Discussion BL random thoughts

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Raebit, Apr 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of BL revolve 'around ML', and the ML is easy to guessed too.
    In BL it feels obvious, and early..., and also it looks like rushed / ML looks very eager / thristy.
    Also ML is obvious, unlike straight romance, sometimes it is hard to guess which is the ML, is it A or B?
    Is this will be really developed to love or just teasing?

When I read BL there's a kinda troupe / plot, when it MC transmigrating to world C.
    Typical plot:
    1. Somehow in C the ML interested in MC then pursue / targeting. The ML so thristy.
    2. Somehow ML feels doki doki at early chap and go to pursue MC.
    3. The target who MC need to change is ML's fate (system)
    4. Somehow every person MC meet is ML (ML soul is seperated, MC be like gotta collect them all!).
    5. Always focusing on ML, no other person at all, only ML and MC, it seems like the world only belongs to those two. Like, why no other people MC be friend with???
    6. I'm (MC) and I'm gay, I want boyfriend (thristy MC). << many of them like this, I want new things.
    7. ML very cold but MC pops out of no where, then ML decide 'out of no where' pampered MC.

In normal romance they have not focusing on love / searching for boyfriend, they don't think about it, they just naturally fell in love with each other / step by step, well normal one do have the typical one "I'm 16 y.o, I want boyfriend".

Is there any BL not focusing on romance / ML?

Sigh I want BL focusing on plot, or slow romance BL.
    Or at least ML and MC not sooo thirsty.

You can add more troupe btw.

Fran.2424 likes this.
  2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't come across this in the bl that I read. maybe it's not as prominent to me.
    but I think the reason why the ml in bl is easy to guess is because it's not harem. I've read normal het novels a few years ago and I think the harem is what makes it hard to know the ml.

I think you should take a break from world hopping novels as the trope in that is usually ml falls deep in love immediately after meeting.

you can try It’s Not Easy Being a Master
    the story is different from the cliches in world hopping.

all in all, if you're looking for something better, don't read quick trans. the stories in it are usually fast paced and if not written well, may seem shallow

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  3. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    >.> uhm I skimmed through your post xD and there's quite a bit of slow romance bl isn't there? That focuses on the plot?

4. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you need to dive deeper and avoid episodic BL. Episodic BL are highly acclaimed and many try to repackage it. At the end of the story, people just want an OTP and a HE, if a protagonist was split amongst it's harem members, then it wouldn't be a HE but a tragedy. If you want slow vibes, I have "I Have Medicine" and "Master of Star Trading Game"; but if you feel as BL is too "tropey" explore outside and even usual romance or GL to cleanse your palette. They're are plenty of tragedy BL where it's truly a slow burn and a piece of work. Read tags to figure out what you like and try to read the reviews to see if the novel is as shallow as those tropes you're getting bored of. Avoiding reincarnation/system novels might be a better trick, but the two I recommend are slow and I also simply like fantasy(systems).

5. Monicas

Monicas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take a break from asian bl and try western novel by twisted hilarity (husbands for peace) or raythereign

Raebit and IrregularPerson like this.
  6. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    *laughs in gay*

I haven't come accross in what you're describing where ML is obvious, because 99% of them are slow romance or either ML shows up late. Also BL---> Boy's Love. Love--->Romance. Of course it gotta focus on the romance part la. If you don't want something focusing in them, I think I suggest not reading any story relating to romance
    Am I the only one who hates this trope in Het novels/manga/anime? Lol. Its not always. HET also has this trope where its easy yo identify who's who.

And btw, I think you need to avoid world-hopping novels for the time being. :blobxd:

Try BL which has gaming or e-sports or gamers tag.

7. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well true xD, but what I meant is in normal romance there's a subtle romance / not focused there, like focusing on plot first before the romance like Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, there is romance (Jinshi likes Maomao) but storywise, it isn't focusing on the romance part, or like detective conan, there is romance, but like focusing on mysteries solving more.

Ah I get it, like hoping this ship (otp) but end but with others (notp), the easy identify ML isn't bad, I don't hate it, but I want to see what if it's like, how will they excute it.

Thanks for advice!

8. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh! thanks for recommendation~!
    Where do you find western novel? wattpad?

Fran.2424 likes this.
  9. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Try God Level Summoner. They focused on the gaming, but of course there is a romance. Its like The King's Avatar, but BL version. That one is good, slow romance and MC is building up a new team.

Fran.2424 likes this.
  10. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read kinda many, at least 20+ BL.
    Yeah I'm agree, it is mostly shallow, one glance then 100% dedicated + obsessed, it isn't that I dislike it is fun to read it, just need a break (2).

Oh I read that one! it is good!

BL I like is transmigrate to rehabilating villain, and the masterpiece MDZS (romance is there, but it is slow, natural, and focused on plot).
    Love stop rumors is hilarious.

11. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes something like MDZS, or Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, there is romance (Jinshi likes Maomao) but storywise, it isn't focusing on the romance part, or like detective conan, there is romance, but like focusing on mysteries solving more.

Yes, tbh I read all of romance, gl bl and normal xD.
    I like I have medicine, the romance is subtle at early chap or haven't blossomed, which is rare.
    Too bad many BL are romanced focused, normal one has romantic sub-plot.
    MDZS early chap (haven't read the rest) is really good! it has hint in yi city and also when wwx it is introduced in slow way~ which is nice

IrregularPerson likes this.
  12. Chiisai-hime

Chiisai-hime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty hard to guess the ML in 'The Villains All Fell in Love with Me After Rebirth!'
    Everyone gets their own moments, and the characters all have their own interactions and thoughts, but the plot is more-or less romance focused since the MC is trying to pair other characters together.

The Earth is Online doesn't focus on romance too much as it's more adventure/problem solving than anything. It's slow burn as the characters warm up to each other gradually and don't get together until quite late in the series.

13. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm have you read earth is online, seizing dreams, I have medicine, 100k electrecutes you to death, and don't pickup boyfriends from a trashbin and other similar genres?(those are just from the top of my head haha)

I have seen a couple of the stories like you described but sadly I haven't finished them yet. Cause these type of stories are meant to be binged xD So yeah, the tropes you described are indeed common, but recently I have been seeing more deep and plot driven bl stories that are quite enjoyable. Maybe you could check one of those out. And the recs in their nu page can lead you to more similar stories.

14. Deleted member 234525

Deleted member 234525 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest reading Peach Blossom Debt for confusing MLs (can't link yet bc new account)
    Kaleidoscope Death is good too because it initially focuses on trying to survive first, but the fluffy moments are scattered here and there.

15. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    I like MDZS, Love Stops Rumours and Rehabilitating Villain too. Try Heaven Official's Blessing, it's beautiful! Also Assistant Architect (modern), romance is slow and super fluffy and mc has growth.

other good ones that focus on plot - Sha Po Lang, Guardian

16. Dudduls

Dudduls Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just use the shounen ai tag. Avoid quick transmigration for a change of pace.
    Nowadays i m reading
    The Husky and his white cat shizun
    Your distance

Tatoo is really nice too

17. Kuraichan

Kuraichan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ı have bl novel thats still ongoing in qidian though there is no romance to this date but its going good if you don't look at the comments you may not be able to find ml and the world is not revolving around them there are other side characters
    Haven Online
    and you can try tragedy genre most of them gets deep enough to make you cry

18. Fran.2424

Fran.2424 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.