Discussion Luo's Book Club (C-novels)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by luoxinle, Feb 2, 2022.

?

What novel should we read in September?

1. Cannon Fodder Fake Master Was Stunned After Being Reborn

2. Source Of Calamity

3. Outrageous

4. The Legend of Sun Knight

5. No vote

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. asampe_tae

asampe_tae Los Blancos

Reading List:
    Link
    Wei Wuxian! I watched the drama on YouTube, fell in love and checked the comment sections. They kept talking about the webnovel. I had no idea such a thing existed and I had never watched Chinese dramas prior to that. I knew about kdramas but didn't really watch them either. I then watched Guardian, hated the ending and needed something to make me happy. Again, comment section! So I checked out both novels and enjoyed them.

My next book was Love 020 and The King's Avatar because I'd watched the dramas and liked the relationship between Wei Wei and Da Shen. King's Avatar was because of Yang Yang. It was also what made me notice e-sports. I've never watched a rl one and I am obsessed with too many things to add one more to that list but I adore the genre? trope? that is e-sports.

Waiting for translations (I have a list just for books that haven't completed translations) has made me entertain the idea of learning the language but one, I'm lazy and two, Mandarin is apparently hard.

The Untamed brought soo many people to the webnovels world, me included

luoxinle and elideli like this.
  2. Mieru mieru

Mieru mieru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello there...I'm interested in joining this book club

3. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome! Please introduce yourself. What kind of novels do you like? Do you have any favorite novels, authors, tropes, etc.? Is there anything you're hoping to read with us, or hoping to get out of the book group?

Mieru mieru likes this.
  4. Mieru mieru

Mieru mieru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I
    I mainly read C-novels. My genres are mainly drama, historical, romance and yaoi. I read various kinds of tropes from political struggles and a boudoir girl's schemes to face-slapping and revenge...In this club, I hope I can get good recommendations, discuss novels as I don't know many others who read such novels

luoxinle and hypersniper159 like this.
  5. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I really love hearing about how everyone got into c-novels!

Discussion Topic:
    Share a funny mis-translation you've seen, particularly from MTL.

6. Lovelybutter

Lovelybutter The loveliest butter

Reading List:
    Link
    You share yours too.. but for me..it’s not really funny but.. when the pronounced get changed…or switch..and when the names get altered..

luoxinle likes this.
  7. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I often see business translated as "shopping mall", which always makes me laugh. There will be a sentence that is supposed to say, "He was an old fox who'd been thriving in the business field for many years." and instead says he's been in the shopping mall for many years.

I'm currently reading a novel with a character called Lu Man Man, and I keep seeing "long long road," "long man," etc.

8. elideli

elideli keepin' an eye out

Reading List:
    Link
    When people in showbiz novels translate "fans" as "powder" and you end up with celebs that have a lot of "face powder" and "black powder" and powders of all kind, and then combine it with how they sometimes refer to trying to promote a celebrity to someone as "Amway"... it ends up sounding like these authors are really into celeb makeup MLMs lmaooo

I'm sorry but all I could thing about was

luoxinle and hypersniper159 like this.
  9. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    “Flashing Magician” is about a magician who can only use teleport. It wasn’t an mtl mistake either

luoxinle likes this.
  10. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes!!! That's exactly what I was thinking - thank you for looking up the video.

I think MLMs must be really big in China, since there are references to them everywhere. In the last novel I read, one character suspects another of being inducted by an MLM group.

elideli likes this.
  11. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Discussion Topic:

Did you know that the first post in this thread is regularly updated? Did you know that you can find links to every single poll announcement and check out the novels we almost read? Go take a look!

12. saanvisingh25

saanvisingh25 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi
    I am right now into Quick transmigration (BG) with a HE and cute family fluff (with FL as the MC)
    Also it is my first book club so yeahh;)

luoxinle likes this.
  13. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome! If you haven't already, take a look at the first post in the thread to get a sense for how things work around here. The first post also has links to all of the announcement posts, which are also useful.

DojaDoge likes this.
  14. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Zoom Meeting will now be a live chat room (no audio/video)

Hi folks. I've done some last minute research, and it looks like it's not possible to do a zoom meeting without sharing some contact info with the host. I know some of our members are minors, and I just don't feel comfortable encouraging minors to share contact info with strangers on the internet, or to feel left out by not coming. I also hear a lot of folks feeling nervous about video chatting. I'm nervous too! So we will not be having a zoom.

Instead, we will be having a live chat on the chat room website Chatzy.

I hope this will be more comfortable for everyone. Hope to see you there!

As a reminder, the meeting time is: Meeting Time

The link to the chat room is: https://www.chatzy.com/51904959481558

And the password to get into the chat room is: novelupdates

@amilhs @asriu @AsteriaHenituse @Avgust @ChocolatChan @Eccentricstate @elideli @ExiledMage @Glass Shard @Issis @Kaylee @LazyWalnut @MacDanMc @Mental waifu @hypersniper159 @MsEliteNEET @mYboiS @Nana24 @Neverthelessilu @ReaderReader @rialm @Szara @ToastedRossi @writtenforcup @GodkiL1ler @Dark_phoenix_2609 @mir @Lovelybutter @asampe_tae @HuangDoudou @spicyramen32 @Mieru mieru @saanvisingh25

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    hypersniper159 and elideli like this.
  15. elideli

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice, good call on the zoom thing haha. I don't know if I'll be able to make it but I'll try!

On a similar note, how would we feel about having a discord server for the book club? I think it'd be a nice way to chat without the time restriction and it would be a fun way to interact with other book club members!

Lovelybutter likes this.
  16. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    The chat is live! Come join us!

Comment here if you have technical difficulties.

17. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    April Novel Poll
    It's time to choose our next novel!

Our options are:
    First Love Choose Me, I’m Super Sweet - a BL high school romance
    Lemon Lightning - a funny BL college romance
    Spoil Your Wife Like Your Life Depends On It - a GL entertainment circle romance with a system
    Her Mountain, Her Sea - a sweet GL romance about healing from a bad childhood

Very gay this month for no particular reason. They are all in the 60-90 chapter range.

Remember, our rule is to try to vote in every poll, but you can always vote for "no vote". That totally counts as voting!

@amilhs @asriu @AsteriaHenituse @Avgust @ChocolatChan @Eccentricstate @elideli @ExiledMage @Glass Shard @Issis @Kaylee @LazyWalnut @MacDanMc @Mental waifu @hypersniper159 @MsEliteNEET @mYboiS @Nana24 @Neverthelessilu @ReaderReader @rialm @Szara @ToastedRossi @writtenforcup @GodkiL1ler @Dark_phoenix_2609 @mir @Lovelybutter @asampe_tae @HuangDoudou @spicyramen32 @Mieru mieru @saanvisingh25

18. DojaDoge

DojaDoge Formerly known as Ms.EliteNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    Very gay is very good!

luoxinle likes this.
  19. elideli

Reading List:
    Link
    Lovely selection this month, looking forward to reading the winner (and also maybe the rest as well :shiblobwink:)

luoxinle likes this.
  20. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    So far we have a tie for the two winners. Go vote and break that tie!

In other news, I'm making some changes to the novel guidelines. M-preg and omegaverse are now allowed, though you should not expect to see very many of them due to my bias when looking for novels.

I am also adding a chapter limit. We've had a couple of excellent novels that were really difficult to finish within the month, so while I love some long novels, I think shorter novels are a better fit for our book group.

What length should we cap our novels at? 200 chapters? 150? 100?

Let me know what you think!

elideli likes this.