Discussion Chapter Titles in TOC

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by WeaselLord, Nov 20, 2017.

?

Do You Prefer To Have Chapter Titles in the Table Of Contents

Poll closed Dec 10, 2017.
  1. Yes, and I agree with the raped by a horse thing

18.3%
  2. yes

42.3%
  3. no, fuck you and your spoiler titles

5.6%
  4. no

1.4%
  5. Why can't they just have two TOCs, one with chapter titles and one without?

11.3%
  6. I DONT GIVE A FUCK

7.0%
  7. I don't care as long as the TOC is up to date

14.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammyhamham

hammyhamham Only existing and not living

Reading List:
    Link
    That tag though "Raped by a horse" :blobjoy::blobrofl:

2. Legendary_Exor

Legendary_Exor {Even this Turtle knows NTR is evil]

Reading List:
    Link
    I bookmark when I stop reading.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  3. LW130003

LW130003 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (y) I agree with you. There are many novels that I dropped because of the problem that you have mentioned. In fact, the majority of novels that I followed all I have chapter title.

CHAPTER TITLE IS A MUST!

4. Vexram

Vexram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i find it funny how many people rage over chapter titles being spoilers. depending on the author some chapter titles literally cover 1/10 the chapter or even just a single paragraph. and sure a lot of chapter titles are spoilers, but come on, if the stories aren't already predictable enough, knowing the MC beats villain B in chapter 103 doesn't matter all that much when you knew they were gonna fight soon. to me i like chapter titles for the most part. i get a sneak-peak at the chapter and get to learn how things turn out. or after reading the chapter wonder what the hell the title had to do with it.

as for people saying if you can't remember where you stopped you should just start over... i can't help but wonder what golden stories your reading that you'd re-read hundreds of chapters over again. most of the stories i've read aren't worth the effort. and trust me. if you don't have a NU account and have a reading list, it's super easy to lose track of where you're at. i remember coming back to one story thinking i was at around 250-300, but turns out i was at around 350-400. that's a massive difference in space, and not having chapter titles would mean mastering google search and hoping my search history doesn't make it harder to find the chapter or skimming through chapters hoping i'm getting close.

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So when I first replied to this thread, I was at work and didn't have time to do more than briefly agree with the OP. Now that I'm home, I want to reiterate: I get really frustrated by ToC's without titles, too. For the simple reason that I often like looking ahead through the titles to get a brief idea of what's coming up and what I have to look forward to. It's a small thing, but it's something I like to do, and it does annoy me when I can't simply because someone thought there was actually a point to a ToC that's just a giant list of numbers.

It's like...... Either include the titles, or just don't even bother in the first place.

Seraphic likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally speaking, I dislike titles at the ToC.

Sometimes seeing the title of a chapter just a few chapters ahead can give you a huge spoiler, and this might accidentally happen when you were simply waiting for your page to load.

I think the ToC with numbers only is very useful for any reader that doesn't use NU.

... That said, I do include the titles on my own site, simply because I asked my readers and they said they preferred having titles... I mean, I'm not the one being spoiled, so I'm fine with either.

When I'm reading though, I prefer having a ToC without titles.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  7. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dear dem bookmark people, I usually decide to temp drop something because im like WTF IS THIS SHT THATS HAPENING NUHUH I REFOOS TO REED DIS. then I notice the story a month later and im like oh yeah, it wasnt THAT bad i guess, ill pick up where i left off :)
    also, i have never used a non-physical bookmark in my entire life, and as a stubborn idiot who wont change even when it is obviously smarter and more benificial to do so, i intend to keep it that way.
    also at this point ive decided to giv up on spelling becus hoo the fk cares anymore in this day of tesxting (says the 18 year old)

also if you read all of my posts since i started on this siite, you can see that I slowly gave up hope on humanity and grammar and spelling and logic and avoiding swear words because fuck

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  8. ImaBlacksmith

ImaBlacksmith Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I pray for this person to find his salvation,And I agree to that chapter title is a must.I drop many many many novels(4000+) cause of that problem aand you know what,nobody cares for me and they just laugh like:Dude,theres a thing called bookmark.So maybe one day I will smash them with this hammer of divine retribution

9. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more annoyed when they don't update the TOC, like when they released Chapter 150 and the last Chapter in the TOC is Chapter 62.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  10. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you, Chapter title is a must!
    Down with no chapter title! :blobhero:

WeaselLord likes this.
  11. WeaselLord

WeaselLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made a seperate rant regarding thqat a long time ago ahfnd you cn see what i ment about not caring about the speling
    u can right> right?

12. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I think NU solves most of the OP's concerns, but I'd still prefer chapter titles because I like to go back over past chapters looking for a particular scene or line, and it's really hard to figure out where it is if the chapter numbers are all I have for reference.

Plus, if I'm picking up a novel again after a while, it's nice to be able to skim the chapter titles so I can remember what the plot was (more important on those generic xianxia where they all kind of blend together).

And like @Westeller I like looking ahead a little to see what's coming up...but sometimes I also want to be spoiled because I find certain plot points absolutely infuriating, and would prefer to drop the novel before having to read them.

WeaselLord and Westeller like this.
  13. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Could be worse a series with over 100+ chapters got no ToC. :blobsad:

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  14. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I disagree with you.
    Heck, I don't even like reading the title for the chapter I'm already at...

I think you should have at least put a poll about this (cause I'm kinda interested) after all it's a discussion, isn't it?

15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of horse are we talking about? :hmm:

16. MeoWoe

MeoWoe [Altair] [Exqúisite]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes of course...its hard to find the chapters you last read if TOC dont have titles..

17. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Specifically when the novel has 2000-3000 chapters. Or to find NSFW content to research.. :blobpeek:

18. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Title in TOC for searching MC romance moment :aww::aww:

19. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    no, fuck you and your spoiler titles <- This is a stupid option, why are you even using the TOC? Just click next chapter button if you don't want to see chapter titles.
    I read Undefeated God of War and I stopped somewhere around chapter 300-450 but I don't know where. The TOC doesn't have chapter titles and may a 4-eyed, 10-legged creature rape you, I'm not gonna click them through.
    that is Odin riding on Sleipnir

20. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh HTF you are supposed to find correct chapter with just number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.