Resolved Can you help me with these Chinese sentences?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by yourstrulylen, Nov 8, 2021.

1. yourstrulylen

yourstrulylen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi!

I want to mtl a series since it's such a good novel for my own reading though. I have difficulty understanding these sentences.

"罗贝非常有自知之明,就她这样的条件,想要凭一张脸嫁给有钱人,人家有钱人又不是疯了……"

With mtl, it translated to:

"Luo Bei is very self-aware. With conditions like hers, if she wants to marry a rich man with her face, it's not crazy to be rich.……"

What does this mean? Does it mean that if she wants to marry a rich man with her face, it's lucky enough that he's not crazy? Or what?

Please help.

Sincerely,

A reader who MTLs

2. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Luo Bei is very self-aware. With a body like hers, if she wants to marry a wealthy person with her face, it's not impossible to be rich

yourstrulylen likes this.
  3. Neko_Meow

Neko_Meow New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Luo Bei has self-awareness. With her qualifications (idk need more context, can be looks, background etc), to want to marry a rich guy with just her looks, it’s not like the rich guy is crazy/out of his mind...

4. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The last phrase could mean either:
    • it's not like the rich guy is a lunatic...
    • and not have it be a lunatic rich guy...
    [人家] [有钱人] [又] [不是疯了]
    [other party] [rich people] [also] [not crazy]
    [other party] [rich people] [not crazy] = rich people are not crazy
    [also] [not crazy] [other party] [rich people] = and not a crazy rich person

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  5. yourstrulylen

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for helping a small reader like me!

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    罗贝非常有自知之明
    Luo Bei understands herself very well.

就她这样的条件
    Given her selling points,

Note here that "条件" is a fairly simple concept, but translating to "conditions" is almost always wrong even though that's sort of what the term means. The reason is that we don't use the word "condition" the way a Chinese speaker would. In the Chinese definition, it means the totality of all of a person's positive (and some negative) points as some sort of attraction factor toward a particular prospect. What points matter in this will depend on what kind of prospect is. So for marriage prospects, it'll include almost everything, from attractiveness, to charisma, to wealth, to status, to education level, and to large possessions like cars and houses.

想要凭一张脸嫁给有钱人
    if she were to be able to marry a wealthy man purely on the basis of her looks,

人家有钱人又不是疯了
    then wouldn't that wealthy man be insane?

MTL is going to lead you in the wrong direction because it's rarely a good idea to translate Chinese words literally.

7. yourstrulylen

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much for your guidance! Thank you for noticing the plight of this small reader!

I know it's not good to MTL chinese sentences but I've fallen in love with a series recently and the translator stopped with their updates.

I decided to MTL for my own leisure. Although if it's good enough, be able to share it with others too. But since I'm not a native Chinese speaker and I know squat about Chinese, MTL it is!

That's why thank you very much for enlightening such confusing Chinese sentences!