Discussion Bringing yourself in line

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Eat_Angst, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Eat_Angst

Eat_Angst |System T219| [The Bear Monarch]

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you motivate yourself or bring yourself in line?

I struggle with completing tasks, reading and memorizing , getting things done and staying healthy and hygienic.

These days I've figured out a way to give myself a push through a points system.
    2 points for completing a chore
    5 points for completing two difficult chores together
    5 points for bathing, brushing my teeth, waking up in time..
    5 points for making and having lunch
    So on and so forth. The more difficult I deem a task to be or the less chance of me completing the task, the more the points.

And I also minus more points then the points I receive, so that I will be threatened into completing the task. Like -5 for wasting twenty minutes
    -6 for failing to do the dishes

15 points can be exchanged for 15 minutes of a game .
    5 points can be exchanged for a chapter of a novel or manga.
    And in the shop only these two items are available.

While the idea does seem meaningless and dumb but you underestimate my ability to not do anything and stay depressed.

So I started with -80 points.
    Then I got to 15 points.
    And now I have -38 points

2. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooh I've heard about this, the gameify technique! (I think) I heard it's effective :blobReach:. Good job with your progress! :blobhighfive:

For me I usually do checklists and scheduling? Or something like that. I'm still unable to stick to it so much but I try to not go too hard at it or it'll just backfire and send me into a downward spiral :hmm:.

Also, I'm doing this thing lately where I list tasks (with no hard deadlines) but are generally productive and mentally stimulating/rewarding then I label them with numbers. I let a dice choose what I do for the day and yeah, kinda just gets me moving instead of being stuck in the decision-making stage. Pretty good so far i must say~

3. Deleted member 504622

Deleted member 504622 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you motivate yourself or bring yourself in line?
    - There is no reliance on motivation from my end; motivation comes and goes.
    But discipline was heavy at home while growing up. We were also exposed to mature roles early to understand and acquire a sense of responsibility. Those two things help my brothers and I accomplish/finish/succeed on anything. We were always "in line".

Your style of completing tasks sounds creative though. For someone who reads all sorts of topics, I never knew that before.

Eat_Angst and Giratina like this.
  4. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    I struggle with this as well. Tried game-ifing it. Didn't work too well. I became bored with the game.
    The best way I've found so far is, and I know this is stupid, pretending I'm not a human. I'm a tiger. Tigers like baths and grooming. Tigers get up hunt prey when they're hungry. Tigers are strong and capable. Tigers don't care about the future, just today. It doesn't always work though. You feel pretty stupid pretending to be a tiger when you're a grown ass adult.

I guess I'm also here for tips.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    Bad Storm, Meloman and Eat_Angst like this.
  5. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Very interesting point system… Have you tried checking iron level in your blood? When it’s low for me I get much more seriously depressed and unmotivated. It’s very obvious once I got it checked out. Well it’s not a magic potion (by the way infusion work better for me than iron oral supplements- but check with your doctor there are risks to infusion) but unlike I have to psych myself up every time I need to do a small thing, when my iron level is in normal limits I don’t have to think too much about doing the simple chores. And my sleep is better as well.

Eat_Angst and meliori like this.
  6. Eat_Angst

Reading List:
    Link
    You hit the mark! Haha, my iron in the blood is indeed very low

7. One Perfect Veteran

One Perfect Veteran [ICL] [Bureaucat] [Cereal Killer]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's soooo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heyyyy sayyyy can you exchange points for something like ordering sushi and pizza???? Muhehehehehehe

Eat_Angst likes this.
  8. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I really think than my own “laziness etc” is 1/2 the problem, and the other is low iron, sugary foods (mood swings due to high-low sugar), too much bready foods, too much caffeine and lack of exercise. For me that is. The thing is when iron is really low (under 30 points in my doc’s opinion), it is very very hard for me to even feel like wanting to change something. Or rather I can only get enough energy to accomplish one task a day. My mum says I just lazy for not e.g. vacuuming daily, but for me it’s a REAL task to vacuum when my iron is low. When it’s in normal range- I am no longer feeling like a mountain is pressing on me when I need to vacuum, but only my own laziness. Something like a point system or a reward system could help with laziness- I will try that.

Eat_Angst likes this.
  9. Kelsealoufromkalamazoo

Kelsealoufromkalamazoo [The Luckiest Sunfish]

Reading List:
    Link
    Constantly reminding myself that I don’t want to disappoint my dad or be seen as a failure by my younger siblings

Eat_Angst and Catshead like this.
  10. Catshead

Catshead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to end up using the game system as well. In my head I think of it as quests, extra tasks that aren't quite necessary but still good to have become achievements. Somehow it makes it easier to get through some days. It gives a sense of accomplishment when I can see the number of tasks-to-do in my head slowly decrease.

Eat_Angst likes this.
  11. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My hopes for a better tomorrow

Eat_Angst likes this.
  12. Eat_Angst

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not what I like or something I would want to do daily so it's not available on the shot hehe

But if that's what you like and want to do daily you can stick it in your shop!

One Perfect Veteran likes this.
  13. Pachia320

Pachia320 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't have such point systems. I'd like to keep myself disciplined by organizing and doing planners. They help me get in the mood to doing work.

Sometimes I'd like to ask myself, "Will I do (insert chore)." It usually pushes me to do it.

(There once was a time that for 2 months, I did nothing but sleep, entertain myself and eat. Not even a week goes by and I got tired of it. Makes me realize that I'm not a person who likes to laze around. Gotta get up and do something. The rest of that 2 months was taking notes of dramas so I could exercise my hand.)