Request Card Games??

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Wujigege, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
  2. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can think of a card game as a type of board game, except it is significantly more expensive. The world-wide top 3 card games are Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and the one you mentioned that's fully called Magic: The Gathering.

They can be pretty fun, I have a lot of experience playing card games.

Westeller and Wujigege like this.
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the average cost for a Deck?
    Are decks unique or everyone buys the same set of cards?

4. bidoblob

bidoblob Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd explain properly , but it would take too long.
    Decks are mostly unique, some might copy decks of famous players though.
    A starting deck is suggested if you wanma try, they're not that expensive, and they're like 30 euro I think ish. In either of those three.
    There is no useful information from the average cost of a deck.
    Card games are slightly dying with the introduction of computer games. So it's more hard to find other noobs to play casually with.
    At least here in Sweden.
    If you wanna try I suggest visiting your friend and asking to play with him with his cards. He should give you a handicap.

Beltran likes this.
  5. UsernameJ

Reading List:
    Link
    Collectible Card Games (CCG) are known by their difference from your standard poker deck of cards (52 cards that haven't changed for hundreds of years).

Typically how the monetization works is that a "set" will be released by the company who makes the card game. This set includes say 200 unique cards. Cards are assigned a rarity like Magic's Common, Uncommon, Rare, Mythic Rare. There will be a spread of something like 120 commons, 40 uncommons, 30 rares, and 10 mythics.

People spend money to buy the product. Either in "booster packs" that are sold individually or "boxes" which is a full box of booster packs. Ambitious players/investors can buy "cases" which is a collection of boxes. I don't know mtg prices very well but I think it's something like 60$/box and 300$/case. After cracking open the packs you now own the cards. Since anyone can buy this product anyone can get these cards, and there is always a secondary market between players to buy and sell cards from. The common sense of competitive/serious players is "never buy packs, buy singles" which refers to eschewing buying booster packs and just spending your money on cards from the secondary market.

There are usually different ways to play the game. Magic is known for being more flexible and having different kinds of "formats". Yugioh has a frequently updated banlist of cards you can play or not play in your deck, which combined with the continuous release of new sets makes the game change quite a bit at least a couple of times a year (change as in what you'd play or play against in a tournament).

Magic has formats like "Modern" and "Standard" which is basically how far back you can go and still play the cards. New sets introduce new cards and new ways those cards can be played, and when you stockpile 10 years worth of cards you can get wildly different levels of power. Formats are a way of kind of equalizing things, as well as letting people have cards from long ago that they can still play with at official tournaments. Of course there are no rules if you're just playing casually with friends. If you have the card you're free to use it in your deck.

Other than that you just build your deck according to the rules of the game and play. A nice thing about card games is that if they stick around for a while (many, many games die after 1-3 years. That hero academia game will probably be dead in 2 years) then there are a lot of different kinds of decks to build and play. Some people like to play fast and aggressive, others not so much. You can always find a deck that you'll enjoy playing (though it might not be very good/competitive).

All in all it's a decent hobby to have because it's very social (you play in person against other people at your local card shop) and deckbuilding is a very personal and creative process.

It's also a terrible hobby to have because it can be ridiculously expensive (literally 1000$ for one deck, a stack of 40-60 cards, prices come from the secondary market) and frustrating sometimes because of it's inherently lucky nature.

As someone who played ygo for 8+ years at a very high level, I would suggest you look at magic if you want to try card games (ygo is terrible now lol). They recently came out with a digital client to play the game called MTG Arena which you can start playing for free (and earning packs in game for free as well). Magic is by no means the superiour/best card game (though many magic players will say otherwise) but it's robust, has a long history, and is everywhere.

AliceShiki, Beltran and Liyus like this.
  6. bidoblob

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tried Magic, but never started playing it for real, Yu-Gi-Oh was enough.
    I played Pokémon when I was a kid but didn't continue with how cards older than 2 years are prohibited in tournaments
    I also played Yu-Gi-Oh but I had less and less friends that still played it so I stopped.
    Edor: I had even less friends who played Pokémon for the same reason as I dropped it.

7. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    >30 euros
    >not expensive

Umm I feel poor now.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  8. bidoblob

Reading List:
    Link
    rip. I mean, it's a game. How much does a proper game cost? And compared to buying card packs and stuff and playing seriously and keeping up with the constantly changing meta...
    Edit :And thinking about it its probably less than lile 3 euros. Gonna go check.
    Quick check at a store that only sells board and card games said a starter deck is like 15 euros.

9. UsernameJ

Reading List:
    Link
    There are lots of ways to play card games on the cheap. Magic has a player-created format known as "Pauper" which is "common rarity cards only", though of course the best decks use common cards printed 20 years ago so they're still like 20$/each and a playset is 4 so even pauper has some money in it. But it's totally do-able to play pauper with more recent cards (past 10 years) and have a deck be like 8$USD.

There's an entire youtube channel called Commander's Quarters which is dedicated to <25$ Commander decks. Commander also being a player-created way to play magic that got so popular Wizard's Of The Coast (they make magic) turned it into a real thing and now it's officially supported and they make products specifically for commander.

Yugioh can also be played pretty cheaply if you stick to jank decks. Just sort of have to know what you're doing and avoid the trap that is opening packs. If you have only 10-20$/month you can play card games still, just don't expect to be winning any tournaments lol.

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends on area, deck size, etc. it's usually about $8 for a booster pack (which has 8ish random cards), $20 for a starter deck (has all you need to get started, but usually more filler than you'll actually want in a custom deck), and sometimes there's tins with multiple booster packs that can also be a nice way to hold loose cards or store your deck and goes for about $20-24.

game rules and gameplay vary a lot (although some share a number of similarities), so without having played the game you're looking into, i can't really comment much on it. just guessin here but the my heroes game looks like a point/reward competition where there may be no direct fighting between players and just try to score as much as they can before the game ends. games like yugioh and magic are more combat oriented, where the goal is harm the opponent and bring their "life" to zero, rather than aiming for the highest score. pokemon's system (last i played) was won by defeating a certain number of your opponent's pokemon, or clearing their field and leaving them defenseless. pokemon Jr adventure would be the odd stepchild of the bunch in that it's actually played more like and RPG, with a very simplistic character sheet, rather than as a TCG. this only has the one deck, and there's no booster packs or variations to be had, so it's not really a trading card game. it's also not particularly competitive.

the best way to get an idea of whatever game you're into is going over the instruction pamphlet online and/or picking up a starter deck (which comes with said pamphlet). without the context of the cards themselves, and all they can do, you may not get a full picture, but that should give you a decent enough idea of how to play so you can get a better understanding of what you're looking at as you research further.

and just for good measure, if you're really looking into starting a TCG, they can be a massive money-sink and may leave you feeling overwhelmed as you're starting out (both in collecting/building your deck, as well compared to people that've been playing/collecting a much longer time), but they also tend to add new mechanics as time goes on for completely different styles of gameplay which can help even the field. that said, it still takes a fairly decent investment if you're looking to make a strong deck.

Miku likes this.
  11. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    You can play them online on ygopro / mtgarena

Panzaro and Miku like this.
  12. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry. . .
    the only card games that i know are. . . .
    Lucky 9. . .
    Tong It's . . .
    Poker. . .
    Strip Poker. . .. :blobnosebleed::blobnosebleed::blobnosebleed::blobnosebleed:

Beltran likes this.
  13. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am playing Slay the Spire, best card game ever made.

alamptr and Astaroth like this.
  14. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Only ones I know are Uno, and exploding kittens. Though I know a bit about magic the gathering cause I've seen a videogame of it, just like how much you know strip poker.

Beltran likes this.
  15. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    download one of the free to play online CCGs like Hearthstone, Magic whatever the fuck (how many failed attempts at an online MTG are there again?), Shadowverse, and so on. (They play fairly similarly, though I'd suggest Hearthstone since it's the simplest, easiest to use UI, and has a good mix of singleplayer and multiplier content so you can learn the game before jumping straight into getting demolished by other players.)

And then you just imagine the exact same thing, but on physical cards instead of digital ones and that's what a collectible/trading card game is.

Of course, if you don't want to spend the time just check some youtube video or something.

16. anormrobot

anormrobot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CCGs are games that you play with friends at extraordinary costs. Getting cards from packs is, and if not 90% of the pleasure in CCG because losing is frustrating and winning only happens half of the time. I'd recommend trying one out and playing with your friends... What no friends? Well you could still have fun by open packs in the desolate corner... by yourself... but it's much better to waste your money on mobile gatcha games otherwise, they have more waifus.

17. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    physical card games are somewhat expensive and in some cases the cards that you are playing with will not be allowed in tournament ( looking at you card of safe return) the reason being that the card is either overpowered due to new mechanics or cards introduced later in the games life or due to rotation which is made to make players play with newer cards.

my advise play a digital card game like hearthstone, magic the gathering arena, the elder scrolls legends, gwent, or eternal first before you get into physical card games

18. InfernoRampage

InfernoRampage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also ygopro (Yugioh online)just download it make a deck on there it's all free and if you like it you can buy the physical copy but it'll most likely be pricey
    https://ygopro.org

19. Lucresia

Lucresia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are a casual player then I would say just give up unless you have some friends who play casually. Let me tell you it is no fun playing with someone who is into the competitive scene.

20. bidoblob

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I also didn't want to bring up the long explanation because at the moment this must be all very confusing for you by now.

But basically, a TCG (or OCG) like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon or Magic is more like a long time hobby that you spend some money on every now and then. And thus because you play in new ways with your new cards (maybe) gets a lot of variation, especially if you can go to a place where people play it and play against people whose whole decks might consist of cards you've never even seen before.

And I agree that Yu-Gi-Oh is pretty shit right now. Especially in tournaments. And Pokémon... As I said only lets you play recent cards. And while MTG (Magic) seems like it could be fun, I've moved on from TCGs and OCGs.

Also, some people here mention that there are other card games, some other TCG/CCG that are probably dead in a year or so, and some Card Games that are different and not collection in this sense. Where it's just like a board game, but played with cards. Some party games, some fun games to compete with friends, like for example Star Realms, a really fun 2 player card game (it can also be played with 2 more players if you combine two decks, and 2 more after that for another) or other things. Or Munchkin, which is a card RPG, it's a 3+ players game that I like. There are tons of good card games out there, but also bad ones.