News Centinni: Behind the Scenes

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by WhiteMoonlight, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just_areader2

just_areader2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the grammar! I actually have to say that my hands were itching to fix everything in Centinni's posts, announcements, and statements. So many mistakes!! But I wasn't really sure if I wanted to sacrifice myself for the greater good like that. Glad to have found another grammar buddy!

2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think at this point I’ve learned to tune out all but the most egregious mistakes, as it would just be too much stress. I did try writing grammar posts and I eventually complied then into a blog, but the effort seems useless. I also get told “so what?” a good deal when I try to point out mistakes... :blobpensive:

maiphan, DjB1, Blitz and 5 others like this.
  3. just_areader2

just_areader2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I get that too. Luckily, there are still people who are willing to listen. Please link me to your blog!

DjB1, shan1102, Chronos5884 and 2 others like this.
  4. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    DjB1, Blitz, shan1102 and 5 others like this.
  5. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    wt heck i just wanted to know what happened to the translator who was planning on moving The Protagonists Are Killed By Me to Centinni cos the links are dead and the discord invite doesnt work, but woh, drama.

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You are certainly focused lol.
    I am not disparaging but people on here try to become police or whatever

At the end of the day, they are here to read novels, not police websites.

If they were such vigilantes, they should go fight the triads on something and not be some keyboard warriors on here.

Centinni group I can summarize in one word: naive.

All they had to do was publish 20 chapters and everything will blow over.
    These hypocrites will claim amnesia
    [​IMG]

7. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry about that. I don't mean to sound sarcastic or uncaring about the ethics of whatever is going on, I was just in a hurry to post and I guess I didn't word it very well. I was just looking for the translator for the reason of why the novel I was reading wasn't being uploaded and I just found a thread about Centinni so I thought I could come here and ask for some closure on it since I wasn't clear who the translator on this series was on novelupates.

Anyways... yeah. I've learned some interesting things about the translation scene over these years of reading novels. Lot of slightly shady stuff going on down here. Stuff like this will just occasionally happen every now and then, I guess, is my view on it. And that it's good for people to be called out, I just don't really have the time to take part in it.

DjB1 and kenar like this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You misunderstood. I am not calling you sarcastic.

I am commending you for not being part of this lynch mob.

These idiots are not aware that they are worse than the people they claim to be bringing to justice.

Best of luck to you

9. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I guess if that’s how you think of people who try to stand up against someone being bullied, you live in a dark world, man.

While I was avoiding Centinni before this whole debacle for reasons I explained on page 1, I was inclined to give it another chance at some point. That really isn’t going to happen now. I don’t care if I lose out on chapters, I’m not going to read from a group that violates my ethical standards.

Edit: up until now, I haven’t filtered out Centinni or blocked them, in the hope that they’d do the right thing and apologize, but since I’m in danger of being considered a hypocrite and an idiot, I have now filtered out Centinni releases from NU and blocked them on Mangadex. Well, now I can say I’ve upheld my convictions.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    maiphan, chocosheeps, Snowbun and 2 others like this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not talking about your group.
    There is another group: those lynching.

It is one thing to ask someone to take responsibility it is another to lynch them.
    In case you did not notice, you have people with their own agendas who come out and say they were always bad regardless of this and then they leak that Centinni was formerly part of their group and left to be independent
    Which means they are biased and are just here to fan the flames.
    They are not here to stand for the bullied
    They are on this thread for their own selfish motives

It is easy to become the monster you are fighting.

11. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, what are you here for? Most people came here to support OP and then realized Centinni's full of shit. I swear, half of what you've been doing in this thread is talking numbers about how much someone can earn from adsense and fighting other people about their numbers. And you're really going to throw shade about someone here to "fan the flames" when a) they didn't come here only to say that, and b) they mentioned it because Centinni's side brought out their translation site's money split as an argument in the first place? Stop it. I seriously can't tell if you're just trolling all the time to get your comment count up or you're really so blind to the important things. I wasn't going to say anything, but come on.

maiphan, korynchan, DjB1 and 14 others like this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Centinni is full of shit so it's okay to bully them?

At the end of the day, someone pointed something out.
    It was the management team that did all the crap, not the translators.

Fighting bullying by bullying is just stupid.

You should pay attention to this thread.

You don't need near 20 pages to request an apology or raise the alarm on a website.

Most importantly you are all overestimating yourselves.

Are you fighting for justice or just feeding your ego.

You want to support the OP send a private message.
    Offer solutions.
    Those who own websites offer a better contract etc.

All of this do not require a lynch thread.

EDIT: If you all really want to support and help translators getting exploited start a Legal 101 thread similar to my Ads 101 threads. Contact the mods to pin it as a resource thread.
    We can point people to it.
    Everyone here keeps saying I support
    I call hogwash!
    Put your money where your mouth is.

Cheers!

13. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 2 of punching in to see if there are any updates. There are none and Centinni is probably playing the ostrich. All that's new are more people fighting. The only ones still reading this thread are only waiting for the day Centinni actually says something (anything)? No one's doing anything but waiting and bumping the thread to make sure the topic doesn't fade to obscurity.

But man, it's getting mighty off-topic here. Might just take up the red pen and going through the statements this weekend when work's done just to keep the thread on topic.

maiphan, DjB1, FoolishCarp and 7 others like this.
  14. Chronos5884

Chronos5884 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of these pages are pages talking about taxes, adsense, and payment plans. This is 7 pages less than 20 pages.

I feel like most of the posts that aren't talking about ad payment breakdowns, other translation groups payment plans, general business advice, and tax advice are mostly:
    • requests for apologies
    • pointing out why something is wrong,
    • pointing out that some changes haven't been made
    • pointing out that the apology that was given was backhanded (last I checked)
    • that doxxing people is bad and going too far
    • centinni handled things badly and seems very shady for some people
    • it's unfortunate what happened to the translator
    • if you don't understand finances/businesses, maybe you shouldn't handle finances/businesses
    • if a proper apology isn't made, certain people will stop reading from the site
    • checking to see if things have improved or not
    • other translators saying "yeah, but we didn't know that, so don't blame the group" (most people as far as I can tell were mostly blaming leadership/management over at that site)
    • that centinni leadership appears quite two-faced claiming their work is volunteer work in public and in private saying everyone will get paid then getting upset when someone wants to be paid full amount and then slandering said person to tons of people after pretending they wanted to part on good terms
    I don't really think I saw much bullying. I did see a lot of frustration though. Admittedly I was mostly skimming the thread anyways as things unfolded.

myhlmes, maiphan, DjB1 and 12 others like this.
  15. nosebleed

nosebleed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just sharing.. no hating..
    You see.. I was once a member of centinni. A TL for English to Indonesian.
    The ad for recruitment was on Facebook Group. I was intrested thus I joined. I knew it was a paid job... but...

My idea of translating was.. "Hey lemme see what's your list and let me pick up my novel"

Yep.. I sure had the chance to see them.. but then they forced me to choose another 2 titles.
    In total I was responsible for TLing 3 titles. 2 novels and 1 Manhua.
    From those 3 titles, I personally only like 1 title. The other 2.. meehh..
    That's not the problem. The problem is that there is no 'human' communication. It's like they are your boss not your friend. I know it's a job... but... For a newbie, It's not a right group to start TLing. Why?

(This is my personal experience)
    1. They did not tell you what to expect in regards to money. How much you are going to get etc...
    2. You can choose your Novel to TL but then you are forced to do another Job that you did not come for.
    3. You are forced to follow a strict schedule, one that you are not ready to take. Sure it's for the money.. but still..
    4. You are forced to follow a strict requirements. (In my case i was told to TL 20 chaps for each titles in five days, sounds easy? Nope..)

I did TL one novel.. 3 chaps? I forgot.. then I realized it's not worth it.. then they kicked me because I did not post any chaps after that 3 earlier.. duh.. my spider sense got triggered. Also my internet is shit.

My points:
    1. If you are a newbie, expect some harsh schedule and requirements.
    2. make sure that you and the staff are at the same page about the salary.
    3. They are.. a little bit shady.. LOL

No hating, just sharing.
    -DaoistNorthernIsland

Shio, maiphan, Serefina and 15 others like this.
  16. streakingzero

streakingzero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Excuse me Wuji. I want to ask you 1 question. Can you explain to us how exactly the NUF users bullies the Centinni representatives? I am curious how can you see this as bullying

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not saying 100% of NUF users are bullying them but let's not pretend that it is not happening.
    You say that you want to support the OP, I listed actual ways to support.
    13 14pages of thread that the OP didn't reply to more than twice(the last I counted) is not support.

Someone also pointed out that some of the representatives are also minors.
    Do you think it is alright to do this to kids?

I doubt any of the people claiming to support the OP actually bothered to send a private message to the OP.

All I see is mostly grandstanding

EDIT: Your intentions are irrelevant. You could have saintly intentions but...the road to hell is paved with good intentions

Random.poet and streakingzero like this.
  18. Chronos5884

Chronos5884 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not really an explanation of how people have bullied the Centinni people. Rather, I still don't know what you mean by bullying.

I legitimately have no idea what you mean by bullying. Earlier I thought you meant that saying that you would stop reading Centinni translations was bullying. But now I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Right now, to me your definition of bullying could mean:
    • Not dropping the subject since there's not really been a satisfactory apology (they're only children, who expects a proper apology from them? (this probably isn't it, but really at this point in time it's actually a possibility. People have surprised me more than once.) )
    • Checking in to see if there's been a change in the subject
    • Posting in this thread is bullying Centinni translations
    • Pointing out that Centinni translations don't seem to put their money where their mouth is in general
    • Posts about Centinni translations grammar
    • Joke posts about money distribution for people who post in this thread for having to read the not very well-crafted public relations blame shifting post Centinni made.
    • Uh... talking about how certain groups distribute their income

Anyways, regardless of the age of the representatives. It was not right to doxx a person, slander them publicly, call them a traitor for not sticking around no matter what (it's what children do, but you should at least encourage them to be responsible, mature, and considerate, especially when money is involved), or to try to divert the topic to avoid having to deal with consequences.

Children or not, their words and actions can and will cause great harm. So it is important to address these things when they come up.

maiphan, DjB1, chocosheeps and 5 others like this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You admitted to skimming through the thread.. so let's not pretend that you read the whole thing.
    Also, I am not the only one and I know what I saw.
    As I said, intentions are irrelevant.

No need to be wordy.
    Cheers!

This is why I tell people to start their own websites.
    But let's be honest you were not forced.
    You were not in some basement under lock and key.
    Jobs are usually crap that is why I encourage entrepreneurship.
    You only get the treatment you believe you deserve when you are your own boss.
    Contact me if you are interested in being your own boss.
    Cheers!

20. streakingzero

streakingzero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm, you still did not answer my question. How, in what way did Centinni get bullied? Did someone intend to hurt them physically/mentally/emotionally without reason? Did someone intimidate them, or trying to dominate them? Did any individual here that spoke held any power over Centinni, which is an organization/group? If so, what kind of power? Did Centinni get "punished" by anyone here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.