Can this replace the need for a World Government?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by AIm21, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    @lychee is making the point that, while terrestrial territory can be divided up easily, orbital space cannot. Orbital space is an all-or-nothing concept. Your council of five have to be completely united as allies otherwise you have to deal with the problem of the ever-present risk of war in orbit. With control of orbit comes effective control of the world unless there is one hell of a monstrous ground-based orbit defence system.

My question is: Is the Council completely united or are they somewhat more realistically working together but privately suspicious and scheming?

2. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are not exactly united, but not at war the moment either... so yeah they are privately suspicious and scheming.

3. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Id say it works out to an extend. By then mega corps would be stronger than these super powers tho. Or at the very least stronger than the average nation.

4. Saxon Violence

Saxon Violence Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Friend,

I loath the idea of "one-world" government. While I'm not optimistic, I'd like to see Nations continue to exist indefinitely without unseemly merging.

A friend loaned me a book that was part of a larger series—it was SF not Xianxia—but the premise was that after FTL was invented, the States ran with the idea.

You had Planets colonized by Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, Indiana etc.

I don't remember the title or the name of the series. While I wasn't enraptured by that story, I really liked the concept.

{For Chinese readers—imagine a planet colonized by Sichuan. Japanese folk, imagine a planet colonized by Hokkaido…}

Saxon Violence

5. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which government would have the following member: an SJW nagging Flat-Earth mother-in-law who lives in a van down by the river with Seymour, a Chris Walken-sounding and silent film-watching vegan cannibal zombie moose?