Discussion Changes coming to WW - possibly

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Jul 5, 2019.

?

Surprised?

1. Yea

12 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Nay

75 vote(s)
    86.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.wuxiaworld.com/announcement/please-read-input-needed-completed-novels
    didn't see a thread about it. personally, don't read much on WW (other than TCF) so I'm unaffected. I see why it's necessary tho. Inevitable with licensing, revenue matters. now if you'll excuse me, I'll be busy :blobpopcorn_cool:

edit: oh do give your input. it is necessary to gauge public response and stuff.

edit2: Just to be clear, this is about completed novels. not ongoing ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2019
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. GodBrandy

GodBrandy ❮Evil Shitposter❯

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Nathan

Nathan Not-staving graduate

Reading List:
    Link
    RWX is smart and WW is a giant in the translations community. I personally think that the app they're launching will be fine

5. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't read the reddit, but having a license to host completed works for ten years is pretty good, by itself alone. Granted the whole intent was to provide an English reading community exposure to CN & KN works. and now that that is finished. I guess sustainability is a thing.

How to balance a returning readership while trying to gain an influx of readers

6. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    thats bad news for the broke ones around here
    i came here for free entertainment and mosr novels on ww are not good enough that i would pay money for them

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't read cuz I don't read anything on WW. :blobpopcorn_cool:

Kanna Kamui and Femme Fatale like this.
  8. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    for me it is about value incentive, and well most novels do not provide a reason for me to want to buy them I rather drop and go buy a better book.

9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That is because members here at NUF are doing important things such as procrastinating, keeping the bed warm with our body heat, breathing in oxygen... all important stuff. So we simply couldn't find the time/effort...

10. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like 3. You could just buy an arc you loved to reread later, or buy it like an actual fing book and not pay 4000 low low payments of 3 cents(that becomes 120 fing dollars btw)

Heck I bought pmg or something on Kindle just because I liked how the author didn't flip out and talk about all his lost sales to people who would have had to wait 8 years to even have a bad option to buy it legit >.>

Nom de Plume likes this.
  11. Deleted member 188892

Deleted member 188892 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This is quite the hot potato depending on how it's handled.:blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

12. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    apparently there will be a discount if you buy the whole book.

13. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ye I was saying that. Buying it like an actual book or by chapter is why I like that idea. Cuz let's face it some stories we may want to reread entirely.... And some only have an arc or two worth rereading. Giving the option to choose which is more affordable/needed is nice.

And I have 0 issue with completed novels getting paywalled. As long as its ongoing you're building it's fanbase, but after that the growth relatively stops. Its time for the people who followed to the end to pay up in respect to the authors(and I will be checking to make sure ww didn't lose its morals and the author is getting his fair share). I piss and moan about qidian a lot but I'm not allergic to paying... I'm allergic to paying qidian/tencent >..>

But yeah TL;Dr I think option 3 is everything I would want. I can already think of a few I'd buy just an arc or two, and a few I'd buy the whole book

Nom de Plume likes this.
  14. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    yeh...plus the price point is decent compared to the alternative...

Nom de Plume likes this.
  15. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    Buying the book on kindle is my preferred way to support the authors and translators already. It means less time stuck in front of my desktop, which is probably better for my back and waistline.

Nom de Plume and anon like this.
  16. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    if they use one of this options now have a chance to become as much as a debate as back when qidian first emerged

17. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless they use the nuke option at the end which I hope they don't. It'll still be free for current stuff. But if you follow the story to the end the author kept your interest enough to at least grab a purchase or maybe just grab a few of your favorite moments(I'm hoping 3 so you could do either). I would never pay upfront for these "novels" to be perfectly honest, but if one does hold my interest and give me enjoyment I'll reward that with muh green stuff.

Though to be honest I wish they had their own publishing setup/reader or something... Not a huge fan of Amazon, don't have personal beef with them so I'll still buy from there if needed... But id definitely prefer to cut them out.

18. joyfan

joyfan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like solution 3 with mix of 4 and 2. You can try implementing some of the idea that webcomic apps have been using + VIP.
    E.g video ads, daily free token, ticket for one chapter of x novel, buy in masses for cheaper rate etc.

It’s kinda banking on the impatience of the reader (to pay) or asking the reader to work for it (free)

Sure some people might not like it but the only way the industry can flourish if there is a platform that generates money.

19. MostlyBlue

MostlyBlue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh, the webnovels themselves are as good as fanfictions from fanfiction.net, thats why i never would pay for most chinese webnovels. I'd pay money for the ones reaching actual novel level in writing. Like godsfall chronicles for example.

20. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I'm against 4 entirely. That will kill the industry not help it. Sure it'll generate cash... But there are a lot of good novels on Kindle that don't have a delay in chap releases, dont drag out the story, and don't end up costing 200 dollars by the time you buy all the chaps

If everyone starts adopting the qidian strat imma just bail to real novels. If I need to pay to read an unknown novel, I'm damn sure going to buy an ACTUAL novel, not take a risk and hope that this is one of the 1/1000 of these tled novels that doesn't turn into watered down crap that the author forgot half his characters in, or turn into some repetitive preaching of the 'mighty Chinese government' because the author was desperately keeping from s close call to being censored :blobexpressionless::blobpensive:

I'll buy the ones I enjoyed out of respect, but yeah I'm not paying for these until I know it's worth it as a whole. I may buy an arc I loved on the spot, but paying as the chaps come out is a ridiculous risk. Do you know how many times I've read 4 chaps and felt like I just read copypasta with a few words changed for 5 minutes?. Not going to just say "eh w.e. maybe the plot will move tomorrow/next week" if I had to pay to read that drivel >.>

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.