Question Can someone explain about chaos in most Chinese novel for me

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by nail, Apr 14, 2021.

1. nail

nail Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In high end level there are almost always Dao(path) and(or) chaos

for Dao(path) I can somehow understand its important ,but what about chaos?

2. Dearling

Dearling Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chaos in what context? Like heart demons or the demon path or what...?

Napelynn likes this.
  3. NothingIsEternal

NothingIsEternal Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In fact, Chaos in general means the rival of the Dao, which comes from the mythology of Pangu, who comes out of chaos and fights against the Heavenly Dao. If you want it is the rival of the Dao (3000 paths). The Dao is a clear and well-ordered path, while chaos is confusing and disorganized but have infinte possibilities, while dao is supressing by force people and will not let is authorites flee.

Not sure tho...... my interpretation.

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder what the original Chinese word is being translated to Chaos. There's "邪", but that's usually translated as "evil" or "heretical" or "unorthodox". There's "乱" but that's about the chaotic state; it doesn't work as a concept.

Chaos doesn't seem like a Chinese term at all. "Dao" isn't the equivalent of Order and there's nothing that directly opposes it so there's no real place in Chinese cosmology for the concept of Chaos. So I imagine that the writers using it are just inspired by what they see in Western or maybe Japanese media, so it's just as useful looking at these to figure out what Chaos is. Also, I suspect that each writer is putting their own interpretation on the idea so there isn't going to be one consistent explanation that will work for different books.