Spoiler BL To Have Nothing 一无所有

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by lailai, May 29, 2019.

1. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So thanks to @Wondy7, I read this.

Title: 一无所有 / To Have Nothing / I Have Nothing
    Author:
    凌鸾蝶笙
    Summary is above in the quote.

ML: Song Weilei
    MC: Yang Yi (really tragic backstory on how he got his name, basically means the numeral one)

Story starts with opening scene of ML coming to snatch MC’s five year old son away, who is actually the son of both of them because MC has a working female organs. ML is a total dick in here, using the excuse that his fiancée cannot get pregnant. Yang Yi begs please don’t take son away, and ML’s heart feels some hesitation but coldly leaves. MC realizes now that his son the only thing worth living for is gone, then he really has nothing.

Cue MC’s tragic backstory that came about due to his hermaphroditism, which shocked his mother silly and have her extreme hatred. Even the nursemaid abused him when she realized no one cared about him. When MC was brought back he was treated like a servant and wasn’t acknowledged.

Then he meets ML, who loves him and treats him well. This goes on for about 10 chapters, and if you can not cry reading this then you must have very strong tear ducts. But then ML does a crazy about face and throws away their ring and shouts abuse at MC.

Actually the five years ML and MC separates ML was sent to a gay treatment center in England when he was 17(?). All the tragedies was orchestrated by ML’s father, and ML just went along with it because he is powerless to go against his father. ML’s father believes as the parent a child can do whatever he wants as long as the child has a powerful backing, and was even prepared to handle worst case scenarios of his son killed someone, but is helpless against his son being gay. ML also realizes he lived a privileged life but in reality he has nothing, it is all his father’s.

ML tries to organize help for MC who has a sickly body that was never treated after he gave birth (his son is very sickly too) with his friend. He and his friend were trying to build his own company so he is strong enough and doesn’t have to be beholden to his father.

MC is tricked by ML’s father to pass drugs through customs, then gets caught. This causes ML to disavow his family but of course not strong enough to go against his dad. ML says, “You can either had one more son (MC) to the family, or lose the only son (ML)!” Dad says see if you can live without the family. MC’s illness acts up a few times. ML still loves MC, and concedes the truth, wanting to get back together. ML is glad MC never found another lover, else he would go crazy, and he believes very strongly MC has been waiting for him all this time. He asks if they can start over so he can be a father to their son.

MC rejects. If it wasn’t for ML coming back, MC would have stayed poor but happy with his son. And their son is only allowed to have one father, or else it would be bad for people to think he had two. MC pretty much understands society rules. ML goes crazy days he gave up his family, doesn’t have MC, how can that be a good thing. Son and ML’s friend walks in. Son sees ML holding the front of MC’s shirt and gets mad, saying ML is bad. ML’s friend says, you even got the kid mad at you, now what. ML stays at friend’s house and bets he will be able to change his mind and live with MC in one month.

End of chapter 22.

Edit: This is happy ending / HE! Ends celebrating Chinese New Year.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    soie_yoie, Ease, mereumsama and 12 others like this.
  2. Wondy7

Wondy7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah, thank you! I was pretty curious on what was its real name because in MTL it only appears as "Nothing"

You are reading it! :aww::aww: I like it a lot! There's a lot of drama and it does brings pain to the heart but I think it's a good story.

3. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn’t it? It is such a roller coaster. My feelings toward each character became so complex, going this way and that way. The author did an amazing job slowly revealing things, emotions, and motives. It is hard to complete hate anyone, but also hard to give anyone a free pass, even MC. Well, except little Beibei!

I didn’t really want to spoil the events when MC met ML and when they were forced apart. It is so heart wrenching. The author really built up this savior! And then crushes it brutally.

I actually misread the summary as a rebirth story, so I was really confused in first few chapters.

mereumsama likes this.
  4. morticia_addams

morticia_addams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did they get back together
    Get revenge on the dad parents or nayone that abused mc
    Sect pls! @Zhen_Qing

5. Zhen_Qing

Zhen_Qing <<Danmei Sect Temp. Summoner>>

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the poke, @morticia_addams
    Sect Leader: @alexfilia
    @Aeli @aNonYm0U5 @azure_sea @Ami @Ashie @ahsudole @Ash Astin @AaronKing @aresk @Anra7777 @AimieNam1003
    @blaze27 @byebye @Boinkers @blues86 @bitterblackrabbit @byunnie
    @cici @clear @Corensi @ChuChi @Cohran @CrazedCookies @cheerydandan @curryninja @Cian-Chan @Cypress
    @DarkBlue @dustmite @dontwanttotell @DJdragone @Dayong9909 @DeanRae @darkchocolatesan @dreamxx
    @Ezralva @Ease @etern @EveningWind @Elestrea
    @ferrelrose @foxymirage @Food food @Fieyy-Qa @FFAx27 @FujoshiOnDuty @fox23
    @GD2318 @GinDole @Grandia @GaiaJupiter @Gossymer
    @Hotato @HesheFell @Haigi @Hatchy @Hasr11 @Haruka1409 @haweii @Hanaru @Hikari_Akari @hmudara @Helaine @hikaharu @Hikari111
    @iampsyx @insteadofdeath @imsodone @i_amhandsome @Inland @lykizan
    @jadelin @jyuuxvii @JadeBunny @Juria @JellyJellyFishy @Japorea @Julles
    @kiara8 @krrizis @Kittsune @kly @Kailyria20 @-kiai- @Kleep @kumquatsjingleheimer @K-ralara @Khysylia @KazeYuki @KuroBaraHime @Karry
    @LaDyViL @ludagad @Luen @lalalyly @leva @Leir @Land of The Fallen @leedalys @Loriel @LavenderBlizzard @LiYao @li.king24 @Lisstr @Levanta @Lunnear @LoneSoul @lifeisbittersweet @Li hir @Lost Happiness
    @MoMoePom @Matsurika @Misaki Yata @mereumsama @MikotoP @Matthew9999 @missycin @Miri-Bell @maya_sov @MidnightKaito @michoux @misminor @Moocakey @Moonlightlily13 @Misogi @midnight reader @Mnemosyne @maripants @mesoara
    @Novel otaku desu @Neelambori @NerdExpress @Nokiyoh @Nokita @Ninjagal @nixxara @Nami Heartfilia
    @PKitty @Popipopipoi @purple_mangosteen @pcheshire @psychobee @Pandababa @PurpleMousse @pocketbear @pongpilaipruk
    @Queue
    @readerz @Rilise @Regalia1896 @Raneday @Raizendeville @Rabbitanairy @rainbowturtle @Ryss @Rurella @Rucce @RoseColouredSin @Rainess09
    @scriptor @Sakhyu @SnowTime @SummerX @Shem @sinyueliang @smr85 @Shizun @ShenHua @Shizuka15 @Skyelyne @Selax @Shiina @Shizuka Mikki @SmilePlease @Sasakira @Storymonster @solomaize @Silver_Moon789 @Shigure Hakuya @Shionismad @shouahang58 @SecretLibrary @SeiraJLoyard @_seven_ @soie_yoie @Saikyi @savvyblue @ShiraAichan @sonzaishinai @Squirrel270 @SoothingLonesome @susanty.smile
    @Toyo @Taida07 @theragingpanda @Tintl @ThePinkHotPot @TomiNdumplings @Till_IDie @Tsukkin @totoroteddy
    @UpInTheAir
    @Victuuri @vsukio @Vi.M @veihakase @Veedah
    @winter-t @Wildelily @WagKalimutan @waraa @wolf.prince @winterblossom @White Head Ice Prince
    @XD @xiin @xilainia @XiaoPingGuo @Xylia125
    @Yuslia @Yukki576 @YukiShiiro @Yuen
    @Zennie_613
    @324722

6. Zennie_613

Zennie_613 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another heart wrenching story :blobsob: omg... ...

TomiNdumplings likes this.
  7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. lykizan

lykizan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh my if this ends up being a BE i will sob

9. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    NO.....tragedy is a trauma for me...
    i'm gonna skip this

Mangafreakspark likes this.
  10. Queue

Queue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    UmU gonna leave this one for later reading...
    thanks for the spoilers and poke :*

11. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is tragedy because of the backstory of both MC and ML, their respective backstories and the backstory of the relationships during the five year time skip. And the pain as they try to move forward.

It is actually happy ending! I will update tags.

greedxed, Queue and susanty.smile like this.
  12. Kailyria20

Kailyria20 Perpetually distracted

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds too dramatic for me, starting off with child snatching, for w/e reason, and w/o explanation is too much imo...if he's doing that to hurt him, then he's a douche, if he's doing that for a good reason, then he's still a douche for not explaining it, taking a child away from the parent that raised them and especially carried and gave birth to that child is a really emotionally damaging thing to do, to parent and child.

sleepy_chelsy likes this.
  13. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what gay conversion therapy camps are like, but I found that tidbit, while repeated over and over, a bit glossed over. Other than saying, "mother Song" and ML hurt so badly, it glosses over the true harshness that these camps do. It did expose that ML held onto his love for MC the entire time, hoping MC is waiting for him. I am not willing to give a pass, but it does add an interesting aspect. I don't recall encountering any gay conversion camps in other Asian BL works, but is mentioned in a few Western movies/books. But ML acting so callously so he could successfully appease or even be undercover? Bad ML!

mereumsama likes this.
  14. Khysylia

Khysylia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the poke, will hide from this one; scared of tragedy labels XD

15. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds way too dramatic...pass......

And ml sounds like an idiot

16. Wondy7

Wondy7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's an explanation, he says that because he and his wife are still childless his dad wants MC's son. That's the explicit explanation but later on it's easy to see that if it wasn't done by ML it would have been done by ml's dad and that man is beyond horrible, awful, who knows what methods he would have used. For example, a few chapters later ML arranges the child's play time in a way that it would allow mc to see him from afar, but when his dad realize this he plotted against mc and almost made him go to jail. Besides if my memory doesn't fail me, after he found out about the relationship between the protagonists he said to ml that he would kill mc if he didn't break up with him.
    ML sin is being powerless against his dad.

I wouldn't say he is an idiot, he is mostly just a powerless guy that realized that everything he had wasn't his and instead it was his dad. He spent the last three years working none stop just to get his freedom and to be with mc.

But it is dramatic, but in a realistic way (?)

Ease, alexfilia, mereumsama and 3 others like this.
  17. lailai

lailai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, and this is why the title is about having nothing. MC learned early on he is worthless and has nothing nor even a family. ML had a happy childhood but realized it was all orchestrated and carefully cultivated by his father (which is his way of sowing love). So all the resources ML thought he had? None of them were his, and then he lost MC. ML therefore decided to step back and in the background work to prepare some kind of foundation free from his dad.

To be fair, each character was pretty complex. You start to wonder what is love, exactly? ML knew having a good backing was the only way win, but he had to lose MC first. He hoped that because ML never stopped loving Mc, then surely Mc was also waiting.

As for MC, he is pretty broken all this time from birth on, but he still moves forward. He understands that being gay is deviant and now that he has school? Better do his best to prepare his child. His son’s name isn’t Beibei (the bei part of baobei “treasure”; it means shell, which used to be a form of.currency/gold). His name actually implies his hopes for his son to be happy and strong in the future.

ML father is awful, but he thinks it is love. After all, we live in a society now where we are fighting for LGBT rights. But China is pretty strict culturally about it due to the desire to carry on the family name.

ML mother isn’t exactly a good person either, but she also loves her son. She has been wracked with guilt and pain seeing her son suffer, knowing why and for whom he is suffering. And she is also complicit in acquiescing with ML father schemes. But she also admits her wrongs and tries to support ML, MC, and little son. And she stays true to this change of heart.

This is a story about humans and love and the choices people make in life under the constraints they have. Could ML just toss away his family? Would ML father let him? ML waffled because he also cares for his father and mother, in spite of being re-educated and beaten for still loving MC. MC why didn’t he make more friends? Is it hard to make good friends in China? Otherwise he also made foolish choices due to his own inexperience. After all, how can you be wandering around China as a knocked up man? What resources are there for people in these situations? There is a reason why in novels you will see bystander characters notice other family’s problems but will not interfere unless there is already close friendship; you do not interfere with other family matters because not your business.

MC stays a soft person with a strong will, and he understands the difficulties ML faced, especially when it come to family. Hence MC never held it against ML, but wishes for peace without him ever again before and after learning ML’s intentions.

They do make up in the end. The last scene before extras is very heartwarming.

ahsudole, Ease, alexfilia and 2 others like this.
  18. Kailyria20

Kailyria20 Perpetually distracted

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm, it seems too dramatic in many ways than one, ML being completely molded to what his father wants him to do, even marrying someone else it seems and taking the baby and such...honestly i probably can't read this, i'd get too frustrated, i guess i've been spoiled by stories that do not reflect reality too closely when it comes to social issues in a closed-minded society, i understand this can probably happen in reality, but at the same time I have a hard time accepting one's parents would force their child to that point due to expectations and even for someone mistreat their child due to their abnormal physique...

Although asian societies do preach that one must be filial to one's parents before love but i believe that one shouldn't get to the point of forcing their child into the mold they want regardless of how much mental and physical abuse they have to inflict in order to have their way and one should protect their spouse and child, because the latter half of one's life is spent with them not one's parents imo.

sleepy_chelsy and Zhen_Qing like this.
  19. Wondy7

Wondy7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You shouldn't be mistaken, while I did say that ml is powerless again his dad I also mentioned how he spent the last three years working none stop to get freedom and be with mc.
    Ml was 17/18 years old when they got found out, he was a rich kid but was that money his? Besides when they were forced to break apart neither him or mc knew about the baby (mc only knew after he was sent to the hospital to give birth and that's the reason the baby was sick and has a weak body and ml probably knew after his dad told him to bring the child to him)

The last three years ml worked on his dad company and behind his dad back created his own company to be independent, his plan all along was that after stabilizing his own company he could retire from the family's one and then be together with mc without having to worry about how to survive or being unable to protect them from whatever actions his dad might do, because in that moment he would have his own power.

In real life is the same, if you are against someone powerful how can you beat them when you have nothing on your own? Rich people can get away with murder but can the poor people do the same?
    Also not all parents like their own child or care for them as they should. If people give up on a sick baby (like with down syndrome) why wouldn't they do it with a hermaphrodite baby? Humans can be quite heartless and selfish, so in this case it's not about their race but rather their nature.

I respect you opinion, I just wanted to explain these points.
    I also know that this story isnt really for everyone so I'm not in anyway trying to force you or (someone else) to change your mind

Ease, alexfilia and Zhen_Qing like this.
  20. Wondy7

Wondy7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a simple reader in this story the excuse that mc being a hermaphrodite made his mom develop a mental problem was a nonsense to me because after three years his parents had a baby girl. I don't understand how would the mother carry out another pregnancy, like wouldn't she fear that she will gave birth to another hermaphrodite like mc?
    I think the mom had a slightly mental problem already but she as well as her husband, took the chance and blame everything on baby mc when he could have been just a trigger. The father was the worst though, he justified his abandonment to mc by "I love my wife so I must do everything she says" when in reality he disliked mc condition too. He didn't do a thing to let her surpass her irrational hate towards mc (she only interacted with him three times directly and one indirectly).
    Something that wasn't spoiled is that there's a side couple between ml's friend and a CEO from another company.

At first the friend forced his way into the CEO's life because ml send him in order to get an important deal for new company. Because he is quite naive in his actions he earnestly followed the CEO until he agreed with the deal, but by that time all his actions could have been interpreted as flirting/pursuit too.

The CEO was gay but the the friend didn't know it until he kissed him and told him.
    After that he went to search the CEO, gave him a kiss and said that he will be responsible for him

From MTL:
    "You cook so delicious. If you have a bed, you don't want to abandon me. I am waiting for you at your door. You won't let me in, even if you are upset or let I am going in, even if I am in your bed the next day, you will not drive me away, but also help me wash clothes, I am injured, you help me to take medicine, you look good and have money, where can such a good person go? ......"
      Lv Yingzhen said in a tear on his nose. "My mother said that people like me can't get a wife. I am so worried. I didn't think she said it was true. Mom said that if a met a good person I have to catch up quickly. If you are such a good person, I can’t stand it. I have to cherish it."

But they break apart for a time because the friend took a photo of CEO while he thought he was sleeping, but he wasn't and reacted in a negative way to the photo. The strong reaction was because the first boyfriend of the CEO sold his photos to the press to get money for his wedding, so he thought that all this time the friend was playing with him to do the same. (Friend only wanted to have a wall full of photos of them like mc and ml)

They get back together and in some extras the ex-boyfriend calls the friend and tell him all the things that the CEO likes. Of course the ex was lying and he actually told him all the things the CEO disliked, when he realized his own stupidity the friend asked the CEO about it and he answers that he didn't like those things before and that it also depends on the person. The friend then thinks that they will be together until he is 80 and the CEO 100.

In a previous extra the friend makes a dream in where he gets pregnant but he doesn't get the chance to see the baby face because the CEO wakes him up. He gets mad and spend the day in a low mood, but when the ml ask him about it the CEO answers that he has post partum depression :D:ROFLMAO:

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Ease, alexfilia and Zhen_Qing like this.