blocking content by country and not by ...

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by bigstew, Apr 12, 2019.

?

would blocking chinese runoff improve this site

1. yes

2. slightly

3. why ask the obvoius

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bigstew

bigstew Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can u not add a feature to block by country for a filter,, it would clean up alot of the releases page and allow people easier access and searching and not have to have 40-50 groups blocked just to clean up and view the releases page, i understand knockoffs are ur blood but user friendly access should be more important that bombing pages with crap and users not being to simply block content of origin

2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    This has been asked for countless times, but afaik @Tony has decided he doesn't like the idea so he won't implement that kind of feature.

Some people want to block CN, others want to block JP, some want to block both, and I'm sure there's people who want to block KR novels as well, either way. Plenty of people have asked for this for one reason or another, but it won't happen.

kenar, Nom de Plume and Westeller like this.
  3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right. As @Astaroth says, Novel Update's current stance on broad filtering is that it's extremely unlikely to happen. @Tony wants people to remain open to new things. -- Personally, I don't see why it matters. I never use the front page for anything anyway. I'd replace the thing with my reading list, if I could. But I guess there are many people who use it and even frequently find new things to read because of it, so... maybe that's just me.

For previous discussions on this topic, please see:
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/release-filter.5326/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...d-series-title-choice-on-release-filter.9622/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...ustment-to-filter-out-entire-languages.24298/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/release-filter-can-filter-by-language.24988/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/additional-options-on-release-filtering-nu-main-page.28489/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/release-filter-language-include-exclude.30462/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/filter-releases-by-origin-language.36689/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/release-filtering-add-exclude-by-language.45823/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/series-filtering-add-by-language-option.51337/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/ability-to-filter-releases-based-on-language.55666/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/series-filter-language.60446/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/region-release-filtering.62821/
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/release-filtering-language.70536/

4. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    A large part of this stance is that the site provides other means to search for novels or only one origin through the series finder. Another is that although you cannot filter out novels from an entire country of origin, you can make their countries of origin visible at a glance through a setting on the user profile.

6C3A2F25-1DE7-430D-810D-2FD3DF4CD405.png
    (See the CoO tags?)

if it bothers you to see them that badly, make a reading list called CN and add Chinese novels to it. It’s easier than filtering translating groups imho. Just check “Hide from main release page” in the settings.
    B6F9851C-1812-40DC-9B3C-2F5CCAFB3B0B.jpeg

This is easier especially if you have quick add enabled. It lets you choose a list right quickly right at the top of a release page as seen below. (Images are from iPhone)

F1107051-468A-4987-8E9A-2A4EE1728CE6.png
    4374546F-16AE-4D61-9F71-987CD5156327.png

AliceShiki and Astaroth like this.
  5. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I prefer just to use release filtering alone like this
    IMG_20190412_152544.jpg IMG_20190412_152524.jpg
    Just cleans up the main page while not even counting as a reader in nu stats for those novels.

Alternatively you can use series filtering (i find it clunky tbh, for some reason favourites on sh, while being the same damn thing, feels amazing)

Alternatively dos you can use release filtering with include genre option and setting the genre to a basically unused one like smut, yuri, sports, horror etc (or excluding all genres) and getting a blank main page. Now use reading list favourites on main page for essentially a custom main page. (Also note : the include genre option uses OR logic not AND for genres)

Fringe cases can be handled in reading lists.

Personally I want tony to make "special" default reading lists called exclude, completed, dropped(especially this one) that contribute to nu stats differently.

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    But um, you can’t block language this way and that’s their goal?

7. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    It is the closest approximation that takes least amount of time though. Essentially all the big cn translator groups are excluded which makes the page go from like no jp novel in site (pun points yay) to like majority jp. I am comfortable with this much, op can exclude more groups (which again need not done in a single go) to get it closer and closer to what he is comfortable with. A good method to decide groups to exclude is if the group spams releases, filter them.

8. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    I see :aww:

I do my best to not block novels from view so I have as an unadultered view of the main release page as possible. For modding...
    It’s like how I didn’t block anyone as a NUF mod in the past. Now I don’t feel like I need to browse the forums multiple times a day and can block people, #noregrets #lurkerpro

9. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait a second. Fujoshi is a tag??

10. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    kenar likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Some genres/tags should be Chinese specific eg xanxia or cultivation.
    So blocking via release filtering is easy

Westeller and Nom de Plume like this.
  12. bigstew

bigstew Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well its not about caring if this site hosts releases, its about making it easier and less loading of releases as some site decide to stop releases and take money to host less wanted sites/novels on their own for money but also translate good stories that r popular enough to maybe send someone to another site as that hasnt worked and more malware.adware sites pop up for cn knockoffs and pollute the release front page its still about cleaning up the release/search page and not about restricting searches as users want to refine the release pages for what they read and not shovelware thats force on to them because of admin...ease of use not forced cn shovel/knockoff crap filling the release page where users can see what whats and see new releases or search for novels....the @Tony crap isnt a reasonable defense but this encouragement for ripoff/feeder sites is thanks to ur encouragement of not allowing ....

13. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m confused about what you are identifying as the problem and why this is the solution you think would fix it.

What I can tell is that you believe us not hiding Chinese releases is us shoving it down the reader’s throat. The Chinese novels have more releases at a glance due to having more novels and translators than Japanese or others. This is more because there are a lot more Chinese speakers than Japanese, as well as overall more bilingual (English/Chinese) speakers. It’s not something we are personally trying to promote and the boom is only within the last two years or so. Japanese and Korean novels used to be much more prevalent.

Part of it is also that many of the JP / KR translations are completed and the ones that aren’t are shorter in length.

Blitz, AliceShiki, Ddraig and 2 others like this.
  14. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    What does knockoff mean in this context?

runsing and Nom de Plume like this.
  15. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess he probably means copycat novels, but that exists in all countries and genres

kenar likes this.
  16. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Or copycat websites...?

kenar and OnceandFutureLurker like this.
  17. OnceandFutureLurker

OnceandFutureLurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps :)

18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What knock offs? Actually, what's your native language? You have a great lack of punctuation and emphasize on your post, it's practically a wall of text that I can't identify the points you're trying to make aside from you want to block Chinese novel translations. Which has already been answered multiple times in other threads that has been kindly linked by a not so kind panda above.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  19. LIGHTDX

LIGHTDX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dislike this pool not having a "no" option actually and there is no point of having a pool of the same answer.
    I totally agree with Tony. Country blocking is too much and it isn't like bad novels comes from a country in particular. Even if mostly of chinese novels are about some warrior cultivation is not like all of them are about that so you might find jewels of what you want in some chinese novels. Personaly there are vert few chinese cultivation novel i have liked but Warlock of the magus world is one of my favorites in all times and it's chinese, I also have a few of favorites in Japanese, korean and in western novels.

20. bigstew

bigstew Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well its not like their may be some interest, its mostly to unclog the uploads to filter out crap, so blocking country of origin even though this site doesnt have cred it would help for users to view more detailed legit novels then clog with span Chinese ad grab crap some groups are taking in for money as apposed to their own regular/first party trans work since Chinese shovelware that gets rejected/blocked everywhere else for good reason is and easy money grab once its gets blocked or loses views on said malware/spam site is enticing and losing ur original....bottom line their should be a country filter for users to clean up releases and load times and filler clogging this site