Spoiler (BL) Scum Shou's survival guide

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Dragon_Reader, Nov 7, 2018.

1. cirrus74

cirrus74 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This one is less detailed.

- MC starts giving his food to two orphan children. ML finds out and kicks them out, saying he doesn’t have the right to give his food away. MC stops eating, ML force feeds him to keep him alive,
    - ML takes him to the slave market and MC’s sister is there. Threatens him with his sister’s life to behave and eat properly
    - Sister gets suspicious, barges in on them one day to find MC naked and kneeling in front of ML with a chain around his neck. When MC next visits she asks him to go away with her but he refuses. She throws the food he brought on the floor, saying using his body to exchange for food is dirty and tells him to get out, not to come back again.
    - HY and his subordinate sneak in and HY tries to kidnap MC. ML chases after and subordinate uses MC as a hostage while leading ML away so that HY can escape. ML subdues subordinate and retrieves MC. ML takes subordinate to zombie pit and tosses him in. Before he dies, he says that he was originally supposed to throw him in here and he really regrets not killing both him and MC at the time.
    - ML takes MC out to bait HY. HY attacks and they fight. HY tells ML that he had told subordinate to kill him but was overheard by MC. So MC wanted to save him and offered himself up, saying he didn’t want to see ML anymore, hoping this would keep him alive. He didn’t realise ML was in the next room and heard everything. HY saw through what he was trying to do but agreed anyway, after all throwing ML out of the base was as good as killing him. He also lied to ML that originally he was planning to let him go but MC wanted to kick him out of the base. HY’s one regret was not killing ML back then. Also, in those two years, MC has always been waiting for ML to return.
    - HY loses and waits for death. In the two years he’s been together with MC, he unexpectedly lost his heart. If he’s not able to kill ML today then the only thing he can do for MC is to tell the truth. HY’s people arrive and manage to save him and escape.
    - They’re back in the base but ML realised that he has destroyed his favourite person - MC is terrified of him. ML tells MC that he had overhears the words MC said to HY that night but he now knows he was only trying to save him. He apologises and says he still loves MC but MC doesn’t believe it, thinking it’s a trap. ML says MC is free, but again MC doesn’t dare to go. Eventually ML pretend throws him out, not daring to even give him any supplies so that it’s more believable. He does this because he wants MC fo be happy.
    - MC goes and lives with his sister who works in the hospital. Sister’s supervisor gives her some ‘benefits’ but actually it’s from ML. One day when MC and sister go to meet supervisor, ML is also there and everything is exposed. ML just wants to make their life a little better, he has no ulterior motives. But MC is still suspicious, rejecting his aid. ML decides not to appear in front of MC anymore. He goes out to hunt zombies more frequently and is more reckless, being injured seriously and nearly losing his life. One of his subordinates, Shi Yang, is worried about him.
    - MC is out disposing of zombie bodies (he works as cleanup on the base). When SY comes nearby he pretends to fall into this pit with a still alive zombie in it and is saved by SY. SY picks him up and tells MC that he doesn’t know what HY’s subordinate did to him that night he kicked him out - he broke his legs and then lured zombies over, he had no intention of letting him survice. ML lived miserably before SY and others found him. MC is shocked, ML had gone through so many horrible experiences, no wonder ML hated him.
    - SY tells him that ML still loved him, otherwise he would have directly killed him like what he did to HY’s subordinate, and tossed him into the zombie pit. SY asks him to go see ML. MC decides he doesn’t blame ML anymore. SY is happy and says ‘let’s go’ but MC says he’s misunderstood, that ML doesn’t need him and it is useless to go back. ML who has just rushed over after hearing that SY was going to look for MC, overhears MC and is heartbroken. ML turns and leaves.
    - ML improves conditions at the base, giving everyone more resources and raising points by 20% (actually it’s done for MC’s sake). However, doing this will deplete the base’s resources, they can only last 2 months. ML continues to change things, removing some of the privileges of the people with abilities and killed some of those who rebelled. Some of those who are dissatisfied leave. One day when ML is out he is ambushed by a rogue group and badly injured. MC is worried, wakes up in the middle of the night and ends up outside ML’s house. Zhao Jin (ML’s other subordinate) lets him in. ML is surprised that he came but feels that his existence is not so meaningless after all, he can at least give MC a better world to live in. This person’s heart is still so soft and kind, this world changed him, changed many people....but did not change MC
    - ML tells MC he is fine but MC sees the blood oozing out from his abdomen and cries. ML smiles and says that if MC hugs him, he will recover soon. MC approaches him and embraces him gently.
    - It’s CNY and MC feels sad thinking that it’s only him and sister, he misses ML. He looks outside and ML is standing at the door with food, looking embarrassed. They let ML in and serve him tea. 888 tells MC that HY will soon attack the base.
    - HY attacks the base and behind him is a sea of zombies that he and his men have attracted. As MC and his sister try to escape, she suddenly awakens a fire ability. They head towards ML. ML is fighting HY and another ability user (ZH). ML is badly wounded but manages to kill ZH and cut off one of HY’s hands. ML finishes HY off with a knife. He runs but is bitten by a zombie on the shoulder, he goes to his house and prepares to kill himself with a gun. At this moment MC arrives and shouts his name. ML comes out and tells him “I’m sorry, I can’t accompany you.” They realise that he’s been bitten.
    - 888 suggests that he just tells him he loves him and the mission will be complete. MC wants to save ML however, and asks 888 to give him a medicine to awaken abilities (but actually he just wants to feel what it’s like to have an ability). MC holds ML’s hands and there is a glow where they touch. Slowly all the wounds disappear from ML’s body.... and appears on MC’s instead. MC smiles and says he wanted to protect ML at least once. He can finally... protect him one time. He tells sister and ML to be good. His eyes close and he stops breathing.

Not sure if u wanna continue with the next spoiler. It’s kind of horrifying.

ML and sister and other survivors rebuild in a place in the mountains. ML lives alone in the cabin and only comes down to get fresh meat. We find that ML has been keeping zombie MC chained up inside and feeding him. He hugs MC even though bits are rotting off (>﹏<) and MC is just a mindless creature now.

I think I’m not going to bother with the rest of the Interstellar arc. Basically what you guys need to know is:

HIX is actually a planet but the humans don’t know this or where it is. MC injects a tracker into his blood, since HIX definitely wants to swallow him and reintegrate him with it’s body. Then using the tracker, the A001 base can fire it’s ultimate weapon and annihilate HIX. MC’s last words are ‘Be sure to win.’ Corson fires the superweapon, killing HIX and MC. The alien beasts scatter, no longer working with each other and are cut down by the humans. Humanity mourns Harvey as it had mourned Saan. Corson never leaves the frontier.

The end.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Pfuong, SourKandy, Kleep and 10 others like this.
  2. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the spoilers so far!! I’m diving into the raws~

Honestly while the MC is nowhere near a pinnacle of morality by any means, I don’t think the ML is 100% innocent and pitiful either. His line of thinking is absolutely not normal or mentally healthy (and often times is downright twisted), even for someone who’s been wronged. His pursuit of revenge goes overboard every time—that’s why everything ends up backfiring so massively.

The MC is one giant actor, but I don’t think he truly feels nothing for the ML’s incarnations. Like every great method actor, he genuinely does put a lot of himself into the character he’s playing. He kind of reminds me of Chu Muyun from Seven Men in that way.
    Plus he really did have to leave the ML—I’d say he had good intentions in trying to break it off so that the ML had a target to hate and blame for the break-up, instead of thinking it was somehow his own fault.
    Heck in some worlds, the initial ending he chose was one that fit the plot perfectly and was genuinely “in-character”.

MC never truly goes out of his way to screw over other people more than necessary. And just because he is living a lie doesn’t mean all the events in that world are lies. Good old Kantian morality—do the consequences outweigh the intentions?

No matter what, I love the delicious drama in this book, really feeds us sadistic readers (yummm)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Heungbo, Pfuong, SourKandy and 4 others like this.
  3. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I finished the novel! Whew~

The above list is in the correct order. Besides the Apocalypse arc at number 8, there’s just one last transmigration arc. This is the one teased at the beginning of the whole novel: “MC (Han Xu) is adopted by the businessman who killed his parents (named Shen Dayao), and falls in love with the businessman’s younger son ML (Shen Ye). MC discovers the truth that his parents were killed by Shen Dayao and wants revenge. He shoots ML but calls the emergency number to save him, and then MC himself is killed by Shen Dayao’s hired assassins immediately afterward.”
    “Ten years later, MC returns to this world to find a resurrection storyline! Yep, MC/Han Xu is resurrected 10 years later in a different man’s body. His main goal is exacting revenge on Shen Dayao, but he runs into Shen Ye and ends up being treated as a substitute by the latter. The blackened Shen Ye wants revenge on Han Xu but still loves him, so he does the usual Yandere shtick with MC. Finally he finds out the truth about Shen Dayao murdering MC’s parents, and his blackening level instantly drops by like 60 lol.”
    “MC tries to kill Shen Dayao but fails and is knocked comatose. Meanwhile, Shen Ye exposes the truth about his own father. When MC wakes up, he now has ‘amnesia’. Shen Ye lets him go, but the ‘amnesiac’ MC chases after him. The tragic ending is very similar to the Doctor!MC/Adoptive Son!ML arc—MC kills Shen Dayao for his final vengeance, then kills himself.”

———-

The final arc is set in the real world, where all the different ML personalities take turns rotating and interacting with an increasingly repentant MC.
    Believe me, I often found myself skipping over the MC-888 interactions so I could maintain immersion in that sweet sweet drama. But even so, I think the last arc did a good job fleshing our actual MC out as a person—up until this arc, we’ve honestly only seen the cruel puppet master side of him.
    MC is an actor in the real world who comes from a rich and loving family—he’s just a little spoiled, and is inherently a quite carefree/careless person who throws out brutally honest comments left and right. Everything he did was purely to help his ML in the real world wake up from a coma.
    He always treated those transmigrations as a game because he couldn’t afford to treat those worlds as real—he was always impatient to get back to the real world and help his ML. (In the very last chapter, he himself confesses everything to ML: he tried to hurry up the transmigration worlds because he was worried he would fall in love with these other personalities, and he wanted to remain loyal to “his” ML.)

When ML does wake up thanks to all of MC’s efforts, ML starts to cycle through all the various personalities. This makes MC finally realize: oh shit those worlds weren’t static games, the people in them were real living human beings. All his manipulations and games only ended up hurting his lover and himself.
    MC is honestly a pretty interesting and multifaceted character when we see him in the real world.... Amidst all his deceptive ruthlessness and deception, he does have a genuine heart and conscience. At one point he comments that for the person he loves, he could commit any crime and disregard all of humanity—which is kind of what he was doing in the transmigration worlds. He does feel guilt and regret at not giving the MLs a better ending, and tries to treat them with love and care this time around (especially poor Jiang Ci, the adoptive son! ML from the doctor/revenge arc).
    When 888 comes to the real world, even he recognizes MC isn’t actually complete and utter garbage lol.

Aaaanyway... after all the personalities rotate, guess who comes next? That’s right, it’s the Main System/Lord God/whatever it’s called. It/he is inherently an infinite emotionless existence, but when he tries to take his hand out of MC’s grasp, some things within himself stops him. Yep, all the personalities form a kind of council to argue with the Main System lol.
    There’s a bunch of hilarious scenes in the conversation between Main System and MC here. When the Main System confronts him about the whole multiple personalities thing, MC is so shameless he tackles ML and yells out “I love you!!!” Even the emotionless ruthless Lord God is like “wtf”.
    Then later on when the MC argues he had no choice, he blames everything on the Lord God (who he doesn’t know is the original ML). The Lord God is completely speechless. (To be fair, MC is kind of right.)
    Believing that MC doesn’t actually love ML, the Lord God brings MC to an enclosed house and chains him up, trying to try and scare him with the threat of “Mwahaha you say you love me, so now you’re stuck here forever with me”, only for MC’s true personality to show itself: he doesn’t mind at all LOL. He’s actually happy with this arrangement since he gets to be with ML, to be lazy, and to eat tons of free food LOL. MC even kisses him in gratitude, which makes the Lord God freeze up while all the other personalities of ML are like “wtf dude kiss him back”.

The Lord God shows him all his reality-warping infinite powers expecting the MC to be creeped out, but MC is super ecstatic and shamelessly proud of having such a powerful husband hahahahaha.

Honestly, looking back, MC’s odd/childish behavior and very strange lines of reasoning make him rather weird/annoying in the short bursts that we see that side of him surface during the transmigration worlds. But he’s honestly the perfect partner to someone like the Lord God.

EDIT: Aaanywayx2.... the Lord God tries to kill 888 for helping MC out, but MC protects 888. 888 reveals ML is the Lord God, to which MC does not react very well. MC gets mad and says something like “well then why the hell are you getting mad at me for deceiving those personalities, everything I did was for you (the real world ML)! All the harm I did was thanks to your rules too. How is that love? Hahaha as if a machine like you could love anything”
    ML/Lord God is ridiculously in denial about the concept that he could love MC, but when MC accuses him of being a machine incapable of love, he realizes he is feeling pain. Ahh, more angst~
    Lord God confronts Xie He (the guy who originally overthrew him and scattered his existence before), only for Xie He to use MC to threaten him. This gets ML to realize “yeah I do care about MC”. This newfound humanity finally gets him to sit down to bargain with Xie He.

Meanwhile when Xie He’s partner in crime comes by to “threaten” MC, there’s some absolutely hilarious scenes where the two become best drinking buddies lol. In the finale, the partner-in-crime threatens MC but ML takes the blow to protect him, showing that he does love the MC after all.

The ending is very sweet: MC and ML have a very nice heartfelt conversation about all the ways they’ve hurt each other but still love each other. MC proves he’s not that slag after all lol—he admits all his love for ML in all the worlds.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  4. JuuHachi

JuuHachi Be My Glucose Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    Iol lord god is an idiot if my man was like that I'd be like MC too hahahahaha

5. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I might as well give my general thoughts on this novel after finishing:

Honestly, I really really enjoyed this novel overall. I’m a huge sucker for the trope of “angst/abuse and then regretting everything afterwards when the truth is revealed”, so this novel really rung my bell. The key part is the “Regret”—mmmmmmm every time the ML’s like “what have I done???”, I was on the side drinking his tears hahahahaha. And I always enjoyed the brief bittersweet finale of each arc when all the misunderstandings were resolved and the MC+ML can briefly return to the love they used to have, until the tragic ending where the MC must leave. I know it’s cruel to give the ML that last hope, but I think I’d want that hope too :(

The writing was also smooth and nicely paced overall, some of the best angst I’ve ever seen mmmm delicious. Side characters usually got closure, every action had its deserved consequence, the characters did eventually talk out all their misunderstandings. I never felt bored, and was always on the edge of my seat to see what would happen next. Even though every arc had the same general outline (as was hilariously highlighted with emojis in an earlier post in this thread), the actual execution was always unique. Every arc kind of had its own theme and message, which kept everything nicely fresh.

Here are some of my thoughts/comments on each arc. (Yep my favorite arcs are definitely those where the MC did less wrong of course.)

1. Impoverished MC x President ML: Not my favorite arc since the whole cancer/illness thing is a pretty big cliche at this point. Still made me shed a few tears though cause my lacrimal glands are over sensitive.

2. President MC x Long-Lost Heir ML: Of note, I felt pretty sorry for the MC here since honestly, he didn’t do much wrong and tried to make amends at the start. It was an ugly break-up but definitely not deserving of that degree of revenge/Yandereness.

3. Minister MC x Emperor ML: I liked how in this arc, the MC really only felt mostly platonic affection towards ML. This MC also didn’t do much wrong. The ML was the one stubbornly stuck with the romantic entanglement that ended up destroying them both.

4. Doctor/Foster Dad MC x Foster Son ML: Wow this arc made me cry buckets ;___; In fact, probably my favorite writing in this novel is when the ML’s torment finally drives the MC insane, and through that insanity the truth is revealed. The main theme of this arc is the ugliness of the cycle of Revenge. In fact, the author even wrote a commentary discussing the difference between the MC’s response to becoming a victim, and the ML’s father’s response to becoming a victim. Both were twisted by their own pain and suffering. But the main thing that separated them was how the MC was capable of regret/remorse and was willing to let go, while the culprit father’s first response was to cover up his own wrongdoing and only “regret his wrongs because he was punished for them”.

5. Infected Traitor MC x Marshal ML: Probably my other favorite arc in this novel, tied with the previous one. The misunderstanding here is 100% reasonable and fitting for the setting and characters (compared to the other arcs which can sometimes be rather questionable and unrealistic). And this is extremely high praise considering I usually detest interstellar arcs. This MC is very pitiable and likeable <3 I’m a sucker for the whole fantasy trope of “born to be an inhuman monster yet yearns for humanity.”

6. Immortal Cultivator MC x Demon Lord ML: This arc and the Apocalypse one are probably the most similar, with the worst betrayals by MC and the most warped/twisted MLs. I did enjoy the undercurrents of Cultivation philosophy discussing how the MC attempted to rid himself of all emotions to pursue the Dao of the Heavens, but this was a mistake that ended up costing him and the ML everything. I also found the last part of this arc extremely bittersweet: when the ML finally casts off his position as the Demonic Lord, comes to his senses, takes the MC back to their original sect, and they return to being truly in love in the little time they have left together.

7. Adopted Nephew MC x Uncle ML: I liked how this arc analyzed the importance of trust in a relationship. I absolutely adored that delicious angsty moment where the MC found the truth and realized that all this time, the ML had been the one making things difficult for him so he had no choice but to turn to ML for help.

8. Apocalypse Arc with Slave MC x Betrayed Base Leader ML: this arc was pretty gosh-darn dark, but I still enjoyed it—again, saying a lot for someone who does not like apocalypse settings at all. This arc actively explored what it means to be strong, why one wants to be strong, and what one does with that strength.
    Like the Demonic cultivation world, the ML suffered a super bad betrayal here and subsequently blackened to the point where his personality was almost unrecognizable from the person he was before. Under his hand, the MC undergoes a whole spectrum of different tortures here and frankly “breaks” multiple times. At one point the MC calls out the ML as having turned even more twisted than Huo Yi, the villain that separated them in the first place. The angst just made it nicely satisfying when the ML realized what he had done: he had finally become strong enough to protect the one he loved, but he had forgotten why he became strong in the first place. In the end, he had used that strength to utterly ruin that love with his own two hands.
    Aaand I appreciated how the author put in lots of effort for them to go through a nice long slow-burn healing and reconciliation process. (Then of course that zombie ending was quite dark and twisted, but fit ML’s character and this setting)

9. Adopted Brother MC x Younger Brother ML: again touching on the same themes of revenge as Arc 4, but with the Resurrection twist + more of an “equal romantic” element than Arc 4’s familial love. I still like Arc 4 more though—I prefer the Insanity plot device over Amnesia lol.

My main complaints with this novel would probably be:

-On one hand, the interjections of MC being his true self and bickering with 888 were a little bit of a reprieve/refresher from the heavy angst. However, they definitely made MC come off as petty/selfish/manipulative. Plus occasionally MC would make a good point, and 888 would just insult/rag on him for it -__- Those sections broke the immersion to the point that whenever I saw a dialogue between MC and 888, I would try to skip past it. Luckily the final arc gave MC a chance at redeeming/explaining himself. MC’s relationship with 888 was also fleshed out to be more like “bickering between siblings”, so both parties came across as less assholish and more likeable.

-Some of the misunderstandings were a little too over dramatic for me. Ex: the illness in the first arc, the amnesia in the last arc.

-The author obviously loves the whole “CEO/president” trope lol since it felt like half the stories involved some kind of powerful company president. Bruh, there are more professions in this world than just president lol.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Nao Otosaka, Kleep, Pfuong and 8 others like this.
  6. KazeYuki

KazeYuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this a cross-over with the author's other novel: 攻略那个渣攻[快穿]? - (https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/capture-that-slag-gong.66347/, http://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=2938340)
    The main character in 攻略那个渣攻[快穿] is also called Xie He, and the partner in crime is Xie He's ML?

7. cirrus74

cirrus74 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Attica Well, I’m glad that he seems to have redeemed himself a little in the last arc. It somewhat explains his horrible attitude towards hurting people if he thinks nothing is real and everything is a game. Also, I hope he showed proper remorse once he found out those were actual people and not bits of data.

But anyways, I have dropped this one for another novel lol. Thank you for spoiling the last part! :)

8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I think it may be the same Xie He! I just started Scum Gong so I’m not too sure yet.

10. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Do reply when you are sure. Since it's not concrete, I'm removing the relation.

11. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I confirmed it—the two works are indeed in the shared universe. The Xie He and Lu Ting that appear in Scum Gong are the same that appear in Scum Shou. I guess Scum Shou would then be a sequel?

12. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    It's..weird to tag World(Universe) Hopping stories with Shared Universe. Going by the dates author posted her work, Scum Shou seems to be a sequel, but does it further develops from Slag Gong ending....not something I'd know without reading till end.

Meeh, NU has the Shared Universe tag anyway. When in doubt, generalize :blobhero:

Pfuong likes this.
  13. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking back, Scum Shou is indeed technically a sequel since its story is the direct result of what happened in Scum Gong.

However, the vast majority of what happens in Scum Shou does not show an obvious connection with Scum Gong (literally no signs until the final arc). You don’t need to have read Scum Gong to read this.

With these points in mind, Sequel is more accurate but Shared Universe is a simpler label that doesn’t spoil anything or give off the wrong impression.

Kleep likes this.
  14. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    That's usually called a Spin-off iinm

15. Guang_bao21

Guang_bao21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is my favorite even now. I read it again and again specially when I wanna get abused by the angst Wkwkwk

Blood A, Pfuong and wildthorn like this.
  16. Silver_Moon789

Silver_Moon789 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao I said I'd MTL this like two years ago but I only finished MTLing it now after dropping the MTL previously around the second or third arc. I didn't particularly like the ending though but I don't know it that's just me? Idk, it might have just been the MTLing but the ending was freakin weird and rushed and also lowkey making all the differing MLs actually as one whole new person felt off for me when I had gotten to really like some of them. Doesn't really help that I haven't read the previous novel to this so I don't really know who Xiao He and the Ling Ting(?) are. All the arcs were pretty well thought out and detailed with nice "plot twists" (like when the ML finds out how they were so wrong lmao) though I feel that they really need to calm down with all the over yanderey rapey ML because some of the arcs it didn't even make much sense (like Ming Chong goddamn calm down) which got in the way of enjoying the rest of the arc sometimes. All the arcs had a variety of how much I could accept the yandereness of the ML based on what the plot was and how yanderey the ML was in that arc so I definitely like some of the MLs more than the others. Kinda wish they did a lil more with the interstellar arc (like woah I didn't even see the Prince Sean(?) plot twist and I really wish we had a lil more time for that fact to sink in with the rest of that world). Probably my favorite arc tbh. Overall though I really liked the novel, it was a nice binge read.

Blood A likes this.
  17. tdwk

tdwk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just finished reading this. Most memorable moment was when Ye Ming realised that the pill that would save his boyfriend and he spent 8/9 worlds working towards was really just a malteser.

Blood A likes this.
  18. waraa

waraa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finished MTLing:blobparty::blobparty:... It was interesting to read this novel:notlikeblob::blobowoevil_horns:, but I almost got a heart attack at the beginning of the real-world arc when ML began changing:blobscream::blobwoah::sweating_profusely::blobastonished::bloboh:

Blood A likes this.
  19. Zayden

Zayden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Xian-laoshi

Xian-laoshi Teacher Hamsie Xian

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a hilarious, awesome summary. Thank youuu!