Question can anyone tell me why romance novels...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by zetsuen_dark, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Can anyone tell me why romance novels with female protagonist always have over 1000+ chapters? Like what do they do to extend the plot that long? Is it even good? Is the romance dragged out over the course of 1000+ chapters?

2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Always? :hmm:

The ones I read are 100-200 chapters long. So... I don't think you're reading from the right selection if you're looking for shorter ones :blob_coughblood:

3. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm maybe it's a way to get paid well? :hmm: Frequent updates+lots of chapters.

otaku31 and aintg like this.
  4. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    i think it's always those reborn ones,,, especially those female protags that transmigrates holy moly the novel never stops and if it does there's another one to take it's place im serious

would you even pay for it? i think it might just be on par with those non ending harem novels as well

5. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    This can be the case. But if this makes the plot get dragged for too long, I'd rather read something short but fulfilling.

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  6. GoliathQueen

GoliathQueen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    female cannon fodder schemes, get schemed back, dies or ends up horribly.
    new cannon fodder arrives, schemes for some whatever reason, dies
    repeat.

I've read a novel, I neither remember the title nor the reason I stayed for 1000+ chapters. Both leads had amnesia at some points of the story, there's a love Gu that made the ML fall in love with the villainess, FL 'dies' and discovers she's the heir of a matriarchal empire, and in the middle of all these, lots of cannon fodders to keep the story going.

7. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe~ :hmm: Imagine getting invested in how the story goes. Or just getting invested too much on the characters already xD And just wanting to see the ending wahaha

*nods nods*

8. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I observed this is usually that case. The plot gets dragged and even repetitive. Maybe it's good if you're reading it sporadically but its tiresome if you do it continuously.

aintg and zetsuen_dark like this.
  9. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    you can check out romance tags in mtlnovel and there's countless of those 1000+ romance novels. it always puzzles me how someone can read through all those and then feel satisfied to read another one again. it's torture

Shizukani likes this.
  10. Lissi

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, again... depends on the novel.

I've read reborn FL romance novels and transmigrated FL romance novels that don't go past 200 chapters lol

aShinyVaporeon and otaku31 like this.
  11. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    en en,,, also the romance more often than not is very generic as well

wait really? i was thinking that maybe it's just due to western fantasy/eastern fantasy transmigration but i just recently encountered one that was rebirth in modern world but somehow it still went on to 1000+ chapters. i might be unlucky

12. idlereader

idlereader 『Agentt's Aunt』『Don't touch the Flowersss!!!!』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I actually read though 2000 chaps of a certain romance novel and dropped it because it's just turning nonsense at some point...

My timeeeeeeeee :blobcurse: :blobunamused::blobupset:

aintg and zetsuen_dark like this.
  13. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    that sounds really bothersome. if i encountered those plot points i'll just drop it. mutual amnesia + convenient plot device to make misunderstandings and angst? that's some bullshit right there. it's like adding more adjectives to lengthen your essay to reach the word count

GoliathQueen likes this.
  14. Lissi

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... why don't you use series finder to filter out those 1000+ chapters long ones?

zetsuen_dark likes this.
  15. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    at 2000+ chapters i wouldn't be surprised if random aliens came in and they also have some power to brainwash the ml and then the fl would be caught up in some random bs then a female cannon fodder would come out to make misunderstandings then they go through it with the power of love then it becomes an interstellar novel. don't ask what i've gone through, it's painful

well i was reading stuff on mtlnovel and almost all transmigration female protags they have are abundant in chapters. it's hellish

idlereader likes this.
  16. solivagantsoul

solivagantsoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the ones that go to 1000+ chapters are usually the ones with the tag 'josei' and is a contemporary romance. there the pairing is usually not as smooth or with many twists and turns or usually, there would be lots of family drama, career-building etc that would cause the novel to stretch.

All novels that I've read that go up 500-5000 chapters usually have the element of rebirth/transmigration/reincarnation+face-slapping+multiple identities+growing a business+becoming a god doctor + becoming a military genius etc...these are just the modern ones.
    plus the ones that have the sci-fi genre too take up a fantasy route and may have elements of cultivation and other supernatural beings.

in fact, in a lot of cases, the plot is too predictable but after all, they target certain audiences that dig that shit-including me

17. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    well i was reading stuff on mtlnovel and almost all transmigration female protags they have are abundant in chapters. it'
    what is the enjoyment found in these type of novels? it's really puzzling about what the market is like for these types of novels honestly. is there something special that you find about these 1000+ chapter long novels or is it just a compromise? do you really seek out these types of novels purposely or it's just that there's not much novels out there that use these tropes in a better way?

18. Aki9012

Aki9012 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is generally the case in Chinese romance novels where there's a lot of drama, getting misunderstood, getting hurt, struggling to reach the top in an often corrupt industry, getting kidnapped, pregnancy related issues, and all sorts of angst. I honestly prefer shorter romance novels, they have much lesser drama, but long 1000+ chapter long novels are not all bad either. Generally, each chapter is much shorter than in most other web novels as well, so it may not be as exhausting to read as it seems.

19. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are, broadly speaking, two kinds of female protagonist based romance stories: one with the dog blood elements and the other with dog food. And while they might not always be mutually exclusive, I read ones only containing the latter.

aShinyVaporeon, asriu, aintg and 2 others like this.
  20. zetsuen_dark

Reading List:
    Link
    the lesser word count per chapter would indeed alleviate some problems present. what i do sometimes is just skip like a hundred chapters or so then either continue skipping or start reading seriously again.

Words to live by. I shall henceforth do it according to your wise advice and deep experience master!

aShinyVaporeon, aintg and otaku31 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.