News Centinni: Behind the Scenes

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by WhiteMoonlight, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i find it so funny, that the translator community from centine is worried about the bad rep; they came here multiples times asking people to not blame the translators and they still keep coming after 7 pages.
    people this is the real world: the human race would not drop a novel if it is being translated ; all this ranting about "never gonna read" in that group again; and yes this includes the big "the name that should not be written" is a LIE, they read it anyway, they may be ashamed of reading it and use their "private section" in their browser to do so and do angry comments on the internet about not reading them anymore, but they do.

and yes: everyone does it: don't believe when someone does not, once you "put" TIME on the table you can forgive even someone of your family who robbed you of your living means or a girl-boy friend who betrayed you with the school bully, how much time do you think is needed to for A novel Junky to forgive a group who is doing his favorite novel? A novel junky will always seek to fulfill their craving for chapters!!!

if human race nature is already awful enough; human race nature of novel junkies is even worse!.
    this is the world we live in, just check this very thread for example: like other said when money is on the table everything changes from child play to grown up world and holy hell so many "money" problems have pop up recently in this hobby world, shows itself how dangerous we are ourselves.

and holy hell, i don't know if all old timers feel the same as me, but when i stumble on a new thread like this one it just bring my memories back to the old days of this hobby, where mentioning money was a taboo in itself and how everything changed from back then.
    we really have grown old, man.
    Everyone have grown up somehow.
    The hobby itself have grown up.
    We lost our own innocence as children in the process.
    Is a sad thing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Chronos5884, kenar, Xaos and 5 others like this.
  2. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    And here’s proof about my claims of Tinni leaving Foxaholic in the way she did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I have experience running over 20 websites and I can say with authority that you are calculating wrong.

You seem to be thinking that I use ad views to cheat translators and you do the right thing.
    I pay translator based on word count of each chapter.

With things like bots, your system doesn't make any sense.

I don't care how you run your website.

It is misleading to paint that $0.50 per 1,000 views to pay translators as standard.

Its paints the ridiculous picture that average translator websites earn close to $1 per 1,000 Views when $0.10- $0.30 per 1,000 views is actually more accurate.

Comments like yours creates misunderstandings and people start making threads that translators earn $200,000 from 200,000 ad views.

You also admitted to losing money on your system.

I will bet a million bucks my Ferrari that you have lost a lot more money than you think

@nonononononono @Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 and nonononononono like this.
  4. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    And now because people are accusing me of hurting Centinni translators...

They can just pack up and leave Centinni even if they really needed the money. There are millions of groups out there that you can join instead - Woopread, Second Life Translations, CG, WordExcerpt, Isotls to name a few. Hell, start your own group and become the next big group in the community. It ain't that hard as Centinni's growth has shown.

If Centinni can lie / miscommunicate with a translator this badly that it exploded like the shitshow it has become, YOU DO NOT WANT THEM AS A BOSS. I repeat, YOU DO NOT WANT THIS KIND OF MANAGEMENT. It was another translator that was the victim. It could had been you. It could even be you next.

I don't care if the miscommunication was made on the part of the both sides - it is ultimately's management's fault for not checking and confirming that Kitket understood the new terms. Again, management is called MANAGEMENT because they manage everything. Did they manage anything here in this situation? Nope. That ain't the management you want to be under.

Everything could had been resolved quietly if Tinni didn't open her mouth to (hypocritically) call someone a "traitor" while pinging everyone in the Centinni server.

As JFK said "If you are not part of the solution, you must be part of the problem." If you continue to stay with Centinni, you are condoning this kind of behavior and management. You have told the leaders that they can continue doing what they have done with little punishment. That is fine with me - you have made your choice, but I have made mine as well. And my choice is quite simple: I am ensuring that people do not even think that Foxaholic condones this kind of management nor - as Shichi was implying intentionally or not - is Foxaholic on any level run with the same kind of management and misbehavior.

Yes this is a good lesson with Centinni's management group, and yes they can learn, change and grow better as people and leaders from it. But at the same time, you have options - better options. Start your own group. Find a new group. Find someone with enough maturity to apologize when they fucked up.

Ask help when you don't understanding something or when you are weak in a certain aspect. There is no shame in making mistakes. But it is shameful if you try to place the blame elsewhere instead of admitting fault. You can always do better, but that is only possible when you face your mistakes head on.
    upload_2020-8-1_13-41-2.png

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  5. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, so you're acting as a freelancer then? That narrows things down considerably since your statement in question (quoted below) doesn't match up with the freelancer income tax rates in India that I know of (especially with how numbers seemed to have waffled to 12% at one point in this entire thread and I've done too much homework to hunt down why or who misread what that led to that) and the income tax government site you linked is just the general site with no clue as to which section you're referring to (very suss of you there. Always link sections you're talking about).

Now, if I read your statement above correctly, you are only taking 10% of the earnings (even without the new tax factor involved). However, if I reread Kitket's explanation, you're taking 30%. At this point, I'm confused af what anyone's role is in this place because what does it mean by "chapter poster" and where do the missing % go (70 +10+18=98 OR 70+18+??? to who?=100). Either way, it's confusing af and I'm just sticking to 10% and 30% for my range.

According to Kitket's calculations, you earned $347 during the 2+ months they were there (c85 was released in May). That means Possessing Nothing earned all of you $173.5 per month. I had a look at your site and you have...I honestly cannot count how many titles because your site keeps crashing. I'll just leave it as 16 titles (from the list of popular titles you showcase in the main page) and the rest earn $0. Okay. You have 16 titles. If all of them are as high performing as Possessing Nothing (including rounding and covering for the rest of your titles [which when I clicked on show all had 100+ results which I couldn't count because of crash again]), your site is earning $2776 a month, $33,312 a year. (Tbh, it's most likely higher but I did say I'll only count the 16).

If you're counting yourself as a normal freelancer, you would be paying 30% for taxes according to Source A. Which you yourself have disputed by saying you're paying 18%. So, you're not paying that. We move on to Source B.

In Source B, you would be what he calls an "Outsourcing Business Services Provider". Now, in point 2 of my preface statements, he states you do not need to report a minimum of 50% profit. That means your profits can be as low as 10% of the total revenue your business generates and you'll be fine. You'll only be taxed for the 10% profit. And you will qualify for the 18% income tax (only without Letter of Undertaking which I assume is the case for you since you cited that). Side note: have you gotten your GST number yet? Point 3 states you need one since you're citing the 18% income tax.

At this point, you may ask why just the 10% profit. Let me bring your attention to point 4 from Source C. The money you pay other freelancers are considered your expenses. Thus, the 18% tax should be coming from your portion of the share and not the pool you share with the translating team ++. You are not their employer. You do not pay for their taxes. The most you can take out from the pool is website charges.

Edit #1: I had a moment to refresh my mind and reread Centinni's statement on the other thread instead of the website ver. You say the tax % only ever came from your pockets and never from the pool. Why then did you change payment structures for tax purposes? That doesn't add up with the impression you gave via discord chat logs. Doesn't really matter in relation to the other parts of this whole essay though.

Edit #2: I had some time while waiting for my dupes in Oni to reread my wall of text and realise my initial thoughts were correct. The statement on the website states you thought the tax came from the pool. Wtf you. Stop trying to mislead people by not knowing your official stance.

The average income for India according to google is $1670 per year. Can you really tell me you can't afford an accountant? 10% of $33k (rounded down for easy maths) is $3300. 30% of $33k is $9900. Let's say Possessing Nothing is the highest earner of your pool. The rest of the 16 titles only earn you half of what P.N. does due to slow months etc. (15*(173.5/2)*12)+(173.5*12)=17697. 10% of that is $1769.7 and 30% of that is $5309.1. And this is all rough maths and nothing concrete regarding Ko-fi (580 cups so far) and Patreon ($604 a month). No matter what, you are above the average income Google states and you can definitely afford to get an accountant.

TL;DR, Indian tax laws are no excuse for you to hide behind making everyone pay for your individual income taxes and not properly sorting out your accounting so it's a mess for anyone to even know how much they're owed. You also earn enough to hire an accountant, so no excuses there either.

Edit #3 for tl;dr, your statements are all over the place and contradicting yourself. It's clear you don't know what on Earth you're talking about. The only question is if you're doing that to be greedy or if you're just ignorant.

Now time for me to catch up on the tea I missed in the 3 or so hours I spent researching Indian tax laws. JFC, I spend more time on this than researching for my own freelancing business. But then again I have an accountant in the family to help out so hah! Thanks, ma!

Edited for formatting...and it failed. I give up on hyperlinking quote title thing. And edited again after noticing something new.

Yuunayoon, myhlmes, Serefina and 13 others like this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Come on. Its easier to kiss shake hands and make up
    No need to add previous baggage to this. Everyone is human
    If I can forgive Brie Larsson they can forgive each other.
    Of course, parting ways might work better in forgiving each other

I beg to differ. People were profiting from the very beginning but it was not the translators but pirates. I know there was a pirate website that took donations.
    Translators are simply the ones benefitting now.
    You are only pointing out negatives, but I doubt anyone wants to go back to one chapter every 6 months compared to 1 chapter per day that we get now.
    I know nostalgia makes us look at the past with rose tinted glasses but let's not obscure the facts.
    It was shitty then.
    Especially in the manga scene, I stopped reading manga as a result.
    The same with subtitles, to combat pirates
    • you had to sign up for Livejournal,
    • request to join the group
    • and then get a password to get the subtitles.

It was pretty ridiculous. I prefer right now :sweating_profusely::notlikeblob:

DjB1 and Random.poet like this.
  7. Butters

Butters Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or maybe Kiki has more moral integrity than you and cares about her translators, seeing them as real people and not simple tools to make money.

Plenty of people are well aware of your shady practices, and while you may have business sense, just because you turn over profit does not mean you are the only one capable of doing so.

Kiki has already stated that, while she lost money in previous months for to covid related ad revenue drop (a statement corroborated by other, trustworthy and professional translators/holsters), they makes a viable margin of profit.

You flexing that you have a million dollars, or a Ferrari, that you are betting on the internet in a wager where no one can uphold you to your claim even if it proves false (or correctly) actually devalues your statements.

Additionally, just because your experience is x does not mean another cannot have y or z experience. Kindly respect that others may hold different values and standards to your own. You do not speak for everyone, despite having experience with 20+ sites.

8. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    true. for example this novel I am translating.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-record-of-bartons-fantastical-events/
    the total view I received is around 1000 views per chapter.
    I have already translated 50 chapters for that novel.
    so 50K views probably.
    But guess how much I made?
    $0.2 LOL
    The highest ad impression I got is 184
    the rest of them is below 100, most of the pages are below 50.
    But anyway, it is not because of the money that I stop translating that.
    There are so many wonderful books. I don't have much time to translate them all.

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, what a joke.
    This is the issue with such threads.
    People will start making things up.
    Provide evidence and stop throwing out things like "shady practices".
    Sorry to break it to you but there is something called Industry standards for ads regardless of what some in this community choose to believe eg $200,000 for 200,000 ad views.
    You are not an authority on the topic stop spreading misleading information.
    I feel sorry for readers like you. Thanks to your ridiculous expectations, some translators have quit because they cannot deal with the pressure.
    Anyone who doesn't do what you want is shady haha.
    Pathetic

Xaos likes this.
  10. Kiki0246

Kiki0246 Top Notch Fujoshi, Owner of ISO TLs

Reading List:
    Link
    EDIT: Removed screenshots since point proven. Waah good thing Etvo made the comment or I wouldn't have remembered.

Xaos, DjB1, just_areader2 and 4 others like this.
  11. Butters

Butters Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please see:

kenar and maiphan like this.
  12. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kiki is correct. Wuxiaworld and Volare, when we did adrev sharing, both did adrev sharing on total views, regardless of whether or not those views were adblocked - that's just how we calculated things. For years, we gave $0.60 per 1000 views. WW/Volare/Iso just give and gave much better rates than you, that's all there is to it. And it's not just a matter of being 'massive sites', because Iso aint that big either.

13. CoilingTomatoes

CoilingTomatoes Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How many big numbers. Bruh i dont understand it at all. Bruh.

kenar, Xaos and Butters like this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Stop with the character assassinations and just point out the most important information that you omitted which is your RPM/CPM/eCPM
    You also pointed out that you pay $220 for Premium ads
    Average websites do not earn enough to even pay such.
    The screenshot looks like Ezoic.
    The keyword here is Premium ads. Average websites do not qualify for Premium ads.
    Average websites do not get as many views as you do either.
    Do not throw words out like standard and average when you are talking about Premium ads and larger than average websites.

Also, Google Analytics is just an estimate for traffic. It is not considered an accurate judge of earnings. Like anyone who knows the basics will tell you.

EDIT: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/3481946?ctx=tltp&hl=en

15. Kiki0246

Kiki0246 Top Notch Fujoshi, Owner of ISO TLs

Reading List:
    Link
    lol wuji, i'm done. the facts are there and I'm not arguing.

OMG THOUGH BIG BOSS NOTICED ME hahahaha

Blitz, Serefina, kenar and 8 others like this.
  16. Autumn Crane

Autumn Crane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as a simp im siding with my queen kiki, come 1v1 me in league :mad:

Blitz, Serefina, kenar and 5 others like this.
  17. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    haha, i never said that i prefer how it was and yes i do prefer how it is today, hell i remember in the past we had to wait weeks sometimes for a anime subtitles, i remember how i got up in the morning 4AM or earlier to check up a internet tv transmission of some animes in full JP just for the spoiler and comments about it in the "community" without understanding anything just because we would need wait at least one week to a full blow month for a subtitle , and sometimes we had to put up 3 or more 4 "channels" up because one would simple freeze in the middle of the EP and this sometimes was in school day where i had to go to school 6AM , mostly Friday to check it up the sunday morning animes it was hell and this was for the "good" "popular" series, the so-so series and average ones, most groups only touched it when dvd rips came out.
    and i won't even comment about the vhs scene, because to be real i "knew' anime back them but back then i lived in fuck hell zone of my country back then, getting your hands on it was pretty much harder than winning the lottery, after all we had one or two winners every week but Vhs anime tapes was far less than that.
    Plus nor i denied that some people was getting money, like i stated it was more a taboo thing.
    trust me, i like nostalgia like any other people, but i don't sure as hell MISS it.

i just pointed out that we really have grown up and lost our innocence somehow, as grown up everything became more natural and orderly but without doubt it became a lot more UGLY in the process too, it was a undeniable fact, at least the community in my country was more united, even with all the drama we also know about, like backstabbing,robbing series, we as whole was far more united.
    Is like you said before: when we start talking about money the ugly face of human race pop up.

Chronos5884, kenar, Xaos and 3 others like this.
  18. Pyon

Pyon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just here to support my precious grand daughter Kiki

19. Blu De Blob

Blu De Blob Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just here to say: All hail Kween Kiki <3

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What I hate is that you have members of this community who want translators to be slaves.
    It is work even if you call it fan translating. I keep getting character assassinations for pointing out that it is a business and work as long as labor is involved.
    People should be paid fairly.
    Now we have another problem, people think so much money is being made but people refuse to share lol
    No one knows who my translators are but I keep getting accused of shady practices lol.
    I know when I started my biggest crime was paying translators to translate novels while speaking only English myself

This community is filled with ridiculous people. You can never meet their expectations, I learnt a lot from trying to please these assholes.
    I tell readers on my websites, I do not really give a crap about your reading experience. What I care about is earning enough to pay my translators so you can consistently get your next fix.
    You are right, readers are essentially junkies.
    I don't have to pretend that readers are my priority.
    Someone put it very beautifully when explaining those who consume free content

Readers are fish
    Novels are bait

Your priority is getting good bait not talking to the fish lol

I have gotten threats and hate email because I translate novels for people to read.
    Humans are crazy

I don't recommend sharing your information to be fair.
    Goodluck, nah you don't need it. You guys are already lucky bastards
    Very soon, we will get people claiming translators earn $5 million a day
    I blame you in advance
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2020
    Random.poet and Kiki0246 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.