Misc C.T.E. with Omni #1: Magic Powered by Desire

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Omnifarious, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
?

Should there be a Poll?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Omnifarious

Omnifarious Re: member

Reading List:
    Link
    CREATIVE THINKING EXERCISE WITH OMNI #1: MAGIC POWERED BY DESIRES

Imagine, you got transported to a magical world.

And in this world magic works like this:

Rule one:
    Anyone can use any magic and magic are powered by a fuel. The best fuel is your the strongest desire for something.
    • Bob is good at fire magic. His magic is fuelled by his desire to burn things and watch things burn
    • Susan also uses fire magic, her magic is fuelled by her desire for cleanliness and to cleanse.

Rule Two:
    Magic of a type must adhere to the meaning or interpretation of the fuel / desire
    • Susan's desire for cleansing means she equally adept at water magic as well as fire magic.
    • Where Bob's desire to burn things means he will be very bad at water magic.

Rule Three:
    The more specific the desire the more advanced magic can be, and the stronger the desire the more power.
    • Roger's love and desire to control his neighbour Jeff, this means he is a master at a kind of “Jeffomancy”… and can use very complex enchantment, enhancement and mind control on Jeff and any Jeff-like persons. But very weak on non-jeffs, but still be very complicated magic.
    • Dave's desire to be strong at magic may be potent and he applies it to many types of magic, its vagueness means at best he just can throw simple magic at people but nothing complex.
    Thinking Exercise:
    1. What is your fuel?
    2. What is your magic of choice?
    3. What are the possible drawbacks, or things your magic can't do?
    Simple Example:
    Fuel: The need to know secrets. and desire to have more things (Greed based)
    Magic: Mind Reading and Gravity/telekinetic magic
    Drawbacks: Everyone will always want to keep their privacy, and therefore have some natural defence against mind reading. Have gravity magic powered by a greed means, you can pull, make things heavy or even make black holes but you will not be able to use anti-gravity, flight or repulsion type gravity.

Bonus Question:
    If your magic is time magic, what is the fuel?
    What kind of fuel for what kind of time magic?
    What limits will this specific fuel impose?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    voiceburner likes this.
  2. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fuel-Enjoy Myself

Magic-EVERY MAGIC

drawback-arrogance,unable to find somebody stronger,unable to make friends,

3. twkisanotaku

twkisanotaku Booksloth

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuel- I want what I want whenever I want
    Magic- creation (to create anything I want at a price even emotions , love etc.)
    Drawback- the price can be very heavy but can also be very light so...

Btw the typo for exercise triggered me a little

4. orang

orang Fatewatcher

Reading List:
    Link
    One, this one's desire to not be a part of skirmishes between conflicting ideals, and the desire to know, to learn, of fantastical stories.

Secondly, prophetical magic.

Third, none, this one can see all things past, present, and to come. Yet, this one is unable to interfere with fate's story, no matter what may come.

5. Bloodyuuki

Bloodyuuki 『Pureblood Princess』『Owned Vampire』『Lazy Virus《!》』

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuel - be free
    Magic - everything available
    Drawbacks - too free

6. Bloodyuuki

Bloodyuuki 『Pureblood Princess』『Owned Vampire』『Lazy Virus《!》』

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuel - Should be regret over the past and the wishs to change the present and future
    Magic - the ability to move into any of the time occurences you wish
    Drawbacks - the usual change of history. Life-span based magic?

7. MutsuKata

MutsuKata 『RO2's MG42 Operator』 『RS2's Loach Combat Pilot』

Reading List:
    Link
    FUEL : I want to be free and enjoy everything i do anytime, anywhere. simply carefree
    MAGIC : Space-Time. i can go anywhere i want and control anything i want.
    DRAWBACK :-can't think of one. because my magic can solve any problem-

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  8. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuel: Life,
    Magic: Immortality,
    Drawback: Cannot Sleep,

9. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    This is Susan cleaning her house
    [​IMG]

SilverxCalibur and Omnifarious like this.
  10. Omnifarious

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I see I needed to Clarified the drawback a bit.

so
    Your magic is powered by your need to enjoy yourself, that means you can't use magic when you have to do something you don't want to or don't enjoy.

So if you don't enjoy fighting, or killing things your magic will be weaker.

This is a Logic game

SilverxCalibur likes this.
  11. MeoWoe

MeoWoe [Altair] [Exqúisite]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuel: Desire to Own all lolis
    Magic: BrainWash
    DrawBack: Cannot BrainWash Perverted Old Men

Omnifarious likes this.
  12. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    fuel: the desire to sleep as long as i could.
    magic: time stasis.
    drawback: stop after I woke up and still have to face the reality.

13. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    fuel - eat and/or sleep in peace (emphasis on peace and sleep)
    magic - AOE spells, sloth based
    1. Ice magic:Frozen world = freezes the surroundings by entropy nullification or oscillation restriction(effectively stopping time)
    2. Space magic:World severing barrier = barrier of absolute defense, inside is really peaceful
    3. Darkness magic:Veil of eternal night = another barrier/zone that will absorb all external interference
    4. Time magic:World stop = you have all the time in the world to eat and sleep, no one is gonna disturb you

Disadvantages:
    1. I am in the area of effect, so ......its coooold (food as well)
    2. Cuts of sound as well as supply of oxygen so duration is short
    3. I cant see what I am eating, so only useful when sleeping
    4. even if time is stopped, I will probably keep ageing

Bonus QA:
    Time travel in past => regret, dissatisfaction with present
    future sight/time travel => anxiety due to unknown future, simple desire to know

14. Omnifarious

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes!
    #thatshowyouplay

15. Bacon

Bacon [Moon Dweller][Cosmic Anomaly][Your Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuel: Hunger
    Magic:Kitchen Creation (Able to create and manipulate objects down to the molecular level transforming them into objects and ingredients that can be found in kitchens.)
    Drawbacks: Can not be used on people, Can not create a completed dish, can not create canned food, can not create kitchen items larger than the average kitchen knife, etc. (New drawbacks can be added and others removed depending on level of hunger.)

16. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :/ I enjoy everything except being trolled at :c

17. Sakuratea

Sakuratea A Cup ot Tea

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuel : Desire to be freed from responsibilities.
    Magic : Messing with space time causality to transfer my responsibilities to other person.
    Drawback : Prone to fail if I can't think of scenario believable enough to transfer my responsibilities

18. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    fuel: the curiosity to know everything.
    magic: Mr. Google.
    drawback: still got to search it.

19. voiceburner

voiceburner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuel: Negtive emotional response
    Magic: rage manipulation
    Drawback: Over saturation causeing control lost ,hyper combative personality as a result of use, serve light sensitivity

20. Acarnina

Acarnina  

Reading List:
    Link
    ... So many desires.

Let's take this up a notch, shall we?

While desire is a primal, and thus strong, motivating force, it decisively loses out to so called 'higher' emotions when it comes to motivation. And of these higher emotions, the most widely acknowledged is faith.

Let us take as our example faith in a god such as the Christian. At its limits, it can suppress all desires, overrule self interest, subjugate anger and hate, and basically take over the mind completely to the exclusion of all else. It would not be wrong to say it is among the strongest of emotions.

So with that as our fuel, what would he power be? Obviously, prayer. One would pray to God to deliver essentially anything, and because one believes that God is omnipotent (or at the very least far more powerful than any human) it would have much greater effect than any other magic. The stronger the faith, the stronger the magic delivered by prayer as well, which would create a self reinforcing cycle perpetuating ever stronger faiths, ever stronger prayer magic, and thus an almost limitless cycle of increasing magical influence and power.

The drawback is similarly obvious. One could not expect a prayer which goes against the believed nature of that God to be fulfilled. A benevolent God, for example, would not be able to harm anyone not perceived as absolutely evil. In the reverse, a malevolent deity would not grant prayers of healing or support.

TL;DR: fuel = faith
    Magic= prayers are granted.
    Drawback= prayers contrary to the deities nature are impossible.

Faith is not the only motivation which overwhelms any other emotion, however. While one of the others is often benevolent, the other is anything but. I am speaking, of course, of hatred.

Hatred can drive men to do almost anything to acheive the destruction of their enemy. So hatred magic would be destructive, violent, uncontrollable, and overwhelmingly hostile to everything which at all resembles the principle target of the hatred (or everything, in the case of misandrists and other such people). It would have the ability to corrupt, break, tear down, and destroy everything that exists so long as the user continues to be driven primarily by hatred, but would still possess devastating power if any hatred is contained within a person's heart.

On the other hand, anything good would not come of this magic. One could perhaps heal oneself in order to continue destroying, but beauty, happiness, and joy would be anathema to this magic. It would never permit them to exist, and would corrupt the users mind with ever greater amounts of hatred until they forgot who they are in favor of destroying the world. It would be an extremely dangerous type of magic, and likely taboo as well.

TL;DR: fuel: hate
    Magic: destruction
    Drawback: uncontrollable and only used to destroy.

Another emotion which overwhelms desire is motivation itself, more colloquially known as will. The will to do something, no matter what it is, is far more powerful than the desire to do that same thing. For example, the will to succeed leads one to put forth endless effort and time, while the desire only sometimes leads to the same.

There are two common types of will that are truly distinct from the similar desires: success, and control. While desires of these things often take the form of wishes, the will to do them leads to planning, effort, and eventual obtainment. In terms of magic, each would grant power basically without limits. However, each would also require a constant stream of input effort and drive. They would take far more energy than the similar desire type magics, but have much greater effects. A will to succeed would overwhelm the desire to succeed in magic, leading to crushing triumphs and powerful sleeps of the sort that lead to success. A will to control would overwhelm any desire for freedom or control, leading to basic domination over those subjected to it.

TL;DR: fuel: will as opposed to desire
    Magic: overwhelmingly stronger, but similar to magic that would grant the desire. Defeats non-will based magic all the time.
    Drawback: much more costly and not effortless at all.

Whether in fantasy or reality, what emotion is considered stronger than love? What will people not do for it, and what barriers will not be torn down in their path to acheive it? Love is truly the strongest emotion of them all.

A person who fuels their magic with love will be able to do anything with it, for love. If the person they love is in danger, they will be able to protect them no matter how far or how impossible it may seem. If they need to get home to their love, no mountain will stand in their way. It is omnipotence...

So long as they are acting for love. If selfish desires crop up, if ones own will gets in the way, the magic is lost. Only true love has this limitless power, and the more conflicting emotions swirl about in the heart the weaker they will be. Even so, it is a beautiful magic that could raise the dead or command the gods to stop, for the sake of ones own love.

TL;DR: fuel = love
    Magic = omnipotence
    Drawback = power can only be used (and person can only act) for love.

While those emotions are devotedly powerful, I think my preferred power would be that of the skeptic. You see, the skeptic doesn't believe in anything. In fact, she is certain that there is nothing. Magic? That's impossible. There's no such thing as magic! Gods? Prove it. That's insufficient proof, obviously my eyes and mind are deceiving me. Other people? Really? How can you tell? I certainly can't. They all look like robots to me.

The skeptics power is negation. Because she doesn't believe anything else exists, her magic subconsciously makes it so nothing else affects her to reinforce that belief. So long as her disbelief is as strong or stronger than the other persons 'fuel', she won't be touched by anything.

Of course, the drawback is that it is solely a defensive passive ability. While it technically makes everything the skeptic doesn't believe in unable to harm them, it also can't affect the rest of the world in any way. Further, their power can't protect them from anything they believe can harm them. While they may not believe in dragons, if they believe in fire, the fire breath of a dragon is still dangerous to them if it sets the surroundings on fire. But the skeptic who doesn't even believe in the material world, or time itself, will be immortal, unkillable, and invincible.

TL;DR: fuel= disbelief/skepticism.
    Power= negation of things not believed in
    Drawback= no negation of things believed in, no offensive power.

Omnifarious likes this.