Blank Cheques

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ai chan, May 10, 2016.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently during a brunch, one of my friends told me how he found a cheque with no amount specified, but already signed. He returned it to the officer at the closest branch of the bank without using it. Only after he gave it, the officer said he could've just put in his name and any amount to claim it for himself. Of course, my friend, not knowing such a thing was legal didn't even think he could do that. He claimed he wouldn't have done it even if he knew he could, but I doubt it.

Anyway, if you're in a similar situation, what would you do? Will you take the cheque for yourself? If you do, how much will you put in? Please take into account that you do not know who the owner of the account is and therefore, you do not know how big his money pile is and how dangerous it would be if you pissed him off.

BTW, this is a what if scenario. Please don't be abusive of others who don't share your point of view.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    CDLevit likes this.
  2. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thinking that doing so would've harmed another person's entire life, I wouldn't.

Now Don't go saying that I would, but really I wouldn't.

Think about it, would you ruin an entire man's life all because you f*cked around with some piece of cheque. Now I'm no religious man, heck I could downright claim that I'm an atheist, but doing something like that? I find it f*cked up.

Rreelentless, Ai chan and Yunchii like this.
  3. pocketbear

pocketbear !!!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm very prone to a guilty conscience just eating a frozen pizza when I said I'd make something healthy and vegetabley. So I like to think I would rip it in half and throw it away...

Ai chan and Casul Reader like this.
  4. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on which country and it's rules, but instead of putting your name on it you can write it "to the bearer", and cash it out. Only if the owner didn't cancel that cheque number.

ln_ and Ai chan like this.
  5. Lunettes

Lunettes 『Blood_karma's spouse』

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe yes, maybe not...

6. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    I would write a reasonable amount due to the fact that i'm broke most of the time ....
    maybe enough for a snack or something..

7. heishiken

heishiken yarvic001 Hell Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realise that they can track that right? So even if you a random number in, they can and will track you down as soon as the owner calls it in.

So no I would not

8. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude. That would have been awesome but that depends on the bank laws of your country. In our country, if the amount is just a few thousand, then it wouldn't be a problem. But if you write a huge amount, then the bank would try to confirm the cheque, especially if account doesn't have enough money. In that case, then you are screwed!

CDLevit likes this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I will tear it cuz I'm an idealistic person:coffee:

pocketbear likes this.
  10. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    is that really easy to use blank cheques?
    let assume you draw some money from that account for yourself ... wouldnt bank will record the transaction and show that you take his/her money without permission!!

CDLevit likes this.
  11. Fragments of Shadows

Fragments of Shadows [The Broken One] [Chaser of Tales] [Hungry Ghost]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not very familiar with how checks are recorded on banking statements (pretty much everything I do is in cash or electronic) but if its possible for them to follow the transfer and see who their money went to doesn't that open you up to some revenge? I'd feel a sense of guilt if I took out a lot of money but if its under twenty bucks then I might consider taking that much... enough to get myself a nice meal and let whoever dropped it realize they messed up leaving a blank check lying around.

Edit: I think (definitely not certain) that most banks just put the account and routing number of the account the money was transferred to and they are unlikely to tell you who that account belongs to unless you can prove fraud which would be difficult to do with a signed check.

12. Occulus

Occulus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost 100 percent certain they can actually track and check that type of thing.

13. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha i'm an honorless bastard xD
    At least that's what i'd like to say ,but i'm too proud to steal maney .

14. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    If the owner turns out to be someone from the dark syndicate and track down the money stealing vermin that put a dent in his bank account.. you'll be dead before you can say nincampoop!! .....
    ... yeah.. I watch too many animes. =/

Casul Reader likes this.
  15. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Instinctively I'm saying no because I feel it would be wrong. I wouldn't like it if it happened to me so I wouldn't do it to another.
    Realistically if I was actually in that situation I couldn't say what I'd do. Leaning more towards doing nothing though

CDLevit and Casul Reader like this.
  16. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of,

If u report this, the bank employee could get fired or worst he could be thrown in jail... For giving u this advice, im not even sure if he did the proper thing to the cheque afterwards.... Coz some cheques can be withdrawn without the need for any name.

Second, karma is a bitch..
    These things happen to me all the time, not to mention in drive throughs where people just calculated the wrong ammount, and i always get more than i deserve, but i always hand it back. My friend was pretty surprised, coz hes been hangin around with me for a month, and it happens 2-3 times while im driving. He said why did it never happened to him, if it was him, he would never give it back...

The universe has a funny way of testing you.... And im not sure what the test is for anyway.. But i would rather be on the right side rather than having everything else blows up on me in the end.

Ps: oh, i remembered something about a scam, there are people who are scamming left and right with blank cheques. Some sue you for cashing their cheques, some coerce you to give them some money for a business proposition since you are a nice guy for returning the cheque...

CDLevit and Ai chan like this.
  17. Llamia

Llamia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not gonna lie. The thought will cross my mind multiple times to cash it for $1-10 for some lunch, but in the end I wouldn't do it.
    All that matters is what you do in the end. All the contemplating in my head is probably done by most people as well, so I don't feel too bad about contemplating it.

Answer: Wouldn't do it. I have too much of a guilty conscience and I like to think I'm a good person.

CDLevit and Westeller like this.
  18. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I think there are some stores that accepts cheques, so, you could technically use it w/o any repercussions, since it'll be billed to the store, rather then you're account. -- Meaning, you could buy some expensive jewelry or something, then sell it at another store for a bit of money; it'll make it harder to track you like that if you're really concerned.

Also, if the sum is small, I think the bank might refund the money if the person finds out and can prove it wasn't him/her, so I would probably use it, just to teach the person a lesson.

19. Detective

Detective [[The one who love Bengal Tigers]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, no.
    But if it was from an enemy, i would be swimming in a pool with his money and buying the four houses closest the pool with it.

20. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    ill burn it