Discussion Can you accept Novel derailing into Endless Side Questing, Sandbox exploration, Inv-Slice-of-Life?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by SummerMascot, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you serious :blobunsure:?

2. Reward

Reward Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that’s truth. :cookie:
    If it was like the beginning of one piece, no such dragged, surely it won’t have so much haters. The recaps/op/ending of an episode is about 7 minutes or more. That’s way too much, waiting a week for 16 minutes of one pieces..

3. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not a one piece specific, as most of "popular" shonen suffer from this kind of stuff (more than 1/3, sometime close to half of the time of the episode taken by the opening/ending and the recap/next episode announcement)... And you also forgot the scourge of lazy storytelling : flashback spamming...

Sabruness likes this.
  4. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The pivotal rule of writing is that everything that happens in your story should serve a purpose. What this means is even if it looks like the story is derailing, if we get something from it, which can be carried on into the rest of the story, it wasn't pointless. This can be meeting a new character, getting a new power, learning some valuable information, or just good old fashion character development. It doesn't matter what it is, just as long as this new information is not abandoned immediately after. If you never see that new character again, if the power is lost or forgotten about, if the valuable information turned out to be red herring, if the character reverts to their previous state. That is when the derailing was truly and utterly pointless filler.

Halmista likes this.
  5. SummerMascot

SummerMascot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What about all those Tencent 9min animation episodes, which includes a 2min Singing Intro and a 3min Free-To-Play/Pay-to-Win Mobile Game Outro?

6. Reward

Reward Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know but one piece still stand out among those popular shonens. It eat at least 1 more minutes.
    Also, if you count even those useless scenes (not from the manga), just how much will it left from the episodes.. better to escape this reality by avoiding speaking the truth.. ugh..

7. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my favorite things in any story is a great foreshadowing and callback. Especially when it was weaved so tightly in the plot. Yum!

8. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One pice worked more than some others because the maker use the "mistery" in form of the true/first priate king background story that is told in small parts from time to time in form of charackters with a "deep" story from back then.

But to many side quests and with characters that are only in side quest part but got something like 5 pages of intrudution to be later be left out by plot after the quest is done kills the story if its done to many times the same apply to the characters grow.

It should be done careful and not overused like some arena fights.

9. asaade

asaade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends if the side story is still related to main story or it will only be a few arc its acceptable not like one piece i stopped reading it years ago its becoming ridiculous just like bleach, naruto have already ended but one piece is still far from being finished it will still need a decade before it ended because of useless side stories

10. LOTRfreak101

LOTRfreak101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never seen one piece and won't because I hate the art style, but I think it depends on what the series starts out as. So long as it starts as a series that is more or less about the journey, then it's fine if it never reaches an actual goal. something like the Death March wn is excellent because his goal is only to ever travel around the world and everything that happens that's vital to the world is a consequence of him making it either easier to travel or to protect his companions. although like other series that are stat based there really is a soft limit on how long they can grow stronger for.

11. SummerMascot

SummerMascot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Naruto didn't end -> There's the neverending abomination called Boruto...

12. pyramidhead

pyramidhead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen quite a few series do this in an attempt to add length to a series that should be nearing it's end and I will say there can be good moments and entertainment but most people just skip over filler arcs simply because they either add nothing/aren't entertaining/don't mean anything to the main story/etc. Sometimes those side arcs can be interesting or add stuff to the story but that's usually not the case.

13. asaade

asaade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah it is, Boruto is a new story with a new author so the two isnt even the same Boruto is trash compared to Naruto.. Naruto have a great story and have a clear goal since the start

14. Gtro4

Gtro4 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sidequests can be amusing and fulfilling in an appropriate amount. But a journey needs a destination just like every story needs an ending. Otherwise you're just a zombie or certain WN readers (hint hint);)

Sabruness likes this.
  15. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally no I wouldn’t accept it. Though as a side note the example of One Piece isn’t really correct since the main story is actually progressing. Very slowly sure but it does come closer to the end.

16. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a thing that can derail very easy, I personally like but more in anime, anime slice of life is good to relax but novel slice of life I need a special mood to sit and to read with calm and reading everything. At end, it's a thing that depends some things.

Sabruness likes this.
  17. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The saying is wrong because the Journey is suppose to aid you on your main quest even if you don't arrive at your destination, at least it is close to it, and you got something out of that journey even if it isn't the one you initially wanted. So journeying for journey sake only make you a wanderer without direction.

In story term, you are just writing filer for filer sake or are using filer to buy time because you are having writers block.

Sabruness likes this.
  18. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to say.... because it's rare to a novel have all of those bad points in one package except the novel itself really a slice of life fantasy novel, not an action or adventure one
    But if a novel already tagged as slice of life genre you should expect some of these points to happen

19. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, One Piece's chapter quantity was not a problem for me, probably because I was a kid. My principal problem with One Piece is away of chapter quantity and I still thinking this way with novels, 1k chapters is pretty short.

20. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    This remember me of a historical novel and the reviews was upset because the author taked so much time explaning and dropping historical information (not truth, the time was very short), they were upset with the author's encyclopedic knowledge. Anyway, maybe make reason people upset about information and things when is only a fantasy novel that you read to kill time.