Question Can i ask a native speaker to summarize a novel for me?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cristae, Feb 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cristae

Cristae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If i happen to buy korean novels or japanese light novels or chinese novels that I'm interested in, would someone summarize the contents for me? Also, I would like a native speaker or someone well versed in the language to do it.

Although I've used mtl especially if i really liked the story and there's a cliffhanger, the confusion that would follow are a headache and there's the sense that I've missed half the story. I want a summary of the events in the whole book or volume. If that was too long, a summary by chapter would be acceptable. Basically, i just want a detailed spoiler of the novel.

By the way, this is all hypothetically speaking since i still need to choose which novel and fork out the costs but i did have this idea since long ago (i basically started saving a year ago). I just want to know if this is feasible.

I think it's less hassle than translating the whole thing.

P.S. I'm forking out the cost to buy it so I'm not responsible to the labor hours you did for racking your brains trying to translate the names or places just to make the summary.

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    Summary: there is an MC, there is a reason why they are special, they'll met a stereotypical cast of secondary character and face some sort of confict.
    They will either fail or suceed against the conflict, but no matter they will learn a valuable lesson
    "Every word is worth money"

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those aren't my native language but I'll answer the question. Assuming the native language is mine, my answer would be no.

4. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, there are paid translators... Or google translate always works

5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Many of the popular ones likely have summaries floating on the web anyways. Try checking blogs/wikis. Of course, a summary will never match a translation.

Akemilly likes this.
  6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's a Japanese Light Novel then it's highly likely that the summary is already in the goddamn title

7. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - Look at the title of the novel
    - Look at the description/synopsis of the novel
    - Look at the first chapter of the novel
    - Look at the review section

Akemilly likes this.
  8. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see some methods like search for wiki-like fan page there are some in english or the authors language if the story got some views...
    If that is not an option search forums after last chapter discussion aka lcd some reviews got also too deep into it...

9. SuchHappy

SuchHappy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see why it matters whether or not you bought the book and it certainly doesn't matter if all that you want is a summary, either way you are asking someone to translate a book for free. The only reason I could see someone helping you is for "the grand pursuit of knowledge".

10. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not just read or open up the spoiler thread in that case?? have someone else bear the headache and you get the summary for free...

VeraH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.