Novel B.D.R. -Blade Duel Rondo- (temp.) (Semi-hold)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Hokuou Tenrou, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Hokuou Tenrou

Hokuou Tenrou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea on how the side-project will turn out. For now, I'll churn more parts as long as possible.

---------

Also readable at https://hokuoutenrou.wordpress.com/ and Scribblehub

(Alt title: 決闘学園の狂狼戦士(ウルフヘジン) (Kettou Gakuen no Kyourou Senshi (Urufuhejin), The Ulfhedinn of Dueling School)
    (Formerly Blade Dance Ritual)

Synopsis:
    In the future, where magitek is a part of daily life and dueling is a popular sport, one boy from a remote village in Iceland entered the most prestigious Duel Academy, hoping to see the world and be the best, strongest duelist ever.
    En garde, and enjoy… a light-hearted story with a side dish of actual duels?

Genre: Action, fantasy, slice-of-life

Schedule: Irregular. May take a week at best, but most likely more.

Influences: Walkure Romanze, Unionism Quartet, Seikishi Melty Lovers, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Infinite Stratos, among others

"Why?":
    When I was younger, I had a certain disdain towards the usual magic-battle school LNs. As I grew older though, it becomes my guilty pleasure instead, since there ought to be a favorite girl from certain series. But there's another problem: either my fav girl didn't/has no chance to win, or it's a harem but I only care about one particular heroine. So I thought "Why don't I write my own series where my type of girl is the flagship main heroine?". And thus, my own attempt at web novel. (Some say that just because you have ideas, doesn't mean you should write it, but eh. Better to regret doing something than regret doing nothing).
    So, is this a parody? Could be, could be not. I do play or even mock 'tropes' I don't like, while amping up the ones I like, though. To put it simply, it's more of a 'I write what I like' story.

Notes: Expect grammatical errors, so feel free to fire on your criticism and review. Oh, and gratuitous (and possibly pretentious) amount of Norse/Celtic/Euro myths and extreme metal references.

Table of Contents
    Prologue: 2117 (Einvígi á Atlantic)
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Chapter 1: A Circle of Duelists Gathered Around the Oaken Table
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Part 11
    Chapter 2: Baptized in Sun Ray and Spring Air
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Part 11
    Part 12
    Chapter 3: One Flight from Heimriki
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Chapter 4: Dawn Before the Restless Tide
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Part 11
    Part 12
    Part 13
    Part 14
    Part 15
    Part 16
    Chapter 5: Blod Eld Daud: Fire Meets Ice, Part 1
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Part 11
    Part 12
    Part 13
    Part 14
    Part 15
    Part 16
    Chapter 6: Blod Eld Daud: Fire Meets Ice, Part 2
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Part 11
    Part 12
    Part 13
    Part 14
    Part 15
    Chapter 7: Wolf Days
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Part 11
    Extra
    Extra: Minato

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  2. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Prologue: 2117 (Einvígi á Atlantic)
    Part 1
    “Atlantic Academy Station. We are arriving at Atlantic Academy Station. Please check—“

Awakened from his nap by the announcement, Sigulf Hrimgard quickly stood up while making sure his relatively light belonging is still intact.

‘Mm. All’s good.’

Done with that, he took a quick glance of his surrounding. Boys and girls around his age, preparing to drop off at the same destination as his.

“We have arrived at the Atlantic Academy Station. Please watch your step. Thank you for using the Ocean Liner, and have a nice day!”

As he steps out, a sudden Atlantic breeze passed by, as if to welcome the young, hopeful duelists-to-be. The air, he noted, is a bit warmer compared to his hometown back on Iceland. Sigulf then quickly moved a bit to secure a safe spot, so that he won’t obstruct the people behind.

“Well, here I am.” He mumbled to himself.

Now with a better look of his surroundings, Sigulf noticed the dome far deep in the middle of island, which is probably the arena itself. Surrounding it are most likely the training facilities, the learning institutes, the residential districts, and the entertainment square, which reaches as far as the station he’s currently in. Along the way, he also noticed the presence of flags, banners, and logos from the sponsors.

“The lightning over the mountains… That’s the… Olympia? The raven and spear over there… Most likely the Bartram Family. Hmm…”

Far in the horizons, he saw what appears to be a small fleet of personal carriers.

‘Probably someone related to the sponsors… Oh, wait, can’t stand here all day. Better get moving.’

Adjusting his shoulder-slung bag, Sigulf walks once more, being amused at what the entertainment square has to offer.

———

Despite its overly simplistic name, Atlantic Academy is the to-go place for aspiring young duelists all over the world. The name itself came after petty disagreements between its multi-national backers; some wanted Valhalla, another wanted Ares’, yet another – despite being Japanese – wanted either Camelot, Avalon, or Logres. Thus, the current name was picked for potentially being more neutral.

The Academy was built on top of an artificial island floating in the North Atlantic Ocean. While there exists other means of transportation, the one that is iconic to this Academy is the ocean-crossing, magitek-powered bullet train; the Ocean Liner.

In this academy, duelists-to-be will be taught and trained on a 5 days a week schedule over the course of 3 years. While graduates are free to decide what to do with their own future, most of talented alumni are usually being scouted by the most prestigious Pro Dueling Clubs of the world.

———

Somewhere along the road between the residential and entertainment areas, Sigulf was sitting alone on bench, munching his crepe; he wasn’t particularly hungry, but all the nice scents from the stalls tempted him to try a bite. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a particularly quiet experience either. Nearby, a group of mobs is gathering for some reason.

“Ooh! I, is that…!?” one of the mob said in disbelief.

“What’s with the commotion?” Sigulf wondered aloud as he trailed the mobs’ point of interest.

There, a girl with bright pink twintails passed by, followed by her bodyguards. The mobs got even more crowded.

“It’s her! The heiress of the Olympia!” one of the guys shouted.

‘Olympia…? Aah, I see. The wealthy family based in Athens.’

“I can’t believe she’s going to be a trainee on the same academy with us!” another shouted with soon followed by a loud cheering.

“You must’ve heard about her skills then, right!? I heard she’s really good with the rapier!” yet another added enthusiastically.

‘Huh? I think I didn’t see her during the exams. Probably scholarship, or special invitation then.’

The girl smiled slightly without replying and keep walking, until—

“Watch out!” an unknown boy’s voice called out.

Bump.

“Kyah!?” The girl fell flat on her bottoms.

“Aah, I’m sorry! Are you alright!” the boy, sounds concerned, extended his arms.

The ‘culprit’ looks like… a normal Japanese boy. Though somehow, Sigulf’s instincts refused to think that this boy is ordinary. In any case, the girl seems not to be appreciating the gesture.

“H, how dare you humiliate me like this!”

“Eh…?”

‘Wait, what? So she’s like that, huh.’

“Get away from me! I can stand by myself!”

The boy reluctantly backed away from the furious girl, who then dusts off her skirt. Meanwhile, her bodyguards are standing nearby.

“Hmph! At the very least, you have the dignity to apologize! But, still! I, Eurypha Remi Garnetia Hestianus, will not forget this! Guards! Let’s go!”

As Eurypha stormed off, the mobs began to disperse as well, with most of them grumbling because the Japanese boy ruined their fun.

“E, eh? Why did she get mad?”

“I wonder…” Sigulf chimed in, which surprised the boy a bit.

“Oh, sorry. Didn’t mean to. Anyways, is that yours?” Sigulf pointed to what seems to be a handkerchief, lying on the ground. The boy took a closer look.

“This is… Ah, this must be hers!” the boy picked the handkerchief up. “Thanks for telling me! I’ll return this to her!”

“Oh, yeah sure.”

The boy waved and left Sigulf, running towards the dorm area. Sigulf simply finished his crepe and checked his clock. It’s still nowhere near midday, yet all of this made him a little bit tired. He shrugged and decided to head to the dorm as well.

———

After he got his keys, checked the AC/heater, bathroom, stove, and fridge, Sigulf immediately dived face-first into the bed.

“Aaah… So comfy…” he mumbled. “Maybe I should take a short nap before a bit exploring. What was the curfew again… 7? 8?”

But alas, it’s not even 30 minutes in, and yet there’s another commotion outside.

“Dear Angrboda… Now what?”

Opening his door, a group of boys are seemingly talking about the fuss. Sigulf decided to eavesdrop.

“Wait, so you’re saying Miss Eurypha challenged that dude to a duel!? And it’s not even the official 1st day!”

“That was what I said from the first time, you idiot!”

“Even worse! Apparently that bastard walked in on her changing!”

That last one made Sigulf nearly faceplanted.

‘Wait— How—‘

“Unforgivable! Let’s go cheer on Miss Eurypha then!”

“Yeah! Let’s see her burn him to crisp!”

“How dare he peek on her before us!”

The group soon left for the main square. Meanwhile Sigulf was pondering what to do next.

‘Sounds like a petty quarrel to me. But still… If it’s a true duel, then they are supposed to accept it and go all out, right? Well, if they adhere to Knight’s Code of Honor anyways… Alright, consider this spying for information then.’

With that, Sigulf locks his room and heads outside to join the crowd.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    AardwarkThe2nd likes this.
  3. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2
    As Sigulf reached the main square, it was already crowded enough that he has no choice but to climb the nearest, sturdiest-looking tree. Luckily, it wasn’t that far from the duel itself.

Meanwhile, on the center of attention, Eurypha predictably looked furious, itching to summon her rapier already. On the other hand, the Japanese boy looked uncertain.

“Must we really do this? I, I mean, I’m really sorry—“

“Silence! I was looking to overlook your earlier impudence, but you… You… Walked in just like that…!! There’s no way I’ll forgive you!!”

“So she said.” A slightly bigger boy with a spiky hair said. He seems to be the unofficial judge for this duel. “A’ight, now before long, let’s get started, shall we? Eurypha Remi Garnetia Hestianus! Versuuuuuus… Uhh, what’s your name again?”

“Amakawa. Minato Amakawa.”

“Minato Amakawa! Now your oaths—“

“No need for that! Let’s just start already!” Eurypha barked impatiently.

“Ooh, scary. Well, you heard her. Now, get ready—“

With the boy’s cue, Eurypha calms down a bit. She closed her eyes and began chanting. Blaze-like red aura formed around her.

“O Flames of the Goddess, overwhelm my foes and blaze my path to victory! Dance, Eos!!”

As the flaming red aura dissipates, a crimson, ornate rapier materialized in Eurypha’s right hand. The audience was particularly impressed by the display.

‘Flame, huh.’ Sigulf mused. ‘So it’s the matter of who strike first harder. As for him…’

Minato however was seems to be in awe.

“Beautiful…” was all he said.

“H, huh!? W, what are you saying, you idiot!? J, just hurry up and summon your weapon already!!”

“Eeh!? But it’s true! That was a beautiful summoning! I can’t help but to be moved!”

Short silence falls before Eurypha screeched, “Aaaargh! Just get on it already!”

The judge is trying to suppress his snicker, “C’mon, dude. You don’t wanna waste the time.”

Minato sighed, “Right, I’m sorry. Well then…”

He then closed his eyes and began chanting as well. This time, though, instead of visible aura, it’s as if he summoned a gust of wind.

‘Could it be…?’ Sigulf thought.

“Descending from the Heavens to join the Earth, be the power beyond victory! Lend me your everything, Sky Fencer!”

In his right hand, a longsword materialized. It was bigger than the norm, yet compact enough to be wielded one-hand. Still, the crowd was somehow underwhelmed, while Eurypha didn’t say a word.

‘Non-elemental… In other words, no counter-affinity against the other. No obvious strength nor weakness. This is down to pure skill then…’

The two fell silent, staring intensely at each other, until—

“FIGHT!!”

Without any hesitation, Eurypha quickly lunged towards Minato. She’s clearly the faster of the two, and within the blink of eye, she already launched a series of thrusts.

“Take this!!”

Barely reacted in time, Minato managed to block her attacks.

“What!? Kh…!”

Eurypha jumped away to evade Minato’s counter; as fast as his attacks are, Eurypha’s footwork is still even quicker.

“My turn, then!” Minato charged, raised his sword, and swung with such a force. Again, she managed to dodge, yet there’s no time to return the attack either.

‘He’s fast!’ Eurypha thought. ‘But, I can’t keep dodging like this! I have to make an opening somehow…!’

Swing after swing, Minato still hasn’t managed to hit Eurypha, until—

“There!” Minato swung horizontally, aiming for her legs. But…

“No, you’re not!” Eurypha jumped towards Minato and aimed her kick towards his chest, only to be blocked with his free hand at the last minute.

“Guh…!”

Using his arm, Eurypha bounced back, and once again charged with her relentless thrusts.

‘Right… I shouldn’t back off earlier. Just keep attacking and don’t give him a chance to rest!’

Metal clanging fills the air as Minato once again forced to go defensive.

‘Good! Keep the pressure, tire him out, and then—‘

Eurypha took a small sidestep all of a sudden, before launching a powerful single thrust.

“THERE!!”

“!!”

Again, Minato evaded at the last moment.

‘He managed to dodge that too!?’

Eurypha brakes and turned around. Her attack merely grazed his left arm; the damage was clearly minimal. Even worse, she then realized that somehow Minato managed to get few of her hair strands.

‘He did it in such tight window! How—‘

“Minato Amakawa…! Who are you, really?”

“I’m just normal boy…? I mean, I was—“

‘No, you aren’t. There’s no way an ordinary guy could move like that.’ Sigulf mentally chimed. At the very least, he must have done some training in kendo.

“Also, Princess…”

“P, Princess!? Who are you calling Princess, y-you idiot!?”

“Eh!? Sorry, I thought you are one… A, anyways, I’m really sorry for… What happened this morning. And… I’m sorry I didn’t give my everything from the beginning.”

“So you did look down on me.”

“No! It’s just… I don’t want to accidentally hurt anyone. But it seems my worry was for naught. You are indeed strong. And I… I want to win. Just like everyone, I want to be the best!”

The last statement caught everyone’s attention, Sigulf included.

“Hmph, fair enough.” Eurypha replied. “I’ll confess as well, that I didn’t give my everything. I thought I could knock you down in one strike like everyone else. But here you are, still standing before me. So, Minato Amakawa! I’ll strike with all my might! And in return, show me everything what you have!”

“Princess… Thank you!”

“…why are you thanking me? A, and stop calling me Princess, i-idiot!”

Eurypha returned to her stance while Minato changed his. Holding his sword with both his hands, the Sky Fencer suddenly starts to glow.

‘This is…’

Some of the mechanical parts detached and then slides outwards, making it looks bigger than before.

“Have at you!”

“I won’t lose!”

Both Minato and Eurypha steeled themselves to clash once again when—

“Stop it right there, both of you!!”

A loud man’s voice boomed from the other side. There, a blonde man clad in uniform stands with his arms crossed. Clearly he’s displeased with the sight before him.

“Crap, it’s the T!” the unofficial judge gasped.

“It’s not even the first day, and you already fighting among each other? You’ll have plenty of time for it during the next 3 years, don’t worry. But now is NOT the time!!”
    Everyone went dead silent.

“Everybody clear? Good. Now, go back to your previous business. Amakawa, Hestianus, I’ll be seeing you soon at the faculty office. And you, the white hair from the tree! Stay right there.”

‘He noticed? Shit, I hope it’s nothing big…’

Finally the gathering crowds soon dispersed, mostly dissatisfied with what happened. Minato and Eurypha went towards the faculty, half-heartedly. Now it’s only Sigulf and the blonde teacher. The teacher approached him.

“Is there something you need, Sir?”

“Hmm…” the man didn’t reply as he simply eyed Sigulf.

“Uhh, Sir?” Sigulf getting a bit uncomfortable.

“I presume you are Hrimgard?” the teacher finally replied.

“How— Oh, I see. Master did say something about this…”

“Oh? Would you tell me then, what did she said?”

‘Well shit. There’s no way I’m gonna tell that Master called him “cute”. True, he’s a bit young for a teacher, but still. I don’t really understand women…’

“She said she got a good friend there. His name is—“

“Eliot Fortier. I see. A ‘good friend’, huh.” Eliot’s expression shifted slightly, though Sigulf couldn’t really read the meaning.

“Sir Fortier?”

“Ah, it’s nothing. If you have the chance, give her my… Regards.”

“Oh, sure. Anything else, Sir?”

“Oh, I forgot. I won’t punish you, just like the other spectators… Just for this time. Otherwise, you better report if things like this happened again. Are we clear?”

‘He’s back to business…’

“…yes, Sir. I’m sorry.”

“Good, now you’re free. Dismissed!”

Finally parting from Eliot, Sigulf sighed out of relief.

‘That was mentally tiring… And now I’m not sleepy anymore.’ Sigulf checked his clock and then his surrounding.

‘I still got plenty of time, huh. Well, let’s tire myself out in the entertainment area, then.’

4. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 3
    It’s lunch time, and Sigulf found himself once again sitting alone in a cafeteria. He’s done checking some of the bookstores, movies, and game centers, content that the weekends won’t be boring at least.

‘They really go all out with the budget, huh.’ He mused.

While waiting for his orders, he took a glance at the whole café. He could recognize some of the faces that were present on the duel. The spiky orange-head judge was around the corner with the other guys, talking passionately about the duel.

‘True, I gotta admit now I want to try my hand against Amakawa as well.’

On the other side, there’s a large group of girls. Some of them talked about the duel as well, while the others talked about how “charming” Minato was.

‘Now that I thought about it, there are a lot of girls here. I wonder what made them got into duels?’

Among them, he recognized the white haired girl, who looks rather disinterested with the conversation. She was already like that even since the duel. Beside her is a Hispanic redhead, chatting with the other Minato’s fans. She was also among the spectators, right beside the white-haired girl.

‘Perhaps they are friends?’

“Sorry to keep you waiting!” the waitress’ voice got his attention back. “Here are your orders; cod fillet, smoked mutton, and a big-sized glass of milk.”

“Ah, thank you.”

“Is there anything else you would like to order?”

“Mm… No. This would be enough.”

“Very well. Please enjoy your meal!”

As the waitress left, Sigulf digs into his food.

‘Aah, good old cod and mutton. So delicious…’

Sigulf’s home was back in Bolungarvik, the northernmost fishing village in the Westfjords, so the abundance of fish is out of the question. For the muttons, you could grab some on the nearby supermarkets, or take a 14km trip to Isafjordur.

While Sigulf is enjoying his meal, he noticed a girl, sitting alone quite far from him, eating her unexpectedly large amount of lunch in such a speed.

‘By Jormungandr, will she be okay, eating like that?’ Sigulf mentally commented, as she became a spectacle for the onlookers.

The girl wears her dark blue hair in a high-ponytail. On her unzipped military jacket, Sigulf noticed an emblem depicting a stylized, blue unicorn’s head over a cross.

‘I don’t know any club, sponsor, or major families with that emblem,’ he thought. ‘So, she’s Scottish?’

Suddenly, a round of applause could be heard as the girl apparently finished her lunch. Noticing her situation, she gave an embarrassed smile, before making her way out.

“Strange girl.” Sigulf merely commented.

Looking at his clock, he decides to take it easy as sips his glass of milk.

———

Soon after leaving the café behind, Sigulf dropped by at the grocery, buying some supplies. Eating outside is nice and all, but he thought it would be even better to prepare his own meal. After done with shopping, he wondered what to do next.

‘Hmm… Should I check the training grounds next?’ he thought. ‘This would be quite the detour, but can’t be helped. It’s not like I have other things to do.’

With both of grocery bags still in hands, Sigulf decided to see the training grounds.

———

When Sigulf arrived, there were already some people training there. Judging by their movements, they must be the 2nd-years. On the other hand, he could see few newcomers like him sparring with their partners.

‘Am I being too laid-back here?’ he wondered as he took a stroll along the path, watching them spar. ‘Hmm, axes don’t seem to be a popular choice here.’

Moments later, Sigulf thought he had enough watching and decided to do something.

‘Watching them makes me want to swing my axes as well.’ He thought. ‘That said, I’d rather practice somewhere secluded.’

After taking a look at his surrounding, he found a rather secluded small hill in the distance.

‘It would need a bit extra effort, but I guess it’s better than to be distracted by the others.’ He thought as he sets off to his next destination.

———

As he arrived there, however, Sigulf could hear the sound of someone training nearby.

‘Someone beat me to it.’ He thought. ‘Still maybe I should take a look.’

Getting curious, Sigulf decided to check the source of the sound.

When he finally reached his destination, there he saw a blonde girl, training her moves on her own. Not far from there, her brunette friend watched in silence. As they both wore training clothes, Sigulf couldn’t tell whether they are newcomers or 2nd-years. On the other hand, the blonde’s moves… They were something else entirely.

The way she handled her spear was graceful and precise, yet Sigulf swore he can feel the force and impact of every strike. It’s as if she’s less of a disciplined knight, and more of an experienced warrior.

Taking a good look at her True Arms, the spear, it was ordinary length-wise. What caught his attention was the bigger, jagged blade, clearly designed both to shred and to pierce. The shaft was adorned by what he thought as Celtic ancient alphabet. Right between the blade and the body, it was decorated by what seems to raven’s feather. All in all, it was a bit mystical to him.

After some strikes, the blonde suddenly stopped, before turning her attention right to Sigulf. The brunette followed her sight and seems a bit surprised when she saw him.

“Oh my.”

“Seems we have a visitor.”

‘…I got so captivated by it, I forgot to be more discreet.’ Sigulf mentally lamented.

“Do you have any business with us?” the blonde addressed him.

“No, I was just looking for a practice spot.” He answered. “Sorry, did I disturb your practice?”

“Ah, I see.” The blonde said while dematerializing her True Arms. “Don’t worry, I was just done practicing myself.” She continued as she, and her brunette friend, approached Sigulf.

Now that Sigulf has a better look, her features made him skip a beat. The blonde’s flowing, slightly curled long hair matched well with her beautiful blue eyes.

‘By Gerdr, she’s beautiful.’ He simply thought.

“Is something the matter?” the blonde asked her, pulling him back to reality.

“…nothing. Nothing at all.” Sigulf responded.

“Hmm… By any chance, are you a 1st-year?” now the brunette asked him.

“Ah, yeah, that’s right.”

“I see…” the brunette seems to be in thought for a moment, before she asked the blonde. “What do you think? Should we look for another place?”

“Eh?” the blonde seems surprised at her friend’s suggestion. “Hmm… As much as I’d like to, we pretty much ran out of alternatives already.”

“Fair point. But still…” the brunette replied.

“Umm…” Sigulf suddenly speaks up, grabbing the girls’ attention. “If it’s about this place, then I won’t tell anybody.”

“Hm?”

“I mean, I can understand. I do look for a tranquil spot for practicing on my own as well, even if I have to walk a bit farther.”

The brunette then asked the blonde, “Hmm… What do you say?”

There was a momentary silence before the blonde said to Sigulf, “Can I take your word for it?”

The blonde girl looked at Sigulf with a firm gaze, right at his eyes. For a moment, Sigulf seemed to be at a loss of words, before he regained his composure, and answered, “Then, you shall have my word.”

At his answer, the blonde cracked a small smile and said, “Very good.”

“Ah, Cel,” the brunette suddenly called. “I think it’s time already.”

“You’re right. I have to prepare for tomorrow’s ceremony.” The blonde replied.

‘Hm? Does that means…?’ Sigulf wondered.

“Well then, if you excuse us.” The blonde added while giving a slight bow before making her way. The brunette smiled and did the same.

“Ah, um, right.” Sigulf replied, sounding a bit unsure.

As they passed, the blonde left a parting word, “We’ll meet again.”

Seeing the girls off, Sigulf stood there wordlessly.

‘She’s so cool and confident. And on top of that,’ he thought, as his face grow slightly red. ‘Beautiful.’

When the two are out of view, Sigulf kept his gaze at their direction for a while before returning to business. Putting his grocery bags under a nearby tree, he took a deep breath, and preparing himself to summon his True Arms.

“Alright, let’s have some warm-up.”

———

Sigulf stepped out from his bath. Checking his clock, it’s already half past eight. Drying his hair with a towel, he then sat on his bed, thinking about what happened today.

‘The duel between Amakawa and Hestianus, that strange Scottish girl, and then those two…’ he recalled. ‘Seems I can look forward to this new life.’

When he first arrived on this island, he only thought about fighting to his heart’s content and winning. Yet the duel and the meeting… It’s like it stirred something within him.

‘Especially her…’ he thought.

When he finally done changing his clothes, he set the alarm clock, and lies down, looking at the ceiling above him.

‘Amakawa, Hestianus, and those two… Watch me, Master. I’ll stand on the same level as them.’

Although he slept soundly, it’s also the first time in years since Sigulf filled with excitement.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  5. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 4
    “Hmm… The color choice wasn’t bad.”

7 in the morning. Done with breakfast and packing his lunch, Sigulf seems to be admiring his new uniform; a blue jacket with white and gold accents, paired with slightly blue-tinted white trousers.

“Still, I’m not sure what to do with this, though.” He looked at a yet-to-wore periwinkle-colored cloth in his hand. Apparently, it’s supposed to be either a necktie or a ribbon.

Sigulf then decided to open his Personal Organizer, and scrolled down to the uniform code.

“You can even lightly modify your uniform? That was lax.” He mused. “Well, then.”

Sigulf took the cloth and tied it around his neck, making a simple, cowboy scarf.

“Better than a necktie or a ribbon, alright.”

Satisfied, he picked up his backpack, went outside, and locked his room.

———

Stepping out of the dorm, Sigulf stopped a moment to take a good look at the surrounding scenery.

‘3 years.’ He thought. ‘3 years and this will be my new home.’

As the spring breeze flew by, Sigulf adjusted his scarf. A bit chilly, but then again, he’s used to it.

“I’m going.”

Saying it to one in particular, Sigulf turned around and headed towards the assembly hall.

———

By the time he arrived at the hall, there were already some students there, though Sigulf noted that some of them are probably ceremonial staff. Looking for an empty seat, he noticed there were some in the middle. Sigulf heads there and took a seat. Checking his clock, there’s still some time before the ceremony began.

‘Hmm…’ Sigulf thought as he looked around. ‘I don’t see Amakawa anywhere… Wait, is that Hestianus? And she’s with those two from yesterday. They did say something about the ceremony. A welcome speech, perhaps?’

As Sigulf is pondering alone, a boy is approaching his seat.

“Excuse me.” The boy called. “Is this seat taken?” he pointed to the one beside Sigulf.

“Ah, no. Go ahead.”

“Thank you.” The boy gratefully replied.

As he sat down, Sigulf noticed that the boy was rather lithe. He tied his hair into a low-ponytail with a small white ribbon. And somehow, his face looks rather girly. Not that Sigulf would say that to his face.

‘Judging from his face… An Asian perhaps?’

As the boy seems to be preoccupied with his Personal Organizer, Sigulf decided to look around a bit more. He then noticed yesterday’s big-eater girl came into the hall, half running. The girl then sat somewhere a bit far, all by herself.

‘Somehow I think I have seen her before. Was it at the exams?’

In the end, Sigulf couldn’t really remember, so he reclined in his seat, decided to wait for the opening ceremony to start.

———

First thing that surprised Sigulf after the ceremony started was the MC is none other than the brunette he met yesterday. After introducing herself, she gave a brief rundown of the ceremony before temporarily stepping back, proceeding with the events.

‘The student council vice-president, Chelsea Kensington…’ he noted. ‘So that means the blonde is…’

Next, despite what happened yesterday, Eurypha still got to give her speech as the representative of the newcomers. Standing at the podium, everyone paid attention to her as she continued on.

‘So they let her off the hook. That said, I do think it wasn’t a major offense.’ Sigulf thought.

The audience gave her a round of applause as she finished her speech. Stepping down from the podium, Chelsea takes over.

“Next is the welcome and congratulatory speech from our student council president, Celina Bartram. Miss Bartram, if you will.” Chelsea announced.

‘Bartram…!’ Sigulf realized. ‘I see… So the president is the daughter of that Bartram family. That would also explain her skills…’

The whole room fell silent as she made her way to the podium, each step filled with grace and serenity. When she finally reached the podium and started her speech, everyone on the room listened with full attention, and doubly so for Sigulf.

‘I guess this is to be expected from the president.’ He mentally commented. ‘She conveyed her presence well with the speech.’

“Once again, congratulations to the graduates. We wish you good luck on your future endeavors.” Celina said, as she about to finish her speech. “And to the newcomers, congratulations for passing the exams. We welcome you to this Atlantic Academy. Good luck, and may victory favor us all!”

The room gave a standing ovation for Celina as she stepped down from the podium.

‘That was a gripping speech. And impressive.’ Sigulf thought.

Continuing right after her is a welcome speech and brief history from the principal. Sigulf watched closely as the principal walks for the podium.

‘Victoria Stark… That’s the principal?’ Sigulf thought, a bit surprised.

As Sigulf noted, the principal is a woman in her 30s. And a gorgeous one, admittedly, matched well with her equally elegant long, wavy brown locks.

‘And here I am ogling at beauties. Get your shit together.’ Sigulf mentally reprimanded himself.

Thankfully, the principal made her speech concise and on point, earning a round of applause. The ceremony then closed with a short briefing by Eliot as the representative for the teachers. Finally, the assembly was promptly dismissed, and everyone mobilized to their respective classrooms.

———

As their group, the A-class as Sigulf remembered, arrived in front of the class, Eliot opened the door and let the students get in first.

‘36 seats arranged in a 6×6 pattern… A bit bigger than I thought.’ Sigulf noted as he took a quick glance on the room. Recalling his assigned number, he immediately heads to his designated seat.

‘Number 13… Here it is.’ Sigulf thought as he put down his backpack and sat down; his seat is around the middle, rightmost of the room. Once again, Sigulf decided to take a look at his surroundings.

‘Let’s see… Ah, there he is.’ He thought as he found Minato.

The boy in question sat on second from the back, at the leftmost of the room. He also noticed that the redhead girl is on Minato’s front, the white haired coffee girl on his rear, and Eurypha is on his right.

‘…is it just me or those seat placement is a bit strange?’

Having found Minato, Sigulf then realized that the ponytailed Scottish girl sits directly in front of him, while the Asian boy from the opening ceremony is on his left. The boy gave Sigulf a slight bow as he recognized him, which he promptly returned. And further to the left is the boy Sigulf remembered as the unofficial judge.

‘Funny, the ones I noticed the most are all on the same class.’ Sigulf mused.

Sigulf then continued his observation, noticing that some of them already talking to each other. Either they are old friends, or they have the admirable trait; the courage to take the initiative and try to make friends.

‘Sadly I can’t say the same for me.’ Sigulf thought. ‘I often don’t know what to do or say in situations like that…’

Sigulf watched the class interaction for a while before the bell finally rings and Eliot promptly returned inside.

“It’s nice to see that some of you got along well already.” Eliot commented as soon as he got to the center of the classroom. “Very good, we mustn’t forget that all of us here are fellow duelists from the one and only Atlantic academy. And now without further ado… Ladies and gentlemen! I’m sure you have all heard about me on the assembly, but my name is Eliot Fortier. For one year, I will be your classroom instructor. Pleased to meet you all.”

6. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 5
    After Eliot finished his introduction, he then proceeds to took attendance of the class. Through this, Sigulf learned some of his classmates’ names; the ponytailed Scot Alba Hunter, the Japanese Yuu Kanzaki, the unofficial judge Walter Armstrong, the redheaded Spaniard Carmen Rosales, and the white-haired Finnish Ilma Hiltunen. The teacher then explains what the class is going to do for the whole year, which basically is theory in the morning, lunch break, and then mock duels before the cooling down and dismissal. Mid-exams will be held before summer break, while the finals are before winter break. As for the school festival, it will be held around autumn, in which the free-for-all tournament will also be held.

‘That… Sounds surprisingly fun.’ Sigulf thought. ‘A free for all… That means the 2nd and 3rd-years will probably enter as well.’

As for their very first lecture, Eliot told the class the brief history of the rise of magitek and its benefits for the world, how it created a new reliable source of energy, which in turn improved transportation and many other advancements. One of them is the sport of dueling. Thanks to magitek, an otherwise lethal blow would be avoided, while at the same time keeping the force. This resulted in 0 casualties for decades, making duels safe yet still thrilling.

Done with the history, Eliot then proceeds into the basics of dueling, its rules and the basics of defensive maneuvers, which are blocking, deflecting, evading, and reflecting.

‘Let’s pay attention. Review, review…’ Sigulf mentally noted.

Few hours later, the bell for lunch break finally rings. Before leaving the class, Eliot reminded the whole class,

“You better be not eating too much, or else, you’ll bust your duel.”

After Eliot left, the class returned to its lively state.

‘Right, that’s that… And now,’ Sigulf thought while he took out his lunch box. ‘Where should I eat this? Seems no one’s eating in the classroom…’

Sigulf scanned the room for a while, before he stood up and left the class.

‘Can’t be helped. I guess I’ll just eat alone.’

———

As Sigulf entered the cafeteria, however, he soon realized that it’s rather crowded.

‘I should’ve known better. Lunch break and an actually extravagant school café… I don’t think I can eat in peace.’

He did a 180 and returned to the hallways, pondering where to go next.

‘Should I eat at the school yard, instead?’ he wondered while taking a peek through the window. ‘There are already some people there. Still much better than the café… Hm?’

From the corner of his eyes, Sigulf saw two figures he recognized, making their way to somewhere other than the café.

‘Isn’t that the president with the vice-prez?’ he thought. ‘Where could be they going?’

Decided to follow them, Sigulf turned right from the current hallway, and found a stairway that lead upwards.

‘I see… The rooftops. That’s certainly would be a good choice.’

After climbing the stairs, Sigulf opened the door to the rooftops. He saw only a handful of people there, the student council duo included. Hearing someone has opened the door, the girls turned around to face Sigulf.

“Ah, you are the one from yesterday…” Celina said as she recognized him.

“Good afternoon.” Chelsea added.

“…good afternoon.” He replied, sounding a bit unsure.

Celina eyed him for a while before saying, “I presume you are here to avoid the crowd?”

“Yeah… It’s a bit uncomfortable for me.”

There was a bit of silence before Chelsea speaks up, “If you don’t mind, would you join us for lunch then?”

Celina glanced at her friend, but said nothing.

“Eh? I don’t mind, but is it really okay with you?” Sigulf asked. The brunette smiled and nodded in response, while the blonde still wore her neutral expression wordlessly.

“Well then, I shall take up on your offer.” He said.

The three then moved to an empty corner. Chelsea then laid out a blanket for them to sit on, before they opened their lunches. Looking around, the view is indeed beautiful from above, with the ocean in the horizons.

‘That said, there are suspiciously a lot of cherry blossoms.’ Sigulf mentally noted. ‘Japanese funding?’

“Nice view, isn’t it?” Chelsea suddenly said, as if to agree with Sigulf’s thoughts.

“Eh? Yeah, it is.” Sigulf responded.

“This is why we always have our lunch here.” She continued. “Though admittedly, it’s a bit chilly at this time of year.”

“Yeah, I can understand that…”

Celina, on the other hand, seemingly content with eating her lunch without saying a word.

‘She didn’t talk much, did she? …like it’s my place to say that.’ He thought. ‘Or is it because I disturb them? Oh, boy…’

“Hm? What’s the matter?” Chelsea asked him, noticed that Sigulf looked a bit glum.

“Um…” Sigulf started. “I promise I won’t tell the others about this place either.”

“Eh?”

“Hm?”

Both of the girls looks surprised for a moment, before Chelsea gave in, trying to suppress her chuckle. “What are you saying?”

Celina cleared her throat. “No, don’t worry. There’s no need to.”

“Eh?”

“Most of the students are satisfied enough with dining in the café. And like she said, it’s a bit chilly here. So you don’t have to worry people will gather here.”

“…I see.”

“So you were worried about that.” Chelsea added.

“I’m sorry I jumped the gun.” Sigulf apologized.

“It’s alright.” Celina replied. “Speaking of which, you didn’t ask your classmate to join your lunch?”

Sigulf scratched his cheek at her question. “Not really sure on who to ask, so might as well eat by myself…”

“I see…”

———-

The three finished before lunch break is over. They returned to the hallways before parting with each other.

“Well then, if you excuse us.” Celina said. Chelsea simply gave a slight bow, and Sigulf returned the gesture.

They parted and made way to their own classes. Before the student council duo disappeared from sight, Sigulf turned to have one last look.

‘Even if just a bit, today’s lunch tastes better than usual…’ he thought.

———

Meanwhile, on the hallways towards the 2nd-year classroom…

“Cel,” Chelsea called the blonde girl.

“Mm?”

“Don’t you think you are a bit too cold to the boy?”

“Eh? Am I?” Celina looked genuinely surprised.

“…so you didn’t?”

“That wasn’t my intention.”

“Hmm…” Chelsea looked at her face, seems to be thinking.

“What?”

“Maybe you should smile a bit more.”

“I don’t mind if I have a reason to. Besides, why so sudden?”

“I don’t know. It’s just… He kind of reminds me of the old you.”

Celina looked like she wanted to protest for a moment, but she gave up, and instead saying, “So you’re saying I wasn’t good with people back then. I guess you’re right…”

“I know right?”

———

Sigulf made it back to the class just before the bell rings, soon followed by Eliot who entered the class. Looking at the whole room, he made sure that everyone is present.

“Looks like everyone is here. I take it you have eaten your lunch properly?” Eliot asked, which soon answered affirmatively by the students.

“Good.” He continued. “Now we shall proceed to the practice session. Maybe some of you wondered why do we have to go back to the classroom first. Well, take a look at your behind.”

Suddenly, the wall on the back of the classroom split open, revealing a passage towards a larger room. Most of the students gasped with amazement.

“There you go. That is your room. The room where you will have practice sessions and mock duels for a year. Now, let’s get a move on.” Eliot said, leading the way, while the students followed behind.

When they entered the room, the students were even more amazed by the high-tech looking interior, as well as the supply of the dummy weapons.

“Attention, please!” Eliot called from the back of the room. “We will soon begin our 10-minutes practice, followed by a 5-minute mock duel. You may train on your own, or spar with a partner of your choice. Any questions?”

“No, Sir!” the students replied.

“Good. Well then, go for it.”

The students dispersed once more, deciding what to do with their warm up session.

‘A partner… Let’s see then…’ Sigulf thought while scanning the room.

As he observed, it seems Eurypha bugged Minato to spar with her, Walter trying to pair with the girls without any luck, Carmen turned down some boys’ invitation, Ilma and Alba trained on their own, and—

“Um, excuse me.”

“Hm?”

Turning around, Sigulf found that the Japanese boy, Yuu, called to him.

“If you don’t mind, would you spar with me?” he asked.

‘Huh, this is unexpected.’ Sigulf thought.

“Sure, why not?”

“Thank you very much.” Yuu responded gratefully. “For a while I don’t know what to do…”

“Eh, yeah, same here. I kinda understand that…”

“Ahahah, so we are in the same boat.” Yuu laughed. “Well then, shall we begin sparring?”

“Yeah, let’s do that.”

The two moved to a vacant spot and picked their own dummy weapons. As predicted, Yuu took a Japanese sword; an uchigatana to be exact. As for Sigulf…

“Ooh, twin axes.” Yuu commented. “I don’t see many axes around here, let alone a dual-wield variant.”

“I guess so. People seem to prefer swords.”

“Ahahah, true. Maybe because they looked heroic in general.”

“Heroic huh… It certainly is.” Sigulf mused, remembering his own True Arms.

“Ah, I haven’t properly introduced myself, have I? My name is Yuu Kanzaki. And you are…”

“Sigulf Hrimgard.”

“Sig…”

“Just Sig is fine.”

“Err, I’m sorry, Sig-kun.”

“It’s cool.” Sigulf simply reassured before getting into stance. “Shall we, then?”

“Right! Let’s do our best, Sig-kun!”

———

Minutes into their sparring, and some other students ends up watching them.

“Hey, those two are quite good!” one of the mobs commented. Still, both of Sigulf and Yuu know better.

‘He definitely holds back. But of course I do the same. This is just warming up, after all. A wise beast would only bare its fangs when needed.’ Yuu thought.

‘His fighting style…’ Sigulf thought in between attacks. ‘Definitely a precise-counter type. Unless I can bait his movements, I won’t get a hit in.’

The two continued to spar, exchanging strikes and parries.

———

10 minutes finally passed, and Eliot speaks up to the whole room.

“Alright, that’s it for the warm-ups!” he exclaimed, getting everyone’s attention. “Now we will begin a 5-minute mock duel with two students from all among you as representatives!”

The students began talking among themselves.

“Are there anyone willing to volunteer here?” Eliot asked.

Predictably, Sigulf and Minato, along with few others, raised their hand.

‘I see. The duel yesterday seems to ignite something. Good.’ Eliot thought.

“Quite a number of volunteers here. Alright, I’ll pick 2 random students from among the volunteers.” Eliot said as he activated the randomizer from his PO.

All of the volunteers looked tense, as they wait for Eliot’s announcement.

Beep.

“Sigulf Hrimgard and Arthfael Penndreic, please step forward.”

Some of the volunteers sounded disappointed with the results.

‘It’s a miss, huh.’ Sigulf thought. ‘So my opponent is…’

“Arthfael Penndreic…” Yuu mumbled. “If I remember correctly, he is the latest in line from a renowned British knight family.”

“A British knight…” Sigulf replied. “I think I saw him before. Must be fellow North Sea branch examinee.”

“Hmm, what do you think?”

“There’s only one way to find out.”

“Right, I thought so. Well, do your best, Sig-kun!”

Without saying anything, Sigulf nodded at Yuu’s encouragement and makes his way. As he finally arrived at the middle of the room, Sigulf found himself standing face to face with his opponent.

7. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 6
    “Alright. As I’ve mentioned before, the duel is 300 seconds. There are no special rules; both combatants are allowed to use their own limbs to attack the opponent. Both of you, clear enough?” Eliot asked the boys.

“Yes, Sir!” both Sigulf and his opponent, Arthfael, answered.

“Good! Now, your oaths!”

Sigulf took a deep breath. ‘I’m not used with knightly matters like this, but… Gotta try.’

“We, the Duelists from Atlantic—“ both of them begin reciting. “Swore to abide by the rules, respect the judge’s decision, and fight with all of our might, in honor of our opponent, and for the glory of one own self!” both Sigulf and Arthfael finished their oaths.

“Now, summon your True Arms!”

Arthfael began chanting, “From the depths of the enchanted lake, rising to cleave through all steel… Brought us your promised victory! Sword of the King, Caledfwlch!”

A sword adorned with gold soon materialized in Arthfael’s hands.

As for Sigulf, he changed his stance and crossed his arms, forming an X in front of his chest. Icy blue aura appeared around him, and much to everyone surprise, it’s as if the whole room’s temperature goes down.

“What’s going on here!?” one of the mobs yelled in surprise.

Water-vapors appeared as Sigulf began chanting, “Hunt… Slay… Be victorious! Break free from your bindings and run wild—! FENRIR!!”

As soon as his True Arms materialized, Sigulf cut through the air, while the aura fades away and the temperature returns to normal. In his hands is a pair of steel bearded axe. Its grip is wrapped in leather, while the shaft and the blade are adorned with a carving of what appeared to be a wolf’s head.

‘So full of theatrics. Just like you, Vigdis.’ Eliot thought.

“We meet again, Hrimgard.” Arthfael suddenly talked. “However, this would be the first time we go against each other. And I have no intentions to lose here.”

‘Just as I thought.’ Sigulf mentally noted. ‘Seems I did saw him during the exams.’

“En garde!” Eliot exclaimed, to which both Sigulf and Arthfael got into combat stance.

“Begin!”

At Eliot’s cue, Arthael dashed forward… while Sigulf is unmoving.

“Sig-kun!? What is he trying to pull!?” Yuu wondered aloud.

The blonde boy jumped and raised his sword. “Am I too fast for you? In any case, the first strike is mine!!”

Arthfael brought his Caledfwlch down and struck Sigulf.

“Battle point, down by 20%.” Sigulf’s indicator announced.

However, Arthfael realized that Sigulf is only slightly flinching. Looking up, his eyes met with Sigulf’s.

“What the—“

Without saying a word, Sigulf swung his left axe and scored a clean hit. He continued with his right and knocked Arthfael away.

“Ugh…!!”

“Battle point, down by 30%.”

Arthfael stood up once more while Sigulf is slowly closing on him.

‘His eyes just then…’ the blonde boy thought. ‘It’s not normal…! It’s less human and more of a beast!’

“You…” Arthfael growled with fury. “Are you toying with me!?” he charged towards Sigulf once more.

“No.” Sigulf replied as he evaded Arthfael’s attack. “I was trying what my master used to do. Seems it didn’t work, though.”

‘I see. With her current condition, going offensive with such speed would be detrimental. It’s such a pity, Vigdis…’ Eliot thought with a somewhat sad expression.

“Didn’t work…? Then how about you…” Arthfael said as he lunged forward. “Fight with your own style!?”

Arthfael launched a series of attacks, which every one of them got evaded by Sigulf.

“Seems so. Master would be pissed if she saw me.”

Sigulf took a leap backwards and changed his stance, to a slightly-hunching, primal-looking one.

“Now that’s what I’m talking about…!” Arthfael said, readying his stance.

“Here I go.”

Sigulf dashed… and seemingly vanished.

‘So fast!’ Arthfael thought. ‘But this pattern… His presence… I’ve read it!’

“Ther—“

As Arthfael prepared to swing backwards, however, Sigulf is closing on from his front.

“W, what!? Is it a feint!?” Arthfael yelled in disbelief.

‘Ah, the classic feint.’ Eliot thought. ‘With speed like that, you could easily make a 50-50 situation out of it.’

“Gotcha.”

One, two, three… Four clean strikes landed on Arthfael, with the last one knocked him away.

“Gahh!!”

“Battle points, down by 60%. 10% remaining.” Arthfael’s indicator announced.

‘What… What’s wrong with this guy!?’ he thought while standing up once more.

Sigulf said nothing as he returned to his combat stance and slowly advancing towards Arthfael.

“A, are you kidding me!?” one of crowds expressed his disbelief. “He just toyed a knight like that!”

“Tch…! I have no other choice, then…!” Arthfael said while he raised the Caledfwlch in front of him. The sword begins to emit a golden glow, which seems to be extending the blade’s reach.

‘I see…’ Sigulf mentally noted. ‘You are not allowed to fight below 100%. However, anything above that is permitted. Things just got interesting, it seems.’

“This is it…!” Arthfael exclaimed. “With this…! I’M TAKING YOU DOWN!!”

Faster than before, Arthfael charged towards Sigulf, attempting a horizontal slash. Sigulf jumped in time to evade it. However, Arthfael quickly brakes, changed trajectory, and jumped towards Sigulf, with the Caledfwlch raised.

“Now I got you!!”

‘He got much faster after all…!’ Sigulf thought.

“Tch…!”

Sigulf quickly spun his body and swung his Fenrir upwards, clashing with Arthfael’s blade. Sparks fly as the two True Arms deadlocked.

“Grrh…!!”

“Khh…!!”

Slowly, the Caledfwlch began to overpower the Fenrir, making Sigulf struggle to keep his footing.

“Just… A bit… More…!” Arthfael grunted, keeping his pressure.

“Gh…!”

“Go, Penndreic! Make that lowborn knows his place!” one of the spectators suddenly shouted, earning him some stares of ire.

“What will you do now, Sig-kun?” Yuu wondered.

‘People like that still exist, huh…’ he mused, while struggling to push the Caledfwlch away. ‘I can’t lose here… Then—‘

“Limiter: Laedingr, release.” Sigulf announced.

“What are you— !?”

Suddenly, the Fenrir glows pale blue, and it begins to push Caledfwlch back.

“No way!? He kept something like this!?” Arthfael yelled in disbelief.

The sparks intensified as Fenrir overpowers the Caledfwlch even more.

“No! I mustn’t lose! For—“

“Back off.”

“!?”

Clang!

Losing its golden glow, the Caledfwlch was thrown into the air. With nothing to defend himself, and faced with Sigulf and his rising axes, Arthfael can only mutter,

“Damn it…!”

Sigulf brought down his Fenrir, knocking his opponent away.

“Battle point 0%. Cannot continue duel.” Arthfael’s indicator announced.

“That’s enough!” Eliot exclaimed. “Duel’s over! Winner, Sigulf Hrimgard!”

The room exploded into a mix of cheering and commotion. Yuu simply sighed out of relief. While Alba, from her corner, smirked with her arms crossed.

“It’s way more interesting like this.” She said.

As for the others…

“Oi, oi…!” Walter said. “We have another like Amakawa here? Damn, can’t let them steal my spotlight.”

“Hmm… A bit brutish, but not half bad.” Carmen commented.

“Hmph… I’ll be fine as long I don’t get hit.” Ilma said.

As both True Arms dematerialized, Sigulf walked towards Arthfael. He then hunched over and offered his hand.

Arthfael looked perplexed at first, but then he took his hand and gets up.

“Huh… Seems like I lost really badly this time…” Arthfael said.

“Now,” Eliot exclaimed. “Give our combatants a round of applause!”

The whole classroom applauded as both of them proceeds to shake each other’s hand.

“Next time I won’t lose.” Arthfael said.

“Likewise.” Sigulf replied.

“Both combatants, you may now return to your place.”

With Eliot’s cue, the two parted and returns to join the rest of the class.

“Congratulations, Sig-kun.” Yuu said as he approached him. “Nice fight.”

“Mm, thanks.” Sigulf responded as he passed by Yuu.

“Sig-kun?”

As Sigulf keep walking closer, Minato finally noticed Sigulf’s presence.

“Eh…?”

Sigulf shot him an icy glare wordlessly, while continuing his way to the back of the room. Yuu chased after him.

“Ooh!? Is that supposed to be a declaration of rivalry!?” Walter commented.

“You think so?” Minato asked him.

“…what’s his problem?” Eurypha added, sounding annoyed.

Meanwhile, Eliot watched them from afar.

‘First Amakawa, and now him. It’s still the early days, yet they already made such an impression. Let’s see for how long this can keep up.’

———

Meanwhile, on 2nd-year’s area, after school…

“Did you hear!? The heir of Penndreic got thrashed in a duel!”

“You’re lying! Who did it!?”

“That’s the problem! We never even heard of his dynasty!”

Some 2nd-years, who appear to be members of the upper class, are in commotion. Not far from there, Celina and Chelsea decided to listen.

“What’s his name again?” one of the crowds asked.

“If I recall correctly, it was Sigulf Hrimgard.” Another answered.

“Sigulf Hrimgard…” Celina mumbled.

‘Could it be him?’

“Cel? What’s wrong?” Chelsea asked her best friend.

“I have a bad feeling about this…”

———

Little did Sigulf know that this victory he considered small, is simply the beginning of things to come. Indeed, his journey is still far from over. The path of ulfhedinn is a long one…

———

Prologue: 2117 (Einvígi á Atlantic), end.

Continued on Chapter 1.

8. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1: A Circle of Duelists Gathered Around the Oaken Table
    Part 1
    “Yeah, I’m fine. Mm-hm. Don’t worry. …err, what? Don’t you think it’s too soon? Haah… Alright. OK. Mm. Later, Master.”

Sigulf ended the call and promptly back to eating his breakfast. His master, Vigdis, called him earlier, mainly asking how was the first day, as well as a bit of teasing.

‘Well, it’s still the first day. Not much has happened, I think.’ Sigulf thought while munching his meal.

Finally done with his breakfast, Sigulf cleaned up his dish. Then he checked himself in front of the mirror one last time, tied his neck scarf, and went out from his room.

———

During his way to the class, Sigulf can’t help but feel that some of students stared at him or whispering something to each other.

‘What’s going on here?’ he thought.

This goes on until what sounds like a girl scream could be heard coming from the hallways, which at that point, everyone decided to take a look, Sigulf included. As he arrived along with the others, however…

“Ahn, I didn’t know Japanese men could be this frank…”

“N, no! You got it wrong!”

‘Ah right, this guy walked on a girl changing before…’ Sigulf thought while suppressing his urge to facepalm.

He, and everyone on the hallways, saw Minato on top of Carmen, apparently stumbled one way or another, with his face now buried in her chest.

“I, I have to get up somehow…!” Minato said, trying to use his hand as leverage. Unfortunately, it ends up on Carmen’s bosom instead.

“Hyan, I’m being violated on broad daylight…!”

“!!!! D, don’t say such misleading things!” Minato retorted, his face has gone completely red. Meanwhile, groans of lamentation could be heard from the crowd.

“A-ma-ka-waaa…!” a female voice suddenly growled, which made Minato turns back.

“E, eh…?”

Minato saw Eurypha with her arms crossed, clearly furious.

“Just when I thought you are a much better man than this…” she said. “Then I’ll set you straight myself!!”

“Whoa!” Minato yelled as he avoided Eurypha’s sudden kick. As he finally managed to get up from Carmen, Minato ran towards the opposite direction.

“Wait! Come back here, idiot!!” Eurypha shouted as she gave chase.

“That wasn’t intentional!”

As the two disappeared, Carmen finally stood up and dusted herself off.

“Aww, too bad. I was hoping it would be a little longer…” she said. “Minato Amakawa, huh? Fufufu, I’ll make you head over heels for me!”

“Argh, damn! First is Hestianus and now Rosales too!?” one of the mobs lamented, which is then met by agreement.

‘I guess that’s it for morning comedy. Now…’ Sigulf thought as he decided to return to the class.

When he entered the room, he saw few of his classmates did the same thing; glancing at him before whispering to each other.

‘Again… Seriously what’s happening?’

Reaching his seat, Sigulf looks at Yuu, who seems to be normal.

“Ah, morning, Sig-kun.”

“Morning.” Sigulf replied as he sat down.

“Hm? Is something wrong?”

Sigulf looked around before replying, “…I don’t know. Feels like people are watching me.”

“Eh? Isn’t that obvious? You defeated a talented knight, after all.”

“It would be good if that’s really the case…” Sigulf responded, still unconvinced.

“?”

Not long after, the bell rings. Eliot, as well as Minato and Eurypha, entered the class.

‘Hope I’m just overthinking stuff…’

Without saying anything, he decided to focus on the lecture.

———

As lunch break comes, Sigulf stood up and prepared himself to exit the classroom.

“Hm? Where are you going?” Yuu asked him.

“Rooftop.” Sigulf replied while showing his lunch box. “Wanna join?”

“Eh? Isn’t it a bit cold?”

“A bit. Well, I’m used to it, though.”

“I see… I guess I’ll pass then. Sorry.” He apologized with a bitter smile.

“It’s alright. Catch you later, then.”

Sigulf left the class, making his way to the rooftop.

———

Like yesterday, there weren’t much people having lunch on the rooftop.

‘Both of them aren’t here yet, huh…’ Sigulf thought about Celina and Chelsea. ‘I’ll just start first then…’

Sitting on the corner, Sigulf began eating his lunch, while gazing at the scenery.

‘The view alone is worth it.’ He mentally commented.

“Ah, he’s already here.” A familiar voice said.

Sigulf turned his attention and saw the student council duo.

“Good afternoon.” Celina greeted him. Chelsea smile and waved.

Sigulf swallowed his food first before replying, “Good afternoon.”

The girls approached him, before Sigulf stood for a moment so Chelsea could lay the blanket.

“There, it should be warmer now.” Chelsea mentioned.

Silence falls as they continued with their lunch.

‘I did say I prefer a peaceful lunch, but this is a bit too much even for me…’

“You are by yourself again today.” Celina suddenly pointed out, making Chelsea surprised a bit.

“Eh? Ah, right… Actually I invited a classmate. He declined, though. A bit too cold, he said.” Sigulf explained.

“I see… That’s too bad…” Chelsea added.

“Hmm…” Celina seemed to be thinking for a while. “Say, do you feel people are watching or talking about you?”

The question kind of caught Sigulf off-guard.

“I guess…” he simply replied.

“I see… I assume you are Sigulf Hrimgard, then?”

“…yeah.” His answer made Chelsea looks a bit worried, while Celina kept her neutral expression. “So it got something to do with yesterday, after all?”

“Most likely.” Celina responded. “But first, congratulations on your first victory here.”

“Huh!? Oh, um, right. Thank you very much…?”

“You’re welcome.” Celina responded. “And then, we would like you to be more cautious.”

Sigulf kept silent, seemingly understands what Celina is going at.

“In case something happened, don’t hesitate to contact us.” Celina added.

“Is it alright for you, telling me this? I mean, why?” Sigulf asked.

“I’m the student council president. It’s my duty to ensure no dishonourable conducts shall happen.” Celina stated. “Besides, I believe you gave your word about… The previous issue. Think of this as an exchange of favors.”

“Ah, I see…”

“So, what do you think?”

“Fair enough.”

Celina cracked a small smile at his response. “Very good.”

‘She’s really cute when she smiles…’ Sigulf thought.

Meanwhile, Chelsea sighed at the two, both of relief and exasperation.

“Come to think of it, Cel…” the brunette said. “We haven’t even properly introduced ourselves.”

Celina froze for a moment before looking back at Sigulf.

“Pardon my rudeness.” The blonde apologized to him.

“No, it’s alright…”

“You might remember already, but in any case—“

“This beeeeeeeautiful girl here,” Chelsea interrupted half-jokingly, earning a glare from Celina. “Is the student council president, Celina Bartram. And I’m the vice-president, Chelsea Kensington.”

“…pleased to make your acquaintance.” Celina finished.

“Likewise, the pleasure is mine.” Sigulf replied.

———

The three finished before lunch break is over and parted ways. Making his way back to the classroom, Sigulf recalled what Celina said.

‘I appreciate the offer. Still, it would be better if today could pass by without hitch.’

Unfortunately, as Sigulf returned to the class, things turned out not quite like he had hoped.

“Ah, Sig-kun.” Yuu called. “Some upperclassmen looked for you earlier.”

“Shit.” He cursed. “Already, huh…”

———

Meanwhile, on the 2nd-years’ area…

“Chelsea, do you think we can finish the council’s papers earlier for today?”

“So you are worried, after all.”

“It’s a part of our duty.”

“I know. Well, leave it to me!”

“Chelsea… Sorry for troubling you.”

“You’re saying that now?” she giggled. “Still, it’s very nice for you.”

“Hm? About what?”

“I want to have an underclassman who looks passionately at me, too.”

Celina froze for a moment again. “…wait, did he?”

“No, I was just messing with you.”

Celina sighed.

9. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2
    After lunch break, everyone proceeded to the practice session. As Sigulf and Yuu are preparing themselves to spar, a commotion could be heard from the other side.

“Hey!! What do you think you are doing!?”

“Hmm? Did you drop your eyes somewhere? I’m inviting him for a good sparring session.”

“Um, girls…”

It seems Eurypha and Carmen are fighting over who will be Minato’s partner.

“I asked him first! Go ask someone else!”

“Eeh? After what happened yesterday?” Carmen responded, faking her disappointment. “I’m sure a gentleman would take responsibility… After doing this… And that… In broad daylight…”

“T, that was an accident!” Minato panicked, his face getting red.

“You perverted witch! You’re saying that on purpose! And you, why are you getting flustered!?”

Most of the students are now more interested in the two’s quarrel than continuing practice.

‘A catfight?’ Sigulf thought. ‘Wait, what is Sir Fortier doing?’

He looked around, only to see Eliot apparently not giving a damn.

‘Don’t tell me he’s actually amused…’

“Be my partner, Amakawa.” Carmen beckoned. “Or should I call you… Mi-na-to?”

Minato got even redder being called by his first name.

“Aargh, go disturb someone else, you titty demon!”

“Oh my, did I sense jealousy there?”

“Hmph, I wonder about that! You probably lack anything else, so you have to resort to sex appeal!”

The last one struck Carmen’s nerve.

“What was that!? Then how about I show you that I have all brains, beauty, and brutality!?”

“Do you even have any one of them in the first place!?”

“Why you…!!”

“What!? You wanna go at it!?”

As their tempers flared, Minato tried to snuck away. Unfortunately, the two girls noticed.

“…ah.”

Minato quickly make his runaway. Eurypha and Carmen quickly chased him.

“Wait, we’re not done yet!”

“Minato! Take responsibility!”

As the three ran out from the room, Eliot simply said, “You three, don’t forget to return before the 10-minutes time limit.”

‘He’s completely non-chalant about this…’ Sigulf mentally commented.

“Pretty nice to be him, huh.” Yuu added. “Being chased by the girls like that.”

“…it depends, I think.”

———

Just before the 10-minutes limit ended, Minato, Eurypha and Carmen returned to the room. Eliot then prepared the class for the mock duel.

“Any volunteers?” Eliot asked.

The number of the volunteers wasn’t that much different from yesterday’s, though this time, some students seems to be aiming for Sigulf instead.

‘Good grief, I can feel their stares already.’

Eliot activated his randomizer, and once again, the students looked tense, waiting for the results.

Beep.

Much to most of the class’ disappointment, the two chosen were Carmen and a boy.

“Well, gotta watch from the sidelines then…” Yuu commented.

“So if I got picked once, I won’t fight until the next cycle it seems.” Sigulf added.

“Cycle? Aah, I think I know what you mean. So that everyone got a chance first, right?”

Meanwhile on Minato’s side, Carmen is preparing herself for the duel.

“Fufufu, looks like I get to show what I can do. Cheer for me, okay, Minato?” she said, giving him a wink.

“Eh… Um…” Minato responded, clearly looking embarrassed. Eurypha promptly elbowed him in the stomach.

“Ow! What’s that for!?”

“Nothing, idiot!”

Ignoring those two’s antics, Carmen headed to the middle of the room.

“Your oaths!” Eliot commanded.

“We, the Duelists from Atlantic swore to abide by the rules, respect the judge’s decision, and fight with all of our might, in honor of our opponent, and for the glory of one own self!” both of Carmen and her opponent recited their oaths.

“Now, summon your True Arms!”

Carmen then her right arm aside and began chanting. A rose-red aura swirled upwards from her feet, encircling her body.

“To the Rose of Desire, I plea… Satisfy my lust for victory and dominate my enemies! Bloom gracefully, Venus!”

The aura disappeared and an ornate scythe decorated with rose and vines materialized in her hand, befitting her name.

‘A scythe user.’ Sigulf thought. ‘In exchange for a bit of speed, usually they have great coverage. Let’s see how she fights.’

Her opponent was awestruck for a moment, before he regained his composure.

“Fufufu…”

“En garde!” Eliot announced.

Carmen readied herself.

“Begin!”

———

Unfortunately for her opponent, Carmen was way beyond his expectations.

“Duel’s over! Winner, Carmen Rosales!”

The room cheered on her victory. Dematerializing her True Arms, Carmen took a pose and seductively blows a kiss towards Minato. The boy in question went red from her gesture, Eurypha hissed with anger, and the rest of the boys groaned in frustration.

“Hmm… Maybe I should try to stumble like Amakawa-kun…” Yuu wondered aloud.

“…wait, what?” Sigulf responded.

“Why not? I mean, if it could hook you up with someone. Or two.”

“…I thought we’re here to fight?”

“Eeh? What are you saying, Sig-kun? Since we are on high-school stage now, might as well look for rose-colored youth.”

“I don’t really get what are you trying to say…”

“Hmm… Could it be that you don’t like girls?”

“That’s not the problem here…” Sigulf sighed.

“Eurypha or Carmen?”

“Can I choose someone else?”

“Just what kind of girls do you like, exactly?”

“…older girls, I think.” Sigulf said, getting a bit red.

“Hmm… Like the student council president? Or even the principal?”

“Yeah, somewhere along that line.”

“I see… You did stare at them intensely during the ceremony, after all.”

“…wait, I did? And you remembered?”

“Mm. Totally. Clear as a day.”

“…shit.”

———

After school, both Sigulf and Yuu are on their way to the dorms, talking about things when suddenly a group of students appeared before them.

“I assume you are Sigulf Hrimgard?” the one who appeared to be the leader addressed them. Including him, Sigulf counted there are 6 boys.

‘Already, huh…’ Sigulf thought.

“…yes, I am. What about it?”

“I see.” He chuckled. “Then we can go straight to the point, can’t we?”

Both Sigulf and Yuu grow cautious.

“Sig-kun, this guy…”

Sigulf said nothing and simply steeled himself.

10. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 3
    The stand-off between Sigulf and the unknown boy caught the attention of nearby onlookers.

“What’s going on here?”

“Isn’t that the 3rd-year’s… And that’s the 1st-year who defeated Penndreic’s heir, isn’t he?”

Soon a small crowd formed, curious about what the ruckus is.

“You wanna get down to business, right?” Sigulf said to the boy. “Then spit it out. I don’t have forever.”

“Hah, talk about uncouth. I guess that’s to be expected from a lowborn.”

“Lowborn…?” Yuu questioned.

“You seemed to be not realizing your position here.” The noble continued. “A 1st-year… A lowborn even! Dared to humiliate… Dared to tarnish the name and reputation of a noble family! Surely you don’t think we’ll pretend that nothing of the such happened, do you?”

‘So it’s something like this, after all. Figures…’ Sigulf thought.

“But worry not.” The noble rambled on. “We’re actually willing to overlook all this fiasco… Assuming you would grovel before us and be my… personal servant for a year.”

“…that’s totally out of the question, isn’t it?” Yuu commented.

Sigulf was silent for a moment, before he finally said, “Let’s go, Yuu. We’re just wasting our time here.”

“Are you sure? Not going to… Ah, take him head-on?” Yuu asked.

“What’s this? You ignored my goodwill of forgiving you, and decided to turn your tail instead? How unsightly.” The noble taunted him.

“Can’t be helped.” Sigulf responded. “Master did say idiocy is contagious. Especially if it comes from a modern-day palace jester.”

“…I don’t know if it’s a good comeback or not.” Yuu commented.

“You… You sure know how to run your mouth, huh!?”

‘Eeh!? He actually got provoked!?’ Yuu surprised at the noble’s fury.

“You two! Get him!”

With the noble’s command, two boys came charging at Sigulf. The white haired boy jumped away, evading their punches.

“Sig-kun!”

“It’s alright. I can handle this.”

“By yourself!? At least let me—“

“Yuu.” Sigulf cut him sternly. “This is my fight. I can’t let unrelated person got involved.”

“…dammit, quite the stubborn one, aren’t you?”

“That, and I know I can take them down anyway. Be it duel or good old fistfight.”

“Don’t get so full of yourself…!” the noble growled. “You! Challenge him to a duel!”

Complying his superior’s order, one of the assailants issued a challenge for Sigulf.

“Here it is…!” Yuu reacted.

“Then—“

“On behalf of Sigulf Hrimgard, I accept your challenge!”

“Huh!?”

Much to everyone’s surprise, someone has intruded their confrontation. Sigulf eyes widened as he recognized her.

‘It’s the Scottish girl! …Alba Hunter wasn’t it?’

“You!” the noble protested. “Who do you think you are!? Outsiders should mind their own business!”

“I’m not just an outsider!” Alba responded. “I am Alba Hunter! The Highland’s Finest! And, soon the whole North Sea!”

“…does the name Hunter rings a bell to you?” the noble whispered to one of his underlings.

“No, Sir. We don’t remember any Hunter dynasties.”

“Yet another commoner, I see…”

“Besides, you!” Alba continued, pointing her finger at the noble. “I could ask the same question! What do you think you are doing, bullying your own underclassman!?”

“I’m not being bullied here.” Sigulf retorted.

“Hah, another loony lowborn! No matter, I’ll gladly teach you to know your place!”

“Bring it on! You’ll regret looking down on— Hm?”

Alba turned around as Sigulf tapped her shoulder.

“What… Are you doing?”

“Huh? You’re going to fight those clowns, right? Then I’ll join!”

“Wha— Who did you call a clown!?” the noble responded, though both Sigulf and Alba ignored him.

“…no. I said, this is my fight.” Sigulf replied to Alba. “Why would you join anyway?”

“What are you saying? If there’s a fight, then it’s a duelist job to join it! Besides, I thought you were getting bullied?”

“I’m not.” He sighed. “Now would you kindly back off and watch from the sidelines? I can deal with them myself, thank you very much.”

“No, no, no, no way! I’ll fight here and—“

“Err, guys? Guuuys.” Yuu interrupted. “You do know you can just fight as a team right?”

Both Sigulf and Alba blinked.

“You can?”

“You don’t know? It’s here on the student’s manual! Just take a look.” Yuu said, showing his Personal Organizer to the two.

“Oh, you’re right!” Alba exclaimed. “I see…”

“Hey, what are you guys doing!? Don’t delay the fight any longer!” their opponent getting impatient.

“Give us a moment!” Yuu replied. “Now, you two get it? Easy, right?”

“I guess so…” Sigulf sighed. “I don’t have any choice, either way.”

Breaking the huddle Sigulf then stepped forward.

“System, requesting to join duel on Alba Hunter’s side.”

At Sigulf’s announcement, Alba grinned.

“Now we’re talking! You hear that? Then let him in!”

“Acknowledged.” The system announced. “Sigulf Hrimgard joins as Alba Hunter’s teammate.”

“What? A 2-on-2 duel?” the noble sounds a bit surprised. “Then… Hey you, accompany him!”

The other boy promptly joins, finalizing the preparation.

“Aaalright, time to run wild!” Alba exclaimed, all fired up.

“You were on the North Sea exams, weren’t you?” Sigulf suddenly asked.

“Ha, so you finally remembered!”

“No, I don’t. You didn’t even hide the fact that you know my name, though.”

“Ah, that… Wait, you know my name as well!”

“…you actually introduced yourself in front of us. Of course I would know.”

“Oh, right… Well, whatever!”

Sigulf sighed. “You better tell me stuff once we’re done with this.”

“Can’t be helped. You don’t remember, anyway!”

Alba then raised both of her hands and begins chanting, while translucent white aura swirls around her.

‘This is… Non-elemental, just like Amakawa?’ Sigulf thought.

“To be fearless! To be free! To be proud as our song echoes across the highland mountains! Stand tall, Braveheart!”

As Alba finished chanting, an ornate Highland claymore materialized in her hands. She then brought her sword down, getting into combat stance.

‘…what’s going on here? Just by summoning her True Arms, the air around her somehow feels different…’

“Come!” Alba challenged, now with a slightly feral grin on her face.

“Twin axes and a claymore? Hah, how befitting of barbarians!” the noble mocked.

Sigulf ignored him and summoned his Fenrir, followed by the noble’s men. Both sides then fell silent as they wait for the cue.

“En garde.” The system voice announced. “Begin!”

Just as the noble’s henchmen are about to move, both Sigulf and Alba are already jumped in front of them, weapons raised.

“Wha—“

“DE-YAH!!”

Sigulf and Alba brought their weapons down, knocking away the opponents.

“Battle point, down by 35%.”

“Come on!!” Alba shouted.

‘She can move that fast with a claymore…’ Sigulf thought.

“What are you guys doing!?” the noble seemed furious at his lackeys. “Stand up and fight them!”

Even though both of the underlings are clearly unnerved by now, they have no choice but to charge at Sigulf and Alba once again.

“Trying the same trick again!?” Alba shouted as she held her claymore horizontally. She then stepped forward, catching their opponents by surprise and succeeding in her sword bash. “Now!”

With her cue, Sigulf jumped over from behind Alba and brought his Fenrir down.

“Gahh…!”

“Battle point, down by 20%.”

Sigulf struck both of the opponents simultaneously, knocking them away.

“Come on, you’re making this too easy!” Alba taunted.

“Impudent wretches…!” the noble growled.

Meanwhile, the crowd got even bigger as the fight goes on. Joining them is Arthfael Penndreic, who just realized what’s going on.

“This is…! Hey, you! What’s the meaning of this!?” Arthfael asked furiously at the noble.

“Penndreic!? Can’t you see!? We’re taking back the nobility’s lost honor!”

“I want nothing of this! I can settle this on my own terms!”

“Silence! It’s your fault in the first place!” the noble accused him. “You lost to this punk! Now, you should just stand back—”

“Aargh!”

The lackeys’ scream cut the noble off as they went flying through the air once more.

“Oi…” Alba addressed him. “This ain’t the time to indulge in your ego. We’re tearing through your chumps as we speak!”

“Guh…!” the noble slightly panicked as he realized his duelists are down to 20% battle points.

“S, sir, they are too strong!”

“What are you saying!? The duel’s not over yet!”

“Tch, what a waste of time…” Sigulf mumbled. “Limiter: Laedingr, release.”

“Oh?” Alba seemed intrigued at Sigulf’s action.

As his Fenrir glows pale blue once more, Sigulf wasted no time, instantly charging towards the noble’s men. By the time they managed to stand up, Sigulf’s axes are already right in front of them.

“Give it up.”

Again, Sigulf struck both of his opponents at the same time, this time with a loud crash.

“Battle point 0. Cannot continue duel.”

“Useless imbeciles…!” the noble cursed at the loss of his men.

Alba, meanwhile, simply whistled at the spectacle. “I see… A strength and speed boost, huh? Wild.”

Standing straight, Sigulf glared at the noble right at his eyes.

“So, are we going to continue this charade?” he growled.

“…curse you, lowly commoner!”

11. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 4
    Still willing to continue the duel, another pair of the noble’s lackeys stepped forward.

“Bastards…!” one of them growled. “Don’t you dare look down on us!”

Saying nothing in response, Sigulf simply got back to his fighting stance. On the other hand, Alba taunted them while tapping her claymore on the ground.

“I’m not even looking on you guys. I’m looking at the joker backing you!”

“Why you…!”

Losing their temper, the noble’s underlings charged towards Sigulf and Alba. A loud clang could be heard as Alba blocked with her claymore, stopping them in their tracks.

“Hee… You guys are a bit faster than I thought.”

“I told you don’t underestimate— Oof!!”

“Battle point, down by 15%.”

Much faster than they can imagine, Sigulf circled around them before striking with a spinning slash from Alba’s left side, sending both of the lackeys sliding on the ground at the same time.

“Hey, now! I know you got super fast and all, but that’s just rude!” Alba protested.

“Don’t care. I’ll finish this fast and get at him.” Sigulf replied bluntly.

“Chee… No fun.”

As they engaged in a small banter, one of their enemies suddenly got up on his feet and attacks once more.

“Whoa!” Alba exclaimed as she managed to block on time.

“Quit fucking around!!” her opponent shouted.

“Oh, what’s this? You talked shit first, and now you’re demanding some respect? As if!”

Kicking her claymore, Alba knocked the lackey back and breaking his guard.

“Shi—“

Alba strengthened her grip, and seeing her opponent are now wide open, she thrusts her claymore forward.

“There!”

“Gahh…!!”

The thrust from the Braveheart sent the boy rolling.

Meanwhile, the other lackey finally got up, his legs still a bit shaky.

‘Dammit! I know they are A-class duelists, but…!’

The boy straightened his stance.

“I won’t lose against lowborns like you!”

Seeing her opponent charged again, Alba sighed while she raised her claymore.

“Talk about predictable.”

With full force, she brought the Braveheart down… only to hit empty air.

“Oh…?”

The boy made a feint at the last moment, successfully avoiding Alba’s strike.

“I know you’re going for that! And now…!”

He jumped in towards the defenseless Alba, ready to strike with his sword.

“Oi.”

“Eh— Aargh!?”

“Battle point, down by 15%.”

Sigulf quickly intercepted and sent the lackey flying with a swing from his axe.

“…they actually forgot I’m still here?” Sigulf sighed.

“Hah, I knew you’d cover me.” Alba added.

“…no, you didn’t.”

“What, are you saying I screwed up?”

“Looked like that to me.”

The two continued while slowly advancing towards their opponents. The noble’s men, meanwhile, managed to stand up with some difficulty.

‘Dammit, treating this like some game…!’ they furiously thought.

The lackeys looked at each other, nodded, and then charged again towards the Sigulf-Alba duo.

“Oh, here they come.” Alba said non-chalantly as she realized the situation.

Sigulf and Alba braced themselves for the clash, but all of a sudden, one of the lackeys gained speed and dashed past them.

‘What are they trying to pull?’ Sigulf thought as his eyes followed him.

Meanwhile, the other lackey simple braked. Alba, being preoccupied with this one, raised her sword.

‘Is it another feint? Then—‘

“You’re wide open!”

“!?”

Instead of moving sideways or jumping away, the boy dashed right towards her.

“Guh…!”

His sword struck Alba, knocking her backwards.

Bump.

“Wha—“

She inadvertently knocked Sigulf off his balance.

“I’ve been waiting for this!”

The other boy does a 360 and hit both Sigulf and Alba with his sword, knocking both of them aside.

“Gah…!”

“Kyah!”

“Battle points, down by 30%.”

‘Tch, blindsided like this…!’

Both Sigulf and Alba managed to do an emergency roll. The lackeys, meanwhile, gave a smug smirk towards the now crouching duo.

“How’s that!? I told you not to underestimate your superiors!”

“Heh, I wonder about that! Probably just a fluke!” Alba retorted.

Sigulf simply shook his head.

‘Should I release Dromi here? …no, too soon.’ He thought.

Sigulf stood up and got back into his fighting stance.

‘They are probably right. We took them too lightly. Plus considering that last one, they probably have some experience as a team. Or at least, fought each other well enough. While I…’

Sigulf glanced towards Alba who got up as well, looking fired up.

‘Got paired with someone I just met.’

“Alright, no more games!” Alba exclaimed. “Time to—“

“Hunter.”

“Eh, what?”

“Don’t charge alone.”

“…you have a plan?” she asked in a lower voice.

“No.”

Alba nearly faceplanted. “Then what are y—“

“I said, stop messing around!!”

“Whoa!”

The lackeys suddenly attacked, though Sigulf and Alba managed to jump away. Clicking his tongue, one of the lackeys pressed on with his attack, forcing Alba to defend, while the other boy pursued Sigulf.

“Come on, come on! Where did that arrogance of yours go!?” the noble’s underling taunted in-between his attacks.

‘Don’t charge alone?’ Alba thought while defending. ‘I guess he wants us to coordinate our attacks? That sounds deceptively simple…’

Taking a glance, she noticed that Sigulf himself is being pushed back, forced to either evade or block the attacks.

“What’s the matter, village boy!? Too scared to even strike back!?”

Sigulf ignored his opponent’s provocation while being pushed further towards Alba.

‘This is…!’ Alba realized something. ‘They are planning to flank us like before!’

“Don’t look around, bitch!”

“Tch…!”

Alba barely managed to block his sword.

‘I don’t know what he’s thinking… But on this situation, I can only try…!’

Both Sigulf and Alba are being pushed further and further, making the lackeys intensify their attacks.

“It’s over, punks! Grovel before your superiors!”

Both of the noble’s men then lunged forward, forcing Sigulf and Alba to block.

“Sig-kun, no!” Yuu exclaimed from the sidelines.

“I know.”

“!?”

The lackey’s grin suddenly disappeared at Sigulf’s words. Before he and Alba bumped at each other, both of them suddenly stopped blocking and jumped sideways at the last moment instead; essentially, pulling the lackey’s force towards each other.

“Sh—“

A loud thud could be heard as the boys knocked their heads against each other. Not willing to waste the chance, Sigulf and Alba quickly turned around and charged towards the still dazed lackeys.

“Now you are wide open!!” Alba shouted as she, and Sigulf, brought their weapons down with full strength.

“Gwah…!!”

Their opponents got slammed hard against the ground with a loud crash.

“Those idiots!” the noble cursed. “How…!?”

One of the lackeys struggled to get up, only to see Sigulf and Alba staring down at him, with their True Arms raised.

“Hunt’s over.”

“Try again next time!”

Without giving them the chance to even get up, Sigulf and Alba unleashed a relentless storm of blades, effectively ending the duel.

“Battle points, 0. Cannot continue duel.” The system announced. Yuu sighed out of relief.

“So this is how they fight…” Arthfael muttered, still watching the duel.

The noble now looked less furious and more horrified as Sigulf and Alba are finally done with their rampage.

“Is this you wanted us to do?” Alba asked Sigulf casually. “Using their own tricks against them? That’s pretty neat, if I must say!”

“Actually, no. That wasn’t the case.”

“Eh? Then—“

“I actually wanted to say ‘coordinate our attacks’. Even brute force can be much better if it’s well-coordinated.”

“…so that last one was—“

“…yeah, that was a spur of the moment.”

Alba groaned at the revelation.

“Well, with that out of the way…” Sigulf continued, pointing his axe towards the noble. “We can try to practice coordinated brute force on him, now.”

“Heh, I suppose you’re right!” Alba added, getting into her combat stance.

“Y, you uncivilized barbarians!” the noble retorted. “Just what do you think you are doing!?”

“Backing off, aren’t ya? After all the nonsense you said…!” Alba returned.

‘Ugh, they are much stronger than I anticipated…!’ he thought. ‘But…!’

“I, I’m not running away! I shall set an example on how lowborns should bow before us, the nobility!”

“Whoa, that’s bit admirable.” Alba commented. “Putting the shitty motive aside, that is.”

“You! Fight alongside me!”

The remaining lackey looks surprised, but complied at his order nonetheless.

“Finally.” Sigulf muttered. “Time to end this freakshow.”

“You lowly peasants!” the noble exclaimed after he and his partner done summoning their weapons. “I’ll make sure you learn to know your place!”

12. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 5
    The atmosphere got heavier as both sides continues their staredown. Sigulf slides into his battle stance; his eyes glints dangerously like a wild beast ready to strike. Alba swung her claymore lightly a few times, followed with her cracking a feral smirk.

“En garde.” The system announced.

The noble clenched his fists as a single cold sweat trails down his forehead. His duel partner simply adjusted his own collar the last time.

“Begin!”

Dust flies as the duelists kicked the ground as hard as possible, charging towards each other with fury. The loud sound of steel clashing followed suit. Both parties pressed their offense with all their might, accompanied by sparks scattering from their True Arms.

“Rgh…!” Sigulf grunted as he engaged in a deadlock with the noble.

‘Gotta hand it to them. They are not all talk.’

The noble gritted his teeth, giving his all to push Sigulf’s Fenrir back.

‘My pride… Our pride is on the line…! There’s no way I’m losing here!’

His eyes are burning with determination, even as Sigulf intensified his pressure.

‘If you are pushing with such force, then—!’

The noble suddenly pulled his sword back. Unfortunately for him…

“I can smell the air, you know.” Sigulf said, backing away at the last moment and managed to avoid the noble’s bait.

‘Shit, he read that!? And what did he me—’

The noble didn’t have time to finish his thought, as his body barely reacted in time against Sigulf’s sudden axe strike. Even though he managed to block it, the force still knocks him away.

“Sir!” his lackey called out with worry.

“Hey, now! I’m your opponent here!”

“Guh…!”

Alba pushed her opponent slightly off balance, before she continued with a powerful upswing. Just like his boss, the boy got knocked away without damage.

“It’s not over yet!” Alba roared while she charged; Sigulf wordlessly followed after.

‘D, dammit…!’ the noble mentally cursed as he guarded against Sigulf’s attack. ‘They really won’t let us catch a breath!’

The endless barrage from Sigulf-Alba duo left no opening for counterattacks, forcing the nobles to stay on the defensive.

‘Which one is it…!? Is it another feint!? Or will h—‘

“There.”

“!?”

Using the noble’s moment of uncertainty, Sigulf brought his Fenrir down and broke his opponent’s guard.

“Shi—“

“Gotcha…!”

“Sir!”

All of a sudden, using the momentum from Alba’s strike, the lackey propels himself and tackled the noble away.

Slash!

“Gwah…!”

“…”

The Fenrir struck the lackey instead, sending him flying backwards.

“Y, you…!” the noble looks genuinely surprised before regaining his composure. Getting up quickly, he charged once more at Sigulf. “Revenge!”

“Tch…!”

Barely recovering, Sigulf managed to block his attack at the last moment. Before Sigulf had a chance to react, the noble jumped away.

“Are you alright!?” he asked his lackey.

“I, I’m fine, Sir!” his men responded with surprise.

“Don’t give up! It’s not over yet!”

“Man, it’s like we are the bad guys here…” Alba commented.

“We should put those peasants at their place!”

“…nevermind. I take it back.”

Meanwhile, as the duelists clashed once more, Yuu still observed from the sidelines.

“I’m surprised those nobles can keep up with them.” he commented. “Still, for how long?”

The nobles got more aggressive, seemingly had enough with defending.

‘That being said, those two going on an all-out rampage…’ Yuu thought. ‘It would be much easier if it’s just that; a blind frenzy. Yet, this is Sig-kun. Can’t underestimate his instincts. And that Hunter girl is much stronger than I anticipated. I have to think of a countermeasure for later.’

The crowd’s voice got louder, catching Yuu’s attention.

“…more people come to enjoy this one-sided affair, huh?” Yuu laughed bitterly. “Ah, well. It’s their own fault.”

“Gaahh…!”

“Battle points, down by 25%.”

“S, sir!”

Sigulf managed to land a hit on the noble. His lackey caught him as the noble was reeling back from the hit.

“N, not yet…! I can still…!”

Before the noble can finish, the sound of high heels clacking could be heard approaching the area.

“Hey, is that…”

As the source of the sound showed themselves, the crowd went into a commotion.

“I, it’s the student council!” one of the mobs exclaimed.

‘Celina!?’ Sigulf finally diverted his attention.

“I see you guys are still on it.”

Celina Bartram and Chelsea Kensington have arrived on the scene.

“Geh, the Sassenach duo, huh…” Alba muttered.

‘Wait, why are they drawing their True Arms? Did something happened?’ Sigulf thought.

As he noted, the student council wields their weapons; the jagged raven spear Sigulf saw before, and a sword plus round shield combination respectively. Behind them, Sigulf noticed a pair of students he doesn’t recognize; a boy and a girl. The long haired boy with a grim expression wears a huge, oversized gauntlets. In place of the humanoid fingers are five equally big blades, making it looked more like draconic claws.

‘A claw user? And a big one at that.’

On his side is a blonde haired girl, who somehow looks like she’s been spacing out. Her True Arms took the form of a harpoon spear with a steel chain attached to it.

‘This one’s a bit unusual. Those chains… Probably she can use it to swing the harpoon.’

The noble looks unnerved once more, now he’s facing the student council president herself.

“I believe you have an explanation for all of this.” Celina said, addressing the noble.

“Wait a minute. Please listen to me, Bartram. This is—“

“’To regain the nobility’s lost honor’, am I correct?” she cuts the noble off. “Actually, I believe nothing has been lost.”

“Surely you jest!? This guy—“

“Or there’s nothing to warrant an attempted physical assault towards this 1st-year.” Now’s Chelsea’s turn to cut him off.

“Prez, Prez.” The harpoon girl suddenly talked. “Or how he sent his minions to… Stall us? Buy the time?”

‘He did that!?’ Sigulf thought, now glaring furiously at the noble. ‘I kinda thought she will be fine, but still…!’

The noble gritted his teeth in anger, while his lackey looks unsure on what to do.

“Why, Bartram? As a fellow noble, you of all people should have understood!”

“Don’t worry, I do understand what’s happening here.”

“Then—“

“If anything, it’s people like YOU who humiliated the nobility.”

“What…!?”

“Instead of improving your own self, you used your status as an excuse to laze around and look down on others. Truly, you should be ashamed to even consider yourself a member of this Academy.”

Celina’s words clearly infuriated the noble.

“How dare you, betraying your own lineage and siding with those peasants!!”

“I am not siding with them. I am merely adhering to the principle of this Academy. To judge every one duelist based on their performance and passion, regardless of their societal standing.”

“And that’s coming from the daughter of a sponsor!? You’re a raving mad hypocrite!”

“What the…!?” Chelsea got furious at the noble’s accusation and was just about to step forward, if not for Celina stopping her.

“That may be true.” The student council president simply replied. “As long as I cannot provide any evidence that I passed on my efforts, you are free to say anything you want. However…”

Celina stepped forward and twirled her spear before getting into her battle stance.

“I have a suggestion. How about you try and see for yourself, whether my skills are genuine… or not.”

All of a sudden, a massive and unseen pressure envelopes the whole area, mostly affecting the duelists.

‘What’s… this…!?’ Sigulf thought. ‘This is totally different from back then…! Did my arms… just tremble…!?’

‘Holy shit… I heard she’s the Academy’s strongest… But not like this…!’ Alba thought while struggling to stand straight.

‘Even Sig-kun and Hunter went like that…’ Yuu commented, partially feeling the pressure. ‘So this is the rumored ‘S-Ranker’…’

“S, sir, what should we do…?” the lackey asked his superior. “We’re still fighting, and there’s no way we can face Bartram…!”

A mix of emotions flashed in the noble’s face, but in the end, he decided to brace himself.

“Bartram!” he shouted. “After I’m done with them, you are next!”

“S, sir!?”

“Hm, very well.” Celina responded as she twirled her spear once more, back to standing by. “Then I shall see the end of this duel first.”

The pressure dissipates, allowing the duelists to move unhindered once more.

“Cel, is this really alright?” Chelsea whispered to her.

“If they are genuine, then it should be.”

The noble turned his attention towards Sigulf again.

“Unforgivable…!” he growled. “You dared to cross your boundaries! Thus, I—“

A sudden hard strike from the Fenrir landed straight in his face, sending the noble flying.

“Sir!! Why you…!!”

The lackey dashed straight towards Sigulf, only to be intercepted by Alba.

“The hell are you going!? I’m your opponent!”

“Out of my way, woman!!”

Sigulf’s sudden burst of fury made most of the spectators cheer, except…

‘Sig-kun!? What’s gotten into him!?’ Yuu thought.

‘He’s nothing like this yesterday…!’ Arthfael mentally noted. ‘Is this another trick up his sleeve, or…’

Sigulf, on the other hand, keep landing his attacks mercilessly, not giving the noble a chance to even perform an emergency recovery.

‘Why…?’ the white-haired boy thought in-between strikes. ‘Why am I like this? Am I… angry?’

The noble managed to block an attack and slipped away, though now he has difficulty standing. Sigulf stopped for a moment before continuing his pursuit.

‘Is it because of him?’ he thought, while getting few strikes in. ‘But here I am, dominating him. So…’

It was after he met Celina’s gaze that he realized.

‘Ah, I see… So that’s how it is…’

Sigulf suddenly stopped moving, catching Alba and her opponent’s attention.

“Hrimgard! What are you doing!?”

Sigulf stood still, looking towards Celina’s direction.

‘I was angry…’ Sigulf realized. ‘I was frustrated towards myself.’

Seemingly not paying attention, the noble got up.

‘Standing on the same level as her… How foolish I am. She just easily showed how huge the gap between us.’

The noble finally got up, and charged towards Sigulf.

“This is no time for sightseeing… HRIMGAAAAAAARD!!” the noble roared while closing on him.

“Sig-kun, watch out!!”

“…!”

The noble managed to land a clean hit.

“Battle point, down by 30%.”

“And now— !?”

However, Sigulf only flinched a little, and before the noble could react, Sigulf grabbed his arm first.

‘…and that’s why, more the reason for me to win. To close the gap one step at a time. To reach the same heights. To stand by her side…!’

“I can’t lose here!!”

With his free hand, Sigulf brought his axe down and lands a decisive blow.

“Aaargh…!!”

His opponent got hammered to the ground by the sheer force of the Fenrir, before finally lying unconscious.

“Battle points, 0. Cannot continue duel.”

The announcement earned a loud cheer from the crowd, while the lackey knelt in defeat, losing his will to fight. Alba pulled away from him, watching Sigulf silently.

‘He…’

From the other side, Chelsea sighed in relief, the unknown pair withdrawn their Arms, and Celina slightly smiled at the spectacle before her.

“Just as I thought.” She mused. “They are genuine.”

13. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 6
    The dust settled, and for a while, it seems all the excitement begins to dissipate as well. However…

“Hm…?”

Going to check on Sigulf and Alba, Celina noticed that both of them still haven’t withdrawn their True Arms.

“…”

Alba said nothing as her slow steps broke into a dash towards Sigulf, who is still standing motionlessly, ignoring the lackey as he grabbed and took the noble away to safety.

“This is…! Watch out!”

“!?”

Reacting to Alba suddenly swinging her claymore, Sigulf twirled and retaliated with his axe, only for both of them to stop at the last moment possible.

“…is this how you tell things?” Sigulf asked her coldly.

“You tell me.” Alba responded, while cracking a smirk.

The spectacle earned some gasps from the remaining spectators, which in turn, changed the mind of others who were about to go home.

“What… are they doing?” Arthfael asked, clearly looking perplexed.

Yuu, meanwhile, seems to be unfazed. “Hee… Talk about classic. Let’s observe how this will turn out.” He commented.

Alba then hopped back, getting into her fighting stance.

“Well, I promised you earlier. So, allow me to reintroduce myself!” she said while retaining her air of confidence. “I am Alba Hunter, the Highland’s Finest, the Greatest Blademistress of Scotland, and the Future Champion of North Sea!”

‘…her self-proclaimed title got even longer.’ Sigulf mentally retorted. ‘Still, with her skills, I can understand.’

“But…!” she continued. “To take the first step, I must pay back my loss, therefore—“

“Wait, wait, wait.” Sigulf interrupted. “What loss? I didn’t even fight you, else I would’ve remembered.”

“That’s true. We didn’t cross our blades back then. However, a loss is still a loss. You are ranked above me after all.”

Sigulf blinked before he finally processed what she said.

“There’s a rank system in the first place? I just look for whether I passed or not…”

“There is. They posted it on the bulletin board. Or you can dig on their website.”

“Even if you say that,“ Sigulf sighed. “I don’t think that’s enough reason…”

“But it is for me.” Alba sharply replied. “You are not going to say no and just walk away, do you? Or could it be… You actually thought others are not worth a damn and thus took them lightly?”

The last one caught Sigulf by surprise. Her tone filled with seriousness; nothing like the hammy girl with her huge appetite, nor the wild warrior on the battlefield he knows.

“I don’t know what’s your motivation is. Or whether you have one in the first place.” she continued. “Aiming for the top is nice and all, but let me give you an advice. When you look up, watch out for your footing as well.”

Sigulf was wordless for a few moment before he finally said, “…you are right. I’m sorry about that.”

“You’re surprisingly earnest, huh.” Alba commented.

“Like you said, I’m aiming for the top. There’s… Someone I want to reach.” He replied. Celina and Chelsea are listening intently to this.

“And I’m planning to take the steps necessary for it. But,” Sigulf continued. “If I lose my footing on the way there, I will never reach it after all. So, thanks.”

“Heh, I didn’t expect your gratitude for this.” She retorted. “Ah, well, we’re good to go, then?”

“Anytime.” He simply replied as he gets into fighting stance.

“Aaalright then! Sigulf Hrimgard! I chal—“

Groooowl.

With that sound, all the tension suddenly dropped to zero.

“Not me.” Sigulf casually commented.

“D, dammit… Why must you ask for supply at a time like this…?” Alba cursed while holding her stomach.

Some of the crowds groaned, Yuu sighed, and Arthfael can only let out a bitter laugh.

“Umm, guys?” Chelsea suddenly called the two. “It might be too soon, but how about we grab some dinner?”

———

In the end, the remaining crowd was sent home with the help of the unknown pair, while Sigulf and the rest headed to a nearby café.

———

“Chomp… Munch munch munch… Crunch!”

“…”

Almost everyone on the table went speechless as they were treated with the sight of Alba happily devouring her mountain of a meal.

“She… Really eats a lot.” Celina commented.

“I’m still wondering how she managed to finish them all.” Sigulf added.

“Muffle muffle muffle?” Alba tried to say something.

“Don’t talk while you eat.” He retorted.

Meanwhile, Chelsea stares at Alba’s menu seriously.

“Chelsea…?” her blonde best friend asked.

“It’s all fat and fried food…” the brunette muttered.

Chelsea then suddenly raised her hand and called the waitress.

“Yes, may I help you?” the waitress asked as she came over.

“Can I have a fruit and vegetable salad for her?” Chelsea’s order made Alba widen her eyes.

“Certainly. Is there anything else you want?”

“No, that would be enough.”

“Very well. Please wait for a moment.”

As the waitress left, Alba swallowed her food before protesting, “What the hell’s that for!?”

“No, no, no!” Chelsea quickly responded. “That’s not good! Not good at all! Everything is fatty and fried! You could kill yourself before you know it! …umm, Alba Hunter, wasn’t it?”

“Y, yes, Alba Hunter…” she replied, surprised at her sudden outburst. “But, they taste shitty anyways! Why would I eat them!?”

“You need to have a balanced diet! As the vice-president, consider it one of my duties to remind the others about this!”

‘C, consider…?’ Sigulf mentally questioned.

“What are you, my mum? No way!”

“Umm,” the waitress called, catching their attention. “Here’s your order, a fruit and vegetable salad.”

“Ah, thank you.” Chelsea gratefully replied as the waitress handed the salad. She then scooped a portion of it and offered it to Alba. “Alright, open up.”

“W, what?”

“Ooopen up!”

“Hell no! I’m n—“

“O. Pen. Up.”

“A, alright, alright! I can eat on my own!” Alba finally gave up and scooped the salad on her own. She took one last look before munching it. “Bleh… It’s not meat…”

“Well done!” Chelsea praised her with a smile. “And now…” she continued as she pushed the salad bowl towards Sigulf.

“…oh, you’ve gotta be kidding me.” He lamented.

“I see nothing but meat.”

“Alright, okay, I get it.” He gave up as well and took a bite. “…mrgh.”

“So the fearsome beasts are weak against salad, huh?” Yuu chuckled from his seat.

“Hey, anyone got their own dislikes, you know?” Alba protested.

“I wanted to check are you guys alright after the duel, but considering your banters, it seems I have nothing to worry.” Celina commented.

“…and that includes me?” Arthfael asked, still seems confused on why he’s here.

“Of course. Just like Kanzaki, you were a bit more involved after all.”

A pained expression crossed his face.

“…aren’t you going to say anything?”

“Hm? About what?”

“I… Was just standing there. Doing nothing. Even though I know those nobles are wrong… Even though I should’ve joined Hrimgard… I’ve failed my own code of chivalry…!”

“That might be true. But at least you didn’t join their side either. We appreciate that fact, Penndreic.”

“Even so…!”

“Are you frustrated?”

“…! Yes… Yes, I am frustrated with myself…!”

“Then use that frustration to temper yourself. So that you won’t regret anything ever again.”

“Miss Bartram…! Yes, thank you very much…!”

Sigulf listened silently while sipping his glass of milk.

‘I have to watch out for him in the future.’ He mentally noted.

“Sig-kun? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

———

The group exited the café and met the unknown pair from before.

“Ah, Laine, Lindorm! Where have you been? Have you eaten already?” Chelsea asked them.

“Oh, hey, Vice-Prez.” The harpoon girl, named Laine, replied. “Just grabbed a hot-dog. We’re not that hungry yet.” The black-haired guy, Lindorm, said nothing and simply nodded.

‘He… Feels different from when he summoned his Arms.’ Sigulf thought. ‘Is it the same case with Alba?’

“So, you guys done?” Laine continued.

“We’re finished here.” Celina answered. “Only the small patrolling needs to be done, just in case.”

“Aye-aye, Ma’am.” Laine saluted. Lindorm did the same wordlessly.

“Ah, so you still have things to do.” Sigulf commented.

“That’s right. Just to make sure no troublemakers remain.”

“Hmm… Can I join?”

“Hm? That’s so sudden. Why if I may ask?”

‘Good move, Sigulf.’ He sarcastically thought.

“Well, the ruckus is related to me after all. And… Well, I ended up not contacting you two like promised.”

“Aah, that. It can’t be helped. They actually came and stalled us first.”

“…so they went that far.”

“True, which made me a bit sad.” She sighed. “Every student here should be based on their performance and will to improve, not their birth background. As the President, it’s my important duty to ensure that.”

“Cel…” Chelsea simply murmured, noticing a slight hint of pain in her voice.

“So, while we appreciate the sentiment,” Celina continued. “I’m afraid we must decline. At least for now.”

“I see… I guess it can’t be helped.”

“My apologies.”

“N, no, it’s alright.”

“By the way, weren’t you guys on your way home? I’m pretty sure you guys are tired already.” Chelsea added.

“Eh? I’m still good though!” Alba quickly responded before the others had even the chance to speak. “Right, Hrimgard? Now, I’ve refilled my tank—“

“Forget it, I’m going back to the dorm.”

“Whaaat!? Are you running away!? Hey… Err, Kanzaki! What do you think?”

“Huh!? Well, I don’t know… I want to rest and review the day…”

“Wha— Sassenach?” she turned towards Arthfael.

“Sasse…” he looks surprised before he coughed to continue. “Dueling too much in a day would disturb one’s training hours. Thus, I advise against it.”

“I can’t believe you guys…” Alba slumped her shoulder in defeat.

“There, there.” Chelsea brushed her hair.

“U, ugh, to be comforted by a Sassenach…”

“Prez? Preeez.” Laine suddenly called over. “Are we going?”

“Oh, right, sorry about that.” Celina answered her before turning back to the 1st years. “I have to go now. Take care of yourselves. Oh, and… Sigulf, Alba, congratulations on your victory.”

“Ah… Thank you very much.”

“Thanks…”

“Well then, if you excuse us.”

Smiling, Celina and Chelsea finally left Sigulf’s group to join Lindorm and Laine. The Icelander watched them as they made their way.

“Well, quite a day, huh?” Yuu commented.

“I got to see and learn more today.” Arthfael added.

Alba pouts as she poked Sigulf arm. “You sure you don’t wanna brawl?”

“…I don’t. The rush has died down. Might as well hit the sack today.”

“Aw man… What am I supposed to do now…”

“Um, Hunter-san? Why don’t you swing your claymore a bit more?”

“I know…” she sighed. “Guess I’ll just settle for that, today.”

Alba then heads for the Training Ground, before turning to face the rest.

“But, remember! Next time, we’ll surely fight! And that goes for you two as well!”

“Eeh…”

“…wait, me too?”

Both Yuu and Arthfael looks confused.

“See ya later!”

The three boys saw her left wordlessly.

“She’s… Really a unique individual.” Yuu finally commented.

“Yeah…” Sigulf agreed.

———

Meanwhile, on the student council side…

“Cel…”

“Hm?”

“You could’ve just accepted his offer, you know?”

“…I can’t. This is something I have to do for myself.”

Chelsea sighed. “Goodness, you could be so stubborn sometimes. Aren’t you being too hard on yourself?”

“But—“

“Cel. You can’t expect to fix anything instantly. It’s not that long since you became the President, after all. There are steps on everything.”

“I… I guess so.”

“There’s nothing wrong with asking for help. That’s why I’m here. That’s why Lindorm and Laine are here. And I guess that’s why he offered in the first place. We share the same vision.”

“Chelsea…”

“So don’t push yourself too hard. If you collapse, then who am I going to surpass?” she giggled.

“…you are right. I’m sorry. And thank you.”

“You are welcome. So, should we see the principal later?”

“Already?”

“Mm-hm. It won’t hurt just to ask, right?”

14. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 7
    The next morning, Sigulf woke up strangely feeling refreshed. Getting out form his bed, he tried to move his body a bit.

“Huh, I guess running wild like yesterday got its benefits too.”

Satisfied, Sigulf begun his preparations for the day.

———-

During his way to the school, Sigulf noticed that people are still looking, though now with much less malice.

“Ah, it’s the guy from the noble duel…” one of the girls could be heard by him.

‘Well, at least they don’t hate me as much.’ Sigulf thought. ‘…still tickles, though.’

Sigulf suddenly stopped walking midway as he noticed the blue, puffy ponytail in front of him.

‘It’s her…’

Noticing his presence, Alba turned to face him, her eyes widened a bit.

‘Now what? A duel this early?’ he thought, taking his hands out of the pockets as she approached him.

Surprisingly, she merely raised her hand and greeted, “Yo.”

“…yo.” He returned her greeting warily, noticed that she’s chewing on something.

Alba reached for her pocket and offered some chewing gums to Sigulf.

“Want some?”

“…what the— Meat flavored chewing gum?”

“Uh-huh. Gotta kill the salad’s aftertaste.”

“…no thanks, I’m good.”

“If you say so.”

Alba turned around make her way for the school. Hesitant at first, Sigulf then caught up and matched her pace.

“I wonder how can you quickly forget the taste.”

“I don’t think it was that bad… Granted, still not mutton or cod…”

“It is though. I swear, if I have to eat those again…”

“You’ll what?”

A familiar voice made them both froze before turning around.

“Geh…! It’s her…!” Alba exclaimed.

“Yes, what about me?” Chelsea responded with a scary smile.

Standing beside her, Celina looks a bit unsure while greeting, “Umm, good morning.”

“A, ah. Good morning…” Sigulf greeted back.

“This is no time for greetings!” Alba retorted. “Shit, I won’t let myself got poisoned again…!”

“Ah, hey, wait!” Chelsea tried to stop Alba from running away to no avail. “That said, she’s really fast…”

“Seems you got hated already.” Celina commented.

“Aww, that’s too bad…” the brunette lamented, before she turned her attention towards Sigulf.

“…w, what?”

“You’ll be a good boy and eat some vegetables, right?”

“Good boy!? Err… Are carrot, broccoli and potato enough?”

Chelsea thought for a while before responding, “Hmm, not bad. But you might want to add something more, like tomato. It goes well with a bit of cheese.”

“A, alright…”

Celina sighed at her best friend’s antics. “You’re bothering him, Chelsea. Let’s go already.”

———

As the three reached the school gate, they noticed a crowd not far from them.

“What happened?” Sigulf wondered aloud. “…wait, isn’t that Hunter?”

“Ah, it seems she got stuck there. Good, I haven’t done lecturing her yet!” Chelsea said as she chased for Alba.

“Oh dear…” Celina sighed before she and Sigulf followed her.

Getting closer, Sigulf could finally hear that the crowd is asking Alba questions.

“Could I have a word on what your paired name is?” a female student which strangely dressed like she’s from the newspaper club asked her.

‘…we have those here?’ Sigulf mentally retorted.

“Eh!? Well, I haven’t really thought about it…” she answered. “Ah, maybe Gallowglass?”

“Gallowglass, huh? That’s a fitting name.” Chelsea commented as she suddenly grabbed Alba’s shoulders from behind.

“Waaaugh! It’s the Salad Hag!”

“Fufufu, you have nowhere to run now~”

“It’s Miss Bartram and Miss Kensington!” someone from the crowd pointed out.

“Good morning.” Celina greeted all of them.

“Miss President!” the news girl called to her. “Your thoughts about yesterday’s incident, if you will!”

“Hmm…” Celina seems to be thinking at the question. “It is indeed an unfortunate event, to think such disgraceful act occurred this early… Therefore, it’s a new task as the current President to make sure no dishonorable conducts shall ever happen again on this Academy.”

“Ooh, as expected from our new President!”

“On the other hand,” she continued. “These two has set an example on how no one should be afraid. Your social background doesn’t matter here. It’s your passion that counts.”

The crowd cheered at her mini-speech, while some turned their attention towards Sigulf and Alba.

‘That’s quite the grand one…’ Sigulf thought. ‘Wait, now they are looking at me.’

“And here he is! One of the stars of yesterday’s duel! The Berserk Baron of Blizzard Beasts!”

‘…that’s my nickname now?’

“A word about yesterday, please!”

‘…like I have anything to say here.’

The girl and the crowd eagerly await his response.

“It was… fun.”

“…yes?”

“The intense atmosphere, the adrenaline rush… My blood never boiled like that before.”

“A, alright…?”

As Sigulf left for the class, the girl swore she could see a dangerous glint in his eyes.

“A blood knight through and through. I guess that’s to be expected from a Norse raider. Or their descendant.” She commented, only barely noticed that Alba tried to sneak away.

“Crap.”

“Ah, wait! We still have a lot of questions for you!” the girl said as she chased Alba, followed by the crowd.

“It’s pretty nice to see the 1st-years are so energetic like that, don’t you think?” Chelsea commented.

“I have to agree with that.” Celina replied. “That said…”

“Hm?”

“He was a bit strange just now, wasn’t he?”

“Now that you mention it…”

———

Meanwhile, Sigulf has finally entered the class and reached his seat. Yuu was about to greet him when the Icelander suddenly slammed his face to the desk.

“Sig-kun!? Are you alright!?”

“Mumblemumblemumble”

“…what?”

‘I know I love to fight, but for Loki’s sake, why the fuck did I blurt that?’

Alba arrived later, seemingly managed to shake off her pursuers.

“Whew… Somehow I made it.” She said, trying to catch her breath.

Sigulf looked up to see her. “Yo. Good job.”

“Not ’yo’, dammit. How dare you left your own tag-partner like that.”

“…since when? It’s just for that one-time.”

Not long after, the bell rings and Eliot entered the class like usual.

“Before we begin,” Eliot opened after the class calmed down. “I’m sure you all heard about yesterday’s 2-on-2 duel already. Well, in any case, allow me to congratulate the winners. Hrimgard and Hunter, would you two stand up, please.”

Most of the class gave them a warm applause. Alba looks slightly embarrassed, while Sigulf, still looks kind of surprised, muttered a “Thank you, Sir.”

“Now with that out of the way,” Eliot continued after the two sat down. “It seems we can put the hurdle higher from now on.”

Some of students groaned at his suggestion. Eliot simply gave a slight smirk.

———

At lunch break, just as Sigulf about to head towards the rooftop, he heard some commotion coming from the other way.

‘People are gathering there. I wonder what it is about…’

Curious, Sigulf got closer to take a look. Upon noticing him, some students reacted.

“It’s him…!”

“…he’s kind of scarier up close.”

‘…what?’

Sigulf tried to get a better view, finally realizing it’s a newspaper spread on the notice board.

“Let’s see… ‘The Gallowglass triumphs against the Nobles! Start of a New Era!?’ Hmm, then… ‘The Beast of Hel rises! A dawn of bestial terror!?’— …wait, what the hell?”

He looks at his own photograph, staring coldly, dead straight at the camera.

‘I made that face? And when did they take it? Talk about discreet.’

“Pfft… Bahahahah!”

A familiar laughter made everyone turned around.

“Oh, it’s the heroine, Alba Hunter!” one of the mobs pointed.

“What’s with that face?” she pointed at Sigulf’s photo.

“…I was nervous. Wait, what are you doing here?”

“You made that kind of face when you are nervous?” Alba laughed again.

“U, unbelievable!” a student exclaimed. “She finds it humorous instead of frightening!”

“I guess it’s true… The match for Nordic ferocity is Scottish craziness…” another added.

“Hey, I take offense to that!” Alba retorted.

Meanwhile, Sigulf took one last look at the photo before heading for the stairs.

‘…I have to think of a better expression. And pose.’

———

“Munch munch munch…”

“…”

“So you eat here to avoid people, huh? Nice view from here, though a bit cold.”

“Well, yeah… And again, what are you doing, following me here?”

“Huh? I dunno. I just kinda wanted to.”

“You’ll regret it…” Sigulf sighed.

“Eh? Why?”

In the end, Alba followed Sigulf all the way up to the rooftop, much to his dismay.

“Ah, he’s— Wait, Alba’s here too?”

“Oh? Good afternoon.”

Recognizing the voices, Alba looked up and nearly choked on her food.

“Is this what you meant!? Why didn’t you tell me sooner!?”

“Dunno, kinda don’t want to.”

“Why you…”

“Sheesh, why must you be so unapproachable?” Chelsea pouts. “It’s not like vegetables are going to poison you.”

“I told ya everyone got their own dislikes!” Alba retorted. “And don’t suddenly get so friendly with me!”

Chelsea looks devastated at her outburst.

“Cel… It seems I really got hated…” the brunette lamented.

“There, there…” Celina comforted by patting her best friend’s head.”

“U, ugh… I won’t be deceived…!’

“Ah, you can tell?”

“So you were faking it after all!”

“You’ve got the chemistry already, though.” Sigulf commented.

“Oh, shut up.”

———

After Chelsea laid out the blanket, everyone sat down and eat their lunch.

“…”

While munching her food, Alba looked at the other three warily.

“Hm? What’s the matter?” Celina asked her.

“I just wondered how did he get along with you two, eating together and all.”

“Eh, this? We always have or lunch here, though.” Chelsea responded.

“And I just stumbled upon them, looking for a peaceful spot.” Sigulf added.

“Hmm…” Alba still looks unconvinced. “Not going to look for another spot?”

“Oi, what’s that supposed to mean?”

Celina remembered the similar dialogues from back then.

“No need to. We like it here, after all.” The blonde replied.

“Wait, are you… Are you telling us to go away?” Chelsea followed with her question, looking worried.

“Eh!? No, no, that’s not what I meant! …well, as long as you don’t mess with my menu, I guess.”

“You’ve been really mean towards her.” Sigulf commented half jokingly.

“…you are really enjoying this, huh?”

“But I guess that could be said for you as well.” Celina suddenly said. “Being chummy with him, I mean.”

“Huh?”

“Could it be…!?” Chelsea added. “You use the pretense of rivalry to hide your feeling of love!?”

“…what are you talking about?”

“Oh, too bad, her reaction is too weak. I guess it’s not, then.”

“Testing me for fun, aren’t you!?”

Sigulf, meanwhile, seemingly content with watching their banter while he eats.

‘I guess it’s not so bad having a lively lunch like this once in a while.’ He thought.

———

After the lunch break is over, everyone returned to their respective classes to proceed with the sparring session. On 1st-year’s A-class, before they begin, Eliot had a message for Sigulf, Alba, and Minato.

“Come see the Principal after class.”

Most of the students wondered about what it is about.

‘Should be yesterday’s duel…’ Sigulf thought. ‘But Amakawa? Is it about day zero?’

15. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 8
    Minutes later, the mock duel is underway, in which Alba was chosen as the representative.

“Gaaah!”

“Battle point 0, cannot continue duel.”

“That’s enough! Winner, Alba Hunter!”

Unfortunately for her opponent, the Scottish girl’s skill is too much to overcome. The class promptly cheered at her victory. Alba then took the chance to spin around and pointed her claymore towards the audience, smirking all the while.

‘Hmm, another one.’ Eliot mentally commented. ‘This year’s newcomers are interesting, to say the least.’

After helping her opponent stand up, Alba returns to join the rest of the students.

“Nice fight, Hunter-san.” Yuu congratulated her as she approached.

“Thanks!” Alba responded, before she looks at Sigulf’s direction.

Sigulf made a face as if to say “What?”. Alba simply returns it with a grin.

——-

After class, Sigulf, Alba, and Minato heads to the principal’s room. Despite having ideas why they are summoned, the three of them still looked cautious.

‘Hm? Isn’t that…?’

Sigulf noticed the student council duo, seemingly have the same destination.

“Ah, you three!” Chelsea said as she noticed them as well.

“Good afternoon.” Celina greeted them.

“Good afternoon!” the three replied in unison.

Celina shifted her attention towards the black haired boy.

“And you must be…”

“Ah, right! My name is Minato Amakawa! Nice to meet you!”

“Nice to meet you too.” The blonde responded, still maintaining her neutral expression. “You might have known already, but I’m the student council president, Celina Bartram. And here is my vice-president, Chelsea Kensington.”

“Pleased to be your acquaintance.” The brunette said, slightly bowing.

“No, no, the pleasure is mine!”

“I guess that’s it for the introduction. And now…” Celina continued before knocking.

“Come in.” a woman’s voice could be heard from inside.

Celina opened the door and allowed the newcomers to enter first. It was a fairly large room, with bookshelves on one side, while trophies and medals adorned the opposite. The principal sat right across of them; her seat is turned around, facing the view of the ocean.

“We have brought the first-years.” Celina reported.

“Thank you, Miss Bartram.” The principal replied, still not moving from her chair.

The newcomers didn’t say a word, still looking tense.

“There’s no need to be so nervous.” She suddenly continued, as if she was reading the atmosphere. “I called all of you here not to… punish you.”

“…right.” Sigulf responded warily, catching a hint of seductiveness on her words.

‘If I’m not mistaken, her name… Victoria Stark, wasn’t it?’

“First things first, Hrimgard and Hunter, congratulations on your victory.”

“Thank you, Ma’am.” The pair replied.

“Next, thank you for coming here, even though you might have plans after school.”

“Not at all. It’s alright, Ma’am.” Minato responded.

“I see. Well then…” Victoria continued. “I believe you already have some ideas why I gathered you here?”

“Is it related to yesterday’s duel?” Sigulf tried to take a guess.

“For you two, yes, partially.” She answered. “As for Amakawa, despite what happened before the first day, the faculty has agreed that your potential is worth keeping.”

“My… Potential…?” Minato questioned. Sigulf took a glance at him.

“Correct. Thus, by weighing those factors, Miss Bartram and Miss Kensington have proposed to scout team Gallowglass for the student council, while I personally recommended Amakawa here.”

‘The student council, huh… That’s a bit unexpected, but…’ Sigulf thought, now taking a glance at Celina.

“Wait wait wait!” Alba suddenly said, slightly surprising the boys. “What does that have to do with the council!? I don’t think I can handle all those papers and documents!”

Victoria chuckled at her response. “Oh, you don’t have to worry about that. If it’s for clerical duties, then I believe we have more than enough members already. That said, considering Miss Bartram’s personality, feel free to help with those if you want to.”

Celina cleared her throat at that one, while Chelsea laughs wryly.

“Then what do you mean?” the Scottish girl questioned again.

“Hmm… Considering what I have in my mind, maybe ‘official member’ of the student council wouldn’t be a correct term.”

“Huh?”

“Say, have you met Mr. Svartrotter and Miss Lill?”

Minato looked completely oblivious, while Sigulf and Alba processed it in a few seconds.

“Aah, the metal guy and the mermaid girl!?” Alba exclaimed.

‘…I kinda can see the reasons for those nicknames.’ Sigulf thought.

“Correct.” Victoria continued without breaking her composure. “Those aren’t technically members of the council. Yet, being there yesterday, I’m sure you know what they did.”

“They assisted the council.” Sigulf answered.

“That’s right. Thus my proposal is this: having you three under my authority to perform student council duties as special members.”

Alba looks even more confused while Minato simply commented, “So, like a ghost member? Wait, that doesn’t sound quite right…”

Sigulf raised one of his eyebrows slightly. “May I know what the duties are?”

“Hmm… Considering yesterday’s results, it would be good if in the end your duty is a simple afternoon patrol. However, just in case they haven’t learned their lesson, then you are allowed to fight on the council’s behalf.”

‘Curbing the nobles, huh.’

“Oh, and the aforementioned paperwork. And you might want to help with the festival preparations as well.”

Alba didn’t really listen to the last bit, though, as her eyes sparkles with joy.

“Ooh! Now I see!”

“I can get behind that.” Minato added.

“Wait.” Sigulf interrupted. “If it’s just to intervene with a duel-proposal, I thought we don’t have to be a council member first?”

“Ah… Now that you mentioned it…” Alba added.

“You’re not wrong. Proposing, and accepting or refusing a duel is free here. However, I believe it would have more weight when you are a council member or the approximate equal of it.” Victoria answered.

“…so, ‘the position of authority’.”

“Precisely.”

“Is it alright if I accept your words as it is? I mean, what’s so different with the noble’s ‘position’?”

Sigulf words made everyone tensed, while Chelsea looks worried.

The principal chuckled instead. “My, you asked a lot, don’t you, young man? Not that I hate it.”

“Eh?”

“You do remember what those nobles kept saying, right?” Victoria continued. “That’s what has happened here in last few years. That the nobles have forced their ‘position’, their ‘authority’ over everyone else. They have betrayed the founding principle of this academy.”

The rest silently listened.

“If you are still not convinced, then rest assured. I did a background check after all, thus why I approved Miss Bartram and Miss Kensington’s suggestion, while I specifically picked Amakawa for this. In other words, fight their given ‘authority’ with your earned ‘authority’. Well, if they decided to strike back that is.”

“…and what if I failed? Or came to abuse said authority?”

Victoria laughed at his words. “Oh, are you doubting my judgement? And you know as well you won’t. But, in the worst possible case, I’ll take responsibility for it.”

‘Vague…’

“So, how about it? Would you help us to guide this academy back on its right path?”

Celina and Chelsea waits for their response.

“You know,” Alba suddenly talked. “It sounds nice and all, but how are we supposed to know that you are sincere when you face the other way all the time?”

There was a short silence and the atmosphere got a bit lighter.

‘…shit, she’s right. I guess that’s what bothers me.’ Sigulf thought.

“My apologies. How rude of me. Very well.”

The principal finally turned her chair and stood up. At first, Victoria looked at the first years with a confident smile. When she set her eyes on Sigulf, however…

“Oh my.”

“…huh? What?”

“Even though you have quite the attitude, seeing you in person…” she muttered.

“…pardon me?”

Victoria said nothing as she approached Sigulf and inched her face closer, taking a good look at his face.

“!?”

“What!?” Alba and Minato can’t hide their surprise.

“Hmm…”

“Ma’am, what are you—“ Celina protested as she and Chelsea approached them.

‘She’s… Too close…’ Sigulf thought. ‘But looking her up close, she’s gorgeous, in a different way from Celina. And she smells nice… Wait, what am I thinking right now?’

“I see.” Victoria said as she backed away from Sigulf. “A fine young lad. I can see why you two… wanted him so bad.”

“…huh?”

“What do you mean, Ma’am?” Celina asked, slightly irritated while she and Chelsea now took a defensive position.

“Hm? I thought it was you two who suggested him?”

‘…is she even talking about that in the first place?’ Sigulf mentally retorted.

“Well, in any case, they have yet to make their decision, so I’ll ask again. Would you help us to guide this academy back on its right path?”

The first years looked at each other, before Minato finally speaks.

“There is still too much stuff I need to know, but… If it’s for everyone’s greater good, then I’ll join!”

“As expected from you. Hunter?”

“I’ll pass.”

The students, especially Chelsea, were surprised at her answer.

“Hunter-san!?”

“Oh?”

“I don’t hate the idea, but I’d rather do it on my own terms. And, well, practice when I have the time instead of patrolling.“

“Is that so… Then so be it. And… You?”

Sigulf said nothing as he seemed to be thinking.

‘Alba not joining was a bit unexpected. …Still, I can’t let Amakawa join the council alone.’

Sigulf sighed before he finally answered, “I still don’t think that this counts as earned ‘authority’. But very well, I’ll take your challenge.”

“My, how distrusting.” She chuckled. “Still, I am grateful.”

At that, Celina sighed out of relief. It’s finally over.

“Well then,” Victoria continued. “Mr. Hrimgard, Mr. Amakawa, welcome aboard. Miss Hunter, it’s unfortunate, but I sincerely hope that we’ll keep sharing the same interests.”

“Huh, yeah, sure.” Alba responded nonchalantly.

‘She really hates the English or something…’

“I guess that’s all for today. Again, thank you for gathering here. Miss Bartram, if you will, about the details for later.”

“Understood.”

“Alright, you are dismissed.”

“Thank you, Ma’am!” the students responded in unison.

‘Whew, it’s done…’ Sigulf thought. ‘So next is briefing from Celina, and— Huh?’

Just as he was about to turn around, his eyes met with Victoria’s and—

‘!?’

His heart skips a beat.

‘Did she just—‘ Sigulf blinked in disbelief.

“Hm? Is something the matter?”

‘…just my imagination?’

“…no, it’s nothing.”

“I see. Well, take care.”

Sigulf followed the rest to exit the room.

‘…she didn’t just wink at me, did she?’

When Celina finally closed the door, the principal is all alone now.

“Fufufu…” Victoria chuckled. “My, such a fine young lad you have raised, Vigdis.”

———

Outside, after making sure they are far enough, Celina and Chelsea suddenly turned to face Sigulf.

“Eh?”

“Are you alright?”

“A, are you alright, Sigulf!? Did she touch you somewhere strange!?”

“What!? …oh, I’m alright, thanks.”

Chelsea sighed out of relief, while Celina softened her expression.

‘My heart is still not alright, though…’

“But the principal… She is really… Something, isn’t she?” Minato commented.

“True. Back in our first year, she was nothing like that. Always calm and stern.” Celina added.

‘So why…’ Sigulf wondered.

“Putting that aside,” the blonde continued, now looking at the Scottish girl. “Are you sure about this, Alba?”

The girl in question kept his neutral expression.

“I guess…” she replied. “I like it better when I have more freedom.”

Her answer made Chelsea looks a bit sad.

“Oh, come on!” Alba groaned. “It’s not like we’ll never meet again! This island isn’t that big anyway!”

“…really? We’ll meet again?”

“Uwaa, that’s so out of character for you…”

“Right? Even I think so too.”

“Why you…”

“You know,” Sigulf interrupted their banter. “I don’t see the reason why wouldn’t you join. Is patrolling really that bad for you?”

“Like I say, I’d rather use any available time to train, so yes, it’s not good.”

“Ah, about that…” Celina suddenly spoke. “I know it’s officially a shared task, but most of the time, Lindorm and Laine will insist so that they are the ones doing the patrol.”

“…eh?”

“Come to think of it, yesterday’s 4-man patrol was one after a long time, right?” Chelsea added.

Alba fell silent.

“Beginning to feel lonely?” Sigulf teased.

“…shut up.”

16. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 9
    In the end, the group parted with Alba and returned to the council room.

“Oh, there they are. Preeez~ Vice-preeeez~”

Waiting in front of the door, Laine waved at Celina’s group. Lindorm simply took off his headphones.

“I’m sorry. Did I make you wait?” Celina apologized.

“Nn? Naah, it’s cool.” Laine reassured, before looking at the rest. “Claymore’s not here?”

“Claymore…” Chelsea laughed wryly at the nickname. “Well, unfortunately, she’s not.”

“Aah, that’s too bad…”

“Then again, she does have the same objectives like us.” Celina added. “Sooner or later, we’ll see her again, so you don’t have to look that down.”

“Heeey, what’s that supposed to mean?”

Celina simply shrugged at Chelsea’s feigned annoyance.

‘Is it just me or do I smell a slight hint of sadness here?’ Sigulf thought.

He doesn’t have the chance to continue though, as Sigulf felt the mostly silent 2nd-year Norwegian is staring at him for some reason.

“…what?”

Lindorm didn’t respond.

“Oh? It’s unusual to see Lindy interested in someone.”

He promptly cleared his throat at the nickname. There goes the tense atmosphere.

“Something on my face?” Sigulf asked him once more.

Lindorm regained his composure and simply replied, “Well met, kinsmen.”

Sigulf blinked before getting what he meant.

“Oh. Fellow Norse.”

“Aye. Bergen. You?”

“Bolungarvik.”

Lindorm paused for a moment.

“A village?”

“Uh huh.”

“Hmm…”

“So the Vikings have gathered.” Laine suddenly added. “What were they called… The Great Heathen Army?”

“Uh, yeah. What about it?”

“Tag team name? Just like your and Alba’s Gallowglass.”

“Eh, I don’t have plans for that yet…”

“Brothers should fight together.”

“Brothers…?”

“Well, you see, Lindy here is weird like that. Next, he’ll prolly make you join his band.”

Lindorm cleared his throat again at Laine’s comment.

‘I kinda can see that… Bet he plays black metal…’ Sigulf mentally commented.

The sound of door being opened pulled the three’s attention back.

“Let’s continue while we have some tea. What do you say?” Celina offered.

“Oh, right. Sure.” Sigulf quickly replied.

———

The sound of water being boiled could be heard as Chelsea prepared the tea. Nearby, the rest of them are sitting on the sofas; Sigulf and Minato sat across Lindorm and Laine, while Celina’s seat is on the third, middle sofa.

‘They got something like this, huh? Lux.’ Sigulf mentally commented as he observed the student council’s very own beverage station, comfortably located at the corner of the room. At this time, no one from outside the group remained on the main section nearby, where, presumably, the usual work takes place.

“Oh, that’s right. Sigulf, Minato, what would you like to have?” Chelsea called out, catching the boys’ attention.

“Eh? Mm… Milk tea, please.”

“Err… Do you have oolong?”

“I think we still have some. Cel and the others will have the usual, right?”

“Mm-hm.”

“Okay, just give me a minute.” Chelsea said as she resumed brewing the tea.

‘Tea and— Wait, she’s already eating.’ Sigulf noticed as Laine already enjoyed some of the assorted snacks.

“Ah, feel free to take those.” Celina informed them.

“Ish good.” Laine added while munching.

“Well then…”

The boys reached out to grab their snacks; Sigulf took a chocolate macaron, while Minato picked a pack of potato sticks.

“Oh, your taste is quite unexpected.” Celina commented.

“Who? Me?” Sigulf quickly responded before Minato got a chance.

“Yes. Never thought you are the type who likes sweets.”

“Well… I get that sometimes.”

“Legit thought you’ll get something that goes well with black coffee. Just like him.” Laine added while motioned to Lindorm. The boy in question simply cleared his throat, again.

‘I really give that kind of impression, huh?’ Sigulf thought.

“Sorry to keep you waiting!” Chelsea announced, getting everyone’s attention. “Here’s your tea.”

“Thank you.” Celina replied as she took her cup.

Sigulf took a peek at her tea.

‘Ah, it’s milk tea as well. Kind of expected, but still…’

“Brother.” Lindorm suddenly said, pulling Sigulf out from his reverie. “This is not an adequate replacement of our ancestor’s drinking horn and ale, but—“

“Err, what?”

“Psst!” Laine interrupted without even trying to be discreet. “Play along.”

Sigulf sighed, while Lindorm ignored her and continues, “To celebrate this meeting between Norsemen, let us raise our drinks for the Old Gods.”

Sigulf half-reluctantly follows Lindorm’s lead.

“”Skal.””

“Ooh! That’s quite the display!” Minato commented.

“I assure you, we don’t actually do this for everything.” Sigulf responded.

“Good for you, huh?” Chelsea chuckled.

“Ah, that’s right! Senpai, aren’t we going to have a briefing or something?”

Sigulf blinked at Minato’s words.

‘Shit, he’s right.’ The Icelander realized. ‘I got carried away by the comfy tea party.’

“Well, actually, there’s not much to be briefed on the first place.” Celina said while putting down her tea cup.

“What do you mean?”

“As you might have known, one of the duties are patrolling while gathering for some information. And it’s done whenever possible, including the school hours. But—”

“Nope, nope. I’m not letting anyone join our squad.” Laine quickly interrupted.

“—so she said.”

“Wait, why!?” Minato protested.

“Because we suck at papers, that’s why.”

Minato wasn’t sure at how to respond, while Lindorm glared at her and said, “We?”

“Can you?”

“I composed many hymns for the Old Gods.”

“Writing a black metal song is different from handling formal documents.”

“…”

‘Ah, so he conceded.’ Sigulf thought.

“But still, isn’t it strange?” Minato continued.

“What is?”

“Aren’t you short on people for this? It’s just—“

“The two of us? Are underestimating us?”

The sudden change in Laine’s tone made the atmosphere tense. It was nothing like the usual her.

‘Is this the trait of the secret unit?’

“…maybe I am.” Minato answered, surprising everyone.

“Oh?”

“Still, I think this position needs more members, even if it’s just one person. As small as this island is, wouldn’t it yield better information gathering with more people?”

“…well, you kind of got a point there.”

“Then—“

“But how about the paperwork?”

“That’s… Then I’ll do them both!”

“You know you can’t”. Laine sighed at Minato’s tenacity. “Besides, what is it for you?”

“Because I love this school!”

“…huh?”

“After I fought Hestianus-san, and see the other duelists, I realized how much love they have for dueling! But as long as the nobles—“

“Whoa, wait wait wait. You do know you are here for not even a week, right?”

“Huh? Yeah, I know. What about it?”

The tension disappeared, and Laine went speechless for a moment before saying, “Lindy, how do I talk with guys like this?” Lindorm simply shrugged.

“Now, now. Why don’t you give him a chance? A trial-week, perhaps?” Chelsea suggested.

“A week is a bit— Oh, well.” Laine finally gave up. “But you better listen to us, a’ight?”

“Yes! Thank you very much, Senpai!”

‘The passionate type, huh.’ Sigulf mentally noted.

“Brother.” Lindorm suddenly called out to him

‘…oh, for Loki’s sake.’

“Will you join us as well?”

“Eeeeeh? Come on, Lindy.” Laine half-protested. “One new-recruit is already a bit too much. ‘sides, who gonna help the Prez?”

‘! That’s it!’

“Now that you mention it…” Chelsea said, remembering what Victoria told them.

“But—“

“Cel, are you going to deny help again?” Chelsea cut her best friend off.

“It’s not that.” She sighed. “It’s just… I’m afraid it will be too boring for him.”

“…I don’t mind, actually.” Sigulf suddenly responded.

“Eh?”

“If it’s just clerical duties, I think I can handle it just fine.”

‘Plus, I know well why it wouldn’t be boring.’ He mentally finished.

Celina paused for a moment before finally saying, “You have my gratitude.”

“It’s alright. I just want to help.” Sigulf replied.

“So, I guess that means you’ll have a 1-week trial with us then.” Chelsea added.

“Yeah. I’m in your care now.”

“Eeh, make it longer.” Laine interjected. “We don’t want to teach yet another rookie.”

“Don’t say things like that.” Chelsea pouted. “You were too free, so let’s make it a bit organized since we got new members.”

“So it was ‘do what you want’ situation before?” Sigulf asked

“Well, it’s not official in the traditional sense after all.”

“Ah right… Kinda understand that.”

“So… What do we do next?” Minato brought up the issue.

“Since there’s no more paperwork for the day—“

“You are free to go home, while we go to patrol.” Laine cut Celina off. “And teach our rookie a thing or two. …right?”

Celina glared at Laine.

“Eep…! S, sorry, Prez…”

“I know!” Chelsea exclaimed. “Why don’t we have a patrol together?”

“Whaaaaaat?” Laine protested. “After we divided the role just now?”

“Make it effective starting tomorrow.” Celina sternly said. “Plus, you’re not the only one who wants to unwind after a day’s school.”

‘…so it was for unwinding?’ Sigulf mentally retorted.

“Alright, save your banters for later!” Chelsea said. “You all done with your tea, right? Then let’s go!”

“Oh well…” Laine sighed. “Amakawa, listen to what Lindy said, ‘kay?”

“I thought it was ‘our’ job?” Lindorm protested.

The group then finish what they can before getting up, preparing themselves to leave the room.

‘So I’m with Celina and Chelsea for the time being.’ Sigulf thought. ‘Gotta try and do my best, then.’

17. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 10
    The sky has turned orange when the Council group left the building. Outside the gates, they can see some students are still around, whether to train or have some fun in the Amusement District.

“Alright, let’s begin our patrol!” Chelsea announced enthusiastically.

“Err, Vice Prez,” Laine spoke up while raising her hand. “Since there’s so many of us, how about we split up?”

“Yeah, let’s do that. 3 and 3 split, then?”

Laine sighed. “We really have to show him the ropes, huh? Fine then…”

“Please guide me, Senpai!” Minato said eagerly. Lindorm simply nodded, while Laine sighed again.

“Alright, so we’ll take the Northern area, and you take the South.” Celina exclaimed. “Is that fine with you?”

“Aye aye, Prez.”

“Good. Then see you later at the front gate.”

“””Yes, Ma’am!”””

The group finally split up to begin their patrol.

“A’ight, Amakawa. Better listen closely to what Lindy— I mean, we say, ‘kay?”

“Understood, Senpai!”

Chelsea chuckled. “He’s really into it.”

“I guess having him with Laine and Lindorm was the right choice after all.” Celina added. “Come on, Chelsea, Sigulf. We mustn’t fall behind.”

“I got your back!”

“Understood.”

———

Minutes later, the three are walking among the Amusement District. Indeed, the two girls seemed to be unwinding themselves more than actual patrolling. Still, that’s not the thing that bugged Sigulf the most.

‘…why am I getting overly conscious here? It’s just an afternoon stroll.’ Sigulf thought, trying to keep few paces behind them.

“Hm?” Celina noticed that Sigulf is a bit too far away. “Is something the matter?”

“Huh? Oh, nothing…”

Celina is still a bit unconvinced, but she couldn’t point out the problem either. Instead, Chelsea decided to step forward and approached Sigulf.

“Hmm…”

“…what is it?”

“By any chance, are you—“

“…?”

“Getting nervous from walking together with two beautiful upperclasswomen? …kidding, there’s no way, right?”

“Eh…?”

“…eh?”

There was a momentary silence between Sigulf and Chelsea.

“Eeh!? So I was right!? That was supposed to be a joke, though!”

Sigulf couldn’t say anything and simply looked away, trying to hide his embarrassment.

‘More like just Celina… But still…’ he mentally corrected.

“…what are you two doing?” Celina sighed.

“I was just trying to break the ice.” Chelsea replied. “But it seems our new recruit has something else on his mind…”

‘Well shit… Gotta change the subject, or—‘

Luckily for him, Celina seems disinterested.

“Yes, yes. It’s just the usual youth things, isn’t it?”

“You’re no fun.” Chelsea pouted. “And why did you talk like some old lady?”

“O, old lady? …well, anyways, let’s move on. We can’t stay here forever.”

“Okaaay…”

‘Good thing she didn’t dig deeper.’ Sigulf thought with relief. ‘Now, while we’re at it…’

“Umm, Prez. May I ask something?” he dared himself to ask.

“Hmm? What is it?”

“How are we supposed to find the nobles in the first place?”

“Ah, I see you’re still hung up on that. But don’t worry about that.”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s true that the Principal did expect us to something along that line, but in the end that’s not the main goal of our patrol. If anything we have to gather information and prepare for other non-noble-related problems.”

“I see…”

“Well, that, and the fact that you two destroyed some of them will surely inspire Arthfael and the likes to straighten the rest of the nobles.”

“So, don’t get too tense like that!” Chelsea added. “Nothing’s better than gathering info while having a relaxing walk!”

“Well… I suppose so…”

“I know, right? So, should we grab something to eat?” Chelsea continued.

Celina sighed again, “You are taking this too lightly, though…”

“…I want a chocolate crepe.” Sigulf muttered.

———

Unfortunately for them, they didn’t get very far, as Celina got a phone call.

“Laine?” Celina said as she saw the caller’s name before connecting. “Yes. What happened?”

“Err, Prez?” Laine said from over the phone. “Could you come over here? Someone climbed a tree.”

“…what?”

“Some random kitten got stuck on a tree, and another random first-year tried to hel— Whoa, she nearly slipped! Anyways, you better hurry!”

Laine cut the call without giving Celina the chance to reply, only sending coordinates for the place afterwards.

“…you hear that?”

“Yeah.” Chelsea answered.

“What are cats doing here?” Sigulf asked.

“If I remember correctly, the Japanese sponsors did bring few strays to this island. That, or they are local staff’s pets.”

“So, just like the unusually high number of the cherry blossoms around?”

“Mm-hm.”

“OK, got it.”

———

Few moments later, they arrived at the scene, with some students already gathered there.

‘Isn’t that… Members of our class after all, huh?’ Sigulf thought, recognizing the faces of Alba, Yuu, Eurypha, Carmen, and Walter among the crowd.

“Ah, Prez! You’re finally here!” Laine exclaimed.

“Did someone get hurt?” Celina asked her.

“No, but… Well…” she trailed off and eyed the tall tree nearby, where a girl could be seen crouching on one of the branches.

‘Ilma? And it’s quite high up there…’ Sigulf mentally commented.

“Hiltunen-san!” Minato shouted. “Please get down from there! We will handle this!”

Ilma ignored him, and slowly crawled forward towards the kitten.

“Come here… Don’t be afraid…” she said in a low voice.

Despite that, the kitten seems afraid and backed off instead.

“…why are you— Come on, get over here…” Ilma tried again half insistently.

‘Well of course that kitten would be afraid…’ Sigulf mentally retorted.

The kitten kept backing off until there’s no more branches to be stepped on.

“!”

“Oh my god, the kitten!” one of the spectators yelled as it falls.

“Tch!”

Ilma quickly kicked the branch with all of her strength and launches towards the kitten.

“What is she doing!?”

“Hiltunen-san!!”

On reaction, Minato dashed as fast as possible and then dives, aiming to be the cushion for their fall.

“Gotcha…!”

Meanwhile, Ilma managed to catch the kitten mid-air. Hugging it close to her chest, she then flips her body, and ends up crashing Minato with her back.

“Gwah…!”

The two of them reeled over for a while, before finally stopping, lying motionlessly.

“…”

Almost everyone was stunned in silence, fearing that something bad has happened, until the kitten, apparently uninjured, let out a confused meow.

“…ah, good to see you are okay.” Ilma said to it.

“I could say the same to you…” Minato added from under her.

“S, someone get the nurse!” Another one from the crowd shouted.

The crowd went alive once more; a mixture of cheering and commotion. The Student Council group, Eurypha, and Carmen approached them.

“Amakawa!”

“Rookie! Are you alive!?”

Ilma slowly stood up, still holding the kitten, while Minato finally managed to sit on the ground.

“Why did you do that?” Ilma suddenly asked him, without even bothering to turn around.

“Huh?”

“I didn’t ask for your help.”

“What!? I was just—“

Ilma ignored him and begun to walk away.

‘That’s quite cold.’ Sigulf mentally commented.

Minato sighed and tries to get up. However, as his legs are still not steady because of the previous impact…

“!?”

He slipped, and in desperation, tried to grab for something, only to completely pull Ilma’s skirt down.

“Wha—“

Once again, almost everyone went silent.

“Waaah!!” Chelsea finally screamed after she regained her composure, and covered both of Sigulf’s eyes. “Good kids mustn’t see this!”

‘Too late… Still, how in the Nine Worlds he managed to do that?’

“What is he doing!?” Celina expressed her shock and disbelief over what happened in front of her.

“Aaamaaakaaawaaa…!” Eurypha could be heard growling in fury.

“Even though he already has me? Unforgivable!” Carmen showed her dissatisfaction as well.

“N, no! That wasn’t on purpose! It’s an accident!” Minato tried to explain himself, slowly backing away from Ilma.

The Finnish girl, on the other hand, seemed to be unfazed. Putting down the kitten, she picked up her skirt and wears it once more.

“Don’t worry.” She said.

“Eh?”

“I won’t challenge you to a duel or anything.”

Minato was about to sigh when he suddenly felt a movement. Instinctively, he rolled away and finally realized that Ilma was just tried to assault him.

“I’ll strangle you to death instead. So stop moving your sorry ass.”

“That’s even worse!!”

Minato managed to get up and quickly made his escape.

“Ah! Come back here, you pervert!!” Eurypha yelled and chased him.

“Minato! Don’t run away and explain yourself!” Carmen followed suit.

“Perkele…!” Ilma muttered under her breath and joined the pursuit.

“Oh boy…” Laine sighed. “Come on, Lindy. We don’t want our new recruit to harass the rest of the island.”

Lindorm said nothing and simply nodded.

“Heeey, girls!” Laine continued as they chased the four. “Don’t kill him just yet!”

For the third time, the crowd was at a loss of words, before Chelsea broke it.

“A, alright!” she exclaimed. “That’s it! No more show for today! Feel free to return to your previous activities and please be careful on your way home!”

The mobs have no choice but to disperse. Some of them predictably complained about Minato’s predicament. Meanwhile, Alba quickly bolted off without getting noticed; partly to train some more, and partly to avoid Chelsea. Yuu, having noticed Sigulf, waved at him before going back. The Icelander returned the gesture. And the kitten’s mother finally showed up, taking it back home. Before long, only the three remained there.

“Well, that should do it.” Chelsea said. “Now what?”

“Hm? Oh, that’s right! Sigulf! What’s that about?” Celina addressed him.

“Err… Even if you asked me…” Sigulf responded. “Well, as far as I know, he accidentally walked in on Hestianus changing once, and… fell on top of Rosales another time. Don’t know if more happened before and after.”

“H, hmm… And he doesn’t seem to be the lying type.”

“Yeah… Even my nose told so too.”

“Uwah… That’s scary…” Chelsea commented. “Three times already? It’s like making lucky accidents is his innate talent. And an uncontrolled, always active one, at that.”

The three fell silent for a moment, trying to comprehend the Minato phenomenon.

“My head hurts.” Celina sighed. “Let’s buy some drinks first before we resume our patrol.”

“Yeah, let’s do that.” Chelsea agreed.

“Mm.”

The three then headed to the nearby mini-mart. Midway, Sigulf stopped for a moment and looked back.

‘Lucky accidents, huh?’

He turned around and silently watched the two upperclasswomen in front of him.

‘Guess I have to thank him for this time.’

18. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 11
    The next day, just as the lunch break begins…

“Hm?”

Sigulf noticed some students are gathered in front of the bulletin board.

‘Is it…?’

Seemingly have an idea, he heads there to join the crowd as well.

‘Figures… That said, they sure work fast.’ Sigulf mentally commented upon reading the news.

“A Lucky Bastard blessed by the Heavens, or a Molester from Hell!? Advent of the Eromancer!” was written in big letters, with a blacked-eyes portrait of Minato pictured on the article. The mobs could be heard grumbling.

“Dammit!” one of them lamented. “The third one already!? It’s so easy for him just to have an accident and call it done!”

“Hmm… This is kind of unexpected…” A familiar voice added. Sigulf turned to see it was Yuu.

“Oh, hey.” Sigulf greeted him.

“Yo.” Yuu responded. “What do you think?”

“This? Hmm… I kinda wanna think that this is a bit overblown, but…”

“So it bugs you too, huh? If this keeps up, no girls on this island will be safe from him.”

“…seriously?”

“Seriously. Some already say it’s like a talent.”

“Talent, huh… Speaking of which, where’s the guy?”

“You didn’t see? I think the three girls dragged him off to the café.”

“Hmm…”

“Well, in any case, something must be done…” Yuu murmured. “Else he’ll get all the fun.”

“Something like what?”

“That’s the problem. Still not sure what to do. You’d help?”

“Not exactly that, but I have my own worries about it…”

“I don’t really get it, but OK…?”

“Oh, so you are here.” Another familiar voice suddenly joined their conversation.

The boys turned their attention and saw Alba.

“Hunter-san!”

“Hey!” she greeted Yuu before facing Sigulf. “What, you are not eating on the rooftop like usual?”

“I was going to.” Sigulf replied. “But how about you?”

“Geh…! No way! I’ll have my lunch in peace, thanks!”

“How mean. She’ll be sad if she hear that, you know.”

“Ugh… It’s probably just to mess up with me…”

“I wonder about that…”

“I don’t really understand what’s going on, but you two sure are close.” Yuu commented.

“…huh?”

“What?”

“Oh, you are not?”

“We are not.” Alba dismissed. “Well, yeah, for a one-time tag team, we worked surprisingly fine, but still… People been saying that a lot.”

“Tag team… Could this be…” Yuu seemed to be thinking at the word.

“What’s wrong?” Sigulf asked him.

“Sig-kun, Hunter-san, sorry, but could you join me for lunch? There are things I want to ask.”

“Eh? But I—“

“Oooh, gladly!” Alba suddenly answered and circling her hand around Sigulf’s neck.

“What the… Different attitude already?”

“Oh? You don’t even want to eat with your tag partner? That’s cold. And cruel…” she faked her disappointment and strengthened her grip.

“Why you… This is to get back at me, isn’t it?”

“I wonder what are you talking about~ Alright, let’s go!” Alba said as she released Sigulf and pushed him forward.

“Wait! What are you—!?”

“Come on, don’t be stubborn!”

“Oh, thank you, Sig-kun, Hunter-san!” Yuu expressed his gratitude.

“No problem! And just call me Alba!” she laughed.

‘Aaah, my lunch with Celina…’ Sigulf mentally lamented as he being pushed further towards the cafe.

———

Meanwhile, on the rooftops…

“It’s a bit quiet without them today.” Celina said.

“Oh, did you miss someone?” Chelsea teased.

“Says you.”

“Sheesh, Cel, I was just quarter-joking.”

“…quarter?”

———

In the end, Yuu asked the Gallowglass in-depth stuff about their tag duel, though Sigulf somehow got a feeling it’s less about the actual battle. On the other hand, the three missed the fact that almost every boy sent their deathly glares towards Minato, while Walter tried his best to convince the girls so they don’t murder the Japanese boy on the spot. And then, during the practice session…

“So it’s her, huh…” Sigulf commented as Ilma makes her way towards the center of the room.

“And she’s pretty pissed.” Yuu added, laughing wryly. “Well, considering what happened yesterday… I feel bad for her opponent.”

Indeed, Ilma wears an expression different from her usual uncaring one, making the opponent slightly unnerved. It’s as if a violent storm is about to rage.

“Summon your True Arms!”

With Eliot’s usual cue, both fighters get into position to summon their weapons. Ilma crossed her arms in front of her, taking a pose similar to Sigulf’s. As she began chanting, swirling green aura formed around her.

“O Mistress of the Nether… Let the wind of eternal sleep and oblivion blows… I welcome thee, Tuonetar!”

The aura dispersed and a pair of modern-looking military knives materialized in Ilma’s hands.

“Hee… A wind user, huh?” Yuu commented.

Ilma and her opponent prepared themselves, waiting for Eliot’s signal.

“En garde!”

Even though their bodies stayed still, the air around them is heavy and getting tenser every passing moment.

“Begin!”

Just as Eliot announced the cue, Ilma has already dashed right to the front of her opponent.

“Wha—“

‘She’s crazy fast!’ Yuu thought.

Slash slash slash!

“Ugh!”

Ilma passed her opponent, landing three attacks in the process.

“Battle points, down by 15%.”

“D, did you see that!?” one of the spectators asked their colleagues.

Some of the students went into commotion from her display of speed.

‘I see. So that’s her style.’ Sigulf mentally noted. ‘Her attacks maybe aren’t that strong, but that speed… Definitely one I shouldn’t take lightly.’

Saying nothing, Ilma turned around to face her opponent and charged once more.

———

In the end, Ilma proved to be too much for her opponent to handle.

“That’s enough! Winner, Ilma Hiltunen!”

As she made her way to the rest of the class, Ilma shot a death glare towards Minato.

“She’s not going to forgive me, huh…” Minato lamented.

“Come on, dude! That’s nothing to be sad for! You got three cute chicks chasing after you!” Walter joked, earning a foot stomp from Eurypha. “Yeowch! What’s that for!?”

“I’m NOT chasing him!” she hissed.

“Jeez, calm down! It’s just a joke…”

“Oh, you are not? Then I guess I’ll take him for myself.” Carmen responded.

“No way! A pervert like you would just corrupt him even more!”

“If that means making him submit, then why not?”

“Why you…!”

“What? You got a problem?”

The class isn’t officially over, yet Eurypha and Carmen are already making a ruckus.

‘There they go again…’ Sigulf mentally commented. ‘And what about Sir Fortier?’

He turned around, only to see Eliot say, “Well, I guess class is dismissed for today. Be careful on your way home, everyone.”

‘Yeah, he totally doesn’t care about this…’

———

After class, Sigulf is packing his belongings when someone unusual called out to him.

“Hrimgard, wasn’t it? Do you have a moment?”

‘What could she possibly want?’ Sigulf wondered as he faced Eurypha.

“You are with the council just like Mi— Amakawa, right? Would you mind to accompany us there?”

Taking a better look, Sigulf noticed that she’s with Carmen and Ilma, who are standing in such positions so Minato can’t get away.

“Well, I don’t mind. I’m going there anyway.”

“That’s good to hear. My gratitude.”

“…why am I being treated like some criminal here?” Minato complained.

“Because you are! Plus you’ll probably run away!” Eurypha retorted.

“I’m not!”

“Oh yeah? Like you did few times before?”

“Those were different! And why would I run away when I have duties there!?”

“…”

“…he got a point.” Ilma commented.

“Ah, sheesh! This is stupid! C’mon, let’s go already!” Eurypha said as she furiously stamped off.

“What’s her problem…” Minato sighed while following her, still guarded by Carmen and Ilma.

“The Fire Princess, huh. Fitting, maybe.” Sigulf muttered before he joins them as well.

———

Upon arriving, Eurypha knocked the council door few times.

“Come in.” answered a voice that is unmistakably Celina’s.

Entering the room, Sigulf noticed that there are few other students working besides the usual four. Conversely, Celina seems a bit surprised with the crowd he brought.

“Oh,” Celina said as she stood. “Can I help you?”

“It’s been a while, President.” Eurypha greeted, and somehow, uncharacteristically a bit nervous.

“It is.” Celina replied, smiling slightly. “Good to see you are doing well. Is there something we can help you?”

“Well, actually… I would like to join the Student Council.”

There was a bit of silence before Minato suddenly went, “Eeeeeeh!? But why!?”

“Of course it’s to keep a better eye on you, pervert!”

“Oh, I see. So this is about yesterday’s…” Celina trailed off, laughing bitterly.

“Ah, well, yes… It’s for the good of this academy, I think.” Eurypha concluded.

“…I thought you were going to report him?” Ilma said, looking slightly annoyed.

“What’s the point of doing that? If anything, we have to make sure he’s not going anywhere on his own!”

“So you’re treating me like some criminal after all!” Minato retorted.

“Huh, sometimes you could be smart too. Color me impressed, Hestianus.” Carmen commented.

“What do you mean sometimes!?”

“Ssh! Pipe down!” Chelsea reprimanded as she came over to join Celina and the first years.

“A, ah, we’re sorry…”

“But, hmm… Joining the council, huh… What do you think, Cel?”

“Considering her abilities, I do think she would be a good addition. But…”

“But…?”

“Since this seems to be a… Special case related to Amakawa here, we may have to ask for the Principal’s approval first.”

“I see…” Eurypha responded. “Then—“

“Umm, President? May I join as well?” Carmen cut her off.

“Wait, what!? What are you thinking!?”

“Like I’m going to let you monopolize Minato.”

“I, I’m not monopolizing him!” Eurypha somehow stammered. “I’m setting him straight, that’s all!”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. Sheesh, you’re such a child.”

“What was that!?”

“…President.” Ilma spoke up, ignoring the two’s bickering. “I want to join too.”

“You too!?”

“…got problem with that?”

Chelsea laughed wryly, “Oh dear… Cel, what do you say now?”

The girl in question sighed, “I’m not really sure what’s going on here, but for now, I’ll pass the word to the Principal.”

“Well, we need more help after all, remember?”

“I suppose you’re right…”

“Miss President, Miss Vice President, thank you very much!” Eurypha said gratefully.

“It’s still a bit too soon for that.” Celina replied. “Let’s just hope the Principal would approve.”

Just as she has done talking, the door opened, revealing the pair of Laine and Lindorm.

“Ah, sorry we’re la— Hm?” the girl apologized before realizing the situation. “What’s with the crowd?”

“Oh, there you are.”

“…wait, now that I remembered… They are not going to sue us for yesterday, are they?”

“Nope. It could be even better, actually.” Chelsea answered while grinning.

“Eh?”

“Assuming the Principal agrees, you’ll have three new recruits under your command.”

Laine was left stunned, while Lindorm let out a confused, “Yay…?”

“Ma’am, Sir,” Eurypha addressed the two. “We’re looking forward to your guidance!”

“…are you kidding me?” Laine lamented, slumping her shoulders.

Minato sighed, while Chelsea retorted, “Come on now, Laine. I appreciate your hard work, but it’s time to be more organized, don’t you think?”

“Umm, sorry,” Sigulf finally interrupted after being silent for a while. “Is there any work I can help here?”

Celina and Chelsea blinked.

“Oh, right! I’m sorry, I nearly forgot!” Chelsea apologized before leading him to the nearby seat. “Umm, here. I need you to help with these papers. Could you?”

“Yeah, sure. No problem.”

“Alright, we’re counting on you!”

“Well then,” Celina said. “Laine’s team, you may start patrolling now. Hestianus, Rosales, Hiltunen, please come with us to see the Principal.”

“Yes, Ma’am…”

“Understood.”

“Sigulf, we’ll be back later.”

“Be a good boy, okay?” Chelsea added jokingly.

“Roger.” Sigulf responded with a salute.

The group then left the room, with Eurypha and Ilma shot a glare towards Minato on their way out.

“Alright, let’s do this.” Sigulf mumbled to no one in particular.

‘Never thought they’d go as far to join. Things will surely be noisier. But as long as they can keep him in check…’ he thought.

Humming the notes from his favorite song, Sigulf continues to work on his paper. And minutes later, Celina and Chelsea returned, informing that the Principal gave her approval.

———

Chapter 1: A Circle of Duelists Gathered Around the Oaken Table, end.

Continued on Chapter 2.

19. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2: Baptized in Sun Ray and Spring Air
    Part 1
    The next morning, Sigulf is on his way to class like usual, while noticing that the air around the students feels a bit lighter.

‘Now come to think of it. Tomorrow’s going to be our first weekend here.’ He thought.

As he approached the front gate, Sigulf caught the sight of a certain group.

‘Huh? Isn’t that Amakawa and his groupies?’

Eurypha, Carmen, Ilma and a seemingly reluctant Minato are standing by at the entrance, greeting the passing students all the while.

“Good morning, everyone! …hey Amakawa! Pull yourself together!”

“…why do I have to do this? I’m still sleepy…”

“Think of it as a community service.”

“What am I, a convict!?”

“Well you did force yourself on me after all… Ufufu~”

“And don’t purposefully say misleading things like that!”

The spectacle earned few chuckles from the other students, while Sigulf was left wondering, ‘…what are they doing there?’

As he approached them, Eurypha noticed Sigulf’s presence and greeted him.

“Oh, it’s you. Good morning.”

“Morning. What are you guys doing?”

“About that…” she replied, and somehow looking proud. “I asked Amakawa about Japanese student councils. So apparently they have something called the Disciplinary Committee, and I want to give them a try here!”

“I… see…? I thought that was pretty much the point of Patrol Division?”

“I heard nothing about standing by from early morning, though, unlike the Japanese model of committee.”

“From early morning, huh? That’s kinda rough.”

“But that’s why! We can’t let our guard down! For this academy’s greater good, or else, we’ll have another pervert like him!”

“I told you many times that wasn’t on purpose!” Minato retorted.

“All three times? No way, I don’t buy it. You must be monitored!”

“Oh, come on!”

The pair continues to bicker, leaving Sigulf to think, ‘I wonder how much the Principal told her. It’s still a bit of surprise that she got accepted. Then again, she’s probably different from the rest…’

Seeing their quarrel won’t end anytime soon, Sigulf decided to head straight to the class.

———

Upon arriving there, Yuu noticed Sigulf and greets him from his own seat.

“Sig-kun, good morning!”

“Morning.”

“Hee, I see you’re a council member now.”

“Huh? Ah, yeah…”

“At first I thought it was unexpected of you, but considering the President…”

Sigulf got a bit red at the allusion of Celina, earning a grin from Yuu.

“Hmm, maybe I should apply too.” Yuu continued. “What do you think?”

“I wouldn’t know. I’m not the one to decide.” Sigulf shrugged.

“Yeah, I thought so. So Alba didn’t join? I mean she wasn’t with your group yesterday.”

“She declined. Saying she’d rather practice in her free time.”

“Hmm… Well that definitely sounds like her.”

The sound of a girl sneezing surprised the boys and made them turn their heads.

“Huh…? Strange. Did I catch a cold?” Alba mumbled.

“Speak of the devil.” Yuu said.

“Oh, it’s you guys. You were talking about me?”

“Sort of. We were talking about how prettier you got every passing day.” Sigulf answered.

“…that was ridiculously unbelievable, it just piss me off even more.”

“Please spare me from your wrath. I’m a pacifist.”

———

At lunch break, Sigulf heads to the rooftops on his own like usual.

“Oh? There he is. Hey, Sigulf!”

A recognizable voice pulled his attention towards the speaker, which is none other than Chelsea herself.

“Good afternoon.” Celina added.

“Ah… Good afternoon.” Sigulf responded.

“Where were you yesterday? Did something happen?” Chelsea asked.

“I got dragged by Alba to the café. That, and well… Yuu wanted to know more about tag duels.”

“Ah, I see.” Celina replied. “Tag duels, huh… It hasn’t been popular from what I read, but this could be… What do you think, Chelsea?”

“Hmm, so she usually eats at the café…”

“Umm, Chelsea?”

“Ah, yes!? What is it?”

“…you weren’t listening at all.” Celina sighed.

“Sorry, sorry. So, shall we grab a seat then?”

“Wait, we’re not going to eat at the usual place?”

“She just wanted to harass Alba…” Sigulf pointed out.

“Ruuude. What do you mean by harass?” Chelsea pouted at his words.

“That aside, must we really have lunch there?”

“Now, now, Cel. You can’t keep yourself out of the student’s eye forever. And what about winter?”

“…I guess you have a point there.”

“Riiight? So come on, before break ends.”

“Even though you brought that blanket?” Sigulf retorted.

“This is light enough, though. I can put it anywhere, no big deal. Any questions?”

“…no, Ma’am.”

Chelsea giggled. “Well, let’s go, then.”

Just as Chelsea made her way towards the café, Sigulf whispered to Celina, “…she can be quite forceful, huh?”

“Like you wouldn’t believe.” Celina sighed. “Especially when it comes to things like this.”

———

At the café, Alba is happily eating her lunch when someone asked her “Is this seat taken?”

“Hrm? No, go a—“

“Hi!”

“…”

Alba swallowed her food first before finally hissed, “…what are you doing here?”

“Why, having lunch, of course.” Chelsea answered.

“…just that? Really?”

“Mm-hm. I promise won’t lecture you or anything. Pinky swear?”

“No no no, no need for that.” Alba quickly dismissed, earning a laughter from Yuu, who is actually sitting across her the whole time.

“Oh, good afternoon, Yuu.”

“Good afternoon, Chelsea-senpai. …you didn’t even notice I was here, huh.”

“Yo.” Sigulf greeted the rest as he and Celina joined.

“Good afternoon.” Celina added.

“Oh, hey. You’re not eating on the roof like usual?” Alba responded.

“She kinda dragged us here…”

“Well, that. Actually there’s something I wanted to ask, but…” Celina trailed off.

The presence of the student council duo caused quite a stir in the café.

“Hey, isn’t that…? To think they would actually eat here…!”

“Aah, those two are lovely as usual… My lunch suddenly tastes better.”

“…what is that white-hair doing with them?”

“Isn’t he a new council member or something? But yeah…”

Most of the cafegoers are focusing their attention at them now.

“…I can feel their stare.” Sigulf lamented.

“This needs getting used to.” Celina sighed, agreeing with his sentiments.

“You have to!” Chelsea whispered. “I mean, you have no problem making a speech in front of everyone.”

“This is different from that…”

“Anyways, let’s sit down first.” Sigulf took the initiative to speak up. “We can listen while we eat.”

———

“Hm? What do we think about tag duels?” Chelsea reiterates while eating her lunch.

“Yes. It’s nothing complicated; I just want to hear your opinions.”

“Hmm… Tag duels, huh…” Yuu said while thinking. “It’s certainly unusual…”

“True. When people say duel, they would think a 1-on-1 fight.” Alba added.

“I see. Then, say something happened and you have the chance to join a tag duel. Would you try it?”

“Ah, of course. If I have the chance, then why not?” Yuu answered, mildly surprising everyone.

“Oh?”

“It looks interesting, judging from Gallowglass’ duel. I couldn’t explain it well, but there are more duelists on the field, you have to be more aware of your surrounding, you have to sync well with your partner, and I’m sure there are more strategy involved. It’s more exciting for me.” Yuu finished, with a bit of uncharacteristic enthusiasm.

‘He can be like that too, huh?’ Sigulf mentally mused.

“I see. Thank you for your opinion. Then…” Celina continues, glancing towards Sigulf and then Alba.

“I never thought much about it, honestly.” Sigulf responded first. “I mean, it happened due to circumstances. And well, I’ve never heard of… ritualistic tag duels before.”

“Hmm…”

“But thinking back, it wasn’t bad. Quite thrilling, maybe. So if it’s possible, then yeah. A Norseman wouldn’t miss a good fight, like they say.”

“I suppose so.” Celina chuckled at his answer. “Alright, thank you for your opinion. And you?”

“Eh,” Alba responded while scratching her own cheek. “Same answer as Siggy, I guess. As long I got to fight. Hell, if I can take down two on my own, bonus point for me.”

“Well, that was fast.” Chelsea laughed.

“…Siggy?” the Icelander questioned his new nickname.

“I thought we are tag partners? No need to be so formal.”

“So you want Gallowglass to keep going?”

“Actually not. But Sigulf is quite mouthful, so…”

“…it’s not. Just try to say Sig-Ulf slowly.”

“Don’t wanna. Plus Siggy sounds like a pet’s name. Hahahah!”

“Why you…”

“Are you two always like this?” Celina asked them while slightly smiling.

“Ah… Crap, sorry, forgot you were talking!” Alba apologized.

“Oh, no, it’s alright.”

‘Ah, she’s really pretty when smiling…’ Sigulf thought, not even paying attention to Alba’s reaction.

“So you are close after all.” Yuu pointed. “And after just one tag match? That’s amazing.”

“Noooooo, not that. He’s just so bullyable.”

“Excuse me, what? I’m not bullyable.”

While the first-years are busy bickering with themselves, Chelsea whispered, “Cel, don’t tell me…”

“It’s nothing big yet.” Celina chuckled. “I’m just thinking, if it’s possible, why don’t we spice things up for this year’s school festival?”

20. Hokuou Tenrou

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2
    After lunch break, it’s time for the practice session, and Yuu was the lucky one to participate in the mock duel.

“One, two… One, two…” Yuu counts as he lightly stretches.

“So it’s finally your turn.” Sigulf mentioned.

“Yep! I’m already itching for a fight! Well, that, and I need to make a show too.”

“A show?” Alba asked, sounding confused.

“Fufu… Well, off I go.”

“Good luck.”

“Go get em!”

Leaving Sigulf and Alba, Yuu heads to the middle of the room to face his opponent.

“You guys know the gist already, right?” Eliot asked both combatants. “Your oaths!”

“We, the Duelists from Atlantic swore to abide by the rules, respect the judge’s decision, and fight with all of our might, in honor of our opponent, and for the glory of one own self!”

“Very good. Now, summon your True Arms!”

Taking a deep breath, Yuu then extended one of his arms forward and began chanting, causing what appears to be sparks of electricity to form around him.

‘I see. So that’s his element.’ Sigulf mentally noted.

“As swift as the lightning… As impetuous as the rough sea… Show your majesty and raise a storm, Susanowo!”

The sparks disappeared, and in his hand, an uchigatana with black sheath has materialized. Smiling, Yuu shifted his body and gets into the iai stance, just as his opponent has done summoning his weapon.

“En garde!”

Yuu kept his focus on the opponent while slightly adjusting his stance.

“Begin!”

At Eliot’s cue, the opponent charged with weapon raised high… While Yuu stood perfectly still.

“What is he doing!?” one of the spectators pointed out in surprise.

“The first strike is mine!”

With full force, the opponent brought his weapon down. However…

“…!”

SHING!

Faster than the eye can follow, Yuu quickly drew his blade and reflected his opponent’s weapon.

“Wha—!?”

“There!”

Not willing to give any chance, Yuu quickly reacted and swung his sword diagonally to the left, landing a clean strike.

“Gwah…!”

“Battle points, down by 10%.”

The blow sent the opponent reeling for a short while before regaining his foothold. Yuu simply sheathed his Susanowo, keeping his confident smile.

“Tch…!”

Enraged, the opponent rushed furiously at Yuu. However, with a strong kick, Yuu suddenly accelerated and caught the opponent off-guard.

“!?”

Barely braking, Yuu performed a shoulder tackle. In itself, it did no damage, but more than enough to knock his opponent off balance.

“Shi—“

Seeing an opening, Yuu drew his blade horizontally, and this time, sending his opponent flying.

“Argh…!”

“Battle points, down by 15%.”

The opponent only managed to do a rolling recovery at the last moment, while Yuu already sheathed his sword again and slowly approached him.

‘He… He’s good…!’

“Well, I suppose this is my turn to be aggressive now.” Yuu said. “Here I go!”

———

“That’s enough! Winner, Yuu Kanzaki!”

Without much surprises, Yuu managed to secure an overwhelming victory.

‘A focused counter type.’ Sigulf thought. ‘If I can’t either break through with brute force or bait his movements, it will be hard facing him later.’

Having received a warm reaction, with the girls being enthusiastic somehow, Yuu returns to the rest of the group.

“So… What do you think?” Yuu said upon approaching Sigulf.

“Nice fight.” Sigulf answered.

“Eeh? Just that? Nothing more specific?”

“Err… What else am I supposed to say? I don’t see any glaring weak points so far.”

“Well, if you say so. Alba-san?”

“Eh, me? Hmm… Well that was cool, actually. Reminds me of those samurai you see in films.”

“Cool huh… Fufufu, I think I’m getting closer to the right track.”

“Huh? What?”

———

Back at the class, Eliot gave the students a short speech before the bell rings.

“Well, ladies and gentlemen. Congratulations on your first week here.” Eliot said to the whole room, slightly smiling. “So how was it? I believe you had a good time so far.”

The students seem to be agreeing with what Eliot said.

‘Well, this academy is pretty comfy after all.’ Sigulf mused.

“Well then,” Eliot continued. “I know you all can’t wait to enjoy the first weekend on this academy, so take care and have fun. Oh, but don’t overdo it and forget your practice. Understood?”

“Yes, Sir!”

“Good. See you next week!”

When Eliot finally left, the class regained its relaxed atmosphere.

“Aaalright!” Walter suddenly shouts from his seat. “Who wanna tag along with me?”

Some of the boys answered his invitation, Yuu included. Meanwhile, Sigulf packs up and getting ready to leave the room.

“Ah, council duty?” Yuu asked Sigulf.

“Mm.”

“Have to finish them to enjoy weekend, huh. Any plans after that?”

“Haven’t thought of one.”

“Hmm… Well, good luck with your duties then. See you later!”

“Later.”

Parting with Yuu, Sigulf passed by Alba’s seat and say, “Yo, good luck with your training.”

“Huh? Ah, thanks. You too.”

“Drop by at the council’s room as well. Chelsea would be happy to see you.”

“…like hell I will.”

———

Just as Sigulf left the room, someone called him.

“Hrimgard.”

Turning around, he realized that it was Eliot.

‘Huh? I thought he left already?’

“…what is it, Sir?”

“No need to be so tense. I just wanted to ask, how was your week? Is there any problems, noble duel aside?”

It only took Sigulf a moment to realize what he meant.

“Oh. Not at all, Sir.” He answered. “Did Master…?”

“Hm? Well, something like that. I think you can handle yourself just fine, but you know…”

“I see…”

Sigulf knows his Master is probably worried, and nothing’s wrong with that. Still, he thinks it’s a bit too soon.

“I guess that’s all from me. Sorry for stopping you.” Eliot said. “Good luck with council duties.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

Excusing himself, Sigulf returns to his way to the council.

‘Now that I think about it, he looked a bit nostalgic when I mentioned Master, didn’t he?’ Sigulf thought.

———

When Sigulf entered the council room, he noticed that everyone is working enthusiastically.

”Ah, Sigulf!” Chelsea said upon noticing the boy.

“Good afternoon.”

“Good afternoon.” She returned his greeting while approaching him. “Here’s today’s part. Think you could do it?”

Quickly scanning the papers, Sigulf noted that there’s more than the usual. But still nothing he couldn’t handle.

“Of course. It’s a part of my job, after all.”

“Alright, we’re counting on you!”

Making his way, he took a look around.

‘Well, of course Minato’s team is already on patrol.’

His sight then fell upon Celina, seemingly busy with her own papers.

‘It’s better if I don’t disturb her now.’

Celina, however, noticed his presence and gave a smile upon seeing him. Sigulf gave a slight nod in return before quickly turns away, trying to hide his slightly red cheeks.

‘…tension, up.’

———

Thankfully, the afternoon went by without a hitch. Before long, the council members excused themselves. Sigulf was about to leave as well when…

“Ah, Sigulf! Please wait a minute!”

“Eh?”

The boy turns around to face Chelsea, who is lifting an empty cup.

“How about we have some tea first?”

Sigulf pondered for a moment before accepting.

“Sure. It’s not like I have anything else to do.”

———

The pleasant scent of tea filled the room, accompanied with the sound of water boiling. Waiting for them to be done, Sigulf decides to grab some snack in the mean time.

“So how’s it been so far?” Celina suddenly asked. “Your first week here, I mean.”

‘Eliot asked the same question before. Well, I guess it’s normal…’

“Umm… So far so good.” Sigulf answered. “At least nothing to complain about.”

“I see… And how about your training?”

“…not much, admittedly. Just the ones from class, plus light exercise before breakfast and before I sleep.”

“Hmm… You might have to increase your training menu.”

“…will do.”

“Ah, please don’t get me wrong. I understand why everyone’s training schedule won’t be the same as before, especially for council members.”

“Eh? Haa…”

Silence then fell among the two, with Sigulf trying to shake the awkwardness by focusing on the macaron in front of him.

“Ah-hem!” Chelsea cleared her throat, getting Sigulf and Celina’s attention. “Sorry to keep you waiting, here’s your milk tea!”

“Oh, thank you.”

Sipping the warm milk tea helped Sigulf calm himself down.

“So,” Chelsea continued. “Do you have any plans tomorrow?”

“Eh? Well, I’m planning to train until midday. Then I’ll probably take it easy after there.”

“Aah, I see…” Chelsea responded before looking at Celina. “What do you think? Should we have him train with us?”

“Hm? I don’t mind…”

“Is it really okay with you two?” Sigulf asked.

“It’s alright!” Chelsea reassured. “Your schedule is similar with ours, anyway. Plus, you don’t want Alba to left you in the dust when you weren’t looking, right?”

“Yeah, that wouldn’t be good…”

“So, it’s decided then.”

“We’ll train at… the usual spot.” Celina added. “Sleep early, don’t be late… Oh, and we’ll not hold anything back.”

Sigulf paused for a moment before finally responded, “…I’ll be in your care, then.”

———

Not long after the three finished their tea, the Patrol Squad finally returned with nothing significant to report, barring the usual squabble between Minato’s girls.

When Sigulf finally parted with the rest of the secret council members, he’s alone at the school gate, wondering.

‘I guess I got carried away…’ he mentally lamented. ‘Damn, pull yourself together, Sigulf.’

Sigulf then looks around, switching his attention between the dorm and the training ground.

“Alright…” Sigulf said, adjusting his backpack. “I guess I’ll have a jog first.”