminated the boy's figure.

“Hong Sheng, you really pick the hardest hiding spots.” Lu Hao tackled his way through the bush and reached a hand out to tap Hong Sheng’s shoulder. “There! I found you. Come on, let’s go.”

The moment Lu Hao’s hand touched him, a small smile lit up Hong Sheng’s face. He nodded and obediently stood, following Lu Hao out of the bushes and back onto the road.

The sun had nestled into the horizon, dying the entire sky orange and yellow. Lu Hao brushed his hands over himself, swiping off all the branches and leaves that had caught on his clothes. Hong Sheng watched him quietly, but when Lu Hao turned around to look at him, he shyly lowered his eyes.

“You’re really good at this game, you know.” Lu Hao grabbed Hong Sheng’s hand and dragged him away while chatting happily. “You lasted longer than anyone! Even Bai Ze lost after thirty minutes. But the first one to lose was Ming Li. I found her in like, ten seconds. Girls aren’t good at hiding. They always stand out. But you’re the best at hiding. I’m the only one who can find you, because I’m the best at seeking! Right?”

He looked over at Hong Sheng who nodded, a faint red tint to his downturned face.

Lu Hao grinned and turned back to the road. They walked along a street at the edge of the park, and it would take about six minutes to get back to Hong Sheng’s apartment at the other side of the park.

Lu Hao liked to play games with his friends. His favorites were team games like soccer, but he liked simple games like catching the dragon’s tail, too, where everyone formed a line and the person in front tried to catch the person in the back. Chasing games were also fun because Lu Hao was always the fastest at catching people.

But whenever he played those games with his friends, Hong Sheng never joined. Hong Sheng just sat at the side and watched them. When he did that, the girls thought he was creepy. Lu Hao didn’t like when his friends didn’t get along together — all of them belonged to him, so they should all be one big family with Lu Hao on top. That’s why Lu Hao decided that they needed to find a game that Hong Sheng would play, too.

After a lot of trying new things, he finally found one: Hide and Seek. In this game, everyone except the seeker had to hide, and then seeker would go and find everyone. The people who got found also had to help find whoever was still hiding. All of Lu Hao’s friends thought this was fun, even Hong Sheng. Hong Sheng was the best hider. Even at the end of the game when everyone else had been found, Hong Sheng was always the last one left. All of Lu Hao’s other friends knew that it would take a long time to find Hong Sheng, so they always went home early. Lu Hao was the only one who ever could find him anyway, so it didn’t matter whether they stayed or not.

If Lu Hao ever forgot, though, then Hong Sheng would probably be hiding for a very long time.

“Okay, we’re at your home now. Today was fun, right?”

Hong Sheng looked up at Lu Hao. He looked sad, like he didn’t want Lu Hao to leave so soon. Eventually he nodded and gently disentangled his hand. “Bye, Lu Hao,” he whispered, his dark eyes turned toward the floor.

Lu Hao frowned. He put his hand under Hong Sheng’s chin and raised the other boy’s face, making Hong Sheng’s gaze snap toward him. Lu Hao’s mouth curled into a bright smile. “I like seeing your face when you talk to me, okay?”

As soon as Lu Hao said those words, Hong Sheng jerked out of reach.

Raising a hand to cover the lower half of his face, Hong Sheng glanced with wide eyes at Lu Hao before bolting away and escaping into his apartment.

Lu Hao blinked at the empty space where Hong Sheng once stood. He sighed, putting his fists on his hips. “I’ll get you to stop running away from me eventually!” he muttered, the image of an angry-puffed up cat appearing in his head. Just like Hong Sheng, the neighborhood cat always ran away if you tried to touch it.

He sighed again, wondering if he should buy more treats, and started to walk back home.

High above, the curtains to one of the apartment windows trembled. Hong Sheng, who stood with one hand grasping the curtain, moved his other hand to gently touch the bottom of his chin.

His face turned bright red.

All in all, Lu Hao was quite happy about his current situation.

Now that Hong Sheng was his Lu Hao didn’t have to chase after him every day, so he could finally go and visit his other friends’ houses, and go out to play in other places. Since Hong Sheng’s apartment was in front of the park, Lu Hao didn’t always have to walk home with him anymore, either. Now Lu Hao could go to the park with his other friends and Hong Sheng would join them when he wanted to.

Lu Hao had been very successful in his mission of befriending Hong Sheng, or so he thought.

He hadn’t noticed that, at some point in time, Hong Sheng had grown even quieter than before, and had slowly started to drift away.

It was a bright and sunny day in summer when Lu Hao waited at the entrance to the school. He hadn’t talked to Hong Sheng in a week. At first, when Hong Sheng didn’t come meet him like he usually did, Lu Hao thought that maybe the other boy was sick. He asked a teacher from another class if Hong Sheng was okay, but the teacher said that Hong Sheng was healthy and still coming to school.

If that was the case, then why wasn’t Hong Sheng playing with Lu Hao?

If that was the case, then why did Hong Sheng run away when Lu Hao finally saw him the other day?

Lu Hao had run out of class early today, and waited at the entrance to catch Hong Sheng when he came out. But, no matter how long he waited, he never saw Hong Sheng.

Lu Hao’s hands tightened over the arms of his backpack, and with a stormy frown on his face, marched off toward the park. Earlier all of his friends had gone there to play. So, if Lu Hao still didn’t see Hong Sheng today, then Lu Hao would just forget him and go have fun with his other friends who knew better than to ignore Lu Hao.

With those seething thoughts cluttering his head, he hadn’t noticed that he’d arrived at the park until he heard the screaming.

“I wish I’d never married a man like you!”

The woman’s screech made Lu Hao’s head snap up. In front of Hong Sheng’s apartment, a man and a woman screamed at each other like they were about to tear each other’s throats out. The man stood just beyond the shade of the apartment while the woman stood at the side of the road, a large car parked beside her. The car’s trunk was open, and scattered on the ground next to it were suitcases, bags, and boxes.

The things they said were things Lu Hao had only heard in daytime dramas. “You’re a disgusting excuse of a man,” and, “Which bastard will support you now, you stupid bitch,” and many other words that a married couple should not say to each other. The woman looked ready to explode with how red her face had gotten, and the closer Lu Hao looked, the more she seemed familiar.

The woman hissed something at the man, and when he jerked a hand up like he was about to slap her, she ducked away and grabbed one of her bags. She threw it into the trunk of the car and, while still muttering curses, packed up the rest of her things.

Seeing her back, Lu Hao remembered who she was.

His eyes slid over to the right, and there, in the shadows, watching this scene with empty and lifeless eyes, was Hong Sheng.

In that shadowy corner, Hong Sheng looked somehow like he was the last person left in the entire world, like the dark place he was in now was somehow different from the place where Lu Hao stood. It felt like even if Lu Hao went over to grab him, his hand would only pass through.

Hong Sheng did not blink as he watched the woman pack her belongings into the car. His head did not move at all. He did not notice his father, and was unaffected by the breeze. He only watched solemnly as all the empty spaces in the trunk were filled by bags and boxes. He looked at the stacked-up luggage like he was supposed to be there, too— like he wanted the woman to pick him up and fold him into a sheet that could slide in between her clothes and her makeup.

When the woman slammed the trunk closed, Hong Sheng’s face dropped. Lu Hao had seen this expression before. Lost and confused, the same face Hong Sheng had made when Lu Hao had treated him kindly for the first time. Except now it wasn’t someone’s kindness Hong Sheng was confused over. No, this time it was someone’s betrayal.

“I wish I’d never married you,” the woman spat again at her husband.

Then she looked at Hong Sheng for the first time since Lu Hao had gotten here, and she didn’t say a single thing.

She turned around, got in the car, and drove away.

After cursing heavily, Hong Sheng’s father stormed back into the apartment. Hong Sheng still stood outside, not moving. He was like a doll that had been thrown away, left scattered on the ground. Dolls couldn’t move unless someone helped them. But Hong Sheng’s father was gone, and his mother was gone, too. There was only Lu Hao left to pick him up.

For a while, Lu Hao didn’t move. He didn’t know what to do or what to say. If Hong Sheng were crying, Lu Hao could have told him, “Don’t cry.” If Hong Sheng had gotten angry, he could have said, “I’ll help you fight.”

But Hong Sheng did not do a single thing. He was just standing there, half-hidden in the darkness, like he was waiting for something.

A flicker of thought passed through Lu Hao’s head, and before he knew it, he was walking over to where Hong Sheng stood. Hong Sheng didn’t react to Lu Hao at all until Lu Hao grasped the other boy’s thin arm in his hand and said, “Found you.”

Hong Sheng’s head tilted up slightly, then, and he looked at Lu Hao blankly.

For some reason Lu Hao’s eyes were wet, and it was almost hard to speak. But he fought against the feeling and told Hong Sheng with as much bravery as he could muster, “Hong Sheng, I found you, so you’ll come home with me, okay?”

Hong Sheng’s large and dull eyes blinked once, heavily, and that wasthe only confirmation Lu Hao needed to drag the other boy away from the shadow of the apartment.

Ma had been angry when Lu Hao brought Hong Sheng home. “Lu Hao, you know better than to bring someone without permission!” she scolded, all the while bustling the boys in and pouring tea for them to drink. “His parents must be worried sick over where he’s gone. We should call and let them know where he is. It’s late, so either I’ll take him home or someone will need to come pick him up.”

Under Ma’s stern stare, Lu Hao asked Hong Sheng to write down the phone number for his apartment, and Hong Sheng did so mechanically. Ma took the paper and went over to the landline phone in the other room. Lu Hao and Hong Sheng sat in silence, the tea steaming in front of them, until minutes later Ma returned with an absolutely furious expression on her face.

The moment she realized Lu Hao was looking, Ma immediately changed expressions into a familiar gentle one. Folding her hands in front of her, she smiled at Hong Sheng, who didn’t seem to be paying attention, and said, “Little Sheng, your father said it’s fine if you stay with us tonight! You can share Little Hao’s room. I’ll make a special, tasty dinner to celebrate your first time visiting us, so look forward to it! Little Hao, how about you take him to play in the meantime?” Only Lu Hao noticed that Ma’s hands were shaking with suppressed emotion, and her eyes shone a little with dampness.

Dinner that night was a sumptuous feast. A whole steamed fish with soy sauce, green onion, and ginger; heaping plates of vegetables; shredded pork with mushrooms; soft, glistening tofu in flavorful sauce… such delicious and fragrant dishes covered the entire table. Pa looked shocked when he came home from work that night.

Hong Sheng did not seem to have tasted a single thing, even as he robotically ate everything that Lu Hao and Ma scooped into his bowl.

Though she didn’t look it, Ma actually had a lot of pride. She felt she was a great cook, and loved when people enjoyed her meals. So, seeing Hong Sheng’s blank face, she made a fiery decision in her heart and ordered Lu Hao to bring Hong Sheng over to their house as many times as he could. She absolutely wouldn’t let him leave until he finally said the words, ‘Tasty!’

And that was how, many days and many months and several years later, when Hong Sheng shyly smiled and earnestly thanked her for the delicious food as usual, she had realized that somehow she had gotten a second son.

Ma was always kind to Lu Hao’s friends, but Hong Sheng was special. That was why, when Pa got a promotion and started earning much more money than before, Ma made sure that Hong Sheng always had everything he needed for school and always had decent clothes. Lu Hao was happy to bring Hong Sheng with him everywhere, and with the allowance his father gave him, took Hong Sheng out to eat at restaurants and cafes. Their favorite was one which sold lots of small sweet snacks that Hong Sheng quietly adored.

After a while, Hong Sheng grew more comfortable with talking to them. He had never spoken much at all in his life, but because of Ma’s constant friendliness and Pa’s gentle conversation-making, he learned the ways of social interactions. At first he couldn’t say anything without stuttering, but the quiet encouragement from Lu Hao’s parents gave him the confidence to pick up his words and eventually speak seamlessly, if still quietly.

Hong Sheng didn’t like talking about himself, but Lu Hao learned the basics of his life from the few times he did. For example, that a few months back his father remarried. For example, that they had moved out of the apartment and into a new house. For example, that now his step-mother was pregnant; that he had gotten a younger brother and sister; that he was, somewhat, a little worried over something.

“What are you worried about?” Lu Hao asked.

Hong Sheng looked over at Lu Hao from where they were sitting outside of their junior middle school. They were fourteen now, about to turn fifteen. This was the last year of their mandatory schooling, and the future ahead of them was vague and unknown.

Lu Hao knew that he would continue on to high school. He assumed that Hong Sheng would, too. That was how it was supposed to be. Lu Hao, Hong Sheng, and Lu Hao’s girlfriend and other friends, all staying together and living happily.

The thought of it made Lu Hao smile, and just then Lu Hao’s girlfriend left the school and waved at them from the gates.

Hong Sheng looked at her, then shifted his gaze away.

“It isn’t that important,” he said, but Lu Hao wasn’t paying attention, too busy receiving a hug from the girl in front of him.

A few months later, when school had finally ended and the villa that Lu Hao’s parents had bought had finally been finished, Lu Hao went over to Hong Sheng’s house to invite him over for the summer.

“He’s not here,” Hong Sheng’s step-mother said, and slammed the door in Lu Hao’s face.

Lu Hao stared blankly. But no matter how many times he banged on the door, no one would tell him where Hong Sheng had gone.

Hong Sheng had simply disappeared.

Arc 2, Prologue

It had been an ordinary day.

Three years had passed, and Lu Hao had started his first year of university. After finishing his classes late in the afternoon, Lu Hao returned to his dorm room to find his girlfriend, Xia Weiwei, waiting for him.

Lu Hao’s roommates grumbled, but after Weiwei cooked them a sumptuous dinner, their complaints subsided.

That evening, Lu Hao and Weiwei fooled around a bit before falling asleep together in bed.

It had been an absolutely ordinary day.

And then, deep in the night, when all were asleep and a thick blanket of clouds had rolled over the earth, a light sparked in the shadowed sky.

Similar to a flash of lightning, the strange red light illuminated the entire world for one brief moment. The red faded into darkness, leaving only the shadows of the clouds behind. The wind blew in circles, the clouds drifting heavily above a world that had just begun to change.

Far below this sky, in the specks on the Earth that were the bodies of human beings, a strange phenomenon began to unfold. People began twisting in their sleep, their insides roiling, the very cells inside of them churning and transforming. Their closed eyes snapped wide open, the whites around their pinprick pupils bleeding red from bursting capillaries. Their fingers and toes hooked into corpse-like claws, and their limbs froze with a pain and agony so great that when these suffering people screamed, the deathly sound of millions of cries rose and harmonized into a single haunting wail.

In Lu Hao’s narrow bed, two bodies thrashed in pain. Lu Hao awoke screaming, his body overheated and profusely sweating. He jackknifed upright, and after blinking his hazy eyes, he looked down at his tingling hands. His veins glowed beneath his skin, simmering like the embers of a fire. The unnatural light faded slowly, leaving his body as it seemed before.

But Lu Hao could tell something was different. His skin vibrated with a pulsing instinct to fight. His ears prickled from an overload of sound: car sirens from neighborhoods away, animals barking and screeching, running water left unattended. And from beside him, a wheezing, rattling sound.

Lu Hao looked over to see Xia Weiwei’s twisted figure reaching out to him, the bloody balls of her eyes running down her face as her skin began to droop and melt. Her teeth gleamed in the shadow of her wide open mouth, which issued a terrifying and inhuman squeal.

Lu Hao raised his hands to protect himself, and somehow a power rushed through him. The tips of his fingers crackled, and the next Lu Hao knew, he was alone on the bed.

On the floor was a smear. Ash and dust and a crimson stain that had been a person, once.

When he realized what had happened—not only in his dorm, but in the rest of the country and perhaps even the world as well—Lu Hao battled his way out of the university campus. The horrific remains of students milled in every hall and crawled in the darkness outside. The few people who hadn’t become monsters tried their best to flee, but it was nearly impossible to escape from this crowded campus. Lu Hao had only managed to rescue a handful of people, bringing them to the university’s car park. The group parted ways there. Lu Hao stole a dead man’s car and drove without rest to his parents’ home in F City.

His familiar hometown had become a nightmarish abyss. Streets he had run through as a child were now painted with bloody corpses. Grim specters of former friends and neighbors chased after his car, but their ambling and distorted limbs were too slow and clumsy to catch up.

Lu Hao parked in front of entryway to the gated community his parents lived in. The security guard was dead, a burst of red splattered over the window of the yellow-lit guard box. He couldn’t open the gate to pass through, so Lu Hao exited the car.

He took a look at the 2-meter tall gate and, after feeling some sense that he could pass it, began running forward. He quickly gained speed, faster than any normal human could, and at the pivotal moment he leaped. Lu Hao soared through the air, bypassing the 2-meter gate with ease and landing within the private circle of housing.

There was no one outside. The grand faces of the darkened mansions towered over the street. An eerie quiet permeated the air, only broken by the rustle of wind and the distant shrieks of humans and creatures beyond the gated walls. Though fear pressed against Lu Hao’s mind, an even stronger ferocity drove him to forward.

He rushed to his parents’ house.

All the lights were off, and Lu Hao heard only a faint dripping sound coming from inside.

A squirming and foreboding sense weighed in Lu Hao’s stomach. His footsteps faltered as he reached the front door. Though he kept no expression on his face, his hand trembled slightly while searching for the key in his pocket. Lu Hao forced his fingers to curl tightly, as if they were steel, around that small piece of metal. He pulled his hand out of his pocket and thrust the key into the lock, turning it without letting himself think. The sharp thunk of the lock sounded. Lu Hao opened the door, the heavy wood swinging open silently to reveal the dim foyer, lit only from the back by the pale blue moonlight.

Lu Hao stepped into the house, closing the door quietly behind him. He turned his head. His enhanced senses easily picked out every whisper of the trees and every brush of the grass, so he naturally could hear the faint and gasping wheezes of someone—a woman—upstairs.

His heart thumped painfully, and adrenaline pounded in his veins. Throwing away his caution, Lu Hao rushed up the stairs and toward the room where he heard those sounds—his parents’ bedroom.

The door had been left ajar. Lu Hao slid to a stop at the doorway, and froze.

A man’s body splayed across the bed. He was dressed only in a bare shirt and pants. His grey hair fanned out over the rumpled blankets, framing a pallid face that had been caught in an inhuman snarl. Nothing of Lu Hao’s kind and patient father could be seen in that monstrous creature, except for the glint of the pendant necklace wrapped around its neck. The silver chain cut into the bloated skin, pulled taut by the creature’s own hand.

Laying on the floor, huddled by the wall, was Lu Hao’s mother.

His eyes red, Lu Hao rushed to his mother and dropped to his knees beside her. “Ma!” he breathed, his eyes glistening as he reached out toward her.

Ma took a shaky breath, her fragile chest heaving under her pale nightdress. Her bruised eyes slid open to reveal a deep, unnatural shadow in her sockets. Black tears dripped onto her eyelashes before her eyes shut once more.

“Little Hao.” A ghost of a smile flitted across her lips. Even with the black staining the corners of her closed eyes, Lu Hao’s mother looked beautiful. She reached a hand up weakly, and Lu Hao caught it between his palms. Her skin was cold, her pulse nearly nonexistent. Lu Hao saw that her other arm, hanging limply at her side, bled from a sharp human bite. The veins in that arm had turned dark blue from infection.

Lu Hao ducked his head, his hair falling over his face.

“Shhh.” Ma knew what her son was thinking, of course. Even as her life slipped away, she knew. She would always know in her heart when her son needed her comfort. Her fingers slipped from Lu Hao’s grasp and touched his face, softly wiping at his tears. “Are you safe?” she asked, her rasping voice as bare as the skeleton of a leaf.

“Yes,” Lu Hao said, tightening his throat. “Ma… I’m sorry, Ma. I was too la—I should have—”

Ma stopped his words with her fingers. “You couldn’t have stopped it,” Ma said, a wry smile hooking at the corners of her lips. “Your Pa… something happened to him. He changed. But he—he tried to stop himself. He tried to save me.” Ma paused. Her eyebrows trembled, and for an instant her lips wobbled. But in the next instant she became serene. “Even if not,” she said, “I would stay with your father until the end. No matter what he became, he is… the man I love, after all. But I am… so—so happy that… you’re okay, Lu Hao.”

Ma’s breathing grew strained. She began slipping down, and Lu Hao hurriedly grasped her shoulder to stabilize her. “Ma—” His voice was wretched.

Even as she struggled to breathe, Ma put a smile on her face. “It’s okay. I’ll be… okay.” She brushed her fingers lightly along the curve of Lu Hao’s face, skimming across the droplets falling from his eyes.

Lu Hao held her hand, squeezing it with an aching grip as Ma gasped, her eyelashes fluttering.

“Little Hao… please keep yourself safe,” she whispered. Though her lips could barely move, her body was composed, her words calm and reassured. “Whatever happens… find a way to survive. If you can, please live a full and happy life. Find the person you will love with all your heart. And,” she paused, the movement of her chest growing ever fainter. “If you find little Sheng,” she said, her words growing weaker until they were barely puffs of air, “please protect him. He… he deserves…”

One more tear fell from her eyes at the thought of the second son she had taken in, but who had disappeared from her life without a single trace.

And as that tear burst against the floor, her life also ended.

Lu Hao sat there holding his mother’s hand for a long time.

He would think about her words over and over.

After this, Lu Hao wandered the city. He rescued some survivors—families and loners, strong and weak—and brought them to form a stronghold at his parents’ vacation villa. Lu Hao’s power was like a soaring bonfire; it burned away the evils and attracted people seeking salvation. The stronghold grew and became a fortress, and Lu Hao’s straggling survivors readied into the Survivor Guard. When the military finally acted, they recognized Lu Hao’s group as an independent force and formed a contract of alliance. The military would send supplies and survivors to Lu Hao if Lu Hao’s group would do missions for the military.

Like this, Lu Hao’s influence, reputation, and power swelled greater and greater.

Yet, still—

He thought about his mother’s words over and over.

Still, no matter how many people he rescued, and no matter how many women he dallied with, there were none who touched his heart.

It would take three more years for Lu Hao to begin taking steps to fulfilling his mother’s dying wishes. For three years later was when Lu Hao and Hong Sheng finally met again.

Author's Note

Er, so, it turns out that when I said "This story is in three parts!", what I meant was, "This story is divided in three arcs with a lot of extra stuff that I keep throwing on". If you've wandered onto my wattpad (which I've been silently updating), you'll have already read this part, but for those who haven't, this is the second half of the Childhood arc and the intermission/prologue to the First Life Apocalypse arc. I'm currently writing the meat of the second arc now. There's a lot of setup going on in there (and no BL...) so it will take some fiddling before it's ready to be released. It will introduce some significant female characters *cough*. This first life may be painful. I promise LH is 100% loyal in the second life, so please bear with it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  12. Corensi

Corensi Maiden of Purity

Reading List:
    Link
    Uwaaahhh I'm crying here! Their first lifetime was so beautiful...I can't wait to see how Lu Hao manages to get a harem when no one could touch his heart.

Thanks as always for the chapter! I love the way the words flow, and your style is immersive too. Keep up the good work!

Einon, XD and Ars like this.
  13. Hotarla

Reading List:
    Link
    Arssss, stop making me cry with your stories! TnT still, thanks for the update! Didn’t know about Wattpad so Imma go and follow you right now so I can get updates sooner lol.

Einon, XD and Ars like this.
  14. Ars

Ars Simple-Minded Trash

Reading List:
    Link
    *looks at you, looks at the story you're writing*
    I see you like pain... :blobconfounded:

There'll be no more tears after this, I swear!!! P-Probably!!

Einon and Corensi like this.
  15. Taida07

Taida07 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What?! Just how did I not find this any sooner?!?! I honestly can't express in words how amazing this! Beautifully written just won't suffice--it's undoubtedly better! Thank you so much for this!!!

Einon and Ars like this.
  16. GD2318

GD2318 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I request a link for your story in wattpad?

Ars likes this.
  17. Ars

Ars Simple-Minded Trash

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!! :blob_pompom::blob_pompom:

Of course! :blobhighfive: Here you go: https://www.wattpad.com/story/140308824-to-the-start-of-a-new-world

Einon, Taida07, GD2318 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Corensi

Corensi Maiden of Purity

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehehe, once an M, always an M. Let there be tears~!

Einon and Ars like this.
  19. GD2318

GD2318 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Einon and Ars like this.
  20. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    Just coming back from wattpad. I hope Lu Hao's mom and dad will be alright this time around because they love Hong Sheng like their son too.

Ars likes this.