Burn-in ie80s how long should I burn or what should I burn with.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by xiazixin, Jan 19, 2020.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My ie80s is going to arrive tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, it's second hand. But the original owner says that it still require burn-in.

As normal I'll just leave the ear phone on my pc for 2 or 3 night to burn the ear buds.
    And I also need a new sets of DAC and Amp. Since this isn't some 100 dollar budget ear buds and I plan to use it on phone.

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Some gasoline and wood

xiazixin and OverlordPotato like this.
  3. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People actually believe that burn-in earphones shit? Everyone's ears are different and it's all in the head I'd say.
    Anyway, it's old but here's something for you.
    The last part of that post summarizes what I'd always thought.

xiazixin likes this.
  4. Passerby

Passerby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Firstly I'd like to point out about asking a specific audio equipment question on a general forum. It should better to ask at audio forums.

From what I know burn in is a very subjective question which differs between equipment and even users. Some mentioning week long burn in.
    I will just recommend you to just stick to your habits and continue from there.

xiazixin likes this.
  5. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh... I felt dizzy after playing pink noise on my speaker for a few minutes and people do it for hours? Never mind, I'm good.

xiazixin likes this.
  6. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I know, the change is pretty much unnoticeable and only the confirmation bias and the like make you think that it's real. Listening to the same earphone will make it sounded better as you got used to the sound yourself, not the burn-in thingy.

xiazixin likes this.
  7. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, just took it as a car engine, which produce movement from the combustion of energy. When you just brought a car, you don't want to instantly step on the paddle and go full speed at max gears. You want to slowly at a lower gears and make sure all parts are working and make sure. This is similar the ear phones are not damage. As suddenly playing lould edm with heavy bass will damage your earphones.

Earphone drivers use electric and magnetic to make the sound, it also heavyly affects transistors. Transistor won't be stable from long durations on the shelf of the stores. Which will improve the quility of music after burn in.

As for duration just 20 hour of songs loop make sure no edm, no sudden burst at lowest volume will do.

After that just use normally for a week or so. And your be at the almost perfect state, but just that look like I have to burn in even its 2nd hand....

edit: forgot to mention burn in is a myths in BA driver head phone. And ie80s is 1 single dynamic driver head phones.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people will tell you that burning in audio equipment is largely useless. That said, there's no real harm in doing it. If you do want to burn them in, find a 10 hour pink noise sweep on YouTube and play it a few times at normal listening volume.

Digital-to-analog conversion is a straightforward process. The job of a DAC is to faithfully convert the digital signal into an analog signal. As far as DACs go, you're wasting money if you spend more than $150 since that's around the price where you get everything you need for a DAC to do its job properly.

Amps are what give color to the audio, and that's entirely a personal preference. I'd recommend taking your IEMs to a high-end audio store and trying the IEMs with different types of amps until you find the sound you like. If you end up going with tubes, be prepared to spend a ludicrous sum of money on tubes. Rare tubes can be more expensive than those IEMs.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020