Spoiler (BL)The Male Wife

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Shivani, May 11, 2020.

1. Shivani

Shivani Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese name: 男妻
    NU link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-male-wife/
    Summary:
    Pei Cheng died without hearing “Dad” from the child he gave birth. Let alone seeing his nominal husband for once before his death.

After his rebirth, he was still the male wife of Jing second master, the chess piece of Pei family, and the ‘Dad’ of his child.

Please give spoiler :blobpeek::blobpeek:

yfndsh and zarya like this.
  2. zarya

zarya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone know if it's 1v1? Does the ML have any other concubines etc?

Also I saw the misunderstandings tag in NU? Can someone pls spoil

Shivani likes this.
  3. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Shivani likes this.
  4. HC

HC I eat, read, die

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the child their real son? yes, they treat him well in this timeline, but in the chapters i skimmed, they keep repeating how the child isnt as good-looking and intelligent as his parents? and how the parents dont feel that much affection? why the need to imply these things?

yfndsh, Shorng and Shivani like this.
  5. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    What about the affection between both MC and ML?

6. shikurai17

shikurai17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been mlting this fic. Pretty easy to understand. Currently at chapter 127.

Mc isn't the normal reborn parent. He's actually quite cold of a person. He does treat the son well, but doesn't dote on the son as much as other mcs in these types of novels would. Mc let's son be sticky, but there be times where mc was lazy or forgot about him.

Ml and mc are getting closer together, but not a lot of dog food. They're still trying to trust each other. Ml is very secretive, but doesn't outright lie to mc.

Mc just found out on who caused his death and his son's in the first life. It was Mc's father and ml's family. Mc is still not sure exactly which of the in-laws though. I'm curious about the ml. I'm wondering if he knew about the plan to kill mc in the first life. Ml in the first life didn't care about mc or their son. Only saw their son once when he was born and hasn't seen him years. Son was 4 years old when he died. I feel like Ml must have been aware. He's the type who has spies every where and is always a step a head everyone. For him not to know what was happening is hard to believe. Weirdly, mc hasn't once suspected the ml. Not even when mc finds out how tricky Ml is and how he suspects ml basically faking his illness.

yfndsh, Kleep, Lost Happiness and 2 others like this.
  7. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    :eek:It’s already 100+ chapters, but it seems like there’s no much progress?

8. kahokyu

kahokyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gave up on this around ch 80. There's nothing redeeming about any of the characters here. Which I'm putting down as due to the author's bad writing ability. It's basically scene after scene of typical rich family drama with zero personality to the main characters.

The evil first wife has much more character then both the MC or ML or their kid! You get her spiraling into despair about her husband that doesn't love or respect her, the mother in law that takes anger out on her, forces her to do things against her will 'for the family'. Literally every time the two show up together, there's always a line from husband going: she's acting stupid *frown*.

Compare that with ML and MC who basically consist of:

Ml = falling "sick" whenever he wants to be jealous angry at MC and hiding in his courtyard for a few days until MC comes over to visit and suddenly he's all good again. Showing "mysterious" hints he starting to like MC, but doing absolutely nothing to help him except in scenes where MC needs to be physically protected (from falling, ppl slapping him, etc. Like I get there this whole plot the author's trying to make of ML pretending to be sick so his evil family won't do worse things to him but like dude, zero responsibility to taking care of your wife or kid. I can only guess that eventually there may be a big reveal for ML's secret plan or whatever bc that's how these types of novels usually go, but so far it literally seems like ML is choosing to be disengaged with everything. Third bro is wierdly hung up "in love" with MC and creating drama so ppl start suspecting they're having an affair and ML does nothing except make snippy comments and jealous mood swings at MC. Even tho he knows the problem is with his brother and not MC. Suddenly decide on his own to have MC take responsibility of running his shops, and even tho MC doesn't want the hassle, he still decides it's MC's responsibility now! Son is pushed by another kid into lake, and MC wants to force grandmother to hold the other party accountable somehow. ML decides the best way to get revenge is to secretly have someone push the 6yr old kid into a lake a few days later! Wtf? Several months later, the kid is still bedridden and sick!

MC = there's suppose to be some kinda revenge plot but like all that really has happened is MC going around being snippy at everyone for being snippy at him.

Also, Son(4) gets into fight with cousin (6) and is beat up. MC decides revenge = borrow ML's child pusher secret servant to do something bad to cousin (what exactly I dunno, I stopped reading here). Wtf?? The kid is 6! ML is now suddenly against this (apparently now he doesn't approve of getting revenge on 6yr old kids), but after MC goes, "you're his father!" ML's onboard with the idea again. "I'm his parent, I need to protect my son" DOES NOT EQUAL adults getting revenge on young children wtf???

MC/ ML has made like 1% relationship progress from ch1 to now. Which basically means they go from, we're gonna pretend the other doesn't exist → we're very distrustful of each other but also acting like an awkward married couple only when it suits our(the plot) needs. MC I can get why he's actively reaching out to ML (cuz there's things he can't do if the ML isn't on board)

ML is angry whenever MC shows he doesn't care at all about ML, BUT WHY DO YOU EXPECT HIM TO. He's basically married, slept together on wedding night, and then ML has never cared or bothered or looked after MC since. MC exiled to live in side court= ML doesn't care. MC stayed there the rest of his life In the previous life. In the previous life, MC is framed for cheating by servant and is gonna be beaten to death. He sends letter to ML asking for help and is totally ignored.

Also the callous abuse of servants are a real turn off. Yes, this is typically how things are in historical time, servants =trash to rich ppl. But am I suppose to be rooting for our main characters that treat others like trash.

Ex. ML owns deed to a small restaurant gifted by late father. Suddenly decides he wants to give responsibility running it to MC (first bro has been doing all the work previously). They go examine restaurant and then fire the manager for giving the earnings to the first wife instead of ML.So.... If the first wife of family comes and orders manager to report the money to her, what is suppose to do? Say no and have her punish him?? It's not like ML has ever gone to even look or pay attention to this place and most likely would've continued not caring if the rebirth MC didn't show up. You cant expect ppl to be loyal to you if you don't take on your own responsibility.

There's a Cook at the restaurant since grandfather's time. They had an agreement about cook only making 5 servings of this specialn cake each day. MC likes it so ML demands he drop everything to make the cake, and fires him when he won't (also other reasons like him being super disrespectful but apparently the cake is the reason). Am I suppose to be on the ML's side here? What is this scene suppose to tell me about the ML???? Cuz what I got from it is nothing that leads me to like this ML.

Ex. Evil first wife sends 2 maids to serve/spy on their courtyard. MC acts as if they have a personal offense against him and once in a while makes threatening snips at one maid. Like dude, it's not her fault she's sold to work for evil lady and forced to come here. What's she suppose to do??? Not like you're doing anything to win anyone's good will.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    byunnie, alexfilia, HesheFell and 3 others like this.
  9. Zhen_Qing

Zhen_Qing <<Danmei Sect Temp. Summoner>>

Reading List:
    Link
    Sect Leader: @alexfilia
    @Aeli @aNonYm0U5 @azure_sea @Ami @Ashie @ahsudole @Ash Astin @AaronKing @aresk @Anra7777 @AimieNam1003 @Aforia @alaskapalaman @Alegria Jones @azinine @Aanudari1997
    @blaze27 @byebye @Boinkers @blues86 @bitterblackrabbit @byunnie
    @cici @clear @Corensi @ChuChi @Cohran @CrazedCookies @cheerydandan @curryninja @Cian-Chan @Cypress @chocolatechipcookie @Chenqing @cas_ciel21 @cahmil
    @DarkBlue @dustmite @dontwanttotell @DJdragone @Dayong9909 @DeanRae @darkchocolatesan @dreamxx @DhiVhi @Divyasingh1 @Deeee_1994
    @Ezralva @Ease @etern @EveningWind @Elestrea @Emaris @Epsea
    @ferrelrose @foxymirage @Food food @Fieyy-Qa @FFAx27 @FujoshiOnDuty @fox23 @frozenlimabeans @freezing-slowly @FanofLiterature @Ficklyfrim
    @GD2318 @GinDole @Grandia @GaiaJupiter @Gossymer @gnessa14 @Gaikmeg
    @Hotato @HesheFell @Haigi @Hatchy @Hasr11 @Haruka1409 @haweii @Hanaru @Hikari_Akari @hmudara @Helaine @hikaharu @Hikari111 @hiharu @Ha-Ha
    @iampsyx @imsodone @i_amhandsome @Inland @lykizan @lry93
    @jadelin @jyuuxvii @JadeBunny @Juria @JellyJellyFishy @Japorea @Julles
    @kiara8 @krrizis @Kittsune @kly @Kailyria20 @-kiai- @Kleep @kumquatsjingleheimer @K-ralara @Khysylia @KazeYuki @KuroBaraHime @Karry @Kaylee
    @ludagad @Luen @lalalyly @leva @Leir @Land of The Fallen @leedalys @Loriel @LavenderBlizzard @LiYao @li.king24 @Lisstr @Levanta @Lunnear @LoneSoul @lifeisbittersweet @Li hir @Lost Happiness @LUCKYRADHI @Lysanderayumi @lazykitty_99
    @MoMoePom @Matsurika @Misaki Yata @mereumsama @MikotoP @Matthew9999 @missycin @Miri-Bell @maya_sov @MidnightKaito @michoux @misminor @Moocakey @Moonlightlily13 @Misogi @midnight reader @Mnemosyne @maripants @mesoara @missbellatrix @MonoNoAware @Mookyulie
    @Novel otaku desu @Neelambori @NerdExpress @Nokiyoh @Nokita @Ninjagal @nixxara @Nami Heartfilia
    @Ozzieozz @oleti
    @PKitty @Popipopipoi @purple_mangosteen @pcheshire @psychobee @Pandababa @PurpleMousse @pocketbear @pongpilaipruk @Pomee
    @Queue
    @readerz @Rilise @Regalia1896 @Raneday @Raizendeville @Rabbitanairy @Ryss @Rurella @Rucce @RoseColouredSin @Rainess09 @RoyalRen @Raebit
    @scriptor @Sakhyu @SnowTime @SummerX @Shem @sinyueliang @smr85 @Shizun @ShenHua @Shizuka15 @Skyelyne @Selax @Shiina @Shizuka Mikki @SmilePlease @Sasakira @Storymonster @solomaize @Silver_Moon789 @Shigure Hakuya @Shionismad @shouahang58 @SecretLibrary @SeiraJLoyard @_seven_ @soie_yoie @Saikyi @savvyblue @ShiraAichan @sonzaishinai @Squirrel270 @SoothingLonesome @susanty.smile @Shivani @Sheri_Yui_Chan @Shorng
    @Toyo @Taida07 @theragingpanda @Tintl @ThePinkHotPot @TomiNdumplings @Till_IDie @Tsukkin @totoroteddy @thundersh @TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove @Triedtoeatfries
    @UpInTheAir @umekookii
    @Victuuri @vsukio @Vi.M @veihakase @Veedah
    @winter-t @Wildelily @WagKalimutan @waraa @wolf.prince @winterblossom @White Head Ice Prince
    @XD @xiin @xilainia @XiaoPingGuo @Xylia125 @xblkdragonx @xxiv @Xinyi2004
    @Yuslia @Yukki576 @YukiShiiro @Yuen @YaoiMom22 @YeYueLiang @yfndsh
    @Zennie_613 @zarya
    @324722 @2Bon2B

Shizuka15, Queue, ferrelrose and 4 others like this.
  10. Lost Happiness

Lost Happiness /╲/\╭ ✖ Д ✖ ╮/\╱\

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice, a spoiler. I'll likely read this then mtl because MC isn't to my likings. I'm hoping that changes.
    Maybe its because I've been pampered by doting MC who cares about their buns.
    I feel for the bun. He keeps getting the short end of the stick from where I stopped.

11. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve decided to not waste my time. I thought this would be to my liking but this story doesn’t seem to match with the summary.:sick:(n)

12. shikurai17

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm at chapter 217 and can't decide whether to continue or drop this novel. It's so long and another novel is taking my interest.

After chapter 127, the mc and ml relationship picks up and they started to get close. By chapter 217, they're declaring love. You find out around then, the ml was always been deeply obsessively in love with mc. I'm all like wah?! :blobastonished::blobconfused: Mc's feelings and progression in the relationship makes sense to me. On the other hand, the ml's feelings are like wah? When and where did all this love come from? :blobconfused::blobunsure::hmm:

When mc was just reborn, he didn't have any real feelings for ml. Mc decided to hug ml's thighs and get along better with him, which totally makes sense. Up to chapter 127, mc was basically all meh about ml. There were little hints that he might like ml, but not anything deep.

Ml had showed more hints that he likes mc. Ml tends to get jealous a lot, definitely whenever he sees mc interacting with ml's youngest brother. The brother has feelings for mc and mc treats the youngest brother well since the brother was the only one nice to him. Ml at one point decides to play jealous games with mc. There's a servant that's in love with ml, who helps ml establish a cockfighting ring. To make mc jealous, ml spends all day with the servant and has the servant stay in the ml's study all day. MC is annoyed cause he doesn't like to servant. Mc seems to get a little jealous, but doesn't reveal it to ml and just goes about his day. Servant crosses the line at one point and privately talks to mc and insults him. Ml somehow finds out and has the servant killed. Later that night, ml and mc have dinner together and later get a romantic vibe and sleeps with each other. :blobconfused: That event was so random to me. Seems to come out of no where. Next day, ml has mc's stuff moved to ml's courtyard. They've been living in separate courtyards and not even sleeping in the same room before this point. They're relationship start to speedily progress and ml is spoiling and pampering MC.

The next day, mc does something that kinda shows he's still a bit of a shit dad. It's the son's first day of school and mc forgot. He just stays in bed and sleeps the whole day without seeing the son off. I think he only remembers the son, when he comes back from school and seeks the mc out. Ml knew about the son, but didn't care cause ml never really cared about the son anyway.

Ml and mc break away from the main family and move to a small house of their own. Ml decides mc is going to take charge of the cockfighting business and take all the credit. Mc is like hell no, I just want to run my dim sum stores. MLT calls it dim sum, but it sounds more likely a bakery. Ml forces mc to anyway. You find out later why ml was so dead set on mc taking over and shows how much of a little shit ml is. When ml's father passed away, he gave ml 3 stores. Ml promptly neglects the stores and has the older brother take care of them. This is where kahokyu's spoiler of the brother's wife taking the money fit in. I don't blame her either. Her husband's doing all the work, why should any profits go to ml? ML took them back from the older brother when they spilt from the family. He goes on about how he's going to sell the stores for money and he doesn't like them. MC wanted to open a second dim sum store and asks if he can have one. Ml was like sure and tries to sell the other two. Mc is all happy and starts getting it ready for business. Turns out that there was a clause when the father gave the stores to ml. Ml can keep them only if he runs them as is and doesn't try to sell them. If he does, the stores goes back to the family. The family finds out and takes them back. Mc is like pissed as hell about this. Mc realizes that ml knew what was going to happen. Ml tries to have the cockfighting business to distract mc about the 3 stores. WTF? I don't get that logic. Mc gets over the anger and is like I don't care.

Later on, mc decides he really trust ml and doesn't want to lie indirectly to ml anymore. huh. Mc confesses to ml that he's reborn and tells him about what happened in the first life. Ml believes him and accepts it. Ml asks a really good question though. Ml asks where was he when all this is happening. Good question ml, cause that's what I was wondering the whole time too. Mc is all silent and was like I don't know. Ml tells mc to forget the past and that he's there for him now.

Ml remembers about a Taoist priest he had locked up in his secret torture dungeon. At one point the Taoist priest had showed up at the cockfighting place. He notices something is wrong with the MC's soul and starts making noise about it. ML had his guards kidnap the priest and lock him up. He realizes that the priest knows something is off about mc and decides to interrogate him. The idiot priest basically signs his life way. He tells ml that mc shouldn't be here and he'll send the mc soul back to where it belongs. Ml is like hell no and kills the priest. The priest is buried in an unmarked grave. The priest was supposed to meet with his fellow disciples and now their all looking for their missing dead friend.

Ml decides it's not good to stay in town and is like lets move to the capital city. Mc is like sure, when? ML is like, now. MC......are we in trouble? :blobunsure: Ml is like nope, just want to leave. :blobangel: Mc like suspicious, but whatever, don't care, let's go.

Once they get to the capital city, it gets more obvious that ml is richer and more powerful then he had let on. He can massacre a whole bunch of people and get away with it and ruins business completely. People are afraid of him. Ml reveals that before he married mc, he had basically recovered from his illness and secretly started all these lucrative business in the capital. Through their marriage, ml was faking how ill, powerless and poor he was. Mc is just like amazed and is all cool.

This part of the fic, is where my urge to grab mc and just smack him couple of times starts to boil over. When mc was reborn, he wanted revenge and to know the truth of why he was killed. In the first life, mc was married to ml for 10 years. Their son was consummated the on their first night and was 10 years old when they died. MC was living isolated with son in a poorly taken care of courtyard and was neglected and abused by the in-law and servants. Ml lived in a different courtyard and also ignored and never saw them. They been living like this for 10 yrs. One day MC was accused of infidelity and was beaten to death. The son tried to protect mc and was also killed. In second life, he finds out it was a scheme between the sister-in-law and his own father. The sil promised the father with business and raising the status of the father's family. Where was ml through all this? Ml was faking how ill and bedridden he was. Mc only saw ml a few times in the 10 yrs. I'm like, so ml had the power and money to take care of mc and son and let them live a good life. MC why aren't you getting that ml also was indirectly involved with your murder?! In the first life and when you were just reborn you didn't know. It starts getting even more obvious how preventable the tragedy in the 1st life was after finding out about the cockfighting business.

What kills me is that mc had a friend in the capital city. He visits the friend, who had investigated mc's husband. The friend basically reveals who the ml really is, his business and like are you sure you really want to stay with the ml? He's not good. Friend pointed out the obvious the ml could have broken away from the family and taken better care of mc and son this whole time. There was no reason to live in misery for 4 years. ( When MC was reborn, he had reborned 6 yrs before his death. Basically, it's been 4 yrs since he got married and had his son) Mc is like my trust in my friend is shattered! I can't be friends with this evil person anymore.

13. shikurai17

Reading List:
    Link
    Things get weird by now in the story. Those taoist priests that is looking for their missing dead disciple? They found his body and figure out ml was the murder. They find them in the capital city and kidnap mc when they realize he's reborn. They try to send him back into his 1st life, but realize b/c he's pregnant they can't. They don't hurt mc, just move around trying to avoid ml.

Around this time, off screen 1st life ml gets reborn. He realizes mc is reborn and son is still alive. He's desperate to find the kidnapped mc. Taoist priest ditch mc and run away for their lives. ML and mc are reunited. ML hides the fact he's reborn. He's afraid that mc will leave him, since mc loves 2nd life ml and not 1st life ml. MC finds out about ml being reborn. He's distant with ml because he believes that 1st life ml never loved mc. One of the taoist priest gives mc a jade. He accidentally bleeds onto the jade and goes unconscious. His soul get sent back to his 1st life, but his body is still alive in 2nd life. ML goes crazy and orders the massacre of the taoist priest sect and to find the cure for mc.

Mc is in spirit form in the 1st life and finds out what happened when he dies. ML was secretly in the capital city taking care of business when he finds out through his secret spies that mc and son was killed. He goes all crazy and gets revenge. He basically kills mc's family and kills his sil and completely ruins his family. Ml was in love with mc this whole time. He would secretly will visit mc when he sleeps. Will light a special incense at night so mc can sleep deeply and be well rested. He'll order his servants to secretly cool his room with ice during the summer. Ml will also secretly interact with his son and teach him martial arts. Ml found out that taoist priests has a spell that'll bring back the dead. He finds their secret hide out, hurts a good majority of them and forces them to bring mc back to life. This is the reason why mc ended up reborn. Now that mc finds out what happened, his soul ends up back into the 2nd life. Ml at this point had killed a lot of people. He took mc's body and son and is like lets go to a different kingdom? city? I can't tell. Obviously he's powerful and has a lucrative business there also. It takes 10 days for mc's soul to get back into his body. ML and mc is all like, I love you!

I'm like, where did ml's mad deep love come from? There would be certain chapters with ml's pov in the beginning of the novel. He clearly showed that he wasn't really in love with mc and hadn't seen him in years.

I stopped about here in the fic. Not sure if I really want to continue this. I'm basically losing interest. There's more events with the taoist priests, but i'm not liking how ml and mc are acting like the victims. They do shitty things to people and are all offended when they get called out on it. When they had first arrived at the capital city, mc opened another dimsum store. He remembered these snacks that gets really popular in the future. He had figured out the recipe in the first life, so started selling them in his stores. The original creator of these snacks finds out about it. The snacks were based on the original owners family recipe, so he's like pissed thinking mc stole them. Mc basically did in a way. Original owner confronts mc, but mc has no guilt and is like whatever. Ml then basically ruins original owner's business. I'm life you guys are thieves, there is no reason to do that. Fine, you can't be truthful of how you got the recipes for the snacks, but there is other ways to resolve this. You guys suck. :blobangery:

14. kahokyu

kahokyu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, I'm glad I dropped this before all this ridiculous extra drama. It's like the author was so busy trying to make up drama plot that he/she forgot to make the main characters likeable. Like, why do I want to read about selfish assholes ruining other people's lives!

Ixzah and HesheFell like this.
  15. shikurai17

Reading List:
    Link
    I really was enjoying this novel in the beginning. It was interesting reading about the cold-hearted MC trying to be a better parent to son, building a relationship with ml and solving the 1st life murder. I didn't even mind MC murdering some of the servants. It still made sense with the events that happened and mc's personality.

16. byunnie

byunnie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're all horrible..I hope all those people who got screwed over by them get systems and manage to counter attack.
    I understand the mc not wanting to be a parent but that's not a reason to be so shitty about this, the little bun didn't ask to be born, even after everything he spent 10 years of his first life in tragedy and even died trying to protect you can't you repay him even a little ?
    This mc-ml duo is the worst if i wanted to read about child neglect , random mass killings , and stealing from other people I would go read some het xianxia novel
    The mc was clearly indifferent about business considering how he acted when the whole cockfighting fiasco happened and then in the capital it's not like he's lacking money so I don't understand where this passion for dim sums came about. He didn't even compensate the original recipe holder who did nothing wrong for wanting the MC to stop using his family heirloom.

Ixzah and HesheFell like this.
  17. HesheFell

HesheFell [Out of Retirement] [Looking for Recs Everywhere]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. This thread.... it's like a signboard that says, "DON'T READ THIS BOOK!"
    I've successfully lost interest too.

sareenmomo likes this.